Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Ioan was at first miffed at the rebuff. After all, he'd helped safe the bloody man's life. He gave the captain a curt nod, and left the cabin. It did not prevent him from lingering nearby, to see who the visitor might be.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young Mr. Davis held the door as Mistress McKinney entered her room, only to have the door slammed shut the moment she cleared the doorway. But as he hurried to return to assist Doctor Reiley, he suddenly found himself colliding with a young serving girl.

“Blast!” cried the young girl, as the tankards tumbled to the floor.

“I’m terribly sorry!” offered Davis. “Let me help you…”

“A lot good that’ll do!” Snapped the young girl. “Me uncle will ‘ave me hide for this!”

“What the bloody hell!!!” Bellowed the tapster Haggarty, as he poked his head out of the kitchen. “You can’t do anything right, can you girl!!”

“Actually sir, it was all my fault.” Insisted Davis. “In my haste to help with the mistress’s luggage, I wasn’t watching where I was going….”

“Is that a fact now!” growled Haggarty, as he redirected his anger to Davis. “Perhaps I should be teaching you the lesson for not…”

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

He quickly removed his hat and stood to greet her. “My Lady,” He said with a soft warm tone. “May I be of some assistance?” Her eyes dipped over his frame and back again. “Surely, you can indeed.” She said smiling her sweetest of smiles.

Lady Tess took the seat that he offered and waved to the servant girl to get her attention. “I am Jacob Reiley, physician.” He said with a flourish and flashy smile. Tess smiled back at the dashing young man that had captured her full attentions. “Forgive my forwardness, good doctor, but I saw you and your Mistress enter this tavern and I am sure that I may have met her before.”

With another smile, Reiley puffed out his chest as if he were a peacock dancing proudly about. “Mayhap you have, my Lady, for that is Mistress Lilly McKinney, the famous actress of the King’s Company in London!” “Truly?!” Tess said as if to hide the false expression of excitement from her face. “Well then, she it the very same person whom I have met then! Does she not accompany Captain John Sterling?” Reiley felt a moment of awkwardness and went quiet. “She has been known to do so.” He replied as the servant girl finally arrived. Tess quickly handed the girl a coin or two. “Nye, Let me my kind, Sir. How often can I say that I enjoyed such good company and to meet up with the very famous London Lilly.” Reiley being a bit short on cash did not stop him for attempting to buy the round at first, but with the Lady’s true enthusiasm, he was not going to push the matter further. “I would be most grateful if you would arrange a meeting with her.” said Tess as she raised her glass.

Reiley almost gagged on his ale at the very thought, at first. “Come, come.” Tess said placing down her glass. “The actress must rally in this sort of attention all the time.” Tess lent forward over the tabletop and smiled. “And I would be ever so grateful to you if you were able to do so.” It was at that moment Reiley’s eyes darted down to the over-flowing ampleness of the Lady’s bodice. As he tried to clear his throat of ale and nervousness, she looked him straight in the eye. “That is, if I am not interrupting her or her busy schedule. I am sure that she has many important things to do and people to meet…the Governor, or Captain Sterling, perhaps?” Reiley wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, peered at her bosom, quickly made eye contact with her again and smiling like a fool. “I am sure if I were to make the proper introductions she would be very happy to meet with you, my Lady. I am sure that if I told her that an adoring public admirer was asking to meet her acquaintance it would be the very thing to lift her spirits today!” And with that Reiley stood from the table and took a bow. “I shall make the introductions then. Whom may I ask is calling on her?” As Tess looked up at him and smiled. “Tell her…an old friend from court. I will make my name known to her upon the meeting.”

"Very well then m-lady." Smiled Reiley, as he stood and slightly bowed. Still trying not to make obvious his wayward glances. "Would you like to accompany me now or should I arrange a meeting at a later time? Either way, I'm sure Mistress McKinney would be glad to accomodate such a meeting."

However, a sudden crash of tankards and raised voices, quickly caught Reiley's attention.

