Under a Black Flag

Jib

Under the Black Flag: The Romance & Realities of Life Among the Pirates by David Cordingly

Was A good read for me.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Although there are those on these boards who will dispute how well researched and accurate the book actually is, I very much enjoyed it myself, and learned a lot from reading it. I even used it as one of the monographs that I had to write a reveiw on for my World History from 1450 class a couple semesters ago. (I love it when I can use pirate topics for college credit! LOL)

Worth the read, and a good book to have in yer library mate!

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

I enjoyed it, I just started re-reading it again last night. It's interesting to contrast between it and much earlier books on the subject like, "The time Life Mariners series". I'm starting a small notebook on comparisions of the books I read, it helps me learn enough to ask more questions.

I agree with Mad Jack that it is an excellent primer. Of course the General History by Johnson and Exquemillan's Buccanneers are the favored source material...it's not all that easy to jump straight into 18th century literature.

So to sum up, it is a quick and enjoyable read! :P

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

The only thing to keep in mind about Exquemelins' work is the section about Henry Morgan. Morgan sued him for libel and won. Seems Exquemelin had a bit of an axe to grind with the Welshman over money, and painted Morgan in a less than favorable light. Funny how things never really change :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?