Middlesex Trading Co doglock pistol

Yes, I own the Loyalist Arms' version, in .64 caliber. It is truly well made, and it's a bit shorter than the other pistol (mine has a 12" barrel, as opposed to the 16" barrel of the Middlesex pistol). I have had great service from the pistol, in short, it is me best friend...Also, Loyalist Arms can't be beat for their friendly service. They will communicate with you every step of the way until your pistol arrives, and they back up their stuff. They also sell spare parts for their weapons, should something happen to wear out on yours. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but in my own humble opinion, the Loyalist Arms doglock is a better one, but I base my opinion on general looks and my personal knowledge of the Loyalist Arms weapon, as I have not had the opportunity to hold the Middlesex Trading weapon. I hope this review helps you in some way. ;)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

I just got a matching pair of the doglocks from Loyalist - the 64 caliber versions, one black, one brown. They are incredible. Can't wait to shoot someone with them.

-- Sir Henry

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

they have compared two different models in the above posts as to the one you asked about loyalist calls them their english lock

i have a pair of each of them from loyalist (1615 english lock & the later doglock)....they are incredilbly light and extremely well balanced both perform admirably and they fired first time and almost everytime ...i have fired about about 40-50 loads from each one ....about 15 with patched ball with a pretty accurate result at 20 yards

i also sold a couple while in hamton in june and the fellows said they fired well

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

ps from middlesex you will save the import duty

I just got a matching pair of the doglocks from Loyalist - the 64 caliber versions, one black, one brown. They are incredible. Can't wait to shoot someone with them.

-- Sir Henry

Sir Henry,

What size ball do you use for your .64 caliber doglock, and how many grains of powder? How about for a blank load? :ph34r:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

I haven't had a chance to fire them so I haven't had the chance to get all that in order. Our weapons master Willie and I have a date to do so over at his house. Got to love the fact that they are not considered weapons - as long as no one complains about the noise, you can fire them in Florida with no problem. They only fall under the noise ordinance.

-- Sir Henry

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

I have a couple of .69 caliber pistols and I use about 30-40 grains with a roundball, and 60-80 grains for a blank shot. You'll want to use more powder for a blank because you don't have compression. With a ball you have a lot of compression, so you want to use much less powder to keep from damaging your gun or yourself. It does not take 150 grains to fire a roundball. Ask me how I know... :lol:

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

Ask me how I know...

So, how do you know, and did anyone get injured?

And I don't mean to drag out "true confessions", turn this into a "stupid black powder tricks" thread or put you on the spot, but somone out there might learn from your misadventure and not blow his own (insert expletive here) hand off. This is one of the ways I learned safe gun and BP handling, by researching the stuff others had done. There are quite a few things to be learned from police and hospital reports, as well as news stories on the web.

BTW, I use 3F, 75 grain blanks (proofed to 150 grains) and 2F, 35 grain live rounds (proofed to 75 grains) in my .69 caliber. Always remember that BP grade is crucial. 75 grains of 3F behind a lead ball might be too much for the gun to handle, as the initial pressure spike would be quite a bit higher than the 2F.

Someday I'm going to buy a barrel and about 10 pressure recorders. I'm going to tap the barrel to insert the sensors in a row down the barrel and then start loading and firing, recording the pressure spike progression down the barrel for differing loads and grades. Should be enlightening.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Aye. Between meself and me crew mates. We own every weapon offered by Middlesex Village. They have been very reliable for the most part. I had some issues with a lock on my Sea Service pistol and brought it to them. They worked on it for a while and then replaced the weapon at no charge. You should be happy with any weapon they have. Tell em Scupper sent Ya!

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Mine came with the lock disassembled, but the touch hole is drilled. All I had to do was put the lock on via two screws and it was ready to fire. :D

(1945)

Personally, I'm rather disappointed in Middlesex after a fiasco with a British Dragoon I recently purchased.

The work on the piece was poor; inletting was bad in several places, chips along the woodword where the "ears" of the buttcap come up the stock, brass work incomplete with file marks and no finishing, the trigger plate 1/4" off centerline, poor finish on the stock, etc.

After I received the pistol and snapped the lock a few times, it flew into half-cock. I e-mailed Pete Plunket about the discrepancies, and as soon as I wrote I desired to return it, the e-mail's stopped (it's been over a week).

Fed up with the BS, I disassembled the lock and filed down the protruding half cock notch to a degree (although not enough to affect safety).

I plan on refinishing the pistol in the coming months. In the future my money will be going to Loyalist.

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Well, I have ordered both pistols and will develop my own review for submittal this fall. I have talked with a gunsmithing friend who has worked on both pieces and he underlines the concept -you get what you pay for. As far as the woodwork, I will bring it to my specs and he can handle the lock work.

Lots of powder to burn. Now to defarb my hanger/cutlass by looking at other threads.

Mr Arms.

The locks on every Indian gun I've ordered (Dublin Castle Land pattern, doglock blunderbuss, dragoon, doglock musket) have been the best I've ever seen on a replica/reproduction. In this case, it's purely a matter regarding the sutler's integrity.

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.