How would I go about building a Pirate Ship

Easy as anything can be!!

Step One: Win the Lottery.

This shouldn't be to hard I mean what are the odds anyway?

Step Two: Take your millions and find a ship building company.

This you might have to google.

Step Three: Hire them to make the ship.

Or why did you google it?

Step Four: Pay them.

They can get mean.

Step Five: Learn How to sail it and go have yourself a pirates life!!

Easy as anything can be!!

Step One:  Win the Lottery.

This shouldn't be to hard I mean what are the odds anyway?

Step Two:  Take your millions and find a ship building company.

This you might have to google.

Step Three:  Hire them to make the ship.

Or why did you google it?

Step Four:    Pay them.

They can get mean.

Step Five: Learn How to sail it and go have yourself a pirates life!!

Okay, some one take Winston out and box his ears! B)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I wish Zorg was still online. He's building a 40 something foot sloop in his backyard. It can be done on your own it takes time though.

I am going with Red Maria on this one., when I want something., I "Make it happen" or it doesnt get done. " Do it......, now" :)

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I am going with Red Maria on this one., when I want something., I "Make it happen" or it doesnt get done. " Do it......, now" :)
That's the kinda attitude I have, matey. I'm willing to go ter the hardware store, buy me some planks, and build her from the ground up. I've got the space, but I don't know how it's done. I googled it but all I get is ship models. :ph34r:

Ah yes the old sea stories-the man who builds a ship so big in his yard, he can't get it out without a crane and very large truck and hope there is water nearby, short of waiting for a really big flood. Oh and make sure it's the size of Noah's Ark. pirateme-vi.gif

Expect to pay in the tens of thousands but building a pinnace or even the lowly longboat is doable. Plans are available, just start digging. However, a more reasonable goal is something along the lines of a jollyboat. Caravel planked most likely though perhaps clinker built this can be rewarding though difficult project. We're on the very edge of what's practical for the amateur builder though it is possible. I reccomend a full lugger rig (ie, dipping lug) for it's historical accuracy and genuine salty appearance though a leg-o-mutton would also do and is much more handy under sail. Watch your scantlings and build up the bulwarks such and it can carry a swivel gun without issue. Good luck to ya.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Captain Jim: That is a badass swivel gun, matey. Ye gotter tell me where ye laid hands on one

Wild Imports

I Don't own that one (yet), but at under $1000, it's the one of the more accurate full-size cannon around. Sure, it's not a full-size six-pounder, but it's a step up from my 75 caliber field piece. One step at a time and eventually I'll end up with a pyrate ship...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Particularly a Hulk

Well to build a Hulk you need:

a: someone with a lot of pent up anger and frustration.

b: a large gamma ray source. You can either get it from a gamma bomb or lab produced. I recomend lab produced, its easier on the surrounding community.

Now expose individual from part a to gamma source from part b and poof, instant hulk.

I know I just said this on another forum, but this book is PRICELESS!!! I love it and it will tell you a lot of basic information that will probably drive you mad, much like it did me...

http://www.smoke-fire.com/researching-hist...ail-books-2.asp

bk-931.gif

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

A lot depends on what size vessel you're talkin about, and if this is going to be a real sea-worthy float or just a back yard decoration.

I too have been thinking of building a "pirate" ship for years. In my case it would probably be a working 1/4 scale version of an English or Spanish Galleon, and would hopefully be stable enough for inland and coastal waters.

For anyone wanting to build a wooden boat - the book "Wooden Boats" by Michael Ruhlman is a must read. It cronicals, amoung other projects, the building of the schooner Rebecca, the last wooden ship tobe built in the 20th century.

-Cap'n Matt

No, I mean totally sea-worthy. Its just I'm lookin eveywhere (Thanks for helpin guys) But nowhere does there seem to be a documentation of something that big. It's possible, I have a couple friends who would help. Transporting it to water.. would be a challenge but I'm not thinking about that right now.

privateer.jpg

There. A sixteen foot long pyrate ship, carrying six four-ouncers. Contact the manufacturer at: Privateer Shipbuilding 17705 Crabb Ln., Huntington Beach CA 92647, (714) 841-4091

You could probably get just the hull and deck and finish it yourself.

The info above was pyrated fom the No Quarter Given web site.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Well, if totally seaworthy be your goal, that makes things a little difficult.

The problem with a "pirate" type vessel, which to me means two or three masts, complete with yardarms and top sails, etc. is that's a lot of cloth to control, and on a small scale many boats would seem to be dangerously over-powered by that amount of sail. If you're looking to build something for just some fun coastal cruising on mild sunny afternoons, that's one thing. But a safe, ocean-going vessel able to handle serious bluewater conditions is something else.

And take it from someone who's sailed for over half his life, captained boats from 12 to 51 ft in length, and lived through a capsize, the wind be a powerful force to recon with. The ocean can be a very inhospitable place at times. Certainly no place for a boat designed as a big toy.

That said, anything can be done if you want it bad enough. Just do your homework first, and do it correctly.

The first thing to do in that case would be to consult a marine architect with your ideas, or at least study the subject in-depth yourself.

The first questions to answer would be the following:

What size boat/ship are you talking about?

What kind of budget do you have in mind?

What type of vessel specifically are you looking for?

Do you plan to build it all yourself?

Also, what is your pervious sailing experience?

-Cap'n Matt