Acting, reenacting, and just dressing up

Captain Bob

I started getting into pyracy about a year ago. All I wanted at the time was a costume, but then I found the Pyracy Pub. All of a sudden I find that having a costume isn't enough. You've gotta have a pirate name, a persona and a fictional background. You've also got to be able to act (or reenact) like a pro, but I'm not a pro (I'm just barely an am).

My question is, now that I look the part (even if it looks like a part in a Gilbert & Sullivan play) how do I do all the rest? Unlike Tall Mike Bismuth van der Bulge (cool name, BTW), I picked my name almost at random. This wasn't because I didn't care, but because I wanted to start participating as soon as possible. Hopefully, someone would help the new guy to sort things out, like where I can fit comfortably within the pyrate lifestyle spectrum.

It's been nine months (or thereabouts). I figure if I don't start asking questions (many of which I didn't know needed asking when I got here) I'd be a long time figuring it all out by myself.

My questions are:

• How do you come up with a fitting pyrate name?
  • How do I go about making up a persona that I'm comfortable with?
  • How do I portray this persona without getting flustered?
  • What are the three rules of improvisational acting? (That's how many someone said there were in another thread.)
  • What other questions ought I be asking?

Awaiting your responses, I am:

Yr Obdt Svt,

Cap'n Bob

Ahoy there Capt'n Bob!

There be naught a grander feelin' than goin' on 'th' account' an' th' most merriment be in th' learnin'....discoverin'....researchin' an', playin!

Here be.....in me humble opinion......some answers t' yer questions.....

1. A fittin' pirate name should find ye! Why, th' world o' Piracy be a grand an' glorious place jus' waitin' fer ye t' grab hold o' it an' swing 'er about! Iffen ye keeps yer good eye open.......ye'll be knowin' yer pirate name when it strikes ye.....oft' times out o' the blue!

2. Aye then....how do ye go about doin' ANA-THIN' yer comfortable wit'? Ye just do! The ocean's yer limit........have at it an' put all the elements what's near an' dear t' yer heart int' yer character........an', much like life......the details will unfold as ye progress. It canna be done in one sittin'.

3. Ye don't. :ph34r:

4. a. "Positive Assumption."

Meanin' ye always agrees with the situation o' the moment. Now...this don't mean ye has t' agree wit' 'personal opinions'...liken unto..."Who should be president?" an' "Do these jeans make my butt look fat?" but....generally an', fer the most part if ye agrees wit' the situation at hand ye'll do a lot less arguin' an', a whole lot more playin'.

Example: I hit's ye wit' a rotten lime.

Then it be done.

There's no takin' it back. Sort o' like when ye played Cowboy's & Indians as a kid. Bang-bang yer dead! An', there were ALWAYS that one kid who would say......."No I'm not!"

Frustratin'.....weren't it?

It be yer job t' deal wit' the situation at hand in th' manner ye believes yer pirate would deal wit' it.

b. "Yes...and."

Meanin'.........agreein' wit' th' play at hand be all well an', good.....but, iffen ye makes no attempt t' add th'......AND.......then we be stuck at an impasse an', can ne'er move forward.

Aye...I DID hit ye wit' the rotten lime.....now what be your NEXT step....?

c. "Improbable Situation" (used for comedic purposes)

Agreein'. Addin'. Then.........creating an 'improbable situation'

Now....an improbable situation be not about stuff that is far removed from the situation......(like...oh no...space aliens in the pub!) but, liken unto somethin' that would be silly to happen in a given situation....say tossin' raw clams under a peg leg on a tiltin' poop deck.......somethin' o' that nature.........

5. Any what comes t' mind. An'...read! read! read! There be a WORLD o' information out there.......an', o'er time....ye'll make yerself int' the grandest pirate what e'er sailed....iffen that's what ye likes!

The good thing about all this is ye can ne'er be wrong! What ye says......by rules o' improv......haf t' be true! (again..... I do na mean real life personal opinions.......)

As fer Historical Reenacting. There I canna help ye.

But, there be those about who can.

Many fine an', honorable men who's knowledge o' history an', use o' wordsmithing leave me in awe.

Their craft is finely honed an', I admire them greatly.........an', read all they post........but, I canna play in that world as I be a Street Theatre Pirate an', though I teach a curriculum based theatre program based on a great deal o' history..... I canna go that long without makin' a jest! :ph34r:

In my world.......I have t' SELL me craft....an' the General Public willna hold still fer too much teachin'........they be buyin' entertainment fer the most part.....so that's what I be sellin' t' pay the rent.

I jus' sort o' sneaks the facts int' me programs an' they are no th' wiser.

"Accidental Learnin'' we call it! :lol:

So....have at it! An', watch yer new an', excitin' world grow!

