Pew

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ These days ? Only gasoline

< Time for mutiny on a Governmental level! :lol:

V What's in your junk drawer?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

^ depends on which juck drawer ye mean, if in desk everything i have no where esle to place; if studio all teh tools i dont want to lose and misplace anywaay :lol:

< gre taken now to await desision of if am deemed worthy to grad program

V control fate or does fate control you?

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

^ Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes they catch up with me whether I want to face them or not. Fear can be a great motivator. It can be your greatest ally.

< Destiny and Fate... read this once... fits with my worldview... ymmv.

"Destiny is that which you must fulfill in this lifetime. You are born with a task. During your lifetime, you must continually strive to identify it and complete it to its last detail. This is no simple errand, mind you. It is a terribly intricate and unique enigma for each person that must be slowly brought to fruition. The issue at stake in nothing less than transcending the consequences of past lives in order to be reborn in a higher state or, better yet, to escape all together. That is destiny.

"Fate is an active agent that exists solely to deter you from fulfilling your destiny. It struggles against you, impedes your progress. Fate functions through illusion. It is responsible for mirages that lead you astray. It is temptation. It tricks you, fills your mind with grand notions and proud thoughts. Fate would like nothing better than to deter you from your goal. Whenever you think of doing wrong or playing a trick, and you become aware of yourself, you have instantly found fate. Give and fate has won. Resist and it has lost. But it will be there, tirelessly waiting to distract you once more."

V Do you believe in magic? The simple magic of the everyday world? Not grandiose magic, but common magic, like, picking up the telephone and the person you intend to call is on the other end as you pick up the phone, and that it is not just random chance?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

^ I wouldn't call it magic..it's there but it's just connection on a higher level. Like the aging or growth that go on unfelt, unseen inside your body..it's a function of you you're not conciously aware of. Not everyone has it on the same level or as frequently..but we've all been there at one time or another.

< Grey and cloudy today..a good think day

V Do you set aside time to muse?

^ I don't set aside time necessarily, but I do tend to muse at the end of the day or during time that I am alone and free to ponder anything and everything. I feel doing so puts my mind at ease, just as it does when talking to others.

< Grey and cloudy here as well, though we're expecting t-showers and *gulp* possible tornadic activity.

V Tying in to blackjohn's question just a tad, do you believe in deja vu?

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

^ which type?

Déjà vécu

Usually translated ' already seen' or 'already lived through,' déjà vécu is described in a quotation from Dickens:

“We have all some experience of a feeling, that comes over us occasionally, of what we are saying and doing having been said and done before, in a remote time – of our having been surrounded, dim ages ago, by the same faces, objects, and circumstances – of our knowing perfectly what will be said next, as if we suddenly remember it!”

Déjà senti

This phenomenon specifies something 'already felt.' Unlike the implied precognition of déjà vécu, déjà senti is primarily or even exclusively a mental happening, has no precognitive aspects, and rarely if ever remains in the afflicted person's memory afterwards.

Déjà visité

This experience is less common and involves an uncanny knowledge of a new place. The translation is "already visited." Here one may know his or her way around in a new town or landscape while at the same time knowing that this should not be possible.

In a word, yes. For instance, I KNEW exactly what flying would feel like, well before I ever flew. How? I don't know.

Can any of these be explained scientifically? Maybe. Probably. Does it means science has the correct answer? I dunno.

Just as interesting is...

Jamais vu is a term in psychology (from the French, meaning "never seen") which is used to describe any familiar situation which is not recognised by the observer.

Often described as the opposite of déjà vu, jamais vu involves a sense of eeriness and the observer's impression of seeing the situation for the first time, despite rationally knowing that he or she has been in the situation before.

Jamais vu is more commonly explained as when a person momentarily does not recognize a word, person, or place that they already know.

< Likes science... but in a way similar to religion, I find that scientists tend to cling to dogma.

V Science or mysticism or a blend?

My Home on the Web

^ I'd say a blend. Science provides me with some more rational explanations for most of lifes tangible mysteries. I dive into mysticism as well to help me understand what science may dismiss. Both raise the curiousity within me.

< blackjohn - Those types will work (what you noted). Good definitions you found there.

No rain yet...still got low clouds filling up the sky. (whew!)

V Is there a food recipe that you'd like to learn and try?

^ Indian food. But in a kitchen wit' someone who knows wot their doin'.

< Still thinkin' on blackjohn's comments 'bout fate. I always supposed the notion o' fate was attempt t' rob us of free will. As fer me, I'm still lookin' fer me destiny, I suppose.

V Go wit' the flow or fight the current?

^ Depends on which stream I'm standing in. I've done both.

< I have enough trouble getting through one day to the next, without stressing over what my fate is going to be. I try to make the right choices. Some turn out good, others not so good, but I keep slogging away. I have never thought my fate was pre-ordained, and that I couldn't change things if I wanted to.

V Do you dwell on the future, or take life day to day?

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

^ Beef Wellington, with Yorkshire pudding! For dessert would have to be English Sherry. Before the meal I would be a selection of cheese and water crackers, Cheddar, Stilton, Edam, Gouda, etc. cheeses, and a bottle of good French white wine. The a good cup of coffee with 'Bailey's Irish Cream' in it! I'd be very Fat and happy :D !

< I have the whole house to myself this weekend. It will be major chick time!

V Daydream? Tangible or intangible thoughts? :D

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

^ Ooh ooh this question is for me thanks!

Daydream deliberately at times..rather than watch tv or while driving...helps me write, or just enjoy. Both tangible and intangible

<Chick time woo! Love those nights (ocassionally) so much to do

dress in comfy's, favorite snack, drink, major chick movie.., beauty stuff, magazines...I could go on..

V What do guys do? hmmm

^ Have a "favorite scenes" film festival! Eat some bbq! Or if not that, some sort of meat... make some red beans and rice or dirty rice to go with it... flip through some books with cool pics of historical stuff... drink a Moretti La Rossa or a Guinness or some rum... find a way to eat some super dark chocolate during all of that...

< phew... just carried a 100 lb box of furniture fixin's downstair! Where's me hammer! Where's me turnscrew!

V It's the weekend! Got plans?

My Home on the Web

^ Yes indeed! Disney a few times this weekend (a possible Pirates cruise on the MK lagoon on Sunday night), as well as a final exam (run, SQL, run!), and probably a few other things. Oh, and prepping for my father's stay for a few days next week. :D

< I want the work day to END. A few of us are in non-work mode, chatting via IM and lol'ing.

V Name a hobby that you'd like to try that others may see as "out of character" for you.

^ I don't really think there is anything "out of character" for me. I'm known for having every hobby under the sun at some point.

< speaking of deja veu, I'm sick again. Ugh.

V Been healthy this winter or suffering like I am?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

^ Stopping by your house for some steaks B)

^ Taking my mother out to some antique stores tomorrow

< Weather is getting nice should get out my grill

V Gas grill, hardwood or charcoal?

May the winds of fortune sail you

May you sail a gentle sea

May it always be the other guy who says "this drinks on me"

http://www.susquehannarangers.com/

^ Gas grill and hibachi for the beach

< Marshmallow master

V Best barbeque you do?

/\ BBQ turkey. Powder it up with Cavenders greek seasoning. 20 lbs an 90 minutes later it be supper. ;)

< Settin' up the Celestron in the yard fer the eclipse.

\/ Stayin' up fer it or crappin' out?

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

^ Aye..especially in summer at the beach at night

< The moon is full tonight

V WOuld you travel to space if you could?