Pirates of Mysterious Islands

Pew

To include:

Mercenaries...and...Submarines?

Other rumors:

UT - Depth Charge...this ship may fire on a submerged Sea Monster or Submarine. It receives -1 to its cannon rolls.

Mercenaries will be generic crew that can use their ability on any nationality ship.

UT/Event- Tsunami...on a role of _____ the ship and it's crew docked or had a turn ended within S of an island end up washed over the island and then are sitting within S of the other side of the island.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Submarine? Oh, dear God I hope not.

Interesting nonetheless.

Where did you hear this, m' dear PEW?

I've barely begun to enjoy Davy Jones' Curse.

I was lucky enough to get Davy Jones... this far. I've a LONG ways to go yet with this set.

~Lady B

<_<

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

WizKids Forums has been VERY active with ideas that can be played into this new set.

Very interesting ideas and good reading.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Less interested in the submarines, in all ['though a fan of Steampunk, so I won't find one or two totally remiss], but more concern that it'll water down the overall theme for those just getting into the sets [just as Junks and Galleys did - to a lesser degree - in those expansions]. That said, attempts at submarines [with some success] date back to before the Great Age of Piracy, so it's not _that_ far afield.

The Mercenaries idea will be good specifically for those just joining, since the implication is that they can work on ships of any nationality [no more the woes of finding, say, all French ships, but only Spanish crew]. Of course, locally when we do play, we just use the convention of ignoring the nationality of non-named crew [since they have the same crew for everyone, if you find 'em].

Of the greatest interest to me is what they do with the Islands... The idea of Island effects should combine well with Terrain effects to make for an interesting game, _without_ adding too many new rules-as-such to the game [since Islands should have plenty of space for the printing of their effects right on the card].

In fact, my only qualm with the run at present is the swiftly increasing number of Keyword effects that need to be looked up on the rulesheet, instead of being written out on the ship templates. So long as they don't keep adding two such to each expansion, we should be okay, but so many Collectible games fall down to the ever-expanding-rules problem. In that the rules are fairly loose, it's not as much a problem with this game, but either looking up effects for so many keywords (if you use wizkids' rules), or making up effects for so many keywords (if you don't), well.....

• 1 month later...

At least there is a reasonable time lag this time, Pirates of Davy Jones came so quick on the heels of Pirates of the South China Seas (possibly to cash in on the Dead mans Chest film,) that I found myself collecting both sets back-to-back.

Whilst a Captain Nemo, steampunk submerine is an interesting idea, I am not sure that it fits ino the feel of the PotSM game, beyond the fact that there were pirates in the Mysterioud island story.

Who saw the Sky Television Mysterious Island Minni series? with Vinnie Jones as a Pirate in the inevitable Tricorn hat, even though the series was set at the time of the American Civil War.

A poor reflection of the 1961 Ray Harryhausen Movie.

Here is what WizzKids Have so far

Pirates of the Mysterious Islands.

Tall Paul

I'm not all that thrilled about submarines in the game...although I know there were a few historical submarines in those days, it's just a little too far-fetched. Yes, Davy Jones' Curse became a bit fantastical, but at least they stuck with sea legends and sea fantasies through the ages, so that particular expansion was still a fun one. I think they're headed a bit too much into sci-fi now...just my two cents worth. B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Less interested in the submarines, in all ['though a fan of Steampunk, so I won't find one or two totally remiss],

Hi, Jack:

Ah ... "Steampunk" ... the only place I've come across that term was in descriptions of the short-lived television series "The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne". Were you a fan of that? The plots were rather shaky, but the art direction was very cool:

http://www.fanclub.sajv.net/

And I've started playing Pirates of the Spanish Main this summer and I'm really enjoying it. I started out with just 3 PotSM packs and 1 Davy Jones' Curse pack ... then added some terrain, different treasure types, crew, and rules of my own. Customizing the game has been as much fun as actually playing it.

And with so few ships in my "fleet" ... I quickly chucked the rule that crew can only work on a ship of their own nationality. So, I guess all my crew are mercenary (which is far more piratey anyway).

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Whilst a Captain Nemo, steampunk submerine is an interesting idea, I am not sure that it fits ino the feel of the PotSM game, beyond the fact that there were pirates in the Mysterious island story.

I think I shall have to add both _20,000 Leagues_ and _The Mysterious Island_ to my reading list this summer. Several years ago, I read Jules Verne's _Around the World in 80 Days_ and liked it.

Here's a site with on-line versions of all Verne's work:

http://www.online-literature.com/verne/

... but I prefer the pleasure and portability of the old-fashioned book format.

Cheers, Hester

N[ow] P[laying]: Sarah Brightman, "Captain Nemo"

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I've placed holds on both "20,000 Leagues" and "Mysterious Island" at my local library.

Plus, there are recent movie versions of both these stories on DVD (which I've ordered from Amazon). Michael Caine is Nemo in "Leagues", and Kyle MacLachlan stars in Mysterious Island.

Should be fun! And, these books/DVDs will get me in the mood for the new WizKids "Pirates" packs.

Oh, and speaking of "Steampunk" and Captain Nemo, I loved the Nautilus in the League of Extraordinary Gentleman -- even if the story was ragged and the costuming made Stuart Townsend (Dorian Grey) look a bit too staid:

leagueofextraordinarygentlemen9.jpg

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

To include:

At this rate, I'm just going to quit buying them until another year has passed. By that time they'll be up to aircraft carriers, pirates in zodiacs with AK-47s, and navy patrol craft with sonic weapons.

:ph34r:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

To include:

At this rate, I'm just going to quit buying them until another year has passed. By that time they'll be up to aircraft carriers, pirates in zodiacs with AK-47s, and navy patrol craft with sonic weapons.

B)

Yeah, I agree with you there, John. I think I won't be collecting them beyond Davy Jones' Curse. B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

"20,000 Leagues" and "Mysterious Island"... there are recent movie versions of both these stories on DVD (which I've ordered from Amazon). Michael Caine is Nemo in "Leagues", and Kyle MacLachlan stars in Mysterious Island.

They've arrived!

I can't wait to watch these ... but I won't get a chance until the weekend, when I'll be at my cottage for a month's vacation. But, I'll be sure to post reviews here at the Pub when I eventually return.

I also picked up Monty Python's "Yellowbeard" at the same time (in order to qualify for the free shipping).

Cheers, Hester ... who also has 6 unopened packs of PotSM to add to her fleet at the cottage!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg