The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

After their last meetin wi the incensed Captain o the Rakehell and havin listened t' Dillard recount how she'd not only left him standin, but near thew him off the ship along with Relentless' letters o credit, Roberts was wont to consider how he'd fare. He already felt she didn't trust him. This should be an interestin meetin..Still, he'd no problem with goin. Gave him a chance t' see th CAt anyways. He were't scared o her surly crewman neither. Warn't much in th normal world which could shake a hardened sailor as he. It was the unseen which pricked at th back o his mind. Roberts agreed wi Mr. Tar's request. He wanted a chance t' discuss other ..matters wi Red Cat 'fore they shoved off fer th Tortugas.

"Aye sah.. t'would be me pleasure" He hadn't met the aforementioned crew member. Roberts straightened a bit and addressed the Captain "An whar shall I find Mr. Smithe?"

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resettling in her chair Red Cat held the ornate goblet out to Ransom and said "She be sailin wi th men on the Relentless" When Ransom leaned to pour, the Cat pulled her glass back and sat a little straighter as a though occurred, causing The Captain to almost pour on the tabletop. "Come t' thnk o it, I didna see Silkie climb o'er the rail with the otters." Cat paused holding her glass out again as she remembered the sight she'd enjoyed earlier. Just as Ransom began to tilt the bottle, she gestured once again with her cup "You'd think she be wit em..Hope everything is right with th lass" Red Cat smirked at Captain Ransom.."Oi gerlie.. ye gonna pour tha? "

"I'll not pour a drop until you put that bloody glass down." Cat's hand froze in mid-air, so I took that opportunity to refil her goblet. "There."

I plopped back into my chair. "If I don't hear from Jacky soon, I'll send one of my crew over to let him know when we'll be ready to leave. I still can't believe he thought I'd borrow credit from him for this trip. I don't indept myself to anyone, even friends. Jane offered her purse to help pay for the provisions, but I told her if this trip is a failure, I wouldn't be able to pay her back anything." I took a sip of the Port, letting it roll around my mouth before swallowing. Then I looked up at the Cat. "Like I said, I sure hope Commodore Tar knows what he's getting us all into."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Not removing the goblet until Ransom obliged with an additional splash, Red Cat sat back throwing a leg over the chairs arm rest, which ended in a gilded claw. She took a sip and smiled at Captain Ransom.

"Oh Jacky knows wot he's doin. He may be single of mind about things which leads him deeper inta the water 'fore he realizes his coats gettin wet.." she took off her tricorn and tossed it on the table. "But he hasn't done wrong by me yet. I'll lend him me trust fer this trip. 'Sides Roberts is along an will likely temper any rash ideas wi his superstitious nonsense. Plus he ain't bad wi a cutlass r pistol" Cat remembered Roberts working his way across the deck of a ship once, like a giant leveling everything in his path. "Aye, JAcky's tough an 'twill be goode t' add ol Johnathan t' the equation." Cat tossed back the rest of the Port and stood.. retrieving her hat and tucking it under her arm. "Where's Miss Jane anyhow?" She hadn't seen the gerl since coming onboard. "I'm headin up to th waist n see wot be happenin on th Relentless, if ye see th gerl, will ye tell her I'd like ta speak wi her?" With that she tugged on her hat, snapped a quick salute in friendly jest and headed out the door.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Jane had been puttering about the Rakehell, lending her hand with the incoming supplies, when one of Ransom's men told her that Red Cat was looking to talk with her. Jane thanked the man, who's name had already escaped her memory before climbing out of nearly full hold. Coming onto the open deck, Jane was surprised at the late hour. She'd nearly forgotten how quickly time could pass when there was work to be done.

"Ye were looking fer me, Red Cat?" Jane called, wiping her hands against her dusty skirts as she approached the other lady.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Red Cat was glad t' see the other of her friends comin toward her ..Jane's hair was pulled out of her neat topknot in strands here and there and she brushed dust from her skirts.

"Aye Jane! didna see ye since comin aboard this fine ship. Ye look as though youv'e climbed it end t' end gerl!" The Cat bent to brush some dust from Janes shoulder. "Ere..good as new!" She had a delicate subject to approach and was waiting for the deck hands to move off a bit further.

"Jane lass come set a moment an take yer rest " The piratess' sat down on a large coil of rope and as Jane primped her blonde locks, Red Cat spoke.

"T'is really no worry o mine..but it seems t' me thar be some ...connection twixt ye n Roberts. Now I don't mid others business as a rule..but he's..well I just want te be sure everything be ok. He seems a bit jumpy about ye. Why would he avoid ye then?"

"Oh" Jane muttered, tucking a stray hair behind her ear. She'd been so concerned about avoiding Ransom's questions, she'd completely forgotten about Red Cat. She had no idea how much of Roberts past the Cat knew, but it was always safe to err on the lesser side.

"Tis nuthin. Jest, tha past really." Jane chewed anxiously at her thumb nail, avoiding eye contact with the curious Cat as much as possible without seeming obvious. She hoped in vain that her vague answer would be enough to keep the other women happy.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Smithe was a short fella, an he'd probably be taller if he had a neck. He had one, but at first glance ye might miss it; he looked like his head sat on his shoulders. His baldin' pate, an happy demeanor made him look jolly. He was surprisingly quick on his feet, an a fast climber. Well liked, he made friends wit' the new shipmates quickly.

