The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"Alright luv, if it's true wot folks says 'bout ye, than it should be no trouble fer ye t' swim t' the Relentless." I paused, an said, "Aye, ye can leave yer things by the jolly boat, an we'll meet ye aboard the Relentless. Then ye come aboard as a member o' me crew. Wot say ye?" If she weren't a selkie, she'd back down. If she were, I better hav clothes waitin' fer her, I thought.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woot! Red Cat had been staring forlornly inta her empty china cup...T'was goode coffee an she would have savored th last sip slowly.

Suddenly she was bein propelled along aside a big pirate who mostly took the direct approach when a thing needed doin.

"Woagh! Roberts...Roberts!" He warn't speakin. She had t' step quickly t' keep up with his lengthy stride, lest she be trundled along like a sack. "Roooooberts dammit! Don't tax me Jon! I'm nil in th mood! n I'm not wont t' hurt ye!" Red Cat's voice trailed off as they headed out the door.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Roberts was a wise man, who could be diplomatic when it were called fer, but he liked things simple. Give him his rum, women, an a ship t' sail on, an he be content t meet th day. All the fussin and nonsense was putting a chink in his demeanor and he had summat t' settle wi th Cat. Now bein as goode a time as any. She were pullin n yowlin but he wasn't givin in as he headed them for the quiet outside.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Silkie raised her eyebrow at the man.

"I'll meet ya at d'jolly boat afor yer departure"

She brushed past Captain Jacky Tar, Swim indeed! Perhaps he should consider with whom he is dealing.

On her way out she nodded to the others in the party, flashed a comely smile and winked at Johnathan Rogers.

She needed to make some arrangements rather quickly.

Red Cat was fair fillin th air wi curses an threats at bein unceremoniously trotted outta th' warm pub inta th salty air. Which was becomin saltier wi every ward she spat. Finally he released her n' she come t' rest wi her back agin th field stone wall. Roberts, still silent leanin over 'er one hand on the wall at her shoulder. He looked cross. She knew better than t' trifle wi him until she knew what he'd be about, an she knew she coudn't slip away from th large man. At least without hurtin him, which Cat didn't want t' do. She glared back at him in silence....

I had never met a selkie 'fore, oh sure the odd mermaid an sea hag, but not a selkie folk. Wondered wot Roberts will think of the lass, when she dons her flippers.

Damn, not sure the jolly will beat her t' the Relentless. Best gather the others an head back t' the boat.

I hope Dillard is on his way back from the Rakehell.

"Yes. Commodore Tar has sent letters of credit for us to draw on. I'd prefer to provender the ship without being indebted to him. I've got a bit of shiny stowed away, and you offered that purse of yours. Between the two of us, is there enough to buy supplies without having to be beholden to Jacky? Before you answer, know that, if this little treasure hunt gets us nothing but lagarto skins and bug bites, I won't be able to repay what you give. We'll both be walking around with nothing but air and lint in our pockets."

Jane's pale brow furrowed as Ransom spoke. She knew their interped leader was acting strangely and this was just more proof. Inwardly she was glad she'd been reassigned to the Rakehell.

"Now why 'e do at? We already antied up r coin last night. Thar's no need fer credit." She dug around in the wrinked folds of her skirts until the small leather pouch apeared. "I've 'nough in 'ere fer tha whole lot n no ties o my own to it. 'Ere."

A thin finger untied the stiff thong to open the bag pulling just one gold coin before offering the entire bundle to the captain. The girl shrugged, the money wasn't her's to begin with & she certainly didn't know what to do with such a bounty except drink it up at the pub. Perhaps it was better to fund their adventure with the coin.

"Less git this little trip provisioned n on tha water 'for Commodor Tar gets ta big fer 'is breeches aye?" Jane smiled, smothering a soft giggle at Mr. Tar's new title. Although if he continued with the random behavoir, he'd quickly earn it.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Roberts was angy enough that he'd almost thrust th Cat agin the wall. Luckily he stopped himself. Sometimes his anger got away wit 'im. All her cursin, threats and squirmin warn't helpin. He met her gaze, waitin fer his Ire t' cool afore he said anything. She looked a little nervous, which most wouldn't notice, but he knew her well enough t' see it in her face. Hard as she tried t' be defiant. Roberts felt a little guilty as he stood there, but she'd brung it upon 'erself..

