The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jollywatt had made short time and they were walkin up the damp beach towards the docks. Roberts was starting t' feel ancy. He didn't want t' face th Cat in front of the Captain n th others. He was pondering wot he'd say, when Jacky pointed out Red Cat an Silkie standin on the docks. This presented him with an opportunity.

Johnathan Roberts didn't worry too deeply about women, but he liked t' know where he stood. He had more n' enough experience in his years t' know ye just didn't go straight inta battle wi' out a plan. If.. there was even a battle t' be had..he still warn't sure. The Cat could be damnably hard t' read sometimes..

As the women approached Roberts walked towards Silkie donning his most irresistable grin an gave her a wink an a brief nod. She would be his way out of immediate confrontation wi a tired an slightly outta sorts lookin Cat..

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

I couldn't believe it, we make landfall an Roberts is already t' flirt wit' Silkie. Even Red Cat, shook her head, at the man's actions.

So I said, "Good mornin' ladies! Why Red Cat ye don't look like ye slept, luv." She stared at me, an replied, "An ye looked like ye slept too well." I smiled, "Aye, nothin' like a night out on the water, t' restore a man's spirits. Ye should try it." I did my best not t' smirk, an risk her ire.

Jacky were treadin on a patch o' ice which were wearin precariously thin ..

Luckily the wan smile he wore was just distractin enough t' defend him from retailation o some sort.

Red Cat almost laughed at his quip despite her mood. That's why she liked the man. He was somone she could match wits wi an actually have ta work at it. Even if she were tired, an her bed had gone lumpy on one side so she'd naught slept the few hours she'd planned on.

"An ye should try steppin a bit closer when ye say tha" she replied, flashing him a smile sweet as a lady on Sunday. But her eyes were narrowed an fixed on his..daring him.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Roberts flashed a smile so disarming Silkie almost forgot what was on her mind, almost. She demurely returned his smile, turned away coyly and blushed, batting her eyes all in one well practiced motion so smooth it looked natural. For now she would enjoy the lads company following Red Cat and Tar until she could speak directly to Tar.

Roberts would be would be her way out of immediate confrontation with Tar but he would face her, one on one. She was not to be brushed about like so much dust .

I stopped t' hold open the door o' the pub, seemed it were a bit loose on it's hinges. Red Cat trooped through the door, an as Silkie passed through I said, "Yer lookin' a little dusty luv."

As Roberts started t' pass I barred his way, an said, "Make sure ye know wot yer 'bout mate. The Cat is probably just as sore at ye, as ye are at her, fer leavin' wit' out a word, yesterday." I smiled, an dropped my arm.

Roberts looked in the Captain's face as he stopped him in the doorway. Were it a look of warnin or friendly advice Mr. Tar guv him? He saw seriousness in the man's eyes. Jacky Tar'd been protective o th The Cat from the start, pullin a pistol on 'im under th' table that first night. He'd wondered on that.

Johnathan gave Mr. Tar an odd smile an said nuthin. He walked into th pub and over to th bar. He were a man who existed in his own way. He looked across at Red Cat who was drinkin coffee, the cup tipped back, eyes closed, lookin oddly dainty in that moment. On th other side Silkie had just entered. Dressed in shade of green n rose with an ample bodice and a quick beguilin smile..in that moment she raised long eyelashes an looked back. Roberts headed in the lass direction, picking up the strong mug o coffee Ray had handed him. His thoughts his own along the way.

Deja vu, I was standing on the dock in front of the Rakehell, again.

At the rail, of the main deck was a large fierce looking black man. I hailed him, "Ahoy, crew of the Rakehell!" The man turned and looked through me, and said, "Wat you want wid dis ship!" Not wanting my voice to crack, I cleared my throat, an replied, "I have papers for Captain Ransom, is she aboard?" He paused, and said, "You stay dare!"

Cat felt better, the coffee Jacky had proffered smothin her roughed edges. She smiled quietly to herself as she mused..