Tis a wondrous feeling! An', welcome!

Fair Winds to ye this day......

~Foxmorton

Oh...an' regardin' Cap'n Van Der Bulge.......he be a right silly ol' pirate who be fun t' play wit'. He's a unique storyteller who uses Rule # 3 to it's GRANDEST advantage! I don't get to play wit' him nearly enough!

An', byt the way there Capt'n Vander Bulge.........yer cutlass be pointin' in the WRONG direction............

~F.

OCC - Ok for me I answered this way...WHO, WHAT, HOW, WHERE, AND WHY???

* How do you come up with a fitting pyrate name

You can do this two different ways - one it will sort of find you, as stated above. Or you can take an active role in first you figure out from where you hailed from. Are you English, Scottish, Irish, Spanish, French, Moorish, and number of places in the world. Then can think of why you went onto account, and so will you be using your character's "Christian" name or a pyrate nickname. If it is your character's Christian name then check into that with want you want your name to mean. If on the other hand you will be taking a pyrate nickname then what did you do that caused the nickname to stick. Go from that part of it.

* How do I go about making up a persona that I'm comfortable with?

Again, part of being comfortable is thinking of your character's history, personal and family. Building a persona with elements of your own philosophy and mindset. It, IMHO, might thought of as a second skin sort of thing with the "What if?" What if I was there? How would I act? What would I do? Where would I be? How would I get there? (not just physically but who am I mentally and spiritually) and Why would I do anything?

When you can answer the "WHO, WHAT, WHERE, HOW AND WHY" of your character then you will be comfortable with that persona.

Also, decide whether you are going for pure historical in the traditional sense or you want more fantasy...or even a mixture of the two. (for my character, contrary to what some believe I have a historical basis for nearly everything I have. However, some of it be out of the mainstream way of thinking...so if someone says I am not "proper historical" I don't argue anymore...I just shrug and go its me. Then again, I have been told that I am not in the line of fantasy...so I say Historical...

OK, PIRATE!!!! I do as I feel comfortable and don't let anyone sway me either way. It is my persona and I that's that... end of story. When you can say that, then you are, IMHO, wearing the skin of your character. :ph34r:

* How do I portray this persona without getting flustered?

Can you live RL without being frustrated? No, so don't expect to create a persona without it either. There will always be those that will say you're not historical enough, and others that will say you're so historical you're boring. So there will always be flustered or frustrated. (SHRUG) A pirate did what he or she felt right with... so be and do a pirate persona do that are comfortable with. Look at it as a challenge and an adventure to be conquered.

* What are the three rules of improvisational acting? (That's how many someone said there were in another thread.)

This one I can't really answer as I am not an actor, I just wear my persona when I want to. Me, I think of these items. The one thing is think of the way your character would talk. What dialect would he/she use? (The moment I use the accent, my mannerisms change) What type of mannerisms would my character use...How would your character react to a certain situation? Why would your character react...(personal or business reaction)? again going back to the standard questions... "WHO, WHAT, WHERE, HOW AND WHY."

* What other questions ought I be asking?

What about your persona's family...immediate and otherwise. Where did they hail from? What caused you to go on account? What and who did you leave behind and why? What are your persona's skills? How did you lean them? What function does he or she have on the ship? What is your persona's mindset? Mannerism? Personaility? How did he or she get to where they are? Who helped them or betrayed them and why? What type of bonds do they have with the crew and why? Permanent or temporary and why? Spiritual beliefs, what if any, what type and how did you acquire them?

You got the "What" questions...now look at the "Who, How, Where and Whys" I know seems simplistic, but once you finish answering them you should have built a complete personal history for your character.

Ok, that is my take on it...Hope that helps.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

I started getting into pyracy about a year ago. All I wanted at the time was a costume, but then I found the Pyracy Pub. All of a sudden I find that having a costume isn't enough. You've gotta have a pirate name, a persona and a fictional background. You've also got to be able to act (or reenact) like a pro, but I'm not a pro (I'm just barely an am).

My question is, now that I look the part (even if it looks like a part in a Gilbert & Sullivan play) how do I do all the rest? Unlike Tall Mike Bismuth van der Bulge (cool name, BTW), I picked my name almost at random. This wasn't because I didn't care, but because I wanted to start participating as soon as possible. Hopefully, someone would help the new guy to sort things out, like where I can fit comfortably within the pyrate lifestyle spectrum.

It's been nine months (or thereabouts). I figure if I don't start asking questions (many of which I didn't know needed asking when I got here) I'd be a long time figuring it all out by myself.

My questions are:

• What are the three rules of improvisational acting? (That's how many someone said there were in another thread.)

