Frog and Rapier

The UPS man came yesterday and brought me a coupla things I ordered from Amazon.com, a rapier and a frog. The rapier is very fine-looking but the frog is something of a disappointment.

The description for the frog says it has "rivets and snaps", which implies adjustability. There are no snaps, however, and when the rapier's scabbard is placed in the frog (as demonstrated in the picture), it's a very loose slip-fit that simply is not secure. Is there something I'm missing here (a user's manual, perhaps)? Suggestions as to how to successfully mate the frog and scabbard will be quite welcome.

~~Captain Bob

Hello,

as you can see in the picture on the Amazon Page (lool at the enlarged one), it's rivited. No snaps. No adjustability.

Also in the picture, the rapier (fine one indeed) hangs loose and seems just to stay in place until the photo is done.

Fixing: Take a hole punch and some rivits, make holes for a proper fit to your rapier, then rivit.

It's cheap stuff from India or Pakistan they sell all over the world...:)

Fair winds,

Jack

Morning mate...

Soeaking as a Soul that uses her weaponry on a reg basis I've found that adjustable frogs work the best for me.

For on thing, as your number of swords grow you need not buy a new frog for each blade AND... with use they become quite supple and make drawing your weapon easy though while at rest, it stays secure in the embrace of all that fine leather.

Oops, :huh: sorry for the emotional detail :lol: (chuckle) but I do LOVE me blades and their easy access!! :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

i have a couple of those frogs for my theatrical armoury and i use some leather lacing on the staps to cinch the loop to fit the scabbard with that fix the y hold quite well ....that frog will accept many different scabbards and swords .....i agree whole heartedly with bess about the adjustable type frogs!!!

:lol::huh::huh::huh:

but they are usually a bit more money .....starting at about twice the bargain price ...$35-$75 or higher depending on the detail

I was looking at a similar frog for my new cutlass, the one on the same page called the POTC cutlass. They have the same ones on ebay for $1.00 but with $40 shipping!! :lol:

I also need an adjustable frog for it, but I hope to find one here so I can make sure it fits. I have the extra problem of not being very tall, so I tend to whack everyone if the frog is set at horizontal. If any of you know of one for sale tho, let me know.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Captain Jack Russel:

I haven't any riveting tools (nor rivets), but that got me thinking...

Callenish Gunner:

...I wove some black leather shoe lace around and between the loops to tighten them.

I also wet the lace in hot water prior to weaving, so the knot which holds it in place won't come undone. The lace will tighten itself slightly as it dries. Works great, my scabbard is secure, and I've already got some ideas how to make my own. Works fer me!

Thanks, all!

~~Captain Bob

"My mind wanders, but don't worry. It's weak and can't get very far."

~~Steve Allen