Red Cat had seen some sort of exchange betwixt Jacky n Roberts on th way in. She was choosin t' just set f' the moment. She looked over at Roberts chatting away with Silkie who wore a broad smile as he spoke.

There were no sign o Jane or Ransom an Jacky was in quiet thot studyin the surface of his drink. Cat sipped her coffee slowly, both paws warming on the china cup.

I was in my cabin, sipping tea from a delicate china cup. On my desk sat a fine silver teapot, sugar bowl and cream pitcher, all gleaming in the sun slanting in through the stern window. Steam curled from the pot's gently curved spout. The set was one of the few items of plunder I'd kept for my own personal use, and had not sold or traded.

There was a knock on the door, and then Africa stuck his head in. "You got a man on da dock, wantin' ta deliver some papers."

I put the cup down. "Papers? Now, who the hell would be bringing papers to us? Does he look like any of the harbor officials?"

Africa shook his head. "Don' think so. He look like any ol' sailor."

"I better go up and see what he wants." Reluctantly, I followed Africa to the deck to see who our visitor was.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Roberts was a wonderful distraction, tall, broad shoulders, that luscious head of dark hair and blue eyes. Silkie liked the man, he was good, she could tell, she has a sixth sense about these things. ...Oh no, here she goes again. Laughing she picked up a bit of egg on her fork and offered it to Roberts.

She still needed a face to face with Tar. If he was going to make her stay behind he was at least going to tell her why.

I was pacing a bit, when I spied Captain Ransom on deck, she looked puzzled to see me.

"Mister Tar has sent me with letters of credit for provisions for the Rakehell. I believe he included a letter, with his terms. Some of the letters for supplies, are grants. One letter of credit is for gun powder, and I believe if the powder is unused... well the terms are all here." I held out the leather bound letters, and waited for her response.

"Come aboard, Mr. Dillard, and present your papers." I waited until Mr. Dillard came aboard. He handed me a leather portfolio with papers within. I read the papers with interest, then a growing anger. So, Jacky thought to indept myself to him, did he? Offering credit on his account? The nerve!

With barely held-in rage, I turned to Mr. Dillard, handing back the papers. "You may tell Commodor Tar, that I will not be indepted to him under any account. If he thinks that I would borrow monies, credit, or any such thing, he is vastly mistaken. This is his adventure, his maps, his information, but that's as far as I go."

I tossed the papers back to Dillard, sincerely hoping that my small stash, and Janes purse, would pay for whatever provisions we needed. But I'd be damned if I'd take credit from Jacky. "Go back to the Relentless, and inform your captain, that I am not in need of his charity!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I looked at Ransom, with disbelief, Mister Tar's terms were generous. "May I be so bold, Captain Ransom, to address your concerns of indeptedness?" She nodded, so I said, "Mister Tar offers all these letters of credit, free and clear, except for the gun powder. He had to pay hard currency for that note, and he just asks that you return the unused gun powder, at the end of the voyage."

I thought about this retort. I needed to speak with Jane before I agreed to Jacky's offer. It galled me that I would be indepted to him, no matter the terms.

"Wait, Mr. Dillard. I have to have conference with one of my passengers before I give answer to Mr. Tar. Can you do that?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Right where you are will be fine, Dillard."

I turned to Africa. "Keep an eye on him. Not that I'm worried that he'll do anything, but this whole sceme has me paranoid.

Africa nodded, then turned his eye on Dillard.

I went below, looking for Jane. But I thougt it interesting that Dillard had not acknowledged our previous aquaintance. He acted as if we'd never met before. Which was fine with me, since our aquaintance had been short, and at least a year in the past.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

What ever charms she had shown to Mister Tar, they were absent today. She was ill tempered, paranoid, and lacked good sense. She probably kept vipers in that bodice of hers.

'Good lord, Dillard!' I thought, 'A women you didn't want to take to bed! That was something to write in my journal.'

