The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

I was listening to Red Cat as I marched toward the docks, but I wasn't deciding anything until I saw just where the Relentless was or wasn't.

A big gap at the docks indicated where she had been, so I looked out toward the bay. There she sat, snug and tight. So, not sailed without us after all.

I turned to Silkie, then pointed to the ship out in the bay. "She's anchored out there. So, you can hire a bum boat to take you to her."

Then I spoke to Cat and Jane,"Cat, if you need to speak to Roberts, then go with Silkie in the bum-boat. I'm not taking the Rakehell anywhere until the supplies are loaded. So, that means we probably won't leave until tomorrow. Jane, you're welcome to sleep on board if you like, and Cat, when you come back in the bum boat, you can come on board the Rakehell as well. Soon as she's provendered, then we leave on the first good tide. Just pray the wind doesn't die on us."

I headed down the docks to where the Rakehell was moored. The fact the Relentless was still in the bay didn't calm my anger. It just proved to me again that Jacky didn't trust someone. Who or what had him so worried?

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane took three steps to follow before pausing. She turned to the other women with a confused shrug. Blond head swiveled to follow the departing Ransom, then to look out at the distant Relentless, bobbing on the dull waves. For once Jane was completely baffled. She couldn't make heads or tales out of Mr. Tar's recent behavior, a fact that unsettled her more than the behavior itself. Sure the pending treasure hunt was risky, but he seemed to be paranoid beyond reason and so suddenly. The thin pink lip was tugged nervously, the disappearing shadow of the other captain followed with a frown. While Jane was in no hurry to sleep aboard the Rakehell, she also knew that Ransom's offer was as close to an acceptance of the sailing arrangements as she would hear. If she didn't take it, there was no telling whether the space would be waiting come morning. With another shrug to Silkie & Red Cat, Jane gathered her heavy skirts in one hand, worn shoes pounding on the dock as she raced to catch up with Ransom.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

The crew had performed well, an our anchorage was in site o' land; so, another captain wit' a little schooner, an a large temper, won't think we left wit' out her.

I had Spoons double the ration o' ale wit' dinner. Good lads, an a surprisingly good first effort by Dillard. I smiled at Dillard, "Well done today, Mister Dillard." He smiled an replied, "Good crew, sir." We were a bit light on experienced seamen, but they had heart, an followed orders well.

"Mister Dillard, I need ye t' take the jollyboat in t' port in the mornin', an deliver a letter o' credit t' Captain Ransom. She'll need provisions an water, the letter will give her a good start on procuring wot she needs." The young man nodded, an requested permission t' turn in. I nodded, "Take a well deserved rest Mister Dillard."

Red Cat put a hand to Silkies arm. "Oi Gerl, go n get yerself some rest. Tempers'll cool on the morrow an we'll go see Captain Tar on the Relentless. It's late t' find a bum boat now anyways. N' the dock kin get rough at night fer a lass such as yerself" Silkie looked like she could use some sleep an headed back up towards town. "Meet me here as the sun comes up." she called after the green eyed lass, who waved acknowledgement as she turned to go.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

On his way about the ship, Johnathan Roberts stopped to speak to a few of the crew. He found them mostly to his likin and saw that the Relentless was a well run vessel. They'd invited him to have a meal with em, so he left his question for Captain Tar til later in the eve. Now full and havin met th crew, he spied the Captain speakin t' Mr. Dillard who then went below. Roberts stood waitin t' be acknowledged..

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Roberts lifted a knuckle t' his stitched brow . Acknowledgin Captain Tar as they were now on the ship proper. "Aye Sah," he said "Thank ye, but yer crew has already seen t' me well bein. Ye've goode men an a fyne ship. My compliments if I may Cap'n." Mr. Tar seemed t swell with a bit o pride at the mans words. Roberts knew respect an a well placed compliment always bode well and he genuinely meant wot he said. He was already feelin at home. They spoke of navigation, supplies, weather and such for a time.. tradin stories of journeys past. It was a pleasant exchange between two men with a combined experience of many years on the open sea. Roberts decided not t' bring up Red Cat fer he were unsure of her standin among the group, nor why Captain Tar wouln'dt want er sailin with em.

Pleasant exchange, wit' Roberts, yet he hadn't asked 'bout Red Cat. So I looked him square in the eyes, an said, "Roberts the crew addresses me as, Mister Tar. Please, do the same. Ye hav no official duties, while aboard, but ye may be asked t' lend a hand."

I paused an looked toward the docks, "Mister Dillard will be takin' a trip t' deliver some papers t' Captain Ransom, in the mornin'. Yer welcome t' accompany him, but see yer ready t' leave when he does." He smiled a broad grin, saluted, an left me wit' my thoughts.

She spied the Rakehell close in the docks. Preparations were underway an she heard distant commands and heavy thumps echo over now n then.

The evenin had brought a warmer breeze an Red Cat watched it fill out the sails o the Relentless out in the bay. The aft lanterns were bein lit an cast a warm glow about the ship which reflected in the ripples of the water below. The deck had quieted and the ship swayed slowly in the currents. She sat on a low stone wall turning her face to the breeze which played with a few loose strands, an closed her eyes thinking of the warm galley and the grand view from the crows nest. Red Cat sat there for a time thinkin of things ....an of nothin at all.

Silkie rolled her eyes at Red Cat and turned towards town. Could use some sleep? Could use a good stiff drink is more like it! What demon had possessed her to attempt to consort with this group? If tempers were always flaring and heads butting she would be better off waiting for the next opportunity. She had no designs on becoming rich from the adventure. The adventure was what she was after. Treasure, although appealing, was not her goal. Sleep, if it came at all, would be a welcome change to the madness.

Perhaps things would clear in the morning when she returned to the docks.

When I reached my ship, I called out for Africa. He came up from below, and listened while I gave him a rundown on where we'd be sailing, and with who. He merely nodded, but I could tell he had something on his mind. "Spit it out."

"You say we goin' wid the Relentless, and you know how you get with dat man. Crew goin' to be jumpy if you keep snappin' at everyone da whole voyage."

He had a point. "You can tell the crew that I won't be snapping any more than normal."

He grinned. "Dat not goin' to help much."

Ignoring the remark, I said. "We're going to have guests along. Two women, so be on your best behavior. I say this for your protection, not for theirs, 'cause if anyone tries anything fancy, their liable to ge their throats cut. Clear?"

"Clear. When dey come?"

At that moment, Jane called out for permission to come aboard.

"Right now. Make them comfortable below."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Morning comes early aboard ship, smells from the galley, the rustle of feet topside. Mister Tar had been tight lip about this next trip. Too many new crew members, an trials ahead, I thought.

He spoke to me about yesterdays actions, and praised me and the crew. I was glad to leave the docks, there had been whispers about a ship that had been hijacked; I told Mister Tar as much. He seemed unaffected by the news, but I believe it was part of the reason he exercised the option to leave the docks.

I had been briefed about us sailing with the Rakehell, the loan Mister Tar was about to offer, and I was to deliver. The scuttlebutt was Mister Tar fancied Captain Ransom, though I believe this arrangement had to do with her fighting skills, as we would be sailing in to Spanish waters.

Off to the galley for a bite, and then to deliver the letters.

The sky was just turnin light an Roberts stood at th rail fer a time, goin over wot he'd heard an seen o the ship. He raised his eyes an inspected the yardarms and sails, masts, braces and stays. "Aye..a fine ship she be" he said to himself as he turned to face the port. He had a little time, and his own private thoughts till the trip this morning. He'd need t' decide if he were goin t' accompany Dillard ashore.

Before retirin, Red Cat had sat for a time until the night air once agin became chilly. She were restless an knew she wouldn't sleep on th Rakehell this night. They'd be busy in th morn and little as she wanted t'insult Ransom, it woulde be too hard to light out off th ship in th early dawn.

She headed back to her modest abode by way of a smaller pub where she stopped fer a drink. Headin home, Red Cat packed what she'd need f' the trip in her sack, an cleaned her weapons.

After writin in a journal she scratched in from time t time, the Cat opened a small latticed cabinet with a key hidden in a nook in th plaster wall. She took out the dusty bottle. As always, it's contents were smooth and tasted of ages and adventure. She replaced the bottle an key, walked to th window an looked out at the bay as she sipped. Red Cat always had a bit o this particular bottle before a journey. It had become a tradition and set things right f' whatever lay ahead.

Once my orderes were delivered, I went below. Not to sleep, I was too fired up for that. I was also keeping an ear out for Red Cat, but so far, she'd not come aboard. I made notes in a log, sipped some port, and waited until dawn. Red Cat never showed, but I wasn't worried too much. She'd be on board when it counted, knowing she'd be left behind if she wasn't.