"I beg your pardon m-lady." Insisted Reiley, as he noticed young Mr. Davis about to be pummled. "I believe that young man is in my employ."

“Mr. Davis! Shouted Reiley, as he interrupted the tapster Haggarty. “You young man are more trouble than you are worth! Why I keep you around is beyond me!”

Surprised by the additional scolding, Haggarty was taken aback.

“I suppose you’re responsible for this disaster!” Continued Reiley, allowing a nod of confidence to be seen by young Davis.

“Yes sir…” replied Davis, as he lowered his head. But not before catching a reluctant smile appear on the young girl’s face. “I fear my clumsiness has plagued me again!”

“Very well then!” Snapped Reiley, as he grabbed Davis by the back of the collar and whispered in his ear. “Give her a smile before you go, lad.”

“Out with you now, you little upstart!” Added Reiley, as he shoved Davis toward the door. “And see to those damn animals!”

As Reiley began to talk circles around the dullard known as Haggarty, he couldn’t help but catch a brief glimpse of young Davis, as he stopped at the door and gave a gentle smile to the young girl as she collected the fallen tankards.

It was a smile that was happily returned...

But as Reiley finished calming the tapster Haggard, he returned his attention to the lovely creature he had spoken with moments earlier.

"M-lady?" Offered Reiley, as he returned to the table of the mistress's mysterious admirer.

sig2.jpg

"I will be happy to accompany you, Doctor Reiley." She held out her hand to him and he took it in the proper manner. "She will be very pleased to know that her admiring public has followed her here to Port Royal. Have you been in port long?" Asked Reiely as he offered her the small narrow stairwell first. "No, not long. Though I am amazed at the excitment of this place." Her tone struck a cord with Reiley for a moment.

Up the back stairwell towards the center of the hall is where the good doctor had lead her. "This is her room. Best to wait here first." He whispered. As he knocked on the door and called for Mistress Lilly in a very happy tone. "Mistress Lilly? It is I, Reiley. I would like you to meet someone. They say that they are a admirer of your work upon the stage back in London." At first there were no reply, then came a great crashing of pottery against the door. Amazed at the outbust, Tess looked at the Doctor. "My, I wonder how she treats the critics of her work?"

Clearing his throat at the awkward moment, Reiley have a somewhat embarrassed smile of reassurance.

"Mistress Mckinney?" Called Reiley. "If you would be so kind..."

Smash! Went another article of furniture.

"Is everything alright?" Asked the young lady, attempting to dismiss the obvious tantrum on the other side of the door.

"I'm afraid not, m-lady..." replied Reiley, as he was interrupted by another loud crash. "I believe that was a chair... Perhaps another time, when the mistress is in better.... Sorts?"

sig2.jpg

Tess shook her head. "Oh, I've waited so long and I may not have another chance to speak with her. I am only in Port Royal for a little while longer. Could you please try once more?" Tess smiled sweetly again at the good doctor; using her womanly charms to convince him that it would be worth the it...even though there may be a chance being caught in the cross-fire.

"Very well then..." Replied Reiley, with a painful smile.

"Mistress?" called Reiley. "There is a young lady out here to speak with you. She says she is a great admirer of your work... Perhaps if you???"

sig2.jpg

Mumbling could be heard from the other side of the door. With the clicking of the lock, the door soon opened and their stood Mistress Lilly McKinney, looking worse the wear from what had probably been a very rough day. Her hair was tossed about in a hectic manner and her eyes were puffy from weeping. She first met Doctor Reiley with her glance. It looked as if she would have done him in, had it not been for his gracious but pitiful look towards Lady Tess.

It was then Mistress Lilly turned her head and looked at the fine and elegant figure standing next to the good doctor. “It is a pleasure to see you again, Mistress McKinney. Do you remember me? I am Lady Tess St. Claire.” Tess uttered in her soft sophisticated voice. Lilly face soon drained to a very pale white. “Leave us, Reiley.” She whispered softly, but with a tone of concern. “I wish to speak with Lady St. Claire…alone.”

"Absolutely mistress...?" Replied Reiley, as he offered Lady St. Claire the door. "If you need anything, feel free to..."

"I will be fine doctor." Interrupted Lilly, as she closed the door.

As Reiley began to walk away, he began to feel as though something was not right with the mistress's reaction and the look in her eyes... It was the look on a person's face as they walked to the gallows.

"Excuse me sir." interrupted a young voice.

As Reiley turned, he found the young serving girl whom young Mr. Davis had troubled earlier.

"Yes my dear?" Smiled Reiley.

"I don't wish to be forward, sir." the young girl continued. "But the young man in your charge?"

sig2.jpg

Jane was about to follow Ioan out the door when Striker commented on her trustworthiness. The compliment halted her in mid step. She had only known the gentleman for a few hours and yet knowing he trusted her sparked pride she hadn’t felt in many months. She glanced to the captain with a soft smile. Even in little more than a simple shirt, propped amongst rumpled bed linens, he had an air of authority about him.

Wordlessly she turned, drawing one of the sturdy chairs over to Striker's bedside. She offered the seat to the messenger with a gesture. She then focused her attention on ensuring each man had a full mug of the available wine. Satisfied that basic hospitality was taken care of, Jane stepped back from the men, hands clasped demurely behind her back. She didn’t want to seem interested in the ensuing conversation, even though curiosity ate at her. She found herself channeling her mother’s placid expression. Eyes down, hands still, to every man ye give good will; she could almost hear her mother’s familiar refrain. Inwardly, she focused on every word exchanged.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Lilly let Lady Tess enter her room as she watched the somewhat reluctant Reiley walk off towards the maid servant who was beckoning him at the end of the hallway. With the doctor safety out of sight, Lilly quickly returned to her unexpected guest and shut the door and locked it behind her.

Tess looked about the disheveled room for the moment. Signs of domestic drama were still evident. “Either you’ve pitched a raging fit again, Mistress McKinney or you are in dyer need of a reliable servant.” Lilly looked at Tess as she smiled that evil little smile that she was so well known for. “I’m surprised that you are in such good humor these days, Lady St. Claire, knowing how your personal affairs are so laden with rumors of misery and deceit.” Tess quickly shot her a look of loathing and took the last surviving chair in the room. “It is not my life that is in shambles…. is it, Mistress?” Tess’ tone was condescending as she picked at her dress and removed a loose thread. “Whatever do you mean, my Lady?” Lilly said taking a seat upon her bed. “Come now, the whole of London has heard your tale of woe and sorrow, Mistress McKinney. How the good Lord Darnly took you in and under his wing, only to be deceitfully betrayed by you and the Empress! He is very angry with you, Mistress and you know that he has such a horrid temper.” Lilly’s face paled once more as she tried to forget his last rampage of anger.

“The Empress had nothing to do with my leaving England. You can inform him of that and that I have no plans on returning to him or England any time soon.” Tess suddenly stood from her chair. “Oh I dare say he already knows of your plans, Mistress. You think you are being so cleaver, do you? Funny how you have ended up in Port Royal just about the same time Captain John Sterling had arrived.” Lilly looked up at Lady St. Claire. This time she did not try to hide her emotions. “How dare you!? I answer to know one now…and as far as my arrival here in Port Royal, it is strictly coincidental!” It was then Lady St. Claire started to laugh. The very tone of it was wicked and fiendish.

It was then Lilly could not swallow any more of Lady Tess’ insufferable conduct. “You Lady are no Lady!” And with that, Lilly raised her hand and slapped her upon the cheek.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

"I don't wish to be forward, sir." the young girl continued. "But the young man in your charge?"

"That would be Mr. Davis." nodded Reiley. "And mind you young lady, he is far from the upstart I led your Mr. Haggard to believe.... Is there something you wish me to tell Mr. Davis?"

"Girl, where are you?!" Bellowed the tapster Haggarty from the kitchen.

"I must go.." Insisted the young girl. "But perhaps I will see Mr. Davis again?"

"I'm sure of it young lady." insisted Reiley, as the young girl smiled and hurried away.

sig2.jpg

“Un hombre. ¡Uno!” Capitán Ulises roared, a bright red anger flaring beneath his dark features.

The crewman cringed as shattered glass rained down on the plank floor around him. The captain’s booming voice made his already injured head throb. Dried blood clumped in his dark hair. He swayed unsteadily on his feet, the excruciating pain nearly knocking him over. He regretted not running the cursed woman through when he had the chance. Now he was forced to face the wrath of his captain, a fate worse than death even without a raging headache.

“¡Sales!” Ulises demanded grabbing the crewman by his collar and shoving him out the heavy door.

Ulises stormed back across the cabin stopping at the oversized desk. A callused fist pounded the wooden top, rattling a glowing oil lamp. He cursed his worthless men, unable to do a simple task. How could four armed men fail to capture one worthless drunk? Their mishap could easily draw unwanted attention and disrupt his plans. Most of all he cursed Captain Striker. The Dane had managed to turn Ulises entire life upside-down in a matter of months. La Maligna had fallen into his hands by sheer luck; there was no other explanation Ulises would accept. Retrieving her would take more than luck. Ulises knew he had both the skill and determination to accomplish the task, if his crew could manage to avoid any further mistakes.

Circling the heavy desk, Ulises slid open the single drawer and removed a delicately inlaid box. The shining metal latch lifted with ease. Inside the rich wool interior cradled an ornate pistol. His fingers ran affectionately over the tangled engravings encircling the handle. It had been Hernan’s favorite piece, commissioned especially for him by their father. Ulises had vowed the day he heard of his brother’s death that his killer’s end would come from that pistol. His jaw set in an attempt to control the fury that burned in him. The slightest touch of anger glow behind his dark eyes. When he was finally through with Striker, the dog would beg for a quick end, a consideration his poor brother was never allowed. Effortlessly, Ulises sat back in his stiff chair, the weapon cradled in his palms, considering his next move.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

As the day wore on, the brothers had broken their morning fast and ranged about, finding a well at the back of a home/tinsmiths shop and dumped the bag of silver there. Trying to lay low was a difficult thing for the young men, as they were rather tall and, twins to boot. As they ranged down one of the many back streets a woman who was tarted up leaned out a window and called to them, offering a good time. They stopped, grinned at the proposition and looked up at the woman. Liam spoke, "Where's yer door? An is there more than jus you up der?" She drew back into the window and a moment later there were three women looking down at them. Their grins got wider. "Ian, I tink we found a way ta pass th time til dark. What sez ye?" "Aye Liam. . . . Aye." The woman pointed to the door and they entered, headed up the stairs to find the whores with witch their time would be spent.

Titim gan éirí ort.

Go mbeire an diabhal leis thú

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

It was then Lilly could not swallow any more of Lady Tess’ insufferable conduct.  “You Lady are no Lady!”  And with that, Lilly raised her hand and slapped her upon the cheek.

The strike to Lady Tess’ cheek was unexpected. She quickly recovered from the blow and winced from the pain as she touched the now crimson cheek. “You are a fool, Mistress McKinney. Do you think that Captain will ever love a creature such as you?” Lilly’s face suddenly reacted to the words she shouted forth. It was less than a day now that she had fallen out of favor with her beloved Captain, only to be replaced by a younger and more desirable creature. Tess looked back at Lilly and began to speak with heated tones, which were now elevated to a stern shout. "What the Captain sees in you, God only knows! He wastes his time on the likes of you while he could be conversing with a better lot!"

“What?! And have him marry the likes of you?” Lilly said shouting back. “Oh yes, I know that the two of you were betroved in your younger years to each other. I also know that it was Lord William Sterling’s idea to marry the both of you off to one another, not Captain Sterling’s. It would have made such a pretty situation of title and property…if you do not mind being treated like chattel!” Tess’s eyes now flared with hate. Lilly continued her bombardment of insults. “Knowing how Captain Sterling felt about his father, he would have done anything to go against his father’s plans. You were just unlucky enough to get in the middle of things, weren’t you?”

Tess finally took a deep breath to calm herself and her tone now switched back to the low tone of treachery that she was so well known for. “Yes, it is true that Captain Sterling called off our arrangement, but that doesn’t change how my heart feels now, does it?” Tess walked towards the window and then looked down to the small street below.

It was then Tess released the very secret that Mistress Lilly kept so dear. “I have seen your son.” Lilly’s whole body went cold with fear. “My son? What do you..." Lilly muttered in a state of panic.

“Do not deny it, Mistress. He is beautiful.” Tess said turning towards Lilly as she stood there in mild shock.” Lilly quickly reclaimed her composure. “He is Captain Sterling’s son, he is bound to beautiful.” It was then Tess stepped forward and narrowed her eyes as she approached Lilly. “He can father a healthy bastard with some easy slut as freely as breathing, yet it is I who should have been his wife and mother to his children…and by fates hand, I cannot give him what he deserves most in life….” Tess’ face soon went soft and if she was giving confession. Lilly still standing on her guard only to reply the obvious. “God’s will be done.” Smiling slightly at the reply plunging the verbal dagger deeper.

It was Tess’ next reaction that Mistress Lilly was not expecting. Tess looked back at her and in a soft voice replied. “What did you do to deserve such a sign of grace? The child should have been mine.”

It was then the room went silent as the women just looked at each other with contempt.

There was much history between the two ladies and Captain Sterling. Lilly knew that whatever Lady St. Claire was conjuring up in that pretty little head of hers, it would mean that Lilly would remain a constant state of concern as long as she was in Port Royal. Lilly looked back at Tess for a moment. “What is Lord Darnly’s request?”

“Finally” Tess said in an exasperated whisper. “I am happy that you have come to your senses. He only wishes the best for you and the baby. Don’t you see that?”

Lilly quickly looked back at Tess. “I do not think living with that creature is for the best; myself nor for my boy.”

Tess stood quickly. Looking down at Lilly she issued her demand. “Let me suggest that you listen closely to what I have to say; if you do not do as you are told you’ll never see your baby again. I assure you that Lord Darnly will make this possible! Find yourself upon the next ship out of Port Royal and make your way back to London as fast as you can. Fall upon the mercy of Lord Darnly…and maybe…just maybe you’ll be able to hold your babe again.” With that Tess looked at Lilly with her cold eyes and left the small room at the inn.

Lilly stood motionless in her room for a moment as she heard the footsteps drift down the hallway to the stairs. It was then Lilly started to cry.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Rotund storm clouds filled the sky, blocking the afternoon sun. Soft rain washed over the decks of La Alma. A bright circle of lamp light fell onto the dark wood desk lighting the slip of cream parchment. Capitán Ulises bent over the smooth page, the furrows in his brow illuminated by the flickering lamp light.

Señora Isabel de Ulises

Plaza San Felipe Neri

Cadiz España

Querida Isabel,

My darling esposa, how many months has it been? I lament these leagues of sea that keep us apart. I fear I will not recognize your beautiful face when we next meet. After many months of following La Maligna, the quarry is finally near. Pray to the blessed Madre for our continued good fortune in returning her to the crown.

The soft scratching of quill and ink slowed to a stop. Ulises sat up from the letter, a bright flash of understanding in his dark eyes.

Ulises had made the mistake of underestimating Striker twice now; once at sea and most recently on land. It was a mistake he would not make again. He needed to know more about his adversary, every last detail from when he woke, when he slept and every second in-between. The more he could learn about La Maligna’s erstwhile captain, the easier his final task would be. Most importantly Ulises needed to know Striker’s weaknesses. The Capitán knew well that each man had a fatal fault that could be used against him. Ulises thought back to his darling wife, round with the life of another child when he left Spain. Indeed, every man had a weakness. If Ulises could find Strikers he would be sure to use it to full advantage.

“Alvero! Ven aqui”

“¿Sí Capitán?” the young officer’s dark head peered through a slim crack in the sturdy cabin door at the summon.

“I believe we will get to know our Danish amigo mas major. Have Senors Martin and Luis prepare the boat.” A bone chilling smile curled the corners of Ulises face as the order was relayed.

"Poor choice..."

As assailant's body hit lane surface, Childermass glanced to Sterling momentarily before turning to retrace his steps.

Sterling stared at the body at Childermass's feet until the other man turned and spoke.

"Mayhaps ye should be followin' me back to the Bookseller's..."

"Damnation!" Sterling muttered, then thought it best to hold his tongue. Did everyone in Port Royal think him a helpless child or worse a complete fool?

He sheathed his weapon then rubbed his eyes with his good hand.

"Are ye all right?" Childermass called back at him.

Sterling shook his head as he fell into step several paces behind his rescuer. "No," he answered.

"What tis it then?" Childermass asked, not even bothering to look behind him.

"I do not know," Sterling said.

For a second Childermass thought perhaps he should turn back and see what could possibly be amiss. The man's wounds were certainly healing well enough and yet were still in a very dangerous state... had he not himself, prescribed rest? It was clearly evident he had been ignored by both when he had given instruction. So, instead he chose to wait and continued walking. He had a hunch... and sure enough...

"Tell me about Aurore," he heard Sterling call after him. "Please..."

Childermass turned then and looked the captain once over. Throughly soaked to the bone from dripping hat feathers to muddied buckled shoes, Childermass never thought to see again, someone who looked as lost as he surely felt.

The gears of strategic calculation and weighing of odds turned with slow, smooth percision withing the borders of Childermass' mind. These were the gifts with which Seth had survived nation against nation confrontations of such numerous tally that the names and places had long ago become a blur. So ingrained to nature, that it was applied to any given situation that Life decided to offer up. In his thinkings, why tamper or adjust anything that seemed to fit the need in any square.

Turning away, he gave no more than motion to follow, then threaded through a series of turns to end at a back entrance to simple structure. A

narrow stairway lead upward in the dim, rough conversations drifting back from unseen Common Room beyond where they stood. Childermass glanced once at Sterling, the first acknowlegemnt given since query had been purveyed, then he moved up into the semi-darkness to the second floor.

The aged planking of hallway surface gave creak of contempt as it was traversed, the air containing mixture of unpleasant scents so varied as to leave one confused as to defined origins. Muffled voices could beheard as doorways were passed, barely visualized in the gloom and finally, Seth's tread came to halt. Iron on iron friction reverberated shoddy corridor, then dull lumination fought the shadows and gave indication of portal existance.

Stepping into private den, Seth once more glanced to Sterling and stood back to allow entrance. Danish delight stirred at lock manipulation, a smile beginning to trek pale and youthful features, but brought to stop as the stranger entered. Door was secured, and battle marked wraith moved to the girl's side, whispering in half noted language. Nodding, she departed. Re-centering his attention on where the Englishman stood, Seth chuckled to some private amusment.

The pale sights measured guest briefly, "Tis a bit to the strange to me that ye should be asking fer information 'bout the one ye plan to join in wedlock. Tis not a blind arrangement...An one would be thinkin' that any question should be asked to Her that is involved..." The wry chuckle sounded the proximity again, "Ask yer questions....an' I will consider givin' ye answers...."

Childermass' eyes traped Sterling's own with a cold, reptillian manner.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

The pale sights measured guest briefly, "Tis a bit to the strange to me that ye should be asking fer information 'bout the one ye plan to join in wedlock. Tis not a blind arrangement...An one would be thinkin' that any question should be asked to Her that is involved..." The wry chuckle sounded the proximity again, "Ask yer questions....an' I will consider givin' ye answers...."

Childermass' eyes traped Sterling's own with a cold, reptillian manner.

Sterling automatically fell to pacing as he began to speak.

