Pyracy and children

In the Pyrates in Paradise thread a discussion came up about Pyracy and Children.

One person said that he doesn't enjoy playing the "aaargh" entertaining kind of Pyrate, (He didn't say that he Hates children, he just will deal with them on his own terms) Other Pyrates thought this was a terrible thing. Children are our future. We gotta play along with them.. The Pyrate that doesn't enjoy the "aaaargh" entertaining bit, I'd bet if a child came up to him, and asked and intelligent question, That child would get an intelligent answer. So we all "play" slightly different.

Now I kinda fall someplace about halfway between. My girlfriend loves to give out Pyrate kisses (made by Hershey) and tattoos to the children at Faires... I don't hate children, most of them are fun. When I'm playing Pyrate, I have this kinda 10-year-old boy bit, where I like to play a "bad" pyrate, slightly scary. But I'm not so sadistic to really enjoy frightening children, more like a haunted house kinda scary. Most of the events that I go to are not reenactments, but Pyrate Themed Fairs. So there are children present. (I don't HAVE to entertain them. It's something that I choose to do)

Foxe once mentioned that he teaches children how to figure out the speed of a ship by having one kid run really fast with one end of a rope, and the others then figure out how many knots he was running. Dang great idea...

This is not a "should we do this" or "not do that". We all participate in Pyrataical activities at different places, and surroundings. So that has to be taken into account. But how do others deal/play/teach the children that show up at events?

[And as in any forum, we don't have to agree, just no name calling to those that disagree]

I learn something every day here. Knot races. Very cool. And you were not going to share this in the PiP forum?

I agree that differing events may call for differing approaches and that some just aren't disposed to play the Hollywood Pyrate. No problem. There is room for all of us on the ship.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

i wasn't casting aspersions at anyone by saying that the kids should be catered to !!! but as it is a public event there will be all kinds of people there and we as the participants have to be as cordial as possible to everyone ....and do you need to be something your not ???not at all there are lots of folks out here who don't like kids and plenty who do ...i m'self could do without the mouthy drunk adults ... who think that the event is just a place for getting drunk and being obnoxious by trying to steal your kit or start a brawl ..... so yes there is room for all types at events but there is also a place for manners as well ... let those who handle kids do their thing and those who are better with adults handle them .... but as the pyrates we are we should be going as shipmates and watch out for eachother as well

As for myself, I wouldn't be in it if not for the kids. I am an actor and entertainer, and seldom do living history or pure re-enactment events, although I have a great appreciation for the efforts of the hard core re-enactment people and what they do.

>>>>>> Cascabel

Actually, it's the parents you need to hang.

Some people just shouldn't have kids.

So, the parents should be well hung.

...come to think of it, that was probably what led to the original problem, wasn't it?

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

[And as in any forum, we don't have to agree, just no name calling to those that disagree]

This is what tripped my trigger. I will respect anyones right to chose how and what they do but I will not stand by for the sort of degrading remarks used to describe those of us who do play for and with the children. When any person starts talking down another group of people, that's when I snap into action. Time for Captain Bo to put the REAL back in reality. No one is a lower class of person because they aren't a "hardcore re-enactor", and those were the comments that got me going. That is where I stand. Period.

If it weren't for the wee ones (and their lovely Mums), a lot of the fun of Faires would be missing. :)

Oh, Phil... watch the movie "Death to Smoochie". You will love it! :lol:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

I'm still trying to find my place in the spectrum that extends from Halloween/Polyester Pyrates to stealing (borrowing without permission) the Royalist. I am leaning toward the re-enactor or living historian role, but I have bucket boots and buckle shoes. I love playing with the small kids and educating the big ones and their parents. If I run into a brat and/or it's parents I am more than happy to drop out of character and read them the riot act and I have a special tone of voice that has been known to stop large dogs cold. But that does not turn me off to all kids and makes me more appreciative of the ones that pay attention and want to learn.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Actually, it's the parents you need to hang.

Some people just shouldn't have kids.

So, the parents should be well hung.

...come to think of it, that was probably what led to the original problem, wasn't it?

LOL! True, to some point. But not with all parents. There are some kids who are just total brats, no matter how much the parents discipline. I've met a few and the parents who were ready to lose it after all they've tried. My one friend wants to either call Nanny 911 or send her little angel with tarnished wings to boot camp for brats. My aunt had such fun with my cousin, drove her up the wall! No matter what she did to make sure he behaved he did the opposite. He of course has mellowed out somewhat now since being an adult. He now has a son of his own who will be 5 this October. My aunt wishes the same treatment she got from him to now happen to him from his son-lol! They say whatever you were like as a kid your kid will be worse than that.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

LOL! True, to some point. But not with all parents. ...

...They say whatever you were like as a kid your kid will be worse than that.

No, not with all parents, and maybe I've just been lucky with Ant and Mike. But I've been out at, say, a mall, when a kid is acting like Charlie Manson on speed, and the parents just ignoring it, too many times to think that the parents are totally blameless.

Maybe it goes back to Psych101 - "did you hate your Mommy or Daddy"? I think a large part of the problems these days is that people like ME are now parents...I'm a selfish person (not ashamed to say it, either), so I'm surprised my guys are as great as they are.

Which brings me to your second comment - the fruit not falling far from the tree.

God forbid.

I was a wild child my whole life, but Ant is a gentleman and a scholar. Mike...well, OK, maybe you have a point, Christine! ;) He's too MUCH like I was...

~ Vegetius

It skips a child sometimes if you have more than one. Your first child could be the good one and then the second is hell on earth....or vice versa-lol!

But yeah, I also see many kids acting like such brats and the parents do nothing. I always want to punch out the parent when that happens-lol!

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

It skips a child sometimes if you have more than one. Your first child could be the good one and then the second is hell on earth....or vice versa-lol!

... I always want to punch out the parent when that happens-lol!

Oh, jeez...NOW she tells me!!! ;)

You should listen to your Inner Voice...it knows the Truth...it will help you...now...PUNCH THEM OUT!!! ;)

~ Vegetius

I can see the headlines now:

Alice in Wonderland look-alike decked out her neighbor. Reason? The neighbor lets her child scream constantly, all hours of the day. Alice look-alike said she just finally got fed up over this one day and let the neighbor know how she felt. The rest of the neighbors applauded, they also were tired of this kid's constant screaming.

;)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Yeah, if only we could get away with something like that...

I actually had some words with a father once at the playground (I was doing Daddy duty with Ant when he was about 4 or so). This guy's little darling was throwing rocks at the other kids, cursing, screaming...you name it, the little monster was doing it. Most of the other kids ran away, but Ant stayed there.

The other Dad and I almost came to blows when, after I asked him to please say something to his son, he replied, "Hey, kids will be kids - let 'em learn!"

<_<

~ Vegetius

Hmmmm.... and when his kid gets the snot beat out of him, I suppose he'll call that a fine learning experience?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 3 weeks later...

I went a Renn. Fair, decided to stay in the campground, and not have to worry bout driving home.....

Unfortunatly, the people two camps over, did such a good job of taking the fun outta disfuncuictional (OK... so I can't spell... you get the point)

The kids were being loud and ..... well kids.... toasting marshmellows.... but every other word from the adults was .... well ... foul (hey... don't get me wrong... I know how to swear..... just not at children)

Little kids... burning marshmellows.... and th adults yelling profanity at them.....

Dang.... wonder where children learn such things

Sorry mates been away a while busier than a one armed wall paper hanger. I'd like to chime in a bit about what this whole thread started out to do and I first want to thank alla yous who remain serious through the frivolity of gamers. The reason faires are spectacular is kids, The reason kids are spectacular (or not) is parenting. The reason the lot of us here in Pyracy started Pirates of Treasure Cove was to not be the drunken closed gate encampment of weekend warriors thinking faire is a place where we go to do what we do and its all about us and all about partying! (period) PoTC has endured some tough times already in our first year. We put this all together to promote reading. We have made some little decent looking lists of books geared for certain age groups. We printed them on one side of the tan colored paper and on the reverse tried to center a map of the caribbean. We then have hand burnt all the edges and with color coded string tied them for the specific age groups. We in (so far this season) in 19 Days at faires (we have something like 12 days more to go as well) we have passed out over 700 lists! We have had 19 new people from patrons and faires participants join our ranks. We have been asked to stay at the Koronebergh faire where we originaly were a guest guild with only three weekends and have done now 5 weekends with them, and have one more. The children love the stories and they ask lots of questions about weapons, famous pirates, pillage and plunder and we all answer with what seemingly resembles short history lessons. Now we even make hats with them, a little craft shop has come about as a result of Just John and Oh Baby Please's forsight. It has been all good. Kids, Patrons, parents, participants, members of the guild and too especially the members of the Biggins who have been way up there with support above and beyond the call of duty. I am boasting only in that as being walk in, off the street, put together without much direction guild it's "argh" pirates (most all of whom started this whole concept right here in the pub) and the kids especially is what keeps us all together. If it weren't for the kids there wouldn't be any faires. Although sometimes some are more than a handful of piss and vinegar you begin to think that if it weren't for their drunken parents they wouldn't have had any kids! huzzah :huh:

Touch somebody you don't know today with a smile.