The Watch Dog

William Brand

Mister Pew glanced at the young woman sitting in the Ward Room.

"Nah, I mean th' chirurgeons y' loon." The Quartermaster smiled and looked again to make sure the woman had not heard him.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dorian chuckled lightly.

“Ah… Well…. Cap’n Brand paid for yer care… quite handsomely… But… you c’n always show yer gratitude further…”

Dorian gave Preston an odd look as the man gave a glance to Miss Ashcombe. The Captain spoke in a slightly lower than normal tone, while Preston nearly whispered. Dorian realized why finally.

“Mister Pew… Miss Ashcombe may be joining our company as we leave this port of call… You may speak freely here…”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

In tranist from the Lucy to the Watch Dog

Miss McDonough took leave of the Lucy her sea bag slung over her right shoulder her left hand lifting her petticoats from the tide on her way to the longboat. In the longboat she pondered the meeting with Mister Durand. She thought perhaps that he was there as a result of “The Cul do Sac fool”, the lone man who shot upon the ship …when Jenny was boarding …and Jenny recognized Durand …was he looking for Jenny? Jenny said she did not know him but had told Murin of their exchange at the inn.

The boat bumped up to the Watch Dog. Distracted by her thoughts it wasn’t until then that the difficulties of climbing six feet up the side of the ship in petticoats presented itself. She stood and hefted her bag to the crewman above her at the rail thanking the unidentifiable sailor whose image faded into the bright afternoon sun hanging high in the sky above them. Murin sighed, loosely twisted the layers of petticoat and chemise before her, draped them over her left arm, grasped the rung before her and worked her way rung by rung to the rail of the Watch Dog. At the top of the ladder Alan Woodington held out his hand helping her over the rail and onto the deck. “Tank ya Alan.” She dropped her skirts and brushed them smooth. “Nil d’bes way t’dress bordin a ship.” “Aye” Alan laughed as he passed her the seabag.

Argus barked from the base of the foreword mast. Smiling Miss McDonough headed to the large beast. Squinting at the sun she called out waving as she walked. “Treasure!” A shadow returned the greeting from above. Dropping her bag Murin allowed the dog to push the top of his head into her thighs while she scratched him behind the ears hoping as she did so that she was not breaking his training. If she were willing to remain with the dog he would have no objection, his tail wagging contentedly from side to side. Just a bit too much pressure from the hound and Murin was knocked off balance and back a step. “Argus!” She laughed patting the dog on the head. As she turned to leave he nudged her hand but did not follow as she walked from him to the open hatchway.

In the berth she opened her chest and withdrew some of the sailors clothing then proceeded to change, placing the majority of her clothing in the trunk. After tying a brown neck scarf around her head she threw her blood stained petticoat over her shoulder, gathered the parcel that contained the laundered chemise from the ships surgeon and the hand linen from the surgeons mate and headed topside.

August 3, 1704 - The Ward Room of the Watch Dog

"Enter." William said for the twentieth time since returning to the Watch Dog. Miss Constance came in at the door and she seemed as pleasant as ever, though her face still showed a little of the bruise where Tawny had struck her. William mentioned this mark again as a way of complimenting her, for she had proved resourceful in her attack on the murderous fellow.

"I wish it was a scar, that I might brandish it in the retelling, Cap'n." She said with a smile as he pulled out a chair for her.

"I understand completely, but I'd not have your face ruined by such a creature, Miss Constance."

"Most kind." she returned.

William stepped back to the ledger and counted out her shares aloud as he penned in a notation, turning the ledger to Miss Constance. She signed it with a very simple hand and a shorter signature than most, for Constance was both her first and only name, and no one had ever bothered her for another. She blew lightly on the ink and seemed to take genuine pleasure in placing her name alongside so many others. She nodded in satisfaction and returned the book to William.

"It is done then." she said aloud. William did not take her meaning at first, but simply nodded, passing the shares over to her. "I mean to go ashore, Cap'n."

"I should think so, what with those shares there...ready to be..." William stopped. Constance was shaking her head.

"I mean to put to shore, Cap'n."

William paused, laying down the quill in his hand, and then let out a long "Ahhh." It came out like a sigh. Then he laughed a little ruefully. It was a tired sound. He lowered his head a little and looked at the table before him. "This island is much too pretty." he said quietly, almost to himself. He looked over at her without raising his face. "When do you mean to go?"

"Tonight...at the very latest, Cap'n. And I should like to take Meg with me when I go."

William nodded, and smiled a little at this. He had thought to put Meg ashore himself and see that she was provided for, so this came as no great surprise to him. He almost said as such, but didn't, choosing to nod in his customary fashion. Then he shook his head in disbelief.