“She said something earlier today in one of the shops that now concerns me greatly when I purchased her the makings of a new gown. She said, in so many words, that she has all she needs or wants and that I did not have to make such a gift to her.

I am a simple man, I do not believe I can operate as Le Cour does in order to survive. If a sail appears upon the horizon I know to pursue, capture or turn heel and run.

I will not stand to fight a battle that I know I cannot possible win for fear of what others may think of me. I lost one ship once, and it cost me three years of my life and my health. I would die now before I would ever willingly surrender the Angel or force my crewe into the service of others.

The Archangel is a good ship. I have the best officers and crewe in the world and therefore I have what it takes in order to seek out the means to keep Mistress Devareaux well enough.. And I will do whatever it takes to try and do just that… but… I am also all too well aware that the life I have chosen can be a hard one and I cannot guarantee that I can keep her in the way to which she has grown accustomed.

Tis not a blind match between Mistress Devareaux and myself as you have stated. It would be all well and good to say that our future together will be everything that she has ever hoped for. But I have been married before, and I have had my share of other relationships, so I am all too well aware that the first throes of love can be very deceiving.

Irregardless of whether it be her nature or her upbringing that has made her to hide her feelings, I cannot read Aurore. So I do not know if she could ever understand the life I have asked her to take upon herself.

She is young….She is content with my lot at the moment, but I fear now, that in the long run, when life sets in, I may not be able to make her happy.”

He stopped and looked at the other man. “Do you think she is aware of what I have asked of her, when I asked her to be my wife? Do you think she has any idea of the risks she may have to face?”

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

A shadowed figure slipped into The Cheshire Cheese Tavern as the rain filled sky faded to evening. The sordid establishment was already teeming with drunken sailors and accompanying woman. A raucous group of musicians filled the room with the sound of fiddles and bawdy songs. Capitán Ulises sat at a dimly lit corner table, eyeing the unruly crowd. His dark wool coat hung open, revealing a sturdy sword and well fired pistol. The shadowed figure caught his eye, a slight nod exchanged between them. The older man slid quietly through the throng to the Capitán’s side.

“¿Lo hizo?” the voice was nothing more than a rough whisper over the interior din.

“Sí Capitán” the confirmation came, a satisfied nod tipping Ulises head again before the other man disappeared from the tavern.

A round brunette woman drifted over to the table, a cheerful smile on her round mouth. She was sent away with a gesture. Ulises had more important things to worry about than the simple pleasures of a nubile girl tonight. Word spread quickly in a city like Port Royal, especially when accompanied by the offer of coin. It would be only a matter of time before the information he sought would find him.

“So I’m to be scolded again?” Winced young Mr. Davis, as he listened to Reiley’s instructions.

“You will if you hope to learn the intelligence I've collected concerning a certain dark-haired beauty….?” coaxed Reiley.

Pausing for a moment, Davis grinned and picked up the additional luggage Mistress McKinney had left in the carriage and hurried down the hall.

“Mistress McKinney!” Yelled Davis, as he kicked the door several times. “Your luggage! Your valuables! Please open the door, I don’t think I can hold them for much longer!”

Tis not a blind match between Mistress Devareaux and myself as you have stated. It would be all well and good to say that our future together will be everything that she has ever hoped for. But I have been married before, and I have had my share of other relationships, so I am all too well aware that the first throes of love can be very deceiving.

Irregardless of whether it be her nature or her upbringing that has made her to hide her feelings, I cannot read Aurore. So I do not know if she could ever understand the life I have asked her to take upon herself.

She is young….She is content with my lot at the moment, but I fear now, that in the long run, when life sets in, I may not be able to make her happy.”

He stopped and looked at the other man. “Do you think she is aware of what I have asked of her, when I asked her to be my wife? Do you think she has any idea of the risks she may have to face?”

Childermass tracked Sterling's pace of two and fro, saying nothing; allowing for the other man to vent concerns and wondering just how little it was that had preceived. As the other ceased planking abuse, Seth cocked his head minutely to the right, expression mantled in some scarred form of irony and unspoken mirth.

