Oh This Is Good!

Fox

I've recently got hold of a book about pirates printed in 1732. At first I assumed that it was a concise edition of Johnson's General History, the chapter headings are largely the same and much of the text was oddly familiar. BUT upon comparison with my copy of Johnson I noticed lots of small differences. The text is clearly based on Johnson, but it is not the same, and there are odd extra details. As I read the book I will try to post the differences as I find them. For the meantime though, I'll share some of the ilustrations.

This book seems to be the source for some of the commonly reprinted woodcuts of pirates (such as the picture of Avery with his parasol-carrying black slave for example) and no doubt the style of the pictures will be familiar, but there are some I haven't seen before.

The book itself is entitled:

The History and Lives Of all the most Notorious PIRATES and their CREWS,

From Capt. AVERY who first settled at Madagascar, to Capt. John Gow, and James Williams, his Lieutenant, &c, who were hanged at Execution Dock, June 11, 1725, for Piracie and Murther; and afterwards hanged in Chains between Blackwall and Deptford. And in this Edition continued down to the present Year 1732.

Giving a more full and true Account than any yet Published of all their Piracies, Murthers, Maroonings, Places of Refuge and Ways of Living.

The FOURTH EDITION.

Adorned with Twenty Beautiful CUTS, being a Representation of each Pirate.

To which is prefixed, An Abstract of the Laws against Piracy.

LONDON.

Printed for Edw. Midwinter, at the Three Crowns and Looking Glass in St. Paul's Churchyard, 1732. Price 1s.

The pictures!

Anstis.JPG

Thomas Anstis

Evans.JPG

John Evans

Gow.JPG

John Gow

Low.JPG

Ned Low

Lowther.JPG

George Lowther

Martel.JPG

John Martel

Phillips.JPG

John Phillips

Spriggs.JPG

Francis Spriggs

Worley.JPG

Richard Worley

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Excellent wood cuts...

Am I to assume rightly that John Gow and George Lowther are wearing Plaid?

Looks ta be cut on the diagonal too...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Gow is indeed wearing tartan (plaid is the garment, tartan is the pattern - you yanks never seem to get that!). Gow was an Islander, hence being drawn in highland costume - whether he actually wore it at sea is another question entirely!

I don't think Lowther is in tartan, I think that's just a trick of the woodcut, perhaps just showing a weave. It must also be remembered that not every checked pattern is a tartan, and indeed that tartans can be found in places other than Scotland anyway. Lowther was not AFAIK a Scot, so there's no reason for him to be in tartan partiularly. Having said that, another earlier engraving of him shows him carrying a very Scottish looking sword (which wouldn't mean anything by itself), so maybe they knew something we don't!

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Gow is indeed wearing tartan (plaid is the garment, tartan is the pattern - you yanks never seem to get that!). Gow was an Islander, hence being drawn in highland costume - whether he actually wore it at sea is another question entirely!

I 'umbly beg yer forgiveness... My mind ain't all there... well it's less there very early in the mornin'....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org