Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

"Je talonner, cher Sucre'." Aurore's features were aglow with the happiness that he gave her. " You choose, I enjoy suprises."

Familliar face drifted from view as Sterling's pace increased, but she knew that Devon Burke was not far in their wake; winding through the throng as graceful predator amongst a sea of prey.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sterling continued on now ever more intent in his quest. March and Hazzards pressed to keep a distance where they could actually maneuver properly if someone were to single out their captain once again, without actually falling behind. Aurore nearly ran to keep up with Sterling's long strides.

"Sir," Andrew March finally protested.

"My apologies Mr. March," Sterling replied. "But I do wish to conclude my business affairs before we make our way over to Striker's ship."

"Sir, ye have at least another hour. Surely ye need not kill yerself when so many others are trying to do it fer ye!" March remarked curtly.

Sterling halted a beat then continued on his way. He was in too good a mood to correct his first officer for over stepping his bounds... even if Mr. March was right in his opinion.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Inwardly grateful that pace had been slacked a hair, Aurore wondered what had his attention so focused; what destination was so urgent to achieve. Monsieur March's quip of witty manner, forced her to look away unable to hid the amusement that crossed fine wrought features. Curiosity was piqued by where it was that Sterling's course was set so steadfast.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

“A-ha!” Was Sterling’s first comment as they rounded the corner. “Ye must forgive me Chere, I am not as familiar with Port Royal as I would like,” he added as he finally came to a stop long enough to open the door to the next shop. He waited for Aurore to enter the Jewelers first, then actually bowed and allowed both lieutenants to enter after her.

“He must be in love,” Hazzards chuckled under his breath loud enough for the first Lieutenant’s ears only.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Just within, Aurore stopped and glanced to lover questioningly. Perhaps she was overwhelmed, in some smallish manner, to the protocols of the Gadje world. Things were so much more simplistic amongst the Tribes. Uncertain as to how she should proceed, Aurore waited for Sterling to join her and offer some guidence. She secretly feared causing embarrassment to him; especially with subordinants present.

As Sterling entered the shop he caught Aurore's uncertain glimpse. With a calculated breath, he finally calmed himself and went to her side. With his strange antics at the shop door, owner of the fine establishment approached March first. Senior Lieutenant hastily jerked thumb over shoulder in direction of his superior.

"Although I know what he be after, tis the Captain ye wish to be addressing," Andrew said.

"Captain?" the Jeweler said, one eye brow raised in slight suspicion.

"Aye tis what I said," March added.

"Ah yes," the man sighed and redirected his steps. "And how might I be of service... captain?"

"Come along Chere," Sterling said, once again offering her his arm. "Rings if ye please." He glanced down at Aurore. " A simple band of the lady's choice."

Crewe of the Archangel

The Proprietor disappeared into an area behind main surround; a curious glace cast Aurore's way as if she seemed familiar, but not quite.

A gathering of circlets were produced and layed upon cloth covering wood counter. Dark olive sights travelled over selection, knowledgable of said objects in worth and wrought.

Minutes passed and she made no movement to retrieve any before her, as Sterling and companions waited nearby. She glanced away to lock eyes with shopkeeper, extending one slender finger to indicate one amongst many.

"That one will due nicely, Monsieur."

Aurore looked to Sterling for approval.

“Hola Capitán. Returning to La Maligna so soon?” The smooth Spanish voice echoed off the equally smooth wood & plaster walls around them.

“Aye,” Strikers voice growled in response.

There was no escape as far as he could see , they were surrounded by what seemed to be four Spaniards. One near Jane and three in front of him. The worst part was that they knew who he was and he knew nothing about them nor about the cause of their ill motives.

The sound and smoke from a pistol being fired from his left side made him go for two of his pistols . Then there was a second shot. One of the Spaniards infront of him fell over.

"Are you alright?" Ioan asked the pair. "Are you hit?"

The woman said nothing, but her companion pointed a pistol at Ioan. Before he could decide whether to fire it.

"No time for introductions, mate," Ioan snapped. "Point that pistol at the bloody enemy, not me. And if you've got a spare, you better pull that out as well, I think we're outnumbered."

As soon as he had a fast grip around the smooth handles of the flintlocks he felt as if time itself started to slow down. He could feel his heart pacing faster , but his and the assailents actions seemed to be slowing down.