"This island is much too pretty, Sah." she said, smiling. "Meg and I will do well here. I might even ask Callie to join us that we might make a life for ourselves. We shall marry three brothers and live as well as we have here."

"Perhaps quieter." William offered.

"Perhaps more loudly." she returned. William nodded.

"You'll inform Mister Lazarus of your departure, of course."

"I'm sorry, Sah." She said apologetically. "I already have."

"It's right that you should have told him before me." William admitted and added, "You'll be missed at table."

Constance grinned at this. "You should know, Sah...I may perhaps open a bakery or work a kitchen inn if I can find one to my liking."

William beamed at the idea. "Oh, very good, Miss Constance. Very good, indeed. Then we shall visit, patrons all, when we are here next." William was genuinely glad to hear that so many of his departing crew would be here at Martinique, now and in the future, though another part of him felt a foreboding that so many should remain on this fragment of France in the middle of a wide war. "Go and tell Meg and bring her here for her shares."

"Aye, Cap'n."

She went out quietly and William sat a long time watching the door.

~Larboard Watches on Duty~

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Murin McDonough hummed as she walked glad to be once again free of the restrictions that dressing like a lady imposed on a woman. She wanted to check with Meg on what progress had been made in her absences and to share what news of the work being done ashore. She stopped to pat Argus on the head. He sniffed at the package in her hand; it was to go to surgeon, or at least to the surgeon’s office. “Well boy we shall see iffen d’churgeon n’er mate ave returned.” and she continued across the deck.

August 3, 1704 - Ward room of the Watch Dog

William received several sailors in order, until Constance returned with Meg Wardell in tow. William stood up as they came in and invited them both to sit. As before, he fetched a bottle and several glasses from the stern bench and poured three conservative portions, offering each of the women a glass. William raised his glass in a quiet toast and they each sipped. Then William came directly to the point. "Do you mean to put to shore and remain at Martinique, Miss Wardell?"

Meg looked at Constance and back to William and nodded. "Yes, Sah. I mean to do so."

William nodded. He made a notation in the ledger and passed it to Meg for her signature. As she did so, he made an alteration in another volume, removing the names of Meg Wardell and Constance from the list of the Watch Dog and the Whole Company. He would later add a more descriptive explanation of their departure in his logs, but time was at a premium today and everything was reduced to a notation. Meg passed the ledger to him again and he nodded his satisfaction. "Thank you, Miss Wardell. I..."

"Captain." she interrupted. "I want you to know, that...you see it's..."

"Miss Wardell, you may go ashore with my blessing." William reassured her. "No one will think you the lesser for it. You served as ably as you were able to serve, Miss Wardell, and given your recent trials, especially your near demise on the Warrinton Heart...not to mention your service against the Maastricht, what more can be said?"

"I hardly did any...service against the Maastricht, sah."

"You were not several weeks recovered from the storm and you still took up arms in defense of this ship. Say what you will, Miss Wardell, you did take up arms."

Meg's face did not except William's seeming generous praise, but she nodded. He smiled and counted out the last of her shares and passed them to her. "All of your worst fears and trials have been at sea. You have your life and the means to go where you wil. Now, go ashore and live."

She teared up a bit at this, and maybe it was relief as much as anything else. So much money laid before her. A chance to begin anew. The freedom which her indenture never would have allowed her. The company of a strong woman willing to start this new life with her. "I can never thank you enough for saving my life, Sah."

William shook his head. "You crossed our course. We were obliged to take you aboard."

They exchanged some small conversation afterwards, but knowing that William's business was always pressing, they went out. William instructed Constance to collect those arms belonging to her and to take a ship's pistol for Miss Wardell. He also about to send for Miss McDonough, but found her already in the passageway off the ward room, even as she was knocking on the surgery door.

"Miss McDonough. If you would join me."

~Larboard Watches on Duty~

Murin turned at her name. “Aye capin.” She had heard that the captain was handing out shares from the Maastricht auction and was to find her way there this day anyway. As she passed Meg and Constance in the passageway she nodded “Ello lass” and then noticed the tear in Meg’s eye. “Meg er …I’ll be back. Ken ya tak dis in fer mae?” She handed the package she carried to the woman and turned to the Ward room where Captain Brand waited.

Stepping inside the room she questioned, “Aye sah?”

Murin took care not to dip the point of the quill too far into the ink then lightly dabbed the tip against the side before attempting her signature. The ink did not rush from the quill tip leaving a ink blotch at the start of her name, she continued to move the quill smoothly across the page deliberately and was pleased that her writing was improving. When done she grinned, laid the quill down as she looked up at the captain then blew over the ink to dry it.

