Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

She glanced to Sabastian then back to Sterling, "Our elder brother, Cher...I do not think he would be overly understanding to...everything."

Sabastian inhaled sharply as if to give nonverbal punctuation to sibling's call of cards. Then familiar smirk caressed his features, "But...he has gone up to Maroon's holdout and I doubt he shall return before the morrow. It is somewhat predictable for Andre' to shy from "civilized" dwellings when he has delt with Gadje for extended time..."

Dark brown sights centered of rouge trapping mommentarily then to Sterling, " C'est rien, Capitaine. I will leave you now to check the carriage progress."

Backing to doorway, Beggar Prince smiled slyly at Englishman then disapeared into hallway beyond.

"Wait, Monseuir Devareaux, if ye please," Sterling called after him. He waited a moment until Sabastian peeked back inside the room.

"I would ask ye also for an armed rider and spare horse as well, tacked and ready to ride. All shall be returned in good condition upon the morning," Sterling said.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabastian laughed good naturedly, " I believe that formalities may be dropped in light of all..." He mused for a momment, " I have not heard of Christophe's where abouts and there seems to be an object of interest that has come up on the market...per say. I shall have my horse saddled and accompany the carriage in."

Smug expression gained regular placement on lupin features, " Just another lovely family outing to town...."

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"Thank ye, Monseuir.. Sabastian..." Sterling replied, then added slightly under his breath. "Let us pray that it is less chaotic than the last time."

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

She said with a smile. "Or better yet, what can you do for me?"

She waited to hear his reply as the sounds of the street life became busy.

Ioan's patience was as frayed as an old rope, and his back was a screaming mass of pain. He very much wanted to get drunk. If the Lady had nothing for him, then he'd find a place to lay low, heal up a bit, then he'd see what else this pit of a city had to offer. He'd been to Port Royal before. This arrogant woman was not the only game available.

"That's entirely up to you, isn't it?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

It had taken longer than he had wished before he and Aurore entered the ready carriage. She sat, quietly, wrapped in a light cloak whose hood gently framed her face. Sterling could not help but stare as he took his place, at least for the commencement of the journey, opposite her.

As he adjusted the tails of the damaged coat he wore, she leaned forward and trapped his hand upon his knee with her own. He felt her fingers tighten about his.

"What is it Chere?" he asked but she did not need to voice her concernes. "I needs must do this. I shall manage, ye shall see."

"But why must you ride with Sabastian as we come into the Port? Why not stay here... with me?" Aurore whispered.

Sterling switched the position of their hands, his fingers now fixed reassuringly about hers. "I have enough reason to be concerned that someone may be watching for us. Mr. March did take this Captain Strikers' warning to heart. I, therefore, should as well until we can prove otherwise. If I remain here, buried within this carriage, and prying eyes search us out, they may think me wounded prey... hurt more seriously than I am and thus an easy target."

"But you are..." Aurore protested.

He shook his head slightly. "I shall mend... in time, with yours and the Doctor's care. A few moments in the saddle as we enter the busier part of the town, will send the message that I am not wounded prey, but wounded predator, a much more dangerous creature, and not to be taken lightly."

Crewe of the Archangel

Tess looked at him. Her eyes engulf his figure. “Well then…” She said relaxing her pose and resting her hands on the back of her writing desk chair. “Looks like we have something in common, don’t we?” The man looked at her with peculiar look. “We are after the same thing, aren’t we and what ever bit of coin we can acquire by doing what ever it takes, we are much better for it, right?” The man soon relaxed in her presences. Tess then offered him the chair as she took the bedside. “I need Killingsworth’s body. I have to send it back to London or whatever is left of it; I will pay handsomely for it if you can retrieve it and secure it promptly for me. Shall we say 10 guineas? Now, are you up for the task?”

He shook his head slightly.  "I shall mend... in time, with yours and the Doctor's care.  A few moments in the saddle as we enter the busier part of the town, will send the message that I am not wounded prey, but wounded predator, a much more dangerous creature, and not to be taken lightly."

Seeing that he was concreted in mindset, Aurore said no more of the matter. It was not that her will was so easily bent, but she saw no reason to turn current circumstance into an unwanted battle. She always chose her squares with careful judgement and this would be a prime example of one that would yield no ground nor proffer victory. With a wistful sigh, Aurore gave him the field.

The carriage shifted slightly as Delaney took driver's perch and soon after, matched Grays awoke from mommentary siestas to draw vessel down drive to the large gate and beyond. Aurore's eyes traveled over Sterling's form, stirring her senses and giving further wish that this were nothing more than an errand to be run. An errand that could be disrupted in passage; convienently delayed on offshoot trail. A hint of her thoughts froliced in the dark olive of soul's panes; temptation's smile shadowed the slight curl of full lips.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

... I have to send it back to London or whatever is left of it; I will pay handsomely for it if you can retrieve it and secure it promptly for me. Shall we say 10 guineas? Now, are you up for the task?”

Ioan thought a moment, wondering why Killingsworth's body was so important. The man was dead, for God's sake. Whatever was left of him should be buried and forgotten. But, ten guineas was ten guineas. If a rotting corpse was what she wanted, he was sure he could find one. Depending on how badly rotted it was, she'd never know if it was Killingsworth, or some dead rummy.

He smiled at her. "Done. But I need a night or two to let my back heal. Then I'll find this Killingsworth for you." He held out his hand. "Five guineas for a show of good faith, the other five when you're presented with the smelly remains."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Shortly into their trip, Sterling moved from his perch to rest himself next to Aurore in the coach. Under ordinary circumstances he would have, with her consent, spent the time with some sexual pleasure, but now he found himself, jaw clenched against the pain that coarsed through his form as the carriage swayed and bounced in bone jarring fashion along the paths that hardly passed for proper roads. As he placed his head in her lap, he found he was sweating and wishing there was something he could take to ease his discomfort. He was grateful as she stroked his hair and sat quietly, he could not bare it if she had scolded him with "I told you this was not a wise thing to do." And yet he knew she was concerned.

"Not much longer Chere," he whispered. Turning his head, he kissed her hand and mused about the day when his wounds would be well enough for him to join with her properly. The smile that spread across his face allowed her a moment to relax.

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore offered swarm smile in return, everything about this venture back into The Port set her senses on edge, but she worked to keep the extreme of worries from showing on the over all of visage. From within the folds of cloak, a linen square was obtained and she gently dabbed the sheen od perspiration from Sterling's brow.

The carriage slowed to halt and Sabastian appeared, leaning in the saddle slightly , to be framed in the borders of right side windows. "The Mill is just up ahead..." he announced, a furrow creasing brow with observation of Sterling's palor. "Perhaps we should stop for more than just the time it takes for you to gain you seat, ami. You are not looking well..." He glanced to sibling, noting the concern in her eyes then returned center to the Englishman. "We well know the Proprietress of the establishment and I am certain that she would be willing to allow a place at the hearth for a momment before we continue on."

Glancing to the road before them, Sabastian surveyed the ravage of ealier weathers effect, thinking that the carriage, so normally comfortable in ride, must have proven hellish thus far. Noir shifted footing impatiently, as if in total dissaproval to the muck below surrounding noble hooves and Beggar Prince mused in wonderment manner, that the carriage had not bogged then stuck under such conditions.

"I sent word ahead with Monsieur Roberts to have someone meet us at the Mill. Message can be relayed, if need be." Sabastian and Delaney traded glances in fleet; twined Grays shooks harness trappings while waiting idle.

Ian and Liam had spent the night at the tavern in comfort. their ill gotten gains had paid for a room and good food and drink. They slept soundly on the floor as the bed had been used to baracade the door, not about to have a repeat of the happenings at the Shipp Inn across the bay. As morning arrived a cock crowed near by waking Liam. He sat up and yawned, stretched and looked about the dimly lit room. Sparce and dingy it might have been, but it was a safe haven for the present. next to him lay a brace of pistols, a dagger and hanger. In his pocket his coin pouch was still heavy bringing a smile to his face. Ian lay not far, sleeping still. He snored lightly and occasionally stopped. Liam noticed that his brother had laid out his weapons between himself and the wall, and next to his head lay the sack containing the last of the silver stolen from the mansion. Not much was left. The last remaining pieces were too recognizable for the easy sale they had hoped for and Liam wondered if they should just dump them in a well to be rid of them. No need to keep something that would connect them with the theft. He leaned over and pinched Ian's nose shut, causing him to snore loudly, choke, and wake with a start. "Rize n shine brudder... time we made plans fur th day." Ian looked at his brother still dull with sleep, he yawned sat up and hugged himself and shivered. "Liam. . . . ummm. . . . wot we doin?" Ian shivered again and slowly stood, looked around the room and not seeing a chamber pot headed to the window, cracked open the shutters and pissed out of the opening. Liam slid over to the wall and leaned against it waiting for Ian to finish. When he finished and fixed himself, Liam spoke. "First off, we eat, then we see about dumpin th rest o the silver. just dump it, into a well or garbage pit. No one wants it an we need ta be rid of it. next we need ta lay low til night, head back across th bay. we got revenge ta serve up." Ian grinned at me. "Aye brudder Liam."

Titim gan éirí ort.

Go mbeire an diabhal leis thú

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

"The Mill is just up ahead..." he announced, a furrow creasing brow with observation of Sterling's palor. "Perhaps we should stop for more than just the time it takes for you to gain you seat, ami. You are not looking well..." He glanced to sibling, noting the concern in her eyes then returned center to the Englishman. "We well know the Proprietress of the establishment and I am certain that she would be willing to allow a place at the hearth for a momment before we continue on."

Sterling thought a moment about Sabastian's offer than sat up slowly to face him.

"No, no thank ye, I know myself well enough to know that if I stop now I will not wish to carry on until morning. Mr. March was quite adament that this Striker had to meet with me before dawn. I am hoping that if he knows I am, at least, returned back into the Port, he will grant me time to recoup there and mayhaps, meet with me in the later morning instead." Sterling paused then chuckled to himself. "Or else Striker's extreme need to meet in such haste may be the death of me."

Brother laughed in accord but younger sibling's eyes widened so that Sterling quickly placed his good arm about her shoulders and pulled her close.

"My apologies Chere. A jest in poor taste and uttered with little thought for your feelings." And yet as he held her close, he realized he was leaning heavily upon her for support. "We'd best move on," he said bringing the back of left hand gingerly upward to blot the moisture upon his upper lip. "Be so kind, Sir, to let me know when best to mount the other horse," he asked Sabastian. "And perhaps ye or Mr. Delaney might have a flask with something strong in it?"

Crewe of the Archangel

The sound of nearing carriage and multiple horses drew Christophe's attention away from bathing actions. Wading carefully to embakement edge, britches were donned and he continued upward to glimpse gray twins gaining bridge's far side. With agile movement, embankment crest was conquered and short distance to drive entrance achieved.

As the carriage neared, Delaney slowed team once again to turn and reined to hold position as Christophe motioned in negation of action. Sabastian gave mount prodding to near where the Frenchman stood, who quietly queried who was in the cabin. Answer received, he motioned Beggar Prince to more secluded surround.

Events of recent past were relayed which caused Sabastian to purse his lips, leading to a momment of quick decisive thought then conclusion. They spoke for a brief of time more, then rider rejoined carriage company. He kept expression neutral while leaning into passenger's view, "I think it best we continue on further to just outside town's edge then pause. Tonight is not a good night to visit Madame Crane, apparently she has company and I would prefer not disturb her..."

"Tis just as well," Sterling said, his voice heavy. "I think I can bare not much more of this journey. I know not whether to make hast and endure the worst but arrive all the sooner, or slow our pace a bit and gain a breather."

He no longer even bothered to right himself, but continued to lay his head in Aurore's keeping.

"Is the road conducive to a faster pace... the going seems sluggish at best?"

Crewe of the Archangel

Sabastian queried Delaney's thoughts on the matter and was answered in turn.

"Monsieur Delaney thinks that we can increase our speed a smallish more. If not for recent rain, we would be there by now. I care not to judge what may seem unbearable to you, mon ami...So we shall step up the pace and if it is not of endurable qualities you will say something, oui?"

"Oui," Sterling answered, already gritting his teeth at the mere idea.

Aurore leaned forward, over him, one arm wrapped protectively about him. He would have taken her hand in his but he feared hurting her by crushing her fingers. He bit his lower lip as the carriage lurched forward, but he could not hide the groan that escaped him.

"Talk to me Chere. Tell me of something ye desire," he whispered.

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore contemplated, but not for overlong then answered softly,"Desire? That is a creature of many facets, amour. There are simple desires and those that can only be dreamed of...I can say that I am fulfilled overall. I live a life free from false persecution; free from the loud judgements of others; I have shelter and warmth; food and clothing. I do not go without, which was not always the case..." She smiled, " And I have you to love and be loved by..."

She thought further, "Perhaps I miss Navarre and the small freedoms that were to be cherished in another world...in another life...But, that matters not, anymore. The past is the past."

He listened to her words as the carriage jostled along, an occasional whistle from Delaney to his team, encouraging them to keep to their task.

She had obviously led a very sheltered life and in a way he was glad of it and yet a new concern was brought to mind by what she had said. How on earth would she ever fit in if they were ever to return to England to settle? Part of him was unaffected by such a worry, surely he himself did not fit in there and yet he managed to hold his own. Certainly she, gifted with intelligence, beauty, and charm, would soon rule over many hearts in his company. And yet he did not wish for her to be uncomfortable about the world he would soon force her into.

For a second the carriage stuck fast, then jerked upward and forward with a crash as it regained its claim on the earth.

"Are ye up then to face the challenge of yer new life to come?" he whispered through clenched teeth.

Crewe of the Archangel

"Gageure?..." her expression pinched in puzzlement, "Qui gageure, Sucre'?"

A wry shadow overcast the puzzlement of a second before," I am adaptable, one learns young to adapt or die out. If this were not so, niether Sabastian or I would be here this day. I am not as fragile as I may seem, mon cher amour."

“C'est bon entendre. Je ne vous ai jamais pensé faible ma chere dame,” Sterling replied. “If ye are able to put up with me, surely ye can face any challenge.”

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore laughed good naturedly, " Love is blind and unquestionably devoted, mon doux Amour. I am sure that there is nothing that you can do that will hold a candle to what I have endured in the past. I know nothing more than that which my heart directs and shall follow that compass doggedly and loyally until my last step upon this mortal plane. I love you without question, without doubt and dare the world or society to question or judge otherwise..."

Once again she dabbed his forehead gently with linen square.

“Merci, Chere, ye are a great comfort to me,” he sighed, then closed his eyes, trying not to concentrate on the bouncing vehicle.

He thought he had actually drifted off for a bit for when he opened his eyes, the carriage finally began to slow and then came to a halt, the grays blowing hard, their harness jingling like tiny bells as one shook his relief and the other pawed the muck about him in his wish to continue on to a nice dry stable. Delaney quieted his tired pair, then leapt from the box to give them both a moments peace and a loving pat in reward for their great efforts. Sabastian too, took the opportunity to dismount, knowing all too well, he would be needed to help Sterling into the saddle.

As the carriage door opened, Sterling was already sitting upright, his face drawn and ghostlike as he thanked Aurore for her handkerchief and dried his face.

“Only a few moments more Chere and we shall be at The Three Crownes and then I promise I will to bed,” he said, the forced smile all too unconvincing that he was fit enough to carry out his ploy. “May I?” he asked, folding the simple linen fabric, her initial embroidered upon one corner, and gesturing to tuck it safely away in the cuff of his left glove.

Crewe of the Archangel

She nodded with pensive qualities trying to gain ground over her facial features. Standing, Aurore took his arm in effort to stablize minute sway that he tried to play off as nothing. The carriage door opened, step was disengaged and swung down, Delaney deserted Grays to aid Sabastian in Sterling's retreat of cabin encompasement. Both men caught good hold and allowed a moment for sure placement of footing on rain ravaged terra.

Sabastian caught Sterling's attention quietly, " Are you sure that this is what you wish to do...?"

The other nodded affirmation.

"Very well, I shall not argue better judgment. I do think it best that you take my horse over the other, though. You will find the gait more pleasurable." His voiced dropped to near whisper, " And he will stop if you begin to loose your seating."

Sterling paced back and forth trying to catch his breath, craddling his left arm close to his chest. Sabastian hovering close, like a fine mare watching her foal struggle upward upon long, spindly legs as it tried to gain its freedom to roam. As the captain finally made his way toward Sabastian’s horse, he suddenly realized how foolish his idea was, he could not even gather up the reins in his left hand in order to mount.

“A leg up?” Sabastian offered.

“Aye, it must be so,” Sterling agreed, grasping the front of the saddle firmly with his right hand. Sabastian bent and took hold of the other’s knee and ankle. “Say when.”

Sterling took several deep breaths, then with a nod of his head, he felt himself lifted, he easily turned his right leg over the cantle but gasped hard as he lowered himself into place. He slumped forward, the stars he saw, having nothing to do with the lights in the sky that were currently cloud covered. He felt one of Sabastian’s hands pushing his left leg hard into place, holding him steady, the other grabbing his coat by the small of his back.

“Are you all right?” Devareaux whispered, although Aurore had watched the entire time from the darkness of the vehicle.

“Aye,” Sterling muttered a second later. It was several more seconds before he finally gathered up the reins in his right hand. He looked down at the other man. “Boot to boot then?” he asked, using the old cavalry term.

Sabastian nodded his head, released his grip then backed off for the other mount. Delaney gave one finally pat to each of the grays, then reclaimed his perch in the box. Aurore watched Sterling until her brother rode up upon the captain’s right side and then she quickly lost sight of him as the carriage finally commenced the last leg of their trip and the two men fell in behind at a walk.

Crewe of the Archangel

The entire situation was un-nerving, but Aurore had been told from a very young age that she possesed an steel spine. It was in circumstances such as this, that such qualities, as well as others of her character, made moments of adversity less traumatizing than to that of another. The fact that Brother was in Sterling's near company added re-enforcement to jangled senses. The carriage was a barrage of blind spots, and she worked hard resisting the constant temptation to peek out one of several windows to assure all was in the rights.

The muffled tred of hoof trudging muddied road, combined with the snippets of conversation barely gleened were things that Aurore centered her senses on. If one or the other dissipated, came to sudden halt or changed cadence, she would instantly play foolish girl...But until that time, stalk still she would remain on cushioned seat and pray that journey's end would come to culimation soon...