He could see the two Spaniards taking aim at him , which made him stand more with his side towards them so he would become a smaller target to hit . He bend his knees to get a better footing and fired one of the pistols . It roared at the Spaniards with defiance and sent a projectile racing through the air in the direction of one of the Spaniards which had aim at Striker's head. The bullet entered the eye socket , casting blood and gore onto the plaster wall on the side of the Spaniard while he was losing his grip on his pistol and his body falling down to the ground.

The second Spaniard that had Striker as a target fired his pistol. The Bullet missed it's target tearing a hole in Striker's coat. Astonished of still being able to stand Striker fired his second pistol. The projectory of the bullet was the Spaniard's head . The lifeless body fell to the ground landing in a puddle from the rain earlier this evening with the water splashing to all sides of him. The water slowly turning crimson. Time began to flow it's naturally course again.

Striker turned around to see what has happened with Jane . She was leaning against a rough crate and had a broken bottle in her hand. "Jane , we must go ! " Striker said with a smile upon his lips while his hand grapped one of hers, after seeing a groogy Spaniard holding a hand to his head and blood streaming down the sides of his face.

Suddenly the Spaniard made a move . He ran towards Jane and Striker with a knife blade shining in the moon light.

Striker took a hold of Jane pressing her body against his while turning his back to the Spaniard and felt a sharp pain in the lower part of his body. He lost his grip of Jane and fell to his knees.

The Spaniard face showed that he was surprised by all of it . He turned around throwing away his blood splattered knife and ran into the safety of the night disappearing in the alleyes.

Striker pulled himself up with the help of Jane.

"We must go , now!" He said with pain being clear on his face , pulling Jane with one hand behind him , and the other hand holding his back ,into the alleys towards the Maligna . Not saying anything to man that helped them out.

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Aurore looked to Sterling for approval.

He looked down at the one she indicated then looked to her.

"Are ye certain mon amour?" the mischief was again apparant in the glint in his eye. "Choose as ye like tis all I ask."

Aurore gave a nod of her head...she had made her decision.

"That is the one then," the captain agreed and the jeweler picked up the ring in question. "I shall take one as simple myself." he said. "In the silver as well," he added with a grin. Then he looked down at Aurore still smiling. "I see the name of Sterling shall suit ye just fine," he chuckled. "And now, ma Chere, ye must excuse my appaling behavior." He turned her to face him and carefully lowered the damp hood of her cloak. A droplet of rain that still clung to the hood's hem splashed to Aurore's cheek and Sterling wiped it away with his thumb then leaned down to kiss her.

Crewe of the Archangel

With rings in tow, the small knot made their way again out into the streets.

"There is someone I wish ye to meet," Sterling said but before they could travel much further the dismal skies above suddenly opened up and the steady rain now came down with a fury. Forced to take cover somewhere they now hurried forward, the captain's good arm now wrapped tightly about Aurore's shoulder in a gallant, but all too vain attempt to keep her dry.

As the rain continued to fall, people scurried quickly passed trying to find shelter of their own. One young girl, colliding hard with the couple caused Sterling to groan with discomfort, his face paling as she struck his side.

"Tis sorry I am," the girl apologized fearing the anger of her better. She seized his left arm and Aurore watched him set his teeth against the pain the girl unwittingly produced in him.

"Go on with thee," he mumbled, trying to free himself from the girl's concerned grasp. "Tis no harm done lass. Go on, get thyself out of this foul weather and allow us to do so as well."

The girl dipped in a curtsy.

"Thank ye sir," and hurried off.

"Jean," Aurore said taking his arm as March and Hazzards closed on him. "Are you all right?"

Cautiously he took a deep breath and then straightened himself.

"Well enough," he said, but his next few steps where slow and calculated.

It was then they both noticed the bookshop. It's front window now boarded up with wooden planking until repairs could be finalized.

"And that would be Mr. Merriweather the elder's doing?" March asked.

Hazzards laughed. "Aye it would indeed. His intent was well meant."

"Come inside here," Aurore suggested.

Sterling nodded in agreement. "Aye, and I have just enough to spare for a mid-day meal and a new piece of glass."

Crewe of the Archangel

As the carriage came to a hault, young Mr. Davis quickly climbed down and opened the carriage door.

"Mr. Davis." called Doctor Reiley. "Be a good lad and see the mistress to her room."

"I believe I know the way to my own room, Mr. Davis!" Snapped Lilly. "But I thank you for your vigilance."

As Davis helped Lilly from the carriage, he looked to Reiley for further instruction.

