Coinage

Anyone know of any place to find really good coinage? I'd like to find a source for French and British coins of the 18th-century period. I have found some from Jas. Townsend, but last time I checked I couldn't afford to have more than a couple in my pocket... Now I'm not looking to fill a chest or anything, but I'd like to have about 75-100 guineas for "petty cash". Anyone here know of a good source for PERIOD-CORRECT coins? (Not the cheap reales, doubloons, and POTC props!)

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

you could always go to ebay and just buy coins. last year I got a few hand fulls of british coins,. portuguese ., spanish .,and dutch coins and french coins.. It your not looking for MINT coins., authentic but worn are pretty fun to collect !! yea there not cheap.., but you can gettem.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I found a cache of original 17th and 18th century coins at a small coin shop in Oyster Bay, NY. There were British farthings and half-pennies, small Spanish silver coins, German pfennigs and some odd Swedish coins from the 1670's. There were even some coins issued by the Vatican in the early 18th century. Condition ranged from barely legible to quite good. Average price: $1.50 per coin. Cheaper than replicas, and a whole lot more interesting!

I now search through every tray of stray coins I come across.

Hey, it doesn't hurt to try!

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

I have some coins a friend bought from these guys. I'm not a numismatist, but they look good to me.

Dead Men Tell No Tales

Also, this eBay seller intrigues meeBay seller.

I wish Steve Millingham did this period. I offered to send him period originals to copy, but he wasn't interested in going later than ECW. :ph34r:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!