An hour before sunrise, and still wide awake, I left my cabin and went up on deck.

Standing watch, Jimmy Cox knuckled his forehead as I approached, then said, "Pretty quiet night."

"Good, I've had enough excitement for one day."

"I hear we're to take on more supplies and headin' for the Dry Tortugas."

"Yes, that's true."

"Ifn it's not too bold to ask, what are we to do there?"

I didn't usually keep secrets from my crew, but in this case, I didn't really know what we'd find. "Don't know, Jimmy. I guess we'll find out when we get there."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The watch began to change on the Relentless. Weary sailors passing by fresh ones silently, save for a whispered passing of information between those who felt it necessary. Revealing the happenings of the night as they headed to their bunks from duty.

Roberts went in search of Dillard.....

"Mornin' already?" I leisurely stretched an wondered wot the new day would bring. The jolly boat was no longer ridin' the stern, Dillard must be readyin' her t' leave.

I wondered if I should sail in wit' Dillard, an see wot transpired the night before?

I decided t' walk the main deck, an check the activities o' the mornin'. Sure enough the jolly boat was tied t' the port side o' the ship, Dillard was preparin' t' sail her in t' port.

Sleep came quickly ...after a few tankards of rum. Sunrise came even quicker.

Silkie rose with the sun, her eyes dry, her mouth tasting like something had crawled in there and died. Starring at her reflection in the mirror she wondered again what she was getting herself into. She poured some fresh water into the wash basin, washed, pinned her hair up, dressed in her roguish best and headed back to the docks hoping to find Red Cat.

Mister Tar hailed me, an I said, "Permission to disembark, sir." He replied, "Permission t' come aboard, an permission granted t' disembark." He hadn't mentioned he was going to join us, there was room, an I wasn't about to deny him passage. "Aye, lads make room for Mister Tar." He quickly boarded an sat in front of the oarsmen, an I manned the helm.

I looked up to the main deck, and shouted, "Ahoy, is Roberts on deck?"

Roberts walked up to the rail just as he heard his name called from somewhere below. "Ahoy Mr. Tar! I be commin wi ye!. Permission t' come aboard?" Permission was granted and the boat rocked one last time as Roberts climbed over the side an took a seat near Dillard..

"Roberts, if you would be so kind, move to the front of the boat." He grunted and shifted forward, and took the first available, next to Mister Tar. "Prepare to cast off!" The starboard oarsman, pushed us away from the Relentless. The oarsmen struck their oars into the water, which was smooth as glass, an we headed for the docks.

A light breeze came up, and I had the lads secure their oars. This jolly were a lugger and had one fixed mast. "Let's hoist the lugsail mates." The sail was hoisted, it quickly caught the breeze, and we schooned along towards shore.

We didn't need to dock her, and could run her right up on shore. The lads could easily pull her up on the sand. Mister Tar didn't object and that's just what I did.

Red Cat crunched along the sand leavin light footprints as she went. She met up with Silkie who was already near the docks. As they stood looking for the first bum boats to make their way in for the days business, Cat spied along the shoreline and recognized a familiar silhouette. Silkie was saying summin and Red Cat cut her off with a hand to her elbow.. her eyes still on the single masted craft easing along the shore. "That's the Jollywatt from th Relentless" They stood and watched as the small craft glided effortlessly up on the sand and several men stepped out..

I climbed out of the boat, an said, "Thank ye, lads." Roberts and I helped pull the boat up on the beach, "Dillard shall we rendezvous in 'bout two hours?" He nodded an posted one man t' stay wit' the boat. "Aye, Mister Tar," he replied. I watched him set out fer the Rakehell, an I and Roberts walked towards the pub.

Red cat rolled her eyes and sighed.."He ain't me lad!" Silkie giggled. The Cat scowled not takin her eyes off the figures stridin up the sand. "But 'es gonna be sorry" The green eyed girl turned to Cat, "Aw don't be hard on th man..he worries about ye. An..." Her eyes followed the larger pirate up the beach.."He's pleasin t' the eye.."

Red Cat laughed and shook her head. Roberts was a force t' be reckoned with when it came t' th ladies. "I'll tell ye what Miss McDonough, ye kin speak wi him first. She paused, ran a hand through her hair and replaced her hat. I am needin f' some coffee." They headed down the dock towards the small landing party.