Smithe was tying off the bow o' the jolly, when Roberts came on deck. Dillard was receivin' orders from Mister Tar, who had also come on deck, an was pointin' in Smithe's direction.

Roberts headed in the direction of the Jollyboat where Tar had told him he'd find the new crewman. As he traveled aft, he spied a short jolly feller he assumed t' be Smithe. Roberts hailed th' man by name and th favor was returned. He Could hear Mr. Tar barkin some orders on deck as he climbed aboard the Jollly boat an made his introduction to Smithe.

"Ye must be that Roberts fella, Mister Dillard says t' take ye ashore. The other mate in the boat is Jonesy, he won't say much, fer his tongue has been cut out! But he ain't deaf, so don't yell at 'em, hates that he does."

"Shall we cast off than Mister Roberts?"

"Aye that I be " Said Roberts givin a nod across t' Jonsey as he spoke. He turned back t' th diminutive crew hand an said " Mr. Tar has tasked me with makin sure we're ready t sail together with the Rakehell " He nodded towards the shore and the men followed his gaze to the other ship still at the dock. He was actually lookin forward t ' wot may transpire with her firey Captain. "Aye, when yer ready Mr. Smithe" Roberts took a seat an looked towards the Rakehell as the Jollyboat thumped once against the Relentless and headed towards the shore.

Red Cat didn't move a muscle...but stared at Jane fer a moment..

Touche Ms. Melchert she thought t' herself as her eyes narrowed slightly an she pressed her lips tgether a bit. So ..t'is something , as I suspected...

Cat released her gaze a moment as she caught movement in the bay from the corner of her vision. "Well ok." She smiled at Jane and made to stand up. "Jes checkin" As she walked along the deck watching the Jolly from the Relentless approach, Red CAt thought. OK Roberts..ol mate...yer turn..

"Beggin' yer pardon sire, 'board the Relentless, Mister is reserved fer wot ye call the ship's officers. Like Mister Dilliard an Mister Tar, an yer self bein' liason. Jus call me Smithe, sire." Mister Roberts nodded, an I had the lads on deck release the bow line.

We cast off, an set sail fer the shore line, an the docks o' the Rakehell. Mister Roberts had a twinkle in his eye, an seemed at ease wit' his duties.

Smithe was a funny little feller who seemed t' take his job, an oddly his lack o title wit pride. As the Jolly sailed towards the docks, the fresh air of the evenin flapped it's canvas, an a few gulls passed by t' see if there was fare aboard fit fer a scavenger. Roberts enjoyed everything about sailin an the sea. Whether in the small Jollyboat r on a ship out in th swells..his reverie was broken as they neared the Rakehell. The big man spied the smaller Cat on decks, arms crossed and one boot up on a sea chest. He knew that look. Trouble be brewin agin....wot did I do now Cat? he asked himself under his breath as he recounted his steps in his head.

Silkie had come back to the Relentless just about the time the jolly boat had sailed to the Rakehell. There sat Roberts and some little man sailing the vessel.

She popped up beside the boat making sure they had seen her, dove again and came up on the other side a few times. As the boat approched the Rakehell she leand to her back and with a flip of her tail she splashed the big man on board.

If she could have laughed she would have. Best she could do is keep her head above water and watch Roberts reaction.

Jane released a soft sigh as Red Cat dropped the line of questioning. Pulling her legs up, she made herself comfortable on the tall coil of rope. She found a loose end, absently twisting the piece into random knots. The Cat was watching something just past the rail. Stretching Jane caught sight of the small boat skimming across the water.

"That tha yawl comin or from tha Relentless?" She questioned, already guessing the answer. Red Cat simply nodded, not moving another muscle as she eyed the approaching boat.

"Don't guess any ones brought Mr. Tar to his bearings yet then, aye?" Jane laughed, wondering what news, and better yet, what excitement, the little boat would be bringing them.

Red Cat chuckled when she anwered Jane, fer as she opened her mouth t' speak, never takin her eyes off the smaller vessel, she saw Roberts become the victim of a seal playin about the Jolly's hull.

"I've not had a chance t' speak further t' Mister TAr luv, I suppose we shall see wot word he has sent yer dear Mr. Roberts wi for our goode Captain" Her expression set again as she watched the Jollyboat tie up.

Looked like a greetin' party would be waitin' fer Mister Roberts, we sailed toward the branch dock in shallow water. We'd tie off not far from the Rakehell, an wait fer Mister Roberts return.

Jonesy dropped the lug sail an as we coasted close t' the dock, an Jonesy deftly jumped on t' the dock, an tied the moorin' lines t' the dock.

"Mister Roberts, Jonesy an I will be a waitin' here fer ye, sire. Course we might wet our whistles, if ye think ye may be a while."

