Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Seth looked at Sterling's offered hand as if deciphering what it was for a brief, than accepted it in his own of weathered and scared qualities. The grip was firm, a further testimony to streagnths not shown by his wraith-like frame.

"Do no' believe everythin' that ye have heard abou' the Tribes, Captain...It is the firmest advice I can give ye. They are no' deevils nor heathens...Tis what the world would wish ye to believe. Tis a blessin' that ye have gained acceptance an' guard tha' lass like a rare jewel."

He withdrew his hand, long fingers uncurling their clasp of vice nature as the pale eyes settled on the door just before the lock was turned back and the girl returned. She spoke quietly in native tongue, moving behind Childermass' frame as she eyed Sterling with curiosity.

"Word 'as been sent of our whereabou's, but I think tis time to return...Less there be somet'in else ye wish to know..."

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No, I think it best I return. We are awaiting a reply regarding a change in plans where this Captain Striker is concerned. If he truly knows anything that would be of aid, I would be foolish to postpone or, worse, miss my opportunity," Sterling said.

He bowed to the young lady. "Thank ye lass for allowing me the use of yer home." He pulled his still dripping coat tightly about him then looked once more to Childermass. "Will ye accompany me back to the book shop, or should I just rest in the knowledge that ye shall be following safely behind?" he added with a sly grin.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Seth gave sagesque nod to Sterling's comment, catching the slight rose tincture to his companion's cheeks with the action of respect. He leaned down slightly, speaking soft to the girl's hearing then righted lanky stance.

"Tis to mine thinkin', that I shall walk wit' ye. Mahaps it would cause deterant to any of the local ruffs...This area is no' as what ye have been abou' here in The Port. Most are wise to avoid it, eh?"

A few parting words were spoken to the young woman, then room was left securly behind for the damp byways, once again.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

The return walk was a quiet one, Sterling still mulling over the things Childermass had said. His words had been few and yet each was filled with key information. He resigned himself to the fact that he had much to learn and that a steady hand and much love would help bring him into the proper accord with his intended bride. He smiled to himself... the love would not be difficult to give.

As they reentered the bookseller's, Sterling gave a nod to Hazzards and March. The first lieutenant, his look of relief quickly fading to one of disapproval for the captain's earlier actions of running off, folded his arms in front of him and gave a hesitant nod in reply.

"Any word as of yet?" Sterling asked.

"No sir, not yet," Hazzards replied.

"Thank you, Mr. Hazzards. If ye wish to move about the area, do so. I cannot have ye loitering about if ye would rather not. I shall remain here..." Sterling quickly glanced at March. "Ye have my word. Return when the hour is near gentlemen."

"Thank ye sir," Hazzards said with a slight bow.

Sterling made his way to the back room.

"Chere?" he called softly. But she did not answer...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Christophe leaned on the frame of doorway that Sterling had just passed through. He watched in silent manner as the other cast look about and called for the one which was not within. As watched turned around, a hint of confusion shadowing his features, the Frenchman's presence was noticed....a shadow hanging in shadows.

They eyed each other as if in some unspoken standoff, a hint of disaproval and distrust playing the Frenchman's expression as he finally spoke.

"Mademoiselle is upstairs with Sabastian."

Seth Childermass' words suddenly took on another light as Sterling studied Lambert. He could not shake the feeling that things would never bode well between him and the Frenchman. And, although he chose not to believe that Christophe would be the man willing enough to kill to keep Aurore to himself, his feelings for Aurore would always provide a distance between them.

"Ah, I see. Thank you," Sterling replied, still eyeing the other man.

Crewe of the Archangel

Christophe stepped back two paces, allowing access past himself; though his eyes never wavered from Sterling. He raised one hand, extending a finger indicating direction up the near stairs.

"Last door...."

"Thank you...once again," Sterling said warily. The two adversaries circled each other as they exchanged places, like cautious fencers, neither willing to strike the first touch.

He made his way up the stairs, but not without one quick backwards glance to confirm that the Frenchman was still watching him. He fought down the urge to make comment, it surely would not help. Instead he thought to pity the man, he would not wish to be in his shoes where Aurore was concerned.

A light rap upon the barrier between him and his beloved was gently given and then he waited...

Crewe of the Archangel

Before returning to the Rakehall, I made a side trip to the stable to check on the cannon. On entering, I was greeted by inquisitive pricked ears and a few nickers—and the sound of thunderous snoring. Goose lay recumbant on the wagon's driver's bench, sound asleep. The stableman was nowhere to be seen. Seething with fury, I quickly scanned the dust-mot filled expanse, stode to the nearest stall, and unhooked a half-full water bucket. The bay within the stall watched me with curiosity. I lugged the bucket to the wagon, and with a heave, flung its contents at my dreaming cook.

Flopping and gasping for air like a landed fish, with a curse, Goose sat up. When he saw me, his eyes nearly rolled to the back of his head. "Sorry Captain, it were just a short kip."

"Be glad all I could find was water. I would have preferred a slop bucket. And, where the devil is the stableman?"

Goose wiped dripping water from his eyes, and shrugged. "He was here a bit ago."

"Bloody hell," I muttered. I was thoroughly sick of this cannon, and would be glad to hand it over to the first fool who'd take it. I let an icy gaze freeze Goose into silence. "If you fall asleep again, I'll have you flogged, same count as Ioan. Understand!"

Goose merely bobbed his head, to terrified to speak.

As I left the stable, I decided the only reason I kept the poor stupid fool as a crew member, was pity. And that was wearing thin. The next time he burnt my supper, I'd toss his skinny carcass overboard.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Sabastian continued to speak in soothing tone while his attention was drawn to approaching footfall. No check need be given to sibling's state, the tranquil whisper of intake and exhalation verifying slumber travels. Easing himself from sofa hold, he crossed to wooden barrier as the first rap fell to exterior surface. No consideration was given in regard to who would ask audience, none would make it this far without consent from those below.

Carfully, the door was drawn back, Sabastian's body acting as barrier to the light seeking entrance to dark shrine. His voice was kept low in greeting to Sterling's arrival, but the smile offered was one of welcome.

"Good day to ye, " Sterling said, his tone automatically following suit. "I pray ye are well. I am sorry to trouble ye but was told I might find Aurore here," he added in a whisper.

Crewe of the Archangel

Robert's thanked Striker's companion for her hospitality, offering a wink and comment in rich brogue. It took not keen observation to note that the Captain in question was in some manner of restrictive constitution. Sean gave veiled survey while sampling from proffered libation, although from a fishing village, and quite accustomed to the ways of sea vessels, he wished to lay this errand quickly to rest; not careing overmuch, for the containment now faced.

Balancing wine container on one knee with loose grip, mischievous eyes centered on Striker, "Captain, tis been me intructin' to relay the wants o' the gentleman wit' which ye have enquired to. In fairness to all involved, tis Captain Sterling's desire to meet on neutral ground...." Sean cocked a brow slightly. "In light o' current happnin's I am sure ye might be in an understandin' accord to the likes."

A sample of rouge was taken, "Tis the Captain's want to be meetin' on'na docks, then retirin' to near tavern fer privacy. He be assurin' o' no shannanies an' be apologizin' fer any inconviences to yerself an' yers."

Striker was watching Roberts' every move while listening to what was being said . After Roberts had finished talking Striker looked straight into his eyes and answered him.

"Tell Captain Sterling that we will meet at the docks in 15 minutes time. Now if you please excuse me I have to get changed for the meeting ." with his palm open pointing at the door Striker said "Thank you coming"

As soon as Roberts left Striker threw the linen to the side and tried to get out of bed.

He clinched his teeth together because of the fast move which did not agree with his fresh wound and sent pain rushing to his head.

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Sabastian eased the door back further, pointing into the darkness disrupted intermittantly by tallow's glow. Waving Sterling in, he moved to the side closing the portal once again to the aggrivations of outer light. Fully used to the chamber's nature, Sabastian navigated to the heavy table and ledger while the other hesitated to adjust to the near none existant lighting and pungent scents hanging the encompassment.

Ioan stood in deep shadow and watched the young man enter and then depart Striker's cabin. The only thing he heard through the thick oak door was an Irish accent. Silently, Ioan followed the man up on deck, then watched him leave the ship. He didn't recognise the lad, but would remember him if he saw him again.

"What a fine, cosmopolitan gent is this Striker," Ioan said in a whisper. "First it's Spaniards, now the Irish. Next thing I know, some fancy-pants Frenchy will be asking to come aboard." Ioan smiled to himself, then turned from the rail and headed back to the main cabin.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

The darkness was difficult for him to adjust to, so he fixed himself upon the shimmering glow and made his way toward it. When he arrived besides the sofa, without mishap, and saw Aurore sleeping, he felt at first a warmth spread over. He smiled down at her, so beautiful where she lay and found he did not wish to disturb her. But then, he shifted slightly to look back toward his host.

"Is she all right?" he asked, not able to mask the sudden panic in his voice.

Crewe of the Archangel

Beggar Prince eyed Sterling with amusment, half shadowed in low glow.

