Wizkids Pirate Games

Captain Bob

I currently have 3 packs. Two of Pirates of the Spanish Main and one of Pirates of the Barbary Coast. At first, I thought it was just a card game like "Magic, the Gathering" and wasn't interested in playing. I just wanted the cool little ships that came with the game.

Now that I've glanced over the rules, I see that it's really a sort of a miniatures combat & strategy game. So tell me...

How many variants are there to this game?

Apart from different ships in each variant, what's the difference? Do I need all the differet "flavors"?

I notice the rules say to use 5-6 islands. Does that mean Ineed to buy more? Just how many do I need, anyway?

What do you like about these games?

One thing I'd like to do is use these miniatures in combination with a piratey, swashbuckling role-playng game (such as GURPS or Hero System). Over 16 years ago I cannibalized counters from my copy of Wooden Ships and Iron Men so we could continue the action at sea in a role-playing campaign inspired by Yellowbeard and Pirates. Is anyone working on an RPG based on this game? If so, where can I find (18th centry) pirate miniatures?

~~Cap'n Bob

Total variants so far: Pirates of the [spanish Main / Crimson Coast / Revolution / Barbary Coast / South China Seas / Davy Jones Curse ]

If you get the latest variant, it incorporates the rules from the previous ones. On the other hand, specific items (a particular ship, crew member, treasure, etc.) only come in a particular set.

If you don't like collecting them all, you can just assign the attributes from one ship to another of the same form factor in order to play it like that. (Not an official rule, but that's what I do, since I only play at home.) You probably will want to collect enough packs to have at least one of each form factor of ship (1-mast, 2-mast, etc.), for accuracy in measuring and other physical factors when playing the game. But in my opinion, having the wrong paint job on the playing piece shouldn't stop you from playing a particular scenario.

You can use items of approximately the same size for islands. That's even an official rule. Of course, by the time you've collected a few more sizes of ship, you will end up with plenty of islands.

Personally, I like the sailing rules. For me, they are a nice balance between the rigidness of hex-based or square-based movement systems, and the extreme movement modeling of hardcore sailing wargames.

There are a few things I don't care for in the rules. But that's okay, because you can always make up your own rules system.

Just as Long Tom said, the Wizkids Pirates game is as involved as you want it to be. There are a lot of sets, but they repeat things rather often.

As to an RPG, I would point you to Skull & Bones by Green Ronin, it's an excellent d20 based Pirates RPG.

Although, supposedly, Great White Games is releasing a licensed Pirates RPG based on the Wizkids Pirates game. It's not d20 but it looks interesting. It's not out yet, but you can preorder it.

I encourage you to contact your local game/comic store to see if there are any Wizkids sanctioned events. I'm an "envoy" for Wizkids...basically just means I can run "official" sanctioned events at my local venue (a comic store). They have tournaments and scenario games, and can be a lot of fun.

Oh, and I find the Wizkids pirates sets to make excellent miniatures for Pirate RPG's...you can find interesting ship-to-ship combat rules here: http://www.wtj.com/games/beta/admiralty/

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

Ah, Winston, but p'raps Bob isn't looking for something on the computer, but rather for something a wee bit more .. tangible. Or perhaps something involving sociability -- and thus miniatures gaming [toy soldiers] and roleplaying gaming [uh .. roleplaying] can be an excellent pass-time.

The rules for Wizkids' Pirates series are fast and loose. Whilst there are a few internet communities who discuss said rules, it seems that just about everyone changes 'em. Which is fine. Take 'em where you will.

I also concur that _if_ you are looking for a "d20" based Pirate Role Playing Game, _Skull & Bones_ by Green Ronin is your best. For a non-d20 system, the old 7th Sea system by Alderac captures a very cinematic and swashbucking experience. Or of course, just _adapt_ whatever role playing rules you already know [Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu rules could work well, Risus is a free and very flexible rule set available on-line...].

Like any Board Game, these games are about sociability. Individual Pirate scale miniatures [15mm to 28mm] are enjoying a resurgence. Reaper makes a bunch, Wargames Foundry in the UK makes loads, even Privateer games makes a few undead pirates. They're cropping up all over.

For a combination of geekery and piracy, the current Disney movies have created a renaissance.

Cap'n Bob:

About the WizKids game...

The packages are designed to provide a player, with ONE pack in hand, with enough stuff to play another player who is also equipped with one pack. That means per person: two ships, an island in addition to your home island (at minimum, the punched-out card from your ship is designed to serve as your home base island), and some extra fiddly bits... along with an inhalation-hazard-sized die.

The Creative Team designed the game to be playable out of the package on your first try -- and the game is ingenious in this aspect.

Personally, I like the varety of ships offered.

But, perhaps the greatest thing about the game is the expandability of the rules. After playing a couple of games, you immediately start thinking of house-rule variations. As mentioned in another thread on this game, I have made little model sea monsters with their own movement and attack rules. I have grabbed a few of the small "hill" terrain pieces from my Warhammer board and now use them almost exclusively as elaborate islands for the game.

The rules allow you to mix-and-match different allegiance ships for your personal fleet, but having an all-British fleet against an all-French fleet against an all-Pirate fleet (etc.) looks absolutely great on the table. And this makes it clear who you are fighting against.

The frustration comes when you really start collecting the game and try to tailor-pick your ships and specialized crew... you can never seem to get that S+S+S ship you want, or the (no-cost) linked crew members you need. That brings you back to the Pub, where you can trade with other collectors...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg