POTC2 setting new records...

Iron Bess

Looks like Disney will be able to keep folks employeed for awhile longer.

POTC2 has broken all records with it's three day take.

$55.9 million for Friday

Over $100 million for Friday AND Saturday

And they expect it to be over $132 million by tomorrow.

Yo Ho is right. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I'll toast to that, Pearl! :D

Loved the film... eager to see it again. I've seen it 4 times since it came out. And can't get enough of it!

And just as I thought... Davy Jones has become a fav of mine. All the characters were fantastic!

Bess... do give my compliments to them all.

~Lady B

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Now if it can just break the 8 day record by Spiderman for 2 million, that would be wonderful!! :)

:ph34r:

Beg pardon, Grace? 2 million? Explain.. please? People or profits?

::Points to the above posts::: Is not $132 million in 3 days well over that?

The theater again today was packed for the showings. And they all love it. Some haven't seen it yet since shows still sell out I believe... some are returning to watching the 2nd or more time.

From what I was told by the local theater here... the numbers are still strong. :)

Huzzah!

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Those movie advertisements, "If you only see ONE movie this year, see (insert movie title)!" applies to me. I almost never spend money at the theater...I prefer to get the DVD from the library...I just don't like to support the MPAA. However, my ONE movie this year was PotC2! So ye got me $6.00! Congratulations on a job well done!

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

Well movies that are heavily hyped up will always be big at the box office. I'm realizing tho that only the die hard fans are really enjoying this movie. My aunt and uncle saw it yesterday and really did not like it. I was surprised, I asked why since they liked the first one. They said the supernatural aspect has gone way over-board since the 1st one to the point that it's just ridiculous! The slapstick comedy is not their thing as well and they didn't like how Jack is more goofballish now. It's like how the Austin Powers movies are: The first one being a little more serious with some funny stuff, but then the sequels going all out. The 1st one just laid out the ground work and then the sequels will be a free for all, anything goes, I guess that's why they didn't like it. Well, I know I will, but then again I'm more a die-hard fan then they are. Oh, well.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

It strikes me as odd how people are forgetting that the PotC movies are, at their heart, monster movies in a pirate setting. Curses, undead pirates, etc... So why wouldn't we see that supernatural aspect amped up in subsequent movies? :lol:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

You're right Mad Jack, and we have to look at the franchise that way. I mean c'mon..they sure ain't "pirate" movies. So far we have about 5+ hours of movie time between part 1 & 2 with not a single act of traditional piracy. (By which I mean the robbing of a merchant ship)

And did anyone notice that in DMC there was not even a single shot of a black flag? (unless I'm mistaken)

newbannersigtar0db.gif

...with not a single act of traditional piracy. (By which I mean the robbing of a merchant ship)

And did anyone notice that in DMC there was not even a single shot of a black flag? (unless I'm mistaken)

That movie kicked ass. I've seen it only once (all dressed up, arr!) and it was so awesome. But yeah, that's the one thing I have against the series. Where's the Piracy? Besides all the riff-raff, it's just a quick swordfight and its into the Kraken for Jack. ? And, the movies are historically innacurate. I need not point out every detail, but other than that, the movies are great. And no, there was no black flag.

But we have had the commandeering of two ships, kidnapping, the sacking of a town, a jailbreak, the rescue of a convicted pirate from execution, and the hostile boarding of an English man o' war. Granted, that was all in the first movie, but those seem more than a bit piratical to me. :)

Right, but that was in the first one, like you said. With sequels, anything goes, they can get away with a lot more and go over-board! And it's the real fans that will enjoy it regardless of how nutty it gets. I know I'll like it, just from everything I've heard and read.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

One thing I dearly love are the "in" jokes. The undead monkey bit, the "hide the rum!" gag, the "sea turtles" reference! Classic, and perfect! Thank God somebody in Hollywood decided to make a movie for the fans! :lol::lol:

Amen to that! My wife and I are watching it again this weekend, and she's hell-bent on taking notes this time around! :lol:

We're taking some friends to see it with us. They've watched the first movie about 15 times, and are wetting themselves to see the new one! :lol:

From "Box Office Mojo" -

With a second weekend most would covet for an opening, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" continued its record-raiding ways, while two comedies about oddball houseguests vied for second and third place, neither a threat to "Pirates'" booty.

"Pirates" pillaged an estimated $62.2 million, the third highest-grossing second weekend ever behind "Shrek 2" and "Spider-Man". Attendance was down 54 percent from its all-time $135.6 million opening—last weekend's gust of demand ensured a sizable drop, yet "Dead Man's Chest" fared within blockbuster norms.

With $258.2 million in the till, "Pirates" hijacked the ten-day opening record previously held by "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith's" $236.9 million. It also claimed fastest to $200 million, eight-day and nine-day milestones and doubled what predecessor "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" reaped through the same point.

The rest of the article can be found here.