The Idiot's Guide to Pirates by Gail Selinger

First let me say, I've known Gail Selinger many years. She was contacted by the people who do those 'Guides for Idiots' books.

The book is a bit of a piece-tied grouping of all sorts of things including tidbits in little boxes on the sides about things. They go by the names, like Pirate Yarns, Knowing the Ropes, Dead Men's Tales, and Treasure Chest. Each contains little bits of real information that is commonly overlooked.

It's a good all around book, but not one for really going into deep detail about things or people. However there are some real gems there, especially in the begining about early piracy in the early days of human life of the Celts, the Romans, Greeks, Vikings, and the Mediterranian area and Asian pirates, just to mention a few.

It's written in a bit of 'tounge and cheek' sort of way with some occassional funny bits.

You'll also find tidbits at the end of the chapters titled, 'The Least You Need to Know', which lists quick notes to people, places, or other things to keep knowledge of, very helpful.

The book just doesn't stop at the Golden Age of Piracy, but goes on into modern day pirates as well.

I'd also like to mention that Red Maria here at the Pub who works for the famous Huntington Library in Pasadena area helped provide info for the book. Along with Jamica Rose and Capt. MacLeod of NQG, Joan Druett (well known author) and her husband Ron have provided help with information to put into the book. Plus a host of other writers and helpers have helped out.

You'll also find pictures of Louie Lambie dressed in various outfits for pictures in the book.

All in all I recommend the book as one to have. I give it 4 skulls out of 5.