"Eyes open lad.." Cautioned Reiley, as he jestured Davis to follow the mistress to her room.

"Yes sir." nodded Davis, as he hurried to catch up to Lilly.

"Perhaps," Thought Reiley. "by the time the captain returns to the port, the mistress will be in better spirits... Perhaps things will return to the normal level of insanity... Perhaps?"

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Beggar Prince glanced up from heavy ledger with the sound of door easing back to open. The five others that waited in attendance glanced to newest arrival and made greetings of various capacities as the door was returned to former existance. Heavy velvet curtains made determination of day's hour undecipherable, and phantoms cast from oil glow danced the surround in heathen rituals known only unto themselves.

Christophe stepped softly through chamber's distance, his movement stirring gosamer strains of patchouli smoke to mimic shadow cousins. One-Eyed corvid hopped from chair back perching to stride table legnth, pausing to focus on the Frenchman as he leaned forward to table surface, balancing on fingertip extension times ten.

"Le Docteur et Madame..."he began in soft tone of smokey context.

"Have returned to The Port...." Sabastian finished.

"Oui."

"Monsieur Smythe is keeping a watch over them. We can hope there will be no other upsets."

The Frenchman gave no opinion on the subject as her reached to fill empty crystal standing in near attendance from equally near decanter. Sabastian's eyes centered on ledger text briefly, tracking down the mixture of penmenship offered by siblings varied hand.

"We have a potential pidgeon this evening..." Impish smile played over lupin features.

Christophe nodded acknowledgment, then drew deeply from crystal cage. The groan of first floor entrance drew his attention away from inner musings.

"There," Sterling mused, following Aurore inside the safety and warmth of the old shop. Once it was seen that she was all right and content to stay put until the weather once again became managable, Sterling went to inspect the damage done by his midshipman. Hazzards continued to watch the couple and March slowly began to read over the titles on good leather spines.

Crewe of the Archangel

Calico sentry watched with twitching tail as unknowns entered, spying of Mistress brought a chortled mew in greeting. Henri Stockton appeared from back reaches with the sound of door clamor. Quick eyes took in those in the immediate, then fell to Aurore with silent question. As she opened her mouth to speak, Devon stepped up from behind Stockton, scooping feline lovely from the floor.

Stockton came near, offering to take drenched cloak and glanced to where the other three men stood withing tome realm. He made no comment or query in regard to strangers, but in low voice informed Aurore of Sabastian and some of the others being upstaire. She thanked him softly then went to Sterling's side.

"Jean, let this not harri you." waving cassually at covered portal. "It is not of import."

"No, no Chere, the damage was done at my behalf. Glass tis expensive and I must make amends. It would not do otherwise. Just what would yer brother think of me then? He might not be so willing to meet us at the church tomorrow and I can not have that," Sterling replied.

Crewe of the Archangel

"Mon cher Frere...is more than likely laughing about the whole situation. You did not know him as a child....But perhaps you do, he has not changed overmuch with age."

Aurore pursed her lips in thought, "Non, Sucre'....Do not concern yourself with this. Truly it is not of consequence. I insist..."

"Ye will at least tell him then... that I tried," Sterling said. "Oh Chere," he added suddenly. "I could do with a place to sit for a moment and catch my breath. That poor child in the street has just about taken the air from my lungs."

Crewe of the Archangel

Concern knit her brow, she considered taking Sterling upstairs but did not wish to wear him further. Instead, Aurore opted for the back room, which in truth, offered just as much comfort. Devon and arm craddled cat, moved to the side as she led betrothed thru shadowed door.

The chamber was day and night contrast to the room fronting it and very much kindred to the one brother occupied above. A small door lay on furthest wall, a set of heavy locks in alignment down it's side. She directed him with gentle pace to the comfort of deep cushion divan and watched with drawn expression as Sterling took a seat.

" I truly wish you would let this Striker thing be and allow one of the others to go in your stead. I am concerned about you having a sour blow sticken against your constitution...." She looked to the deep wool Persian floor covering below her feet and continued just above whisper.

"Perhaps we should postpone tomorrow's event, Sucre'...I fear for your health..."

He reached out and pulled her to his lap. As good arm moved to its accustomed place about her waist, he laid his head against her shoulder.

"I would if I could mon amour, but Striker wishes to speak with me. I would send another in my place, but I do not know this captain and thus do not know if he has ever witnessed my face or form. If he does indeed have news of importance, then I cannot take the chance of misleading him and being caught... besides what sort of man would you think me then? Chere, there be naught more than three quarters of the hour to wait until we find ourselves aboard Striker's ship. I will stay here and rest to make ye happy until then. I had wanted to bring ye to the yards and show ye the 'Angel but with the weather I fear that must be postponed. But as to tomorrow's event, I would not postpone that for the world mon amour... never."

Crewe of the Archangel

She smiled in response to his last wordings and protective embrace. Allowing minutes to pass in silence, she once again spoke softly.

"I am not over pleased with having to attend this gentleman on his grounds. All too easy it would be, to create a trap in said situation, where he holds the upper hand...Perhaps word should be sent with arrival to the docks, that we should then retire to neutral ground. There are enough establishments in that area that would serve."

He raised his head and looked up at her.

"Ye would have us all "out in the open"... fair targets one for the other?"he asked. He thought a moment. "Perhaps it would be well received by him as well, this idea of yours. I perfer being in plain sight at the moment...rather than slinking about in the bowels of someone else's ship. If there, indeed, is someone else we must be on our guard against, I hope to draw him out by letting him think we believe all is over and, now, with the death of Killingsworth, we are free to go about our business once again. And might there be someone here who could arrange such a meeting?"

He smiled at her then, his tone softening.

"Mistress Sterling, ye shall be a clever little wife indeed. But tell me just how well do ye handle a razor? I fear I cannot bare this growth much longer," and with that he leaned forward and rubbed his bearded chin against her cheek.

Crewe of the Archangel

She smiled slyly while rising from his lap, "One could say I am accomplished with instruments of sharp steel edge..."

Crossing to the portal betwixt shop and private sanctuary, she found Devon and feline companion just to the otherside which had been anticipated. Irishman listened to her requests, nodding here and there, then turned to gain stairwell and the audience of those above.

He returned shortly with brief knock and entrance, "Sabastian said tha' Sean can relay request. He asks whet'er message should be spoken er writt'n?"

Calico companion wiggled and was released to Persian scroll below.

The light was bright and seagulls could be heard . Striker opened his eyes and he could feel the slow roll of a moored ship . He recognized it right away , It was his own Ship , the galleon La Maligna . The one thing he loved about the spaniards was that they loved to lavishly decorate their ships . He was lying in his bed, that had elaborate carvings runing through it .

He tried to get up , but felt a pain in back that forced him to make a light scream and lay down again.

He looked around and saw Jane sleeping on two chairs put together not far from him.

"Mistress !" he murmured

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Ioan stood in the darkness of the lavish cabin. One side of his shirt was bloodied where he'd assisted the Captain back to his ship. Between him and the woman, who had introduced herself as Jane, they'd almost had to drag him the last few yards. Once abed, he'd passed out, and Jane had tended the knife wound.

He assured her that he would stand guard until she could catch up on some much-needed sleep, and so he had. Despite the pain in his back, he'd enjoyed the fight, and thought the Captain had handled himself well. The woman as well, who had bandished her jagged glass with fierceness.

He shifted his stance, arms crossed, wondering why this man had been ambushed by the Spaniards, but as it was obvious the ship was of Spanish origins, Ioan had a pretty good guess.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Tess St. Claire scurried down the cobble stone street giving chase to the carriage. She was less the ¼ of a mile down the road when the skies opened up. With a distasteful tone she muttered under her breath and soon quickened her step. She dodged several people, children and the occasional dog as she continued on her caravan of contempt after the allusive carriage. Now half out of breath, Tess was very happy to see it come to a stop in front of the Three Crowns Inn. She watched as the actress and her two dog’s bodies enter the tavern. “So, this is where your lair is, eh Mistress McKinney?” With a deep breath she quickly dashed inside to find a dry warm place to confront her.

Tess looked about the tavern. Before she entered further, Tess stood there at the entrance and shook off her cap and hood to herself dry. Tess eyed the tavern only to find that there was no sign of Mistress McKinney, but sitting at a small wooden table next to the bar was one of her dog’s bodies. Tess smiled lightly to herself. “Well, this will do …for a start.” She walked slowly to the table as if to give the illusion that she was floating on air. It did not take long before the man in the buff colored coat noticed her approach. He quickly removed his hat and stood to greet her. “My Lady,” He said with a soft warm tone. “May I be of some assistance?” Her eyes dipped over his frame and back again. “Surely, you can indeed.” She said smiling her sweetest of smiles.