I thought I saw Roberts give Red Cat the bums rush out o' the Pub, while I was talkin' t' Silkie. They hadn't come back inside.

I walked outside, an saw Roberts was physically restrainin' Red Cat, so I said, "Red Cat are ye alright, luv?" My hand slid t' the handle o' my pistol.

Red Cat could stand it no longer. She stepped closer to Roberts an poked him in th chest wit one ringed finger. "Now listen here ya big, scurvy, damn excuse fer a pirate!" His eyes widened a bit but he didn't move. Roberts opened his mouth to protest "Save yer thoughts Roberts! " She shouted. Narrowing her eyes Red Cat's blood began t' rise as the trepidation wore off.. "Jes who the bloody hell d' ye think yer draggin about like a load o cannon shot? I've a mind t show ye wot for, treatin yer former Captain like tha!" She began to step forward and he back. "Wot the blazes ye mean by jest signin on wi Mr. Tar n lolling off t the Relentless wi out so much as a ward"..she paused her hand falling to her cutlass. "Fess up Jon! ye've got short time an sum expainin ta do!"

"Wot?..." The Cat had Roberts by the lapel o his fancy coat n hadn't loosed th hilt o her sword. She didn't hear Jacky come upon em till he'd drawn his pistol .

Turning t' him wi out releasin her former first mate she said "He'll need help aright.." Red Cat had no idea why she was so piqued..she was still a bit defensive since the incident of two days on. "He'll need help puttin hisself back tagether when I'm done wi him" Roberts was smilin nervously towards Jacky over er shoulder but dropped his face to seriousness as she turned back t' face him. "Is this true wot he say? How is it ye say nuthin t' me?"

Roberts keepin her right hand in his peripheral vision, reached up towards her left hand removing it from his lapel an takin it gently in his. "Caahhht" he said his voice soft and warm. He looked in her eyes smiling. Roberts reasoned what had happened by her n Jacky's conversation. No wonder she were so angry! Red Cat released her hanger, but still glared at him relaxing a bit at his touch. He was always able t' calm her. Somehow as in th past, he gave her a feelin of security when he was this close. It warn't really a romantic notion, just part of an old memory. "Much as ye be the wee Captain," She bristled again..Roberts just smiled " ye are not one t' listen" he said forcefully.

"Ye didna hear Mr. Tar ask me t' sail on th Relentless an ye didna listen t' me warn ye not t' go off alone an git yerself inta trouble. I looked t' ye when he assined berths an ye just made no matter of it. Why ye think I walked off? Ye owe me nuthin"

The last comment stung. Nuthin. Red Cat released the hand which had warmed hers a moment earlier. "Jon, ye know that aint true" she said lookin at the ground. Roberts put a finger to her chin an turned her face to his. "Red Cat ye never will unnerstand..from whar I be standin..we're square. An if that don't set well wi ye, I lay odds thar'll be many other opportunities. He gave her a smile "Ol Roberts aint infallable ye know" She chuckled, her eyes brightening again. "Aye" Cat said "I suppose yer right"

"Wall ye better make haste t' the Jollyboat afore Mr. Tar thinks I run ye through." Roberts gave her a wink an a squeeze and he turned t' go. A few paces away he turned, knuckled his brow t' her an said Cap'n. Red Cat laughed an shook her head as she watched his sealegged gait take him down to the Jollywatt

Jane's pale brow furrowed as Ransom spoke. She knew their interped leader was acting strangely and this was just more proof. Inwardly she was glad she'd been reassigned to the Rakehell.

"Now why 'e do at? We already antied up r coin last night. Thar's no need fer credit." She dug around in the wrinked folds of her skirts until the small leather pouch apeared. "I've 'nough in 'ere fer tha whole lot n no ties o my own to it. 'Ere."

A thin finger untied the stiff thong to open the bag pulling just one gold coin before offering the entire bundle to the captain. The girl shrugged, the money wasn't her's to begin with & she certainly didn't know what to do with such a bounty except drink it up at the pub. Perhaps it was better to fund their adventure with the coin.

"Less git this little trip provisioned n on tha water 'for Commodor Tar gets ta big fer 'is breeches aye?" Jane smiled, smothering a soft giggle at Mr. Tar's new title. Although if he continued with the random behavoir, he'd quickly earn it.

