Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

His hand withdrew from coat hidding and within its grasp hung a legnth of brightly colored silk. Sabastian proffered cloth to Sterling with a knowing wink, "There may come a time when that may be of service to you, ami. Now, is there anything that I might be of service to you further?"

Sterling looked at the fine piece of silk. He leaned forward slightly and took it when it was offered. Yet, for the life of him, he did not know what to make of it. ''A, beggin yer pardon, Monsieur Devareaux, but ye could be helping me out here a bit further. What might I be doing with this grand scarf?"

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beggar Prince chortled at Sterling's confusion good naturedly, " Think to your more Southerly cousins, monsieur...."

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Ioan looked at the stranger a moment, then laughed. "God's teeth, man, it's more than my life is worth right now to listen to anything you've got to say."

With a quick shout, Africa and Jimmy were in the hold, blocking the man's retreat.

"Who's dat?" Africa's deep voice penitrated the darkness, cutlass in hand. 'What's he doing on our ship?"

"Just visiting, I'd say," Ioan replied, removing the man's knife from his hand. "Call the Captain."

Jimmy dissapeared, to returen shortly with the Captain."

"What have we here?" Ransom asked, inspecting the visitor. "Looking for someone, were you?"

Ioan smirked. "Said he had a proposition for me."

Ransom faced the intruder. "And just what would that proposition be, if you don't mind my asking? Make it quick. I'm not known for my patience." To enforce this statement, Ransom held a rapier point at the intruder's throat.

With a grin, Ioan said to the guest, "Better tell her all, mate. Trust me, she'll slit your throat if you don't."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

“Well, I see… I do apologize for the intrusion, but I was trying to retrieve my prize.” I replied.

“You see, I was afraid that you saw me on the boat, rowing mister Killingsworth out to that spit of land. I had tied him up there to the tree. Only to come back and retrieve him when I had found a certain person.”

"I guess you had found him there before I had a chance to locate the potential buyer."

“I just knew someone would come for him.” I said as I stepped around the blade.

“Well that person happens to be a, Tess Sr. Claire. You may know her, or not.”

“But I have heard she is wealthy, and that chap there,” I said pointing to the room nearby, “would be worth a pretty penny.”

Beggar Prince chortled at Sterling's confusion good naturedly, " Think to your more Southerly cousins, monsieur...."

Sterling looked to the man at his side, understanding slowly taking hold and then he smiled as well... until a certain chill over took him as he looked at the item in his grasp. He watched his fingers as he traced along the hem, then looked again at Sabastain.

"Forgive my askin, but were ye to give this to Mistress Shea?" he asked.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

"Mr. Davis, whispered Reiley, as he watched the mistress walk to the window. "be so kind as to go empty the captains chamber pot."

The look on the lad's face was less than enthusiastic. However the task was far from a punishment.

"I realize there are servants to do just that," offered Reiley, in an attempt not to seem a bully. "I need to learn of the captain's disposition. I woud also consider it a personal favor. Right."

"Right sir!" perked Davis. "Tis nothing I havn't done a'fore."

But as Davis left the kitchen, he noticed the youngman pause and give a somewhat lopsided smile looking from the good mistress to himself.

"What was that for?" Thought Reiley, as he began to prepare another physic for the good captain.

But as he continued to crush the Jesuit's Bark in the small wooden mortar, he couldn't help but continually look to ensure the good mistresses well-being.

"Keep to your work boy-o" He heard the voice of ol' Grady Lords saying. "There's nothing but trouble at that window..."

"Perhaps?" Thought Reiley. "Perhaps....."

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Furious at the man's presence on the Rakehell, I glared at the newcomer, but spoke to the men of my crew. "How did this man get on board? Who the blazes was on watch?"

Africa rolled his eyes. "T"were Goose's turn on watch, Captain."

"That figures. I'll boil him alive in his own stew pot for this. Where is he?" All the while I kept my rapier pointed at the stranger.

Jimmy laughed. "He's hidin', I'll bet. Don't want no steel threw his gizzard."

"Then find the idiot and post a better guard. Anyone else tries to board, unless he's wearing a uniform, shoot them."

Lauging still, Jimmy went back up on deck to look for the haples cook.

I turned my attention to the intruder. There was no way anyone should know Killingsworth was on the Rakehell. The boat with the grim reaper was long gone by the time we got there. We'd pucked Killingsworth off that island at dawn, delivered him below and stowed him in a hammock. No one had been on shore since, so there was no possiblity gossip could have betrayed us. I had never heard of a Tess St. Clair. So, what did this man really want, and why did he feel he had to sneek aboard and make a propositions to Ioan, of all people? I had my own plans for the fop. They did not include this stranger, no matter what story he'd concocted.

I shot a fierce glare at Ioan. "You know this man?"

Ioan shook his head. "Never seen him before in my life."

I looked back at the stranger. What game was he playing? Whatever it was, two could play. I decided to see how well the man could dance. I stepped closer and gave him a sweetly sardonic smile. "Killingsworth? Never heard of him."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

“Have you been on shore lately?” “The rumor has been all over town. This Killingsworth has been supposed to have killed a maid and shot another capt’n.”

“Blast.” I thought to myself. She’s not going for it. I had heard that someone saw a boat loading a body on to a ship. I deduced that it was probably this ship. It was a rough guess at best. Now I wasn’t so sure. Gathering my wits so as not to show my ture emotions.

“I’ve found out that this Tess woman is looking for this man. She’s quite wealthy. I bet she would pay handsomely for his return.”

We awake in a barn the next morning, our heads still foggy from the night of drink in that dirty little shanty pub. But it wasn't our money we spent, but that of a dead man's. "Time ta find our breakfast, brudder." "Aye, steal it or buy it?" I hold up the pouch and shake it, there's still some coins left. "We can buy it, I'm still foggy from th drink ta steal right now." He laughs at me and I punch him in the arm, he still laughs and gets up rubbing his shoulder where I hit him. After a short time we're both up and out of the barn, heading into the town called Port Royal, looking for a meal, and maybe a meal ticket.

Titim gan éirí ort.

Go mbeire an diabhal leis thú

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

“I’ve found out that this Tess woman is looking for this man. She’s quite wealthy. I bet she would pay handsomely for his return.”

Inwardly, I smiled. I bet she would. I'll bet a lot of people would pay to know where Mr. Killingsworth was at this moment. Hell, the Governor might even offer a heafty reward for his capture. Whatever money there was to be gained, sharing it was not part of my plan. But, this fellow might be useful. No need to put his back up.

"Assuming I do hear of where this...Killingsworth, was it...is located, where might I reach you? We could certainly talk business then."

My major concern at the moment was getting the said Killingsworth some medical attention. He'd be raving with fever soon, and that brand looked ugly. And since the soldiers were no doubt still on the lookout for him, I'd have to hunt up someone secretly, which led me to think of Prof. Trilby and his anatomy charts. This situation did not lend time to deal with an unknown bargainer.

I lowered my rapier from the man's chest. "At what house or tavern do you stay?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

“Whew.” I thought, ”I might just get out of this one after all.”

Addressing the Capt’n, “Well I believe I’ll be at the Fox and Bull should anything arise.”

“You may leave any correspondence under the name Jack Roberts.”

I turned to Africa. "See Mr. Roberts off the Rakehell.

When the two men had gone, I turned burning eyes to Ioan. "In my cabin. Now!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Sterling looked to the man at his side, understanding slowly taking hold and then he smiled as well... until a certain chill over took him as he looked at the item in his grasp. He watched his fingers as he traced along the hem, then looked again at Sabastain.

"Forgive my askin, but were ye to give this to Mistress Shea?" he asked.

Sabastian offered a sad hint of smile, "I had thought to do so...But it is too late for such now. Instead she lay sleeping adorned in silk and pearls and I will sorely miss her."

Gitan straightened posturing with fluid shift and laughed at some private musing, " Dear Mol would have thought it just another pretty bauble, I am sure."

A glance was cast to decanter then back to Sterling, "Now Capitaine, you will forgive me if I beg your pardon, but I am in need of food. If you are hungry, I will be most willing to have something sent up."

The familliar smirk played wolfish features as he turned for the door then paused, " Should I assume that the doctor belonging to waiting carriage below shall be staying for mid-day meal, as well?"

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

She sat outside The Ship Inn and took her coffee. She watched the crowds mingle back in forth as the day progressed. Still mulling around in her mind was the urgency of obtaining the whereabouts of Reginald Killingsworth. Time was an issue for her. She did not like being away from home too long. There were matters that she had to attend to with her father and others. She missed the sights and sounds of covenant garden. Yes, she was no stranger to that place, or the carrying-ons that occurred there. She could always find a game of cards with those willing to be parted from their money. She got the ‘sickness’ for the game three years ago and got the reputation in for it too. All was going well until one night she ran out of time…and money. She had pushed her luck too far that night. The stakes were high. The bid was against a well known suitor from the French court. Unfortunately, she wasn’t concentrating on the game very well. Perhaps it was too much wine, tobacco or mayhap, the seductive promises of the French suitor. She lost everything…money, vouchers for her small sums, and her womanly ‘virtue’. Now, she planned to pay off her debtors with the money she would get from doing this odd ‘task’ for Lord Darnly. He was willing to pay more than enough for her time and service. She had many talents and Lord Darnly was certain that she could carry off his request.

She looked up from her bowl to see two young men walking down the back ally. Both were fair in age and in color. Though, they both could do with a hot meal and perhaps a stock of new clothes. She watched as the two bickered with each other, heavy tone of their accents sounded Gaelic. She pursed her lips for a moment and with narrow eyes she pondered a plan.

Well at least I made off with my hide. I’m not sure if that capt’n has this Killingsworth, but maybe I can throw St. Claire in the mix and see.

I run back to the Fox and Bull and grab my best coat. It a maroon color and made of silk. Some thing I aquired a few months back. Maybe I can try to look presentable. A quick shave and a check of my tricorn and I’m off.

As I walk towards the way of the Shipp, and breeze through the door. I spot her, drinking her coffee and peering out the window.

“Good morning. Ms. Tess St Claire” I said as I strolled up, with a low bow.

“I may have some information for you, If you're willing to listen my lady.”

Tess places down her bowl of coffee. “You are quite bold and presumptuous in addressing your betters in such a fashion!” "I am a Lady...and will be addressed as such!" She barked at him. Here eyes narrowed a bit as she waited for his apologies. “You know who I am? ‘Tis very odd, I do not remember you nor your face. Do you work here at the Inn? If so, know your place and address me properly!” She turned back to her attentions of the two men in the alley. “What’s your name, boy?”

The dark damp stench of the hole stirred Killingworth to wake in a start. His eyes now tried to focus on the darkness. With the light swaying of haul, he knew that he was aboard a sailing vessel. Thought, he was no longer shackled to trees, he was tired down to a small bed in which he laid. He felt his body react as he tried to move. Again, the sharp pain in his chest shock through him like a knife; and he was terribly cold. He exerted a low moan as he tried to find his voice. There, in the darkness as a small figure watching him. “You….there.” He said. His voice lost to lack of water. “Where..where am I?” The figure came forward, still consumed by shadows; he could barely make out the figure in front of him. It was then the figure held up a cup to Killingsworth’s lips and made him take a drink. It was a welcome gift. “My body…my heart…” Again Killingsworth whispered. “I am in so much pain. Have you a cutter upon this ship?”

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Allow me to be frank at the commencement; You will not like me...™

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

Ioan followed Ransom to her cabin. He knew what was coming. She would either throw him off the ship, or render some form fof punishment. Neither prospect boded well for his plans.

When the door was shut, she turned on him like a fury. "Do you, or do you not value your position on this ship?"

"Depends on what my position is," he said, suddenly in a mood for a fight.

"As of this moment, you don't have one. I don't abide crew members who cross me. We gave you safe passge from Charles Town. You proved yourself an able seaman. You have shared in what little bounty we have collected. What, exactly is your gripe?"

"This ship has taken nothing worth selling for months. But for the gunpowder and shot we took from the Mariah, we'd have nothing. Your attempt to bribe Morgan has failed. The cannon sits in a stable collecting dust. We're on short rations and watered rum, not to mention harboring a killer in the hold. How long are we supposed to wait for the Rakehell to make us some shiny?"

She shrugged, which infuriated him. "You don't like it here, your free to leave. There are plenty of ships in the harbor. Sign with one of them. To be honest, I'd just as soon be rid of you, rather than have to keep watching my back."

"If I leave, your back still won't be safe."

She turned, her blue eyes blazing like saphires. "Is that a threat?"

"Concider it a warning." He hated that he could not goad her. No matter what he did, she refused to rant, or beg him to change his mind. And maybe, he thought, that was the crux of it. He held no sway over her at all. If he droped dead this moment, she would do no more than have his carcass thrown over the side.

"I don't have time for your theatrics," she said. "Cross me again, and I'll gut you where you stand."

"So, you can't bear to part with me after all." He smiled, thinking he may have won this round.

His satisfaction was short-lived. "Don't leave the ship. If you attempt to go ashore, I will tell the crew to shoot you. Now, get out of my cabin."

Stunned at the turn of events, Ioan's dark eyes flared, then he turned and left the cabin. As he returned to the deck, he swore there would be a reconing. Oh yes, he thought, there would be a reconing.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

My mind raced for the proper response. I bowed forward and paused. “I can slay men in battle but this woman can stop me dead in my tracks?” I thought, resisting the urge to just murder her right there.

“My deepest apologies, my lady."

"I'm a, errr, a sailor.” Returning upright careful not to meet her eyes.

“My name is Jack Roberts." Trying to remember what I have seen others do when in the presence of such a class.

"I heard your call yesterday down by the docks."

After Ioan had gone, I barely resisted the urge to throw something at the door. I wanted him off my ship, but knew he'd cause more trouble ashore than if confined on board. I was surprized that he hadn't left on his own when I made the offer. That he didn't told me there were still nasty plans brewing in that Welsh brain, and that I had better watch my step.

I put my anger at Ioan aside and went below to check on the invalid.

Goose stood by the hammock, a cup of water in his hand. "He been mumblin's a bit, Captain, but ain't said nuthin' a man could make sense of."

Killingsworth looked like something found on a battle field. His body was bruised and bloody, and blood matted his short hair where the Reaper had clubbed him. But it was the brand that made me clench my jaw. Blistered, blackened, and raw, the crude outline of a bird stood out stark against his pale skin. Large enough to have branded a horse, it seemed to cover half his chest. I could not imagine having to wear a mark such as that for the rest of my life.

"Keep him as comfortable as you can. Try to get him to drink at little when he wakes. I'm going to fetch someone who may be able to help him."

Goose gestured toward the brand. "That's a powerful cruel thing to do to a body."

"Yes, but then, Mr. Killingsworth was a cruel man. Fate has a way of paying us our due."

"Still and all." Goose shrugged. "It's goin' ta be a foul blow when he's got his senses back and sees as what has been done to him."

"We'll worry about that when the time comes. Right now, my main concern is keeping him alive. Watch him. Don't let him thrash about or fall out of the hammock. I'll be back as soon as I can."

Goose nodded, and I returned to the deck. Ioan, standing by the foremast, cast me a black look, but I ignored him, and motioned for Africa to join me. "I'm going ashore to fetch a doctor for the prisoner. Don't let Ioan leave the ship. If he tries, you have my permission to put a ball between his eyes."

Africa grinned. "Aye, Captain. But mehbe better ta put a blade between dos ribs, and keep it quiet like. Dat way, no one notice he gone."

"Pistol or blade, just make sure he's dead." Then I turned, climbed down the side, and headed for the house of Professor Angus Trilby, wondering how I was going to talk him into saving a man he wished was already dead.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Watching the woman yell at this person was quite entertaining for us. While we were still in the cups from last night, her yelling did nothing to help our current situation.

"Bloody 'ell. Wouldya quits th' yellin' fer fek's sake." Covering my ears my brother elbows me in the side as for my choice of words.

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

A glance was cast to decanter then back to Sterling, "Now Capitaine, you will forgive me if I beg your pardon, but I am in need of food. If you are hungry, I will be most willing to have something sent up."

The familliar smirk played wolfish features as he turned for the door then paused, " Should I assume that the doctor belonging to waiting carriage below shall be staying for mid-day meal, as well?"

Sterling looked at his host.

"Carriage? Oh my word, Mistress McKinney, the actress, is down below. She wishes to have a word with me. I was just waiting for Mistress Devareaux to chose someone to sit with me as Mistress McKinney and I spoke. Your sister seemed a tad uncomfortable with the entire event."

Crewe of the Archangel

So far the search for Killingsworth had let to nothing more then a wild goose chase .Striker visited both Marshallsea and Bridewell prison, and the bribes he had to pay neared 50 Gold Crowns. Not to mention the danger of even trying to bribe the soldiers and prison keepers.

It was in near impossible for Striker to imagine a man as Killingsworth being able to hide for long , even in Port Royal . But fact was that he had eluted everybody so far.

The rumours were that Killingsworth were taken captive and imprisoned for the failed assassination of a Captain . But as shown it was to be inaccurate .

Striker had no ideas left of how to get back on the trail , it was as if Killingsworth had been swallowed whole by the evil and decadence that was manifested in the town .

"The devil is still at large " he said to himself walking by merchant stalls and the masive flood of people buying or trading trinkets and food , everything a heart or stomach might desire .

His mind started to flow in a different direction from the noises from the crowded street.

"There must be a way to lore him out of his hidding" he began to think back on the day Molly was killed , if he had known that it was Killingsworth that ran up the stairs everything would have been different . The captain would not have been shot , and if Striker would have know earlier then that even the poor lass would be alive and well.

As Striker's mind wandered in all directions , his walk ended to the point of origin of Killingsworth's demise in Port Royal. The tavern. Near the entrance there stood a man clad in a second hand silk coat , which had seen better days long ago , addressing a sitting woman , while making feeble gestures and movements. The woman was, dressed in the latest French fashion as Striker could see , seemed to be talking down to the man in a arrogant tone.

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Sterling looked at his host.

"Carriage? Oh my word, Mistress McKinney, the actress, is down below. She wishes to have a word with me. I was just waiting for Mistress Devareaux to chose someone to sit with me as Mistress McKinney and I spoke. Your sister seemed a tad uncomfortable with the entire event."

Sabastian opened his mouth to speak, then closed it with a tierd head shake of incredulous negation. Thinking back to first glimpes of the parties involve at Three Crownes encompassment; and Aurore's secrective motivations induced by curiosity in suite, he was quite in tune with what notions might be rattling around sibling's head. Aurore had shown signs of snide behaviour in regard to the woman in question and that had been but a prologue to Sterling's first arrival at the cottage.

The thing that intregued him most at the moment, was why Aurore had not rebelled harshly at the Actress' second appearence. Younger sibling had been known, though not often, to display a cruel retaliation of extreme measure when inclined to do so. Sabastian was at a loss, and decided that the wisest thing to do was sit back and only step in if things reeled out of control. Temperance was Aurore's strong suite, perhaps she was testing the elasticity of said characteristic....Sabastian's sight centered on Sterling inquisitively...Or perhaps it was something more.

Beggar Prince exhaled heavily, giving in to the realization that craved rest would have to be placed secondary once more.

"If you wish, I might be of service to your needs. Aurore would be accepting of such, but I will leave the desicion to you. I can send Christophe up, if you deem that a better choice. Either or...discretion shall be adheared to. You might say that such quality is a hard set and profitable standard here abouts."

Beggar Prince exhaled heavily, giving in to the realization that craved rest would have to be placed secondary once more.

"If you wish, I might be of service to your needs. Aurore would be accepting of such, but I will leave the desicion to you. I can send Christophe up, if you deem that a better choice. Either or...discretion shall be adheared to. You might say that such quality is a hard set and profitable standard here abouts."

"Thank you, but I have given the choice up to Aurore. Whom ever she wishes to attend to the meeting will be whom I accept as well," Sterling said. "I would be honoured with either of you gentlemen," he paused for a moment, wondering if, knowing Christophe's feelings regard Aurore, if he would be a fair judge of what words passed. Still he had offered Aurore the choice and he would live by her decision. "I would be grateful if you would ask her and abide by her request as I have said I would."

Crewe of the Archangel