Question about clothing and time periods

Silent

Im hoping to start reenacting soon and I need to get my garb.

I've been told by some people that certain clothes can't be worn. This confused me. I was told not to wear a frock coat to a 1600's reenactment because they didn't come out till 1700's. Also sashes went out of style in the 1700's. I was also told there is a big thing about boots, shoes with buckles and bear feet with time periods. I don't want to get my garb and have it all from different time's I'm confused could you help me with this.

Well, yes, Silent. Frock Coats didn't come around until about the 1680s. Before then, men wore doublets.

When you say "1600s reenactment", what exactly do you mean? What is the group reenacting? Can't be the whole of the 17th century... That's very important question to answer before you start building your kit.

Boots seem to have gone in and out of fashion. Boots were original worn only by men on horseback and were removed as soon as the wearer dismounted -- they simply weren't made to be walked around in. Later (in the early 1600s), it became fashionable to swagger about in your boots and this is when the so-called "bucket boots" became popular. But by the 1680s, boots became a "horseback only" thing again. And we certainly don't see them on sailors. The idea of pirates running around in frock coats and bucket-topped boots is a Hollywood invention.

There's a thread here somewhere called "BOOTS" that talks about all the myths and the pictorial evidence and all that if you care to search for it.

Go look at Foxe's site on pirate myths. It's a great resourse. So is Greg (Gentleman of Fortune)'s site on Pirate Living History

Shoes with buckles were worn contemporaneously with frock coats. Take a look at the info on Greg's site for details.

Bare feet, I don't know about that. And there was a discussion of sashes here a while ago, but I don't know about that either. I just know that in the pictorial record, I don't see them.

Foxe also has a wonderful site of pictures of period seamen. You should look at that and base your outfits on what you see.

Two warnings: if you want to reenact the GAoP, don't look at any movies for clothing ideas -- not even those on the history channel. And never look at what your friends are wearing. Only look at pictures and extant pieces from the period. They won't steer you wrong.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Silent....

Is it safe to assume that you want to portray a GAoP pirate?

If so, a "Captain" or "regular" sailor?

Keep asking questions... we'll get there together.

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!