Opening her coin pouch she said "Tank ya capin', tis d'most rewardin employment I've ad in m'lifetime." she lifted the coins into the pouch then slid the ledger back to the captain.

William accepted the ledger again and then leaned back in his chair. He pressed the tips of his fingers together and regarded Murin over them. "There are several subjects that I wish to speak with you about concerning the Watch Dog, our Miss Ashcombe and La Chateau Anse. I understand, by way of several men aboard ship, that you were present during an altercation with Luigi and several men of Martinique. What can you tell me about this incident?"

She could feel the blush in her cheek rise. Stammering a bit she gave the captain the details of mister Taggart’s advances and Luigi’s actions in her defense, of the men Taggart called to his service and the subsequent drawing of arms. “Twas goode fortune fer mae det Luigi wuz dere. D’inn keep sent fer a surgeon. Luigi’s doin well …as well as ken bae expected. I owe im n’I nil know wot could repay such a debt.”

William nodded and it was enough. He asked for no additional details about the fight or Luigi, though he made note of Monsieur's Taggart's name that he might learn more about the man later. He also decided not to pursue the matter of Miss Ashcombe, choosing instead to let Murin know of Constance's design to put to shore in the company of Meg Wardell, and possibly Miss Moore. He explained their intentions to open a bakery or some such shop in order to live and work at Martinique. This explained, William suggested that it might be in Murin's best interest to go ashore with them, Monsieur Taggart notwithstanding.

He said this of course, not by way of reproval, nor to sggest that she was wanted elsewhere. It was the genuine suggestion of one who had seen many come and go and he made the offer with no true opinion either way.

Miss McDonough blinked her lips parted, her surprise was clear. "I ...um," she stammered once more not knowing if this was a suggestion that was born out of the trouble she had caused ashore. Was there a problem with her work? She bit her bottom lip for a moment, inhaled then blew the air out through pursed lips and plowed forward, "If dis is bout m'work sah it will improve soon as m'and allows. N'I apologize fer bringin on Jenny n'Ned but I knew nil wot else t'do wit d'two uv dem. Jenny wuz like a hunted rat n'I would ave let Ned free but dinay know ifin e'wuz sent few Jenny. N'..." she paused noting the expression on the captains face. "Sah?"

"Miss McDonough, no one is questioning your work. To question your work would be akin to questioning the work of Lazarus or Mister Hand." William smiled. "And while we are visiting the subject of hands, I have often seen you labor at the expense of yours." William gestured to her injury. Silkie put the hand in her lap. "No, Miss McDonough. You may stay if you so desire, but touching on the matters you have mentioned...well, I believe you should be made aware of something."

"Sah?"

"Would you please go to the galley and fetch back Miss O'Flaherty. Assuming she is still aboard, of course."

"Miss O'Flaherty...?"

Captain Brand nodded. "Aye sah." Murin left to the Galley, standing at the door she did not see Ned errr ...O'Flaherty she corrected her thoughts. "Mester Gage, is ...O'Flaherty aship?" he looked up from his work, "Aye." "Tank ya." Murin headed up the passageway to the waist once there she spied Ned ...Miss O'Flaherty. "O'Flaherty." she called the lad turned to her, "Capin would like ya t'join us in d'ward room."

Moria was enjoying the fresh air and warm sun on the main deck of the Watchdog, leaning on her elbows on the railing, idly watching the ocean roll away from the horizon. She turned at the sound of her last name, spoken in a voice and accent she hadn't heard in what already seemed like several days.

"Tha' ward room?"

"Aye," Miss McDonaugh gestured for the younger girl to follow her, which Moira did quickly and willingly, curious as to what would happen next. It seemed there was never a dull moment aboard this ship.

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

They both entered to find William standing at the stern windows. He was watching the Eastern most shoreline of the Cul du Sac Royal, for the Watch Dog had turned upon her cable, so that the stern was facing that sunlit shoreline. This gave the ship the advantage of being 'nose to sea', as a shipmate of William's had been want to to call it. William turned to them as they came in, and he gestured to the table. "Please." They both took a seat. William noted how Murin made a point of not looking at Moira, though it was apparent that she wanted to. "I have some matters to discuss with you both, so in the interest of economy, I shall be plain. Miss McDonough, you are not to begin any venture which requires the use of your hand until such a time as it has healed, and then only to the satisfaction of our good doctor..." he said with a force not to be misunderstood, then added quietly, "...whomever that may be."

"Aye, Sah." she returned.

"Good. "You will therefore be in need of someone to fetch and carry those goods necessary to your office. A point that I shall speak on momentarily. In regards to Luigi...you should both know that I require any and all able seamen aboard this ship to report, either to me or Captain Lasseter, any injuries inflicted upon a member of the Whole Company. If such an injury is witnessed ashore, such news is also to be brought to me or Captain Lasseter with haste, wherever we may be. Is that understood."

"Aye, Sah." They said together, though as more of an echo than a chorus.

"Now, Miss McDonough, before I can progress any further allow me to introduce Miss O'Flaherty of Galway."

She knew O'Flaherty was a countryman by his dialect but ...he had said his name was Ned. He looked a boy. "Miss? O'Flaherty."

O'Flaherty lifed a hand to his head and ran a hand through his matted hair in embarrassment. Scrunching his nose a bit he responded, "Aye, Moira. Twas better det I went as a lad in d'city. Found det men would leave a lad lone. A lass livin on d'streets wood bae expected t'make er way as a harlot n'I wern't bout t'do det."

"Aye, well ...Miss Moira. Tis a pleasure t'meet ya." Murin held her hand out to the lass.

"Miss O'Flaherty, for your service here, I am grateful. The work of the galley does not go unnoticed aboard the Watch Dog. We are richly blessed to have Mister Gage at the cookstove and our health and happiness is much improved for his turn of bad luck so many weeks ago. You could learn much from him, but even so...I would be remiss in my position as Captain if I did not offer you a day's wages and the door. This is no easy life." He paused just enough that Moira had a chance to speak, but he filled the silence again. "Miss McDonough could use the service of an assistant with two unmarred hands. If you wish to remain I will find a place for you. If you don't, I will see you clothed better than you are at present and put you ashore with coin. What say you, Miss O'Flaherty?"

Moira stared at the captain in complete surprise for a moment but was not so foolish as to waste his time with stammering.

"Ye have been more than kind to me, Captain. Ah wan' tah stay an' earn me way, however ye see fit," she stated firmly, looking him in the eye.

In the beat of silence that followed her bold proclamation, Moira could not prevent her glance from flickered over to Miss McDonough, seated beside her, and particularly to the woman's strong, slender hands folded neatly in her lap.

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

Murin smiled at the lass. As often as she felt insecure in the presence of the captain she knew it was her own misgivings that she feared for the captain had been supportive and encouraging since the day he had offered her employ on the Watch Dog. This same strength was offered to Moira and the intelligent lass had accepted that offer.

William felt two things at once. Regret that Moira should not go ashore, and also admiration, and for the very same reason. She was young, but life had already tempered her resolve and self determination. William watched her eyes, how they fell only where she wanted them to. 'A creature of choice.' he thought, and he determined to take his offer a step further.

"You'll forgive me for what may seem like a speech, Miss O'Flaherty, but I have almost one hundred souls aboard this ship. Many of them have been a hundred times tested...and long before they signed aboard the 'Dog. Everyone of them, new and old has seen enough and demonstrated courage enough to be counted among the Whole Company without hesitation. They bring with them the book and volume of life at sea in a world unforgiving. Should you stay, the choice being yours, I can offer you but two shares. If you should show that you can learn enough to be numbered among the able, I shall consider a higher dividend, but not before. With that said, you will go ashore with Miss McDonough. You are hereby assigned to the Starboard Watch, but you must serve our Tailor ashore on leave. This levy is a kind of tax I shall impose upon you for taking you aboard under these circumstances. Do we have an accord, Miss O'flaherty?"

Moira watched the captain closely as he spoke, and took note of the tired resignation in his voice. The import of his words was not lost on her, and when he had finished speaking she paused a long moment to consider his offer.

It was more than fair, considering she came aboard under questionable circumstances at best, with limited knowledge of a seafaring life and lacking the brute strength of a man. Here she would have food, shelter and a shirt on her back for the price of honest, if hard, work . . . well, honest? After a fashion, she mused, and of a sort she could reconcile and still sleep at night. As for shares? What need had she of extra money, if she could earn her bread and board simply on the sweat of her daily labor?

A handshake was in order. Moira rose from her seat and extended her hand to the captain.

"Aye, sah. An accord, an' my gratitude," she said firmly, telling herself that she would live to these expectations and beyond, that she would prove her worth and learn all she could of the new life she had chosen.

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

William shook her hand. Then he made a point of extracting the Articles of the Whole Company, that she might sign her name to them. He laid it out on the table and dipped the quill before passing it to her.

"Have you an understanding of pistols, Miss O'Flaherty?"