"Captain, I do no' think ye have a full understandin' of Le Cour and its' gov'nors. Ye are a perceptive gent....But, ye may be missin' the forest fer the trees, eh?"

The wry chuckled sounded again, bouncing the dim boundries of utilitarian surround.

"Don' be fooled by appearences...well crafted illussions....Mayhaps it is nothin' more than cultural misunderstandin's. If Sabastian allowed tha' this should take place, then I could be one to assure tha' he did so wi'out any risk to 'is sister. If ye won 'is approval....then there be reason for it...."

The pale sights regarded Sterling closely in the dim near silence, as if guaging the other's soul.

"They live fer the day, Captain...They are no' ones to give in to assumptions of comfort, nor the expectations of the same. Ye have to be lookin' deeper than the polish an' refinements. I can be one to assure tha' they are ones to roll wit' every change an' be landin' on their feet like any cat. Ye would have to be understandin' wha' they are an' wha' they have endured...Tis no' an enviable past....."

Seth paused to consider then glanced to footsteps sounding beyond closed door.

"Ye are in a position coveted by the ranks of Le Cour...There be many a man tha' would near kill to be in yer place."

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Jane was about to follow Ioan out the door when Striker commented on her trustworthiness. The compliment halted her in mid step. She had only known the gentleman for a few hours and yet knowing he trusted her sparked pride she hadn’t felt in many months. She glanced to the captain with a soft smile. Even in little more than a simple shirt, propped amongst rumpled bed linens, he had an air of authority about him.

Wordlessly she turned, drawing one of the sturdy chairs over to Striker's bedside. She offered the seat to the messenger with a gesture. She then focused her attention on ensuring each man had a full mug of the available wine. Satisfied that basic hospitality was taken care of, Jane stepped back from the men, hands clasped demurely behind her back. She didn’t want to seem interested in the ensuing conversation, even though curiosity ate at her. She found herself channeling her mother’s placid expression. Eyes down, hands still, to every man ye give good will; she could almost hear her mother’s familiar refrain. Inwardly, she focused on every word exchanged.

Robert's thanked Striker's companion for her hospitality, offering a wink and comment in rich brogue. It took not keen observation to note that the Captain in question was in some manner of restrictive constitution. Sean gave veiled survey while sampling from proffered libation, although from a fishing village, and quite accustomed to the ways of sea vessels, he wished to lay this errand quickly to rest; not careing overmuch, for the containment now faced.

Balancing wine container on one knee with loose grip, mischievous eyes centered on Striker, "Captain, tis been me intructin' to relay the wants o' the gentleman wit' which ye have enquired to. In fairness to all involved, tis Captain Sterling's desire to meet on neutral ground...." Sean cocked a brow slightly. "In light o' current happnin's I am sure ye might be in an understandin' accord to the likes."

A sample of rouge was taken, "Tis the Captain's want to be meetin' on'na docks, then retirin' to near tavern fer privacy. He be assurin' o' no shannanies an' be apologizin' fer any inconviences to yerself an' yers."

Sterling stood quietly, listening to what Childermass had to say. He chewed over his words a moment longer before he fixed sights with the other man.

"I must confess I know little of their ways... a brief enounter once in Africa, and a different tribe as well, so I do not wish to make discernments based on what little I have knowledge of.

I can say that I do indeed love this girl, and thus, I do not wish to be any cause of harm to her. It pains me that some day I may have to take her from those she loves so dearly... And do I wish, for selfish means, to press her into something that will shatter like fragile glass, if one were to think she would only be made miserable by a hard life. I want to make things right by her and give her my best. I do not plan to live a wretched life, but then again, no one does, do they? I know well the gamble she takes, as does anyone willing to give their heart into the keeping of another. I shall mind yer words, sir, and keep them well in rememberance and press on with the course I have set. I thank ye and I also thank you for yer assistance before..."

He took a step closer to Childermass and held out his hand.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/