"Oui..just tierd." He leaned forward to steepled fingers. "That one will never allow anyone to see if she is burdened, but I can see through the facades and have always managed to do so."

Tilting his head a bit, Sabastian's attention was drawn to the faint sound of door opening below.

Striker was standing up with the help of Jane when Ioan walked into the cabin. Striker reached out after his cane which was situated against his closet.

"Sir , If you wish employment I can give you a position. If you agree we are going to the docks for a meeting. "

Striker looked at Jane which had let go of Striker now that he was clinging to the cane.

"Sorry mistress , but I need to be changing " he said with a big smile on his face. She smiled back as she left the cabin.

"Now Ioan be a bully lad and help me look decent."

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

"Oh thank God then," Sterling said with a sigh of relief. He turned back to the lady where she lay then leaned down to her.

"Chere," he whispered, laying a gentle hand upon her shoulder. "I fear I must wake ye, for I do not wish to see to this Striker without yer wisdom by my side."

He could not resist stroking her cheek with fingertips still clad in soaken gloves. "Forgive me," he added as her eyes slowly opened.

Crewe of the Archangel

"Oui! Get out of 'ere. We'll be off in a day or two. It'll be your last chance before we shove off." Shouted Ritter.

I thought to myself, "Maybe I won't come back." I strolled out on deck and walked down the board.

"I guess I'll find the nearest pub."

Breathing some of my last air on land, I strolled into a pub, the Cheshire Cheese Tavern, and orderd a drink. Shrugging some of the water off my coat, I looked around the room. The usual shady characters. My eye did rest for a brief moment on a person in the corner but my drink arrived and drew my attention away.

She streached, a movement of felinesque ballet. Moving to a sitting position, the large expressive eyes blinked in act of driving away cat nap hold. Sabastian remained in steepled pose, awaiting the hail on portal wood to lend information to what transpired below. Senses reached forward, gleaning the familiar whisper of movement just outside.

Then the knock, quickly followed by the threat of light fighting its' way into the realm. Two figures with luminated outlines, one lithe...the other broader in shoulder. Light was sent in retreat with closure. Christophe lingered near portal existance as Sean moved forward, "I have the Striker's reply..."

Information and instruction were relayed thoroughly, accompanied by observations and judgements.

"Well then," Sterling said offering his hand to Aurore to help her to her feet. "It is time we make our way. Are you feeling up to this mon amour?"

Crewe of the Archangel

" I am fine, merci...but, I ask that you allow me to change into more proper attire...More concealing attire, s'il vous plait and then I shall join you below."

Aurore glanced sidelong to where she knew Christophe lingered, wondering what might be playing the corridors of his mind.

"Sir , If you wish employment I can give you a position. If you agree we are going to the docks for a meeting. "

"Sorry mistress , but I need to be changing " he said with a big smile on his face. She smiled back as she left the cabin.

"Now Ioan be a bully lad and help me look decent."

The offer came as a surprize, but he took it, having nothing else but his task for the haunty Lady Tess.

"I accept your offer, but prefer not to sign any articles until you and I are better aquainted. I don't think my back could take another "falling out."

Ioan winked at the lass. "Now, miss, if you'll excuse us, I'll get the Captain dressed."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

" I am fine, merci...but, I ask that you allow me to change into more proper attire...More concealing attire, s'il vous plait and then I shall join you below."

Aurore glanced sidelong to where she knew Christophe lingered, wondering what might be playing the corridors of his mind.

"Oui Chere," Sterling said, somewhat disturbed by her need to hide and even more upset as he watched her cast her gaze upon the Frenchman. "I shall await ye downstairs then." He turned to Sabastian.

"Thank you, my friend," he said. "We shall make quick work of this and then my plans are to move The Archangel out into the harbour. Mr. Dogge is already making her ready to sail. I shall take Aurore with me. She will be safe there, you have my word. We are supping late on board, around midnight this evening. I wish you to join us, it is of the utmost importance to me that ye attend. There are matters to settle before the church tomorrow. Can I count on yer attendance?"

Crewe of the Archangel

Sabastian's brow furrowed briefly at Sterling's desire to take sibling into the sea vessel's keeping at further mooring point and he pondered what was not known to have transpired with his brief absence.

"Matters to be settled..." he echoed the other's words. "I have a bit of buisness to attend to at sunset, but I do not see where such a late meal should hamper such..."

Being parted by a distance of water knawed at him in smallish way, but he nodded accord. "I only ask that you take one of mine with you to attend my sister, s'il vous plait."