Roberts, even tho he weren't actually official, was glad he didn't have t' reprimand th men should they have had the gall t' laugh at his bein splashed. "Aye lads"..He tossed them a coin "I'll be needin ye back at nightfall. See ye stay outer trouble now. "They knukcled their brows to him in turn and continued to tie up the boat.

As he called for permission to come aboard the Rakehell, he secretly wished he were headin to th pub wit Jonsey an Smithe..

Red Cat knew Ransom wouldn't mind, and didn't see Africa about..She leaned over the rail an fixed Roberts with a look.

"Permission grated ye big oaf, now git yer self up here"

She stood at the top an watched as Roberts took a defensive posture an headed up. As he crested the rail and swaggered over to the Cat, she looked him up an down. Her face was unchanged and quite un merry. She mused..Aye, but he was a good lookin pirate. Even if he were soaked.

"Roberts..did ye swim here? Wots the matter? th' comapny in th' Jollywatt was not t' yer likin? Mayhaps ye prefer... Miss Jane?"

His eyes suddenly went to hers. He'd been lookin over her shoulder waitin fer the tirade to cease. "Aye just wot is it atween ye? Ye've avoided her since she arrived. Now Roberts, I know yer not one to ignore the women.." He looked a bit hurt at her comment, it was true..but he didn't like to discuss it given their past. Plus she'd called his name formally.

"Red Cat!" he interrupted her inquest so sharply that she flinched. He'd raised a palm in th air to halt her words and instantly felt sorry fer any chance she might think he'd ever strike the lass.

He just stared at her for a moment. and said more softly "I'll speak wi ye later Red Cat..not now.." Roberts huffed and turned briskly down th deck to speak with Jane whose skirts he'd just seen quickly turn the corner of the deck.

Jane's attention had drifted to the rope in her hands, a steady line of knots working its way along the cord. She jerked out of her focus when she heard Red Cat mention her name. Dropping the rope she hastened to the bow of the ship, figuring to slip unnoticed down the fore hatch and back to her hammock to avoid any additional interrogation. Jane lifted the hatch and was about to drop into the dimly lit space when Roberts caught up with her. His heavy foot landed on the trap door, the loud thump startling on the otherwise quiet ship.

"May I help ye Mr. Roberts?" A pale brow raised to question him, while green eyes wandered to the open hatch and a possible quick escape.

The late afternoon had started out so well or so Roberts had thought. Now beset with women again..these women..he needed t' be in charge.

The pirate placed himself between the fair skinned lass and her intended escape. He kept his hands at his waist this time. If he'd made Red Cat flinch, he'd surely cause this one to scream. With Ransom somewheres about, it was the last thing he wanted.

He tried to soften his demeanor a bit. Roberts needed answers. Why was Red Cat concerned? He knew the answer, or thot he did, but he didn't know what else had transpired between the women. Roberts fixed her with eyes that matched the caribbean waters just past his shoulder..and still dripping from his clothing..

He leaned in towards her. "Miss Melchert..ye mind tellin Ol' Roberts ..just wot ye shared with the Cat? and anyone else here fer that mattter?" Again as on the docks days earlier, he noticed the gerl didn't shrink back despite his towering over her.

Jane's arms folded across her chest as she looked up at Roberts. Her eyes locked with his, that strange lack of fear coming out in her again. She couldn't figure out why this man, who she knew to be dangerous, didn't inspire the slightest bit of concern in her.

"Oh, ye mean ta say yer ol captain didn't know 'bout yer illustrious past then sir?" Jane smiled brightly. Let him think she'd told his whole story to Red Cat. If nothing else, it was amusing to see him flustered and Jane could use the amusement at the moment.

Roberts was frustrated. The smugness of Jane's comment had piqued him. Red Cat used to take great pleasure in playin on uncertainties as well. This was a game he never liked to play. He wasn't so skilled at the ruse, as he were th more staightforward type. Roberts leaned perilously close to the lass, noticing the stray strands which she kept tucking behind her ear.

"And wot if I did?" he raised an eyebrow, his voice soft and steady, but the undertone was quite clear. "Would ye have told her th truth? or yer own version? Surely ye couldn't know everything that bastard husband of yers were up ta.." He leaned just a bit closer and fixed her eyes with his own. "Ye know he left owin me some coin fer th last trip..."

He hoped the veiled threat would serve to prompt a hasty and honest answer from the lass.

"Mister Roberts!" I snapped at the man who leaned over Jane. "Do you have a reason to be on board this ship, or are you simply here to threaten my crew?"

Behind me, Africa stood like a black oak tree, a big hand on the hilt of his cutlass. At a word, he'd chop Roberts' head off.

"State your business, or get off the Rakehell. I've no time to play guessing games. There's enough mystery about you already, and the look on Jane's face tells me you're not exactly welcome at the moment. Speak up, man!"

Everyone on the ship went quiet. Tunny and Jimmy hovered above on the rat lines. Goose stared goggle-eyed across the deck, a bag of canvass-wrapped tools still in his hand, waiting to be stowed. The young lad I'd hired only a week ago, Seth Henly, froze where he stood near the gang plank. Even the Cat stood silent.

"I'm waiting, Mr. Roberts." I said, my voice a deadly calm.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog