Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

"Yes of course if that will ease yer mind. I am glad you shall join us.. I am certain ye will not be disappointed." Sterling shook hands with Devareaux, then with a last, disapproving glance at Christophe, he made his way downstairs to collect his officers and wait upon his betrothed.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ioan helped Striker with putting the clothes on and ready for the meeting . Striker decided to dress in the coulor maroon.

As Striker walkede out of the cabin with the help of Ioan and a cane his eyes met with Jane's emerald eyes.

"Mistress , I shan't ask ye to join me . It might be dangerous , one can never know. But if ye want to come then do so " he said with a questioning smirk

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Aurore watched after as the room emptied to leave but she and brother. Sabastian made no further comment on recent revalation, but she could tell he was bothered. Crossing to a large chest hidden in the dim, clothing was selected removed.

Sabastian gave one last look to her then followed in the other's wake. As the door was closed, the layers of silk were abandoned for trappings of Brother's younger years. The britches and shirt of loose flow acting as concealment to attributes the silks would not. Short soft souled boots were laced into place and an old favored chapeau of wide brimmed nature placed as crown. A wide sash was wrapped over circling belt of worn surface, covering the series of small blades in leather keeping.

It was of great concern to her that she apeared a liability, or that the man who's audience was to be attended might think less of Jean with a woman in his entourage.

Tresses bound in several tongs, Aurore retreated dark chamber for the main room below.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Jane paced anxiously across the open deck. Her worn shoes tapped rhythmically on the sea abraded planks. She clenched her hands into tight balls, work shortened nails carving red moons in the palms. Striker was out of his mind, she was sure of it. The man could hardly stand yet he planned to go on a walk with this Captain Sterling in less than a quarter hour. What could possibly be so important that he would risk being out in the open after last nights altercation? Surely who ever attacked them but a few hours earlier knew that Striker was injured and would be looking to finish the job.

Jane was over come with the urge to storm back into the room and demand that Striker put off the meeting. At least until he was well enough to defend himself properly again. She felt a tremendous responsibility for his current position. After all, he had protected her from the Spaniard’s blow, had he not? If only the shot hadn’t missed she lamented, regretting that the closest she came to guns aboard the Anna Rae had been to repair the crate they were stored in. She spun on a heel, taking several determined steps back towards the ornate door before regaining her senses. No, it would not do to be candid with Striker when she knew nothing of this meeting. Just as she was about to turn away the cabin door opened. Striker exited, leaning heavily on a cane. The dark red of his coat washed the color from his face, disclosing traces of the pain he was so obviously in.

"Mistress , I shan't ask ye to join me . It might be dangerous , one can never know. But if ye want to come then do so "

Jane glanced to Ioan, hovering like a shadow over Striker’s shoulder. She knew the place that was expected of her and would not undermine the captain’s authority with the newcomer by speaking her mind. Jane grit her teeth in an attempt to prevent saying something out of place. The words she did manage were carefully spoken, hiding as much emotion as they revealed.

“I wish to see this through Captain.” Her eyes fixed on his, the smirk on his lips spreading slightly at her response.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

It was the men of The Archangel that swerved about to stare upon Aurore's entrance. "By God!" Sterling himself exclaimed throughly taken unawares until a double glance relayed to him who the young man truly was. Except for his oath, he was struck dumb by her appearance, taking several steps backward as she approached.

Aurore watched him as his good eye moved rapidly over her taking in her apparel.

"Chere, why are ye dressed like a man?" he finally whispered.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Devon Burke glanced to the ruckus, noticed Aurore and shrugged. In his mind, the English always seemed a bit uptight. Sabastian traded looks with the others of Le Cour present then trained on where Sterling seemed to have lost a degree of his facial color. Aurore's expression pinched minutely, then she turned without word motioning for Sterling to follow into the back room.

With the door secured, she inclined her chin with puzzelment floating in olive pools.

"I did not think it best to attend this in normal attire, therfore giving the other man in question the impression that you relied on a woman's advice. Is that not looked down upon in your world?"

She turned away, focusing on the wavering dance of near oil flame, "I am concerned for your safety, Sucre'..." Reaching to the sash's edged, she rolled it down just enough to reveal what was hidden beneath.

"If it is of deep displeasure to you, I shall change. But...I urge you ahead and I shall follow to keep from delaying the other Capitaine any further..." Aurore's voice was just above whisper.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"Relied on a woman's advice?! Good Lord, Lady, do you think I would not ask yer advice in matters that concern not just myself but ye as well? Do ye think I am a free man, Chere? My life is not mine own, I have officers, crew, and their families to answer to and soon to ye as well. Heaven forbid that I would ever think myself so above and better than you all as to souly make decisions without any of your consideration. As to "my world"... for once and for all let us settle in yer mind that I do not have a world into which I fit so snuggly like a piece to a puzzle. I live by mine own standards and not the ridiculous dictates of men, or would ye rather, once we are wed, that I treat ye like a piece of property and not as a human being and my partner?"

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore turned sharply to face him, eyes narrowed a degree with feral glint that breached the refining Christophe had honed so skillfully. Quickly her mental workings calculated the battle line and her lips parted to speak...Then, just as quickly as the storm had boiled up, it dissipated. Another battle not worth the cost, and she nodded silent understanding.

Slipping by on soft soles, Aurore paused as the door was brought back to open, "Tres vien...I will change my attire to what you prefer. Monsieur Roberts shall bring me to where you are."

Sterling watched her as she moved to the door, then lowered his eyes. With a shake of his head, he whispered, "No Chere, ye are not hearing me. I am not tellin ye what to wear or what not to wear...although I must confess I had not expected this..." he said gesturing toward her garments. "I am saying that I do not expect ye to fall into what ever role my so called world says ye must. Please try to understand, I do not think ye a fraile creature that needs be set up in a safe place. I know well enough that yer mind is quick and ye handle yerself more than adequately in a given situation, if I did not, I would never have asked ye to accompany me on such a venture, but, please Chere, be yerself with me, not what others would have ye be."

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore nodded again, a sad smile gracing expression, "If that is what you wish, Sucre'... I cannot promise that you will always understand, but I will help you try."

Moving back to him, she streached up on toe support, brushing his lips with her own.

"I shall change attire..."

Her expression troubled him.

"I shall await ye outside then," he said as he turned for the door. He brought gloved fingers to eyes, rubbing them briefly, trying not to second guess what had just now passed. He wished to think that he was just worn. And yet, he felt more compelled to believe now that he could never make her happy. He cleared his throat and straightened before he passed through the doorway, putting into place a mask of his own and rejoined the others.

Crewe of the Archangel

Sabastian's hand-me-downs re-stored, Aurore guised herself in dark hues of azure. Returning to the first floor, she paused watching the gathering of men as they waited outside. Sabastian and a few of the others remained inside and seeing her return, brother offered a wink. She smiled warmly in response then moved onward to join those just beyond the front entrance.

Sterling looked about the group as Aurore pulled hood up to protect fine curls from the weather. He watched her as she stepped outside to join them all but he found he could not smile despite the fact that she took his breath away.

"Mr. Hazzards if ye would kindly lead the way," Sterling said, his tone suddenly as worn as he now felt. "Time to get this over and done with." He offered his arm to Aurore as Matthew Hazzards headed off.

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore took his proffered arm, drawing close to Sterling's warmth. Something was haunting him and under the circumstances, it could be one of many things or many of one thing. She snuck a glimpse of his expression and was concerned by what was seen. Moving free hand to the arm that craddled her own, Aurore gave a small squeeze to his coat sleeve in act of reassurance.

He walked steadfastly forward as if nothing were amiss. Everyone's pace was intent on reaching final destination without any further delay. And yet, when he felt her touch, his eyes filled with moisture which was quickly blinked away.

Without breaking stride, he leaned down toward her and whispered for her ears alone. "My God, Chere, ye frighten me. I fear I will die if ever I should lose ye or yer respect."

Crewe of the Archangel

She cast a quick glance to him around hood barrier, replying quietly in French, "These are things that will never happen, Sucre'. I love you, and pure love is eternal; without boundries or restrictions to bind its' want. When I look in your eyes, I see us aged with grandchildren afore us playing in our midst. These are things that shall come to pass..."

Aurore looked past hood edge again, eyes holding his, "I promise."

"Hail La Maligna," Hazzards shouted as the quartet soon came to a halt besides the great ship, the members of Le Cour having long vanished, blending into the background and positioning themselves in areas where they could be of the most help if the need occassioned itself.

Sterling pulled Aurore close, his hand passing invisibly betwix them, pressing his Snaphaunce into her safe keeping beneath her cloak.

"I have a feeling, Chere, that I need not explain how it works," he whispered.

"Captain John Sterling and his Lady, have come to call upon Captain Striker!"

Crewe of the Archangel

Devon Burke slinked onto the stoop of waterfront tavern and surveyed the near distant sea vessel with cassual air. A serving maid just coming in for the long day's duty caught his eye and was called over.

"Now ain' ye jus' a fine sight to me starvin' eyes, gerl.."

She paused in step to the familiar voice, placing hands on hips, " Tis a wee early fer ye to be loafin' about, bigh."

Burke feinged innocence, "An there ye go...Tis ne'er too early to be gazin' pon one such as ye...Why, a drop o' the craithur be jus' an added delight."

Maid rolled her eyes and laughed before continueing inside.

"Oh yer breakin' me heart, lass..." Devon clutched his chest in mock pain, chuckling to himself, knowing full well she would give him a tumble later in the night. Turning his attention towards the docks, Devon Burke watched like aloof cat mimicing sleep.

“Mistress McKinney!” Yelled Davis, as he kicked the door several times. “Your luggage! Your valuables! Please open the door, I don’t think I can hold them for much longer!”

The sudden pounding on the door as Mr. Davis continued to kick at it made Lilly jump with a start. She suddenly realized that the noise would call attention to her room and come quickly to see what all the noise was about. She was quickly opened the door just wide enough to hush Mr. Davis. "Mr. Davis!" She shouted in a harsh whisper. "Do you not respect the others who live on this floor as well? Conduct yourself in proper manner, please." It was then Mr. Davis noticed the tear-stained face of Mistress McKinney. "Here? What's the matter Mistress? Are you not well? Shall I send for Dr. Rieley?" Lilly shook her head no. "I fear that what ails me can not be treated with any of the fine treatments the Doctor possesses. I am just tired, Mr. Davis. You can put the rest of my luggage in my room now. Just there…near the table.” With that being said, Mr. Davis pulled and pushed the oversized trunks and bags into her room.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

It was obvious to Davis, the mistress had been crying. But trying to solve such a predicament was far from his areas of knowledge.

"Yes m-lady.." Agreed Davis, placing the luggage as directed.

"Would there be anything..... else?" Added Davis, looking at the distruction which cluttered the room.

"Hail La Maligna," Hazzards shouted as the quartet soon came to a halt besides the great ship, the members of Le Cour having long vanished, blending into the background and positioning themselves in areas where they could be of the most help if the need occassioned itself.

Sterling pulled Aurore close, his hand passing invisibly betwix them, pressing his Snaphaunce into her safe keeping beneath her cloak.

"I have a feeling, Chere, that I need not explain how it works," he whispered.

"Captain John Sterling and his Lady, have come to call upon Captain Striker!"

Lauritzsen looked over railing and saw Sterling and his entougarage , he hurried over to Striker to inform his captain , and to try to talk him out of going ashore in his state. But it seemed that the captain was set on pulling it through.

Even though Lauritzsen could not understand a word of English , he insisted on going with Striker for his protection. He knew the captain was stubborn as hell and he would pull it through no matter what. At times Lauritzsen hated the stubbornness , but he knew that it also was a trait that had saved the crews life when they were boarded by the Spaniards aboard Havheksen . If it was not for the captain they would have been at the bottom of Davey's locker and not sailing on the assailent's ship.

Striker still holding fast to his cane began to walk towards the gangplank , grinding his teeth with every

step he took from the pain being sent through his whole body for each step he took ,with the help of Jane and the cane. Closely followed by Ioan and Lauritzsen.

"Captain Sterling , nice to make your acquaintance " He said while looking at the men that were with Sterling. Sterling was acompanied by a woman .

"And Mistress McKinney I Presume "

Jane watched Striker tense as his lieutenant informed him of Captain Sterling’s arrival. His brow flicked in an obvious indication of pain. She winced in sympathy wishing again that he’d taken time to recover before venturing out. Judging by the insistent conversation from his crewman, she was not the only one who felt he should rest. Despite the voiced concerns Striker remained stubborn in his goal. Without another word, Lauritzsen fell quietly into the captain’s shadow next to Ioan.

Jane slipped next Striker as he began to walk, seeing the difficulty he was in. She carefully took his free arm, offering a hidden second support to the cane he leaned on. She could feel the tension that ran through him with every step. Inwardly she found herself worrying that the recent injury combined with dismal weather would case him undue illness. He seemed strong but experience had taught Jane that the strong were often the first to fall. The protective urge she felt towards this man felt foreign to her. It overwhelmed every other thought she had.

Jane was pleasantly surprised to see Captain Sterling accompanied by a young lady. The presence of the two women would go a long way in disguising their meeting to any accidental observers. As Striker began proper introductions Jane’s eyes scanned the dockside crowd. She felt an uneasy nagging in the back of her mind that there were more people watching them than could be seen. Perhaps it was latent fear after last nights excitement, but her eyes kept moving none the less. It wasn’t until a stunned silence fell over the small group that her focus returned to the matter at hand.

"And Mistress McKinney I Presume "

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Sterling had been rude, staring down into the face of Mademoiselle Devareaux whilst he waited for a returning hail from the La Maligna.

"I am sorry for how this day has developed so far, Chere. I fear it has not always been to yer liking. We shall find time to talk before this evening. I am certain it would be for the best of us. There are so many things I need to learn about ye, in order that I may make ye happy in yer new life." He reached and smoothed the palm of his glove against her cheek and cursed the leather that separated him from the feel of her.

With no reply still forth coming, it was Hazzards that noticed the man that looked over the railing.

"Off to fetch his captain, I hope, " Mr. March remarked. He shifted, uncomfortably from foot to foot. "Does not seem normal makin a social call in this sort of weather," he grumbled low.

"Aye Mr. March but we have no other choice," Sterling replied through his teeth.

It was a few moments longer before a gentleman, supported by cane and a lady made their appearance and slowly proceeded down to the docks.

Sterling's eyes narrowed a bit. "I have seen the one before. The man in the back. If I remember correctly, he was with me earlier, the day I was shot," he whispered indicating Ioan. "The others I know not."

Andrew March instantly straightened, there was more to his repositioning of himself than the attempt to look his best.

"Thar seems to be a plague directed at ships' officers in this Port, " Hazzards commented. "First the Oxford, then Captain Sterling, and ... surely this man hasn't taken a tumble from the ratlines."

Sterling and March looked briefly to Mr. Hazzards.

"Mayhaps, Mr. Hazzards, " Sterling said before the captain of the La Maligna closed upon them.

"Allow me to present myself," Sterling said addressing the others. "I be John Sterling, captain of The Archangel. This is Andrew March and Matthew Hazzards, my first and second lieutenants respectively."

The three gentlemen of the 'Angel bowed.

"Captain Sterling , nice to make your acquaintance," Striker said.

Sterling gave a nod then raised his right hand slightly, Aurore moving to the foreground as he did. He was about to make the proper introductions regarding his beloved when Striker suddenly continued.

"And Mistress McKinney I Presume."

For a moment, Sterling choked. Completely taken unawares, he faltered, his eyes growing wide at the mistake. He felt Aurore squeeze his arm once more... the same reassuring pressure telling him it was all right.

"No, I have the honour of presenting to you, my betrothed, Mademoiselle Aurore Devareaux of Port Royal, Jamaica."

Crewe of the Archangel

"Oh , my apologies Mademoiselle Devareux .... " Striker cleared his throat and continued " It was just that it also deals with Mistress McKinney. Again I apologize ! " he said with his face turned as red ,if not more , as his maroon clothing.

He tried to change the subject " Hope that we do not to walk to far . As soon as Mr. Hazzards left us yesterday. There were some trouble . shall we walk ?"

Striker's experience in the art of blending into the environment made him notice that they were being kept a eye on.

"Are these your men or might it be another trap?"