Yr Obdt Svt,

Cap'n Bob

Well sir, the first question you really need to ask yerself, then answer, is what type of pyrate you chose to be...

on this list you will find both Ren. Faire and Living Historian type pirates... Ren Faire sort, and please Ren Faire folk, feel free to jump in and correct me as this is just my preception, but Ren Faire folk act the part of a pirate, not necessairly anything historical but just to go out and have great fun and entertain the public.

Living Historians/Reenactors go to the extreme in making sure their kit is as authentically reproduced as possible in order to educate the public... and then there are those like me... reenactors that chose to dress and act as authentically as possible and yes, educate but also entertain by trying to recreate more of the live style and not just enough to "talk" about what type of cutlass one should be carrying... and in the end just plain have fun....

answer that question first and then we all can point you in a certain direction! :)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

OOpsss let's not forget the "WHENs" of everything either.

Such as: When did the major events of your character life and how did it affect your persona?

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

OOpsss let's not forget the "WHENs" of everything either.

Such as: When did the major events of your character life and how did it affect your persona?

Excellant point Lady... yes pirates have pretty much been around since man started out on the sea and are still around today. But, in most cases, the most popularly portrayed time period is the Golden Age of Piracy ... roughly 1675 -1730...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Aye, many forget that Whens are important too.

Such as:

Does your character know when he/she was born and if so what was happening around the time? When did your persona go on the account? Year and age of character? (Sigh...I admit it....I am a REAL pain in the arse on my novel thread because I am insist on story continuity as far as the when goes.) And again, lots of ways of handling the when questions...most think it is the background of the story, but, if you don't have it answered a story can go haywire.

Each area of your character's life, IMHO, should have a complete as possible answer in the questions

"WHO, WHAT, WHERE, HOW, WHEN AND WHY?"

AND leave off a post in some manner with one of the above questions for your writing partner to answer...in his first sentence or paragraph oh his/her post. That makes, IMHO, a story written by many characters flow more easily together.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

My questions are:

Yr Obdt Svt,

Cap'n Bob

Welp, Cptn Bob... I'll PM or email ya with something a little more than what I will type here.

But you have great questions and the questions that every re-enacting rookie has.

But... before I send ya something... DO read and take into heart and mind what everyone says. Then weight your options and advice that has been given to you. You can choose from that advice as to what suits you best.

Also... time and patience. Those are SO key to re-enacting, acting or role playing. I've been re-enacting since 2001 (not long really) and I am STILL working on a persona, developing, etc. I've been role playing online for longer than that (since the late 90's) and it takes a while to develope a character. But I can send you templates to help you out in that area, too.

Feel free and don't feel bad if you have to continuously go back to reconstruct or add, change or take away from your character. A character is just like you... ever changing.

Hope this helps for the moment until I send ya something. :)

~Lady B

<_<

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Captain Bob...I see that my shipmate Mimi has done a right good job of fillin' you in...once ye start developing your character you won't forget your details...they are yours, and if they change, well it's YOUR character. For instance:

Just this weekend I spent time handing out valuable pearls that I done stole from the jewelry box o' the Queen herself, and then fearing that she or her guard were just around the corner, I quickly dispersed them amongst the smallest maidens at the street festival I could find, admonishing them to n'er admit to the Queen that the jewels be her own, and thus they could keep them for'er. Now I did keep one fine strand o' pearls, as a reminder of the deed I done and how I pulled one o'er on the Queen.

Hencefore, this will be a story in my character. Next time I don my pyrate shoes and hat, another piece 'o the story will be born...or this piece added onto....

I think what you should do is:

1. Get all dolled up in yer pyrat gear;

2. Get liquored up 'til you can't remember yer real name;

3. Set out front o' yer place drunk and stammering, yelling at all th' passersby and wave yer weapons around.

A couple things are gonna happen.

1. Yer neighbors are gonna GIVE you a pyrate name. Ye may not like it, but you'll get one, nonetheless.

2. The cops are gonna come. They will probably give you a name too. It will be "Suspect". Don't use that as yer pyrat name.

3. The liquor will make you comfortable enough. You'll be a drunken pyrat. What more persona than that could you want?

4. Get flustered? See #3 right above.

5. 3 rules of improv? You will live 'em as a drunken sailor in yer front yard.

6. What other question should you ask? Who do you know with bail money?!

:ph34r:

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

Cap'n Bob....

I regret t' inform ye that there has been a turrible error on my part..........

It really aren't ALL that complicated..........

Please refer t' Mad Matt's post.........it will be gettin' yer job done infinitely much quicker......leavin' ye more time fer piratin'.....

I regret any an' all inconveniences an' undue stress I may have caused ye.......

And....as soons I can stop squirtin' ale out me nose.... I'm headin' out t' me front lawn t' sees what new name I can come up wit'!

I'll report back.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::lol:

~Foxmorton