I grinned at the heafty chink of coin in the purse. "Good. That's good." Then I returned to the deck and our visitor.

"Mr. Dillard, you may inform Mr. Toplofty Tar that he can keep his letters of credit. We won't be needing his charity on this trip. Good day to you, sir."

I tipped my hat to him, then turned to Africa. "If any more errand boys with papers show up, especially if they are from the Relentless, make it quite clear they won't be welcome aboard."

Africa smiled. "I be happy da do dat. You wan me ta shoot dem?"

"No, nothing so drastic. Just don't let them on the ship."

I returned to my cabin, but not before shouting to Goose for more hot water and fresh tea.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Silkie slipped into the back room of the apothecaries and began packing her belongings. A an older woman of indeterminate years appeared from the front of the shop.

"Yer off again lass?" asked the woman.

"Aye"

"Ya leavin like any normal lass this time?" She looked surprised.

"Ta ma, nil ma." Silkie shook her head and continued throwing what she owned into the canvas sack.

"Yes and no?"

"Um leaving d' cottage like any normal lass. I am t'swim from the shore."

The woman shook her head. "Ya know ya should not take such risks specially so early in d'day."

Silkie clipped her second Murdock to her belt, lifted a haver sack over her head so that the strap crossed from shoulder to hip and set her dark green cocked hat smartly on her head. "Sábháil (Saval), ya taught mae t'take risks as I see fit. T'date I've not ad any truble det I couldn' andle."

"Ifin yer packin' yer belongins yer eaded fer a ship. In daylight, you are exposed to others." Her tone just this side of scolding and full of worry.

"I trust dose whom I'm t'join. Dare friends." Silkie threw the larger sack onto her shoulder.

"Friends? Who know wot you are?"

"Dey suspect." she crossed to the woman "As does every one in town." Silkie looked down at the small woman, the only mother she ever knew. Took her in as a pup and raised her free to be what she wanted to be. Sábháil, Silkie smiled warmly, to rescue, to save. This woman taught her what it was to be human and Silkie loved her for it. "Ya know I always ra'turn t'ya Sábháil, dis time ul bae nil different"

"I'm comin t'd'shore wit ya." Sábháil went to close the front of the shop.

Silkie shook her head. She was going to ask Sábháil for her assistance. It was good to know that she had no need to ask, ever.

Captain Ransom's response, was not unexpected given all that was said, but who did she confer with to reach her final decision? I replied to her refusal, and said, "I will tell Mister Tar that you do not require his assistance." I shoved the papers into my coat, and headed for the gang plank.

The man she call Africa, gave me a stern look. His words had better be idle chatter, or I'd drop him where he stood.

As I walked down the gang plank, I thought, 'Generosity is always met with suspicion, by this lot.' My blood was boiling, and I didn't look back. The Rakehell was trouble, Spoons was right, we must watch Mister Tar's back where she was concerned.

I walked briskly in the direction of the jolly boat.

Red Cat having done wit Roberts heads inta th pub an retrieves her Haversack an extra belongins from Ray. He hands her a large sack o pastries left o'er from th morn t' take on th trip. Throwin her haversack about her shoulder, she stuffs one pastry in her mouth an heads from the pub. Ray bids her fair weather. As she waves t' him she says "MMf fee yerrf imma pupple fewwkshh" He figures she said "see ye in a couple weeks" she looks cute headin out wi a happy step, a large bag an a pastry in her teeth adujstin her tricorn on th way .

She hums as she walks a little lopsided from th heavy sack and in no time heads up th gangplank t' the Rakehell. A large dark face in color n expression peeks over th rail "Africa luv!" she shouts "I've missed ye!" The big surly man she loves t tease rolls his eyes an dissapears behind th rail. Cat just giggles an calls out f' Ransom

As Mister Dillard approached, I noticed he were scowlin', an he appeared eager t' leave.

"Mister Dillard, did ye leave any o' the letters wit' the captain o' the Rakehell?" He pulled the bundle from his coat, an replied, "No, sir. The captain declined to accept the letters, Mister Tar." I took the letters from his out stretched hand, an said, "Thank ye, fer yer efforts." I knew there was more to it, but decide t' discuss it later.

Dillard an the two sailors, pulled the boat closer t' the incomin' tide.

"Mister Dillard, a few more minutes t' wait fer Roberts." I thought Silkie would be here by now, too. Perhaps she had decided not t' join us.

Roberts had slung his coat over his shoulder as he trudged through the sand back towards th Relentless' Jolly watt. He was singin loudly and wore a grin. Feelin an accord with things once again he was ready for wot adventure lay ahead. He looked forward to a brandy wi th Captain later. Transferring the sack he carried to his right hand, Roberts smiled as he felt the heft of the goode bottle he planed to christen their trip with. He liked Tar, n hoped on a goode conversation over smooth brandy without all the wimmin throwin the order of things inta chaos.

"Sábháil, I didn tell'em when I'd meet dem, could bae some toym." Silkie raised her voie that she would be heard in the other room.

Sábháil came through the doorway and smiled at the lass. "Yer a lucky lass, too often ya make rash decision afor tinkin. Tis well det ya ave d'luck o'yer Irish motter on yer side." She too brought a haver sack.

"I'm just goin t'see wot tings are like dear b'for d'otters get dear. Should be able t'duck frum sight easy nuff."

"Very well."

The two left the cottage and headed to the dock. Sábháil said little, Silkie chatted lightly about those in the party she was hoping to join. Roberts name kept coming up.

"Silkie lass," Sábháil stopped her, "Does he know your nature?"

"Nay, I shall tell him before I make the swim."

"Ya know how men react. Dey nil like t'tnk det their bein effected by sometin unnatural when it comes t'women."

"Yes Sábháil, I know. I know, each time I starts to up wit a man. Once they know my nature they begin to doubt my intentions. Since I have nutin t'gain by beguiling Roberts I'm hopin det he understands, is nil any spell I cast t'gain his interest save det uv any lass. Ifin I were trying t'sway a man right now would b'Captain Tar! Den I wouldn't ave t'make dis swim!"

"Would be better den changin in broad daylight."

"Not ifin I wants his trust I won't.

They continued to walk in silence, lost in their own thoughts enjoying the silence between them and the sunshine on their skin.

As Roberts approached, I could hear the clink o' bottles from his sack, "So, Roberts ye bring enough fer the whole crew?" Under his breath he said, "Going to need a larger sack."

I smiled, an said, "Ye know we restrict when the crew can imbibe, an no smokin' below decks." I knew he liked his pipe, but rules were rules, fer crew an guests alike. He smiled, an said, "Aye, rules are rules, I shall abide by them Mister Tar." I was beginnin' t' take a likin' t' Roberts.

Mister Dillard an the lads had turned the boat, an were ready t' shove off. It was time t' return t' the Relentless.

"Capin' Tar sir, Mister Roberts!" Silkie called out.

Tar and Roberts looked her way as Roberts dropped his gear into the jolly boat. Roberts showed a wide grin at the lass and Tar seemed a bit surprised yet pleased.

"Good timin." Silkie dropped her duffel bag into the Jolly boat followed by her Murdock's, cutlass, knife, and everything that was not clothing.

Silkie then leaned against the bot and removed her shoes. Roberts expression turned from a smile to puzzled. "Wot...?"

She dropped the shoes into the haversack full of clothing that Sábháil had been holding and dropped it into the Jolly boat. She stepped aside giving Jack a look he joined her. "Leave da'haversack in d'jolly boat and d'boat tied to d'onboard ladder. I will be there after dark."

They returned to the others in the boat and she then asked Roberts, "May I ave a word lad?"

Roberts stood from depositing his bag and sundries in the boat, as he straightened, he came face to.....well he was interrupted by the form of Silkie McDonough. Right in front of him. He smiled at the lass and she returned a playful grin. Then she had removed her shoes, flipping them into the Jollyboat with other items. He noticed she was well armed for such a feminine lass. Roberts was impressed as she nonchalantly added weapons to her cache in the boat. When the shoes followed a request to speak with him in private, he was truly bewildered. But seeing she laid her weapons down he agreed. As he followed her down the beach the big pirate wondered what Tar and Dillard and the lads were thinkin and hoped they didna leave without him..Roberts ddin't like not being in control but as he followed her delightful form down the beach he seemed to mind less.