Jane laid in the borrowed hammock, swinging slightly as the Rakehell rocked at anchor. She lay with her eyes closed & appeared to be sleeping. In reality she lay there thinking, trying to come up with every possible outcome for their coming adventure. It was a terrible habit, constantly trying to think of the worst case scenario but it had served her well. When a set of steady footsteps paused at her side a green eye opened. Jane was a little surprised to see the familiar silhouette of Ransom hovering next to her but not entirely. Jane figured Mr. Tar's wasn't finished testing them yet and judging by the captains frown, she was right. With a sigh Jane sat up, throwing her legs over the edge of the hammock and landing softly on the deck below. Thin fingers rubbed in the tangle of blond hair at the back of her neck.

"Ye need somethin Captain Ransom?"

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Red Cat seemed less ruffled, as she sipped her coffee. I glanced over at Silkie an Roberts, whom both were tryin' t' out charm the other.

"Red Cat, did you speak wit' Silkie yet?" She started t' tense, an shook her head, no. "I suppose ye were waitin' fer the right moment. Mayhaps when we had sailed wit' out her?" She pouted, an I thought, never send the Cat t' deliver bad news.

I walked over t' Silkie an Roberts, an said, "Pardon me, Roberts will ye excuse Silkie an me fer a moment?" Roberts grudgingly left us.

Silkie smiled one o' her charmin' smiles, an I said, "We're 'bout t' sail into a rough venture. I know ye thought ye'd be part o' it. Havin' had time t' reflect, I'm goin' t' request ye sit this one out." I waited fer her response.

Called on her lack of action, Red cat stuck her bottom lip out a bit.. Jacky let her off the hook..good man 'e wos.

She stared after him as he approached Silkie n Roberts, went to take another sip.. but her cup be empty. The Cat stared at the few grounds at the bottom o the china an sighed.

He was enjoyin the company an attentions o this soft n flirtatious lass..just wot was it with Jacky Tar n the ladies herebouts? Considerin his berth f' the trip, he relinquished her t' th Captain.

Roberts walked towards the pub door t' go smoke his pipe. Along the way, he passed Red Cat an her cup. Without a word or even lookin down, gently but firmly grabbed her arm and pulled her along wit im.

"Ye need somethin Captain Ransom?"

"Yes. Commodore Tar has sent letters of credit for us to draw on. I'd prefer to provender the ship without being indebted to him. I've got a bit of shiny stowed away, and you offered that purse of yours. Between the two of us, is there enough to buy supplies without having to be beholden to Jacky? Before you answer, know that, if this little treasure hunt gets us nothing but lagarto skins and bug bites, I won't be able to repay what you give. We'll both be walking around with nothing but air and lint in our pockets."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Silkie smiled one o' her charmin' smiles, an I said, "We're 'bout t' sail into a rough venture. I know ye thought ye'd be part o' it. Havin' had time t' reflect, I'm goin' t' request ye sit this one out." I waited fer her response.

Silkie stood, her smile now erased, defiance in her eyes she stated: "So Captain Ransom has informed me. Tis an interestn way ya ave, lettin yer "crew" pass on unpleasant news."

She paused, but not long enough for Tar to speak

"You were just as eager to have me on as I was t'join ya. It wasn't until Ransom and Jane voiced their dissent about the expedition in general det ya changed yer mind. Capn' Ransom has said that it matters not to her and Jane's objection was to my reputation fer bein a bit rash at times. A reputation det, I assure ya, is created, not earned."

Her posture was tall and straight she appeared to have grown a few inches just by her display of strength and resolve. Her fists planted firmly on her hips and her jaw set. How is it that he thought she would so easily bow out? Not that she would force her presence upon them if she were unwanted but she had strengths and skills that would be useful on such an adventure.

Crossing her arms in front of her her eyes smoldering with controlled anger. "Wot's yer objection Capin' Tar?"