The Watch Dog

William Brand

On the Docks

Benjamin Quigley was sent to the wharf with the others for the days events. The work he had been doing was not easy but it was good to be out on the water and in the sunlight. He had misgivings about this captain of questionable renown, her crew, being shot at in broad daylight and now this, the renaming of the ship, bad luck to be sure. He found himself at the outskirts of the throng that pressed its way forward to hear the captain. Only steps from blending into those who had only a curiosity about the goings on. Quigley felt for the pouch where his winnings from some gaming on the Heron… the Lucy …the few nights before, not much but with that and his limited knowledge of the French language he might be able to find work on another ship. Change his name and... Without any thought he was meandering away, walking with but not joining those who had started to move with the singing crowd. As he walked Ben thought of his options, looking along the docks at what ships were there. He was British by birth and by previous loyalties, was it possible that he could change his loyalties so easily? What cost was this freedom? How would he survive in this French colony? He did not have papers, how long could he walk free before being approached by the authorities? When he came back to his surroundings he found he had separated from the combined crew. Stopping in his tracks Mister Quigley contemplated his next move.

Murin McDonough forced her way to the front of the crowd gathered on the dock of Fort Royal around the Heron. Her disappointment at Mister Wenge’s failure to join her at the inn last evening was far less important than her desire to see what the artisan had hidden beneath the canvas cover at the chandlery. When Captain Lasseter invoked the gods and rechristened the ship the “Lucy”. She crossed herself as the Irish Catholic are known to do her hand ending on the talisman wore pinned inside the collar of her mantua as she considered the “old ways” and superstitions. Billy Flint called out a toast then led the crowd away. Murin considered following Billy but Nathan was at his side, she was loath to bring the lad’s mood down. She remained on the dock, smiled and knuckled her forelock as the captains passed to the Lucy’s gangplank. The idea came to her; Jenny was on that ship and very much alone. Gathering her belongings she headed after the captains to the gangplank. The captains, standing in the waist, took note of Miss McDonough as she reached the top of the gangway. Curtsying low she requested “Permission to come aboard.”

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murin blushed a bit at first thinking Captain Brand sincere in his statement but the grin he wore and the twinkle in his eye as he looked up at her made his intention all too clear. "Well sah," Murin accepted his assistance, "Twas Captain Lasseter wot found mae on yer ilan. Ah'ero e'is ta'mae." She smiled a broad smile and wondered at her own boldness.

William raised a brow and exchanged a look with Dorian. "Send a smallboat and the smallboat is given the greater glory." William looked back at Murin. "Nevermind that the 'Dog was the port of origin." Dorian nodded, smiling. Both Captains stood before Miss McDonough and waited for her to continue.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Murin, feeling suddenly foolish stammered a moment, an embarrassed giggle accompanied the further reddening of her cheeks, "Nay goode Capin Brand, I could nil leave d'Dog fer long. Tis m'ome now. Fer dis I tank ye bothe." she lowered her sea bag to the deck and again offered a deep and respectful curtsy.

"Many tings aside frum present company.” Murin nodded her head towards the two men. “I ave yet t'make er acquaintance. I was on the Masstrich but not dis beauty and ave been admiring d'swif lass since firs I sar er dance upon d'waves!“ the excitement in her heart was reflected in the lilt of her voice. "I ear she as sum beautiful new guns” Murin smiled as she focused momentarily on the brightly polished brass glinting in the sun, "Dough I know little of deese tings I wish t'learn." she continued without a pause "I've a friend wot as been on dis ship not knowin anyone n'I wants t'share er'company for a bit." Then looking to the front of the ship she trying to spy a glimpse of the figure head, "N’I'm also open t'see wot Mester Wenge will grace the bow of the Heer ...um, Lucy wit." In her youthful exuberance one idea followed another and spilled from her with little pause. She became aware of less than humble behavior and for the first time in the presence of either captain, William Brand in particular, it did not matter. She found herself speaking to them as ...her heart skipped a beat ...equal?

Dorian invited her to walk about the deck then and see the Lucy in more detail. With fresh paint and freshly polished cannon, the cutter was now as new as her name and Murin did not decline to see her. William, as busy as he would be that day, did not mind another walk about the ship, for she was a good prize and an admirable companion to the 'Dog. As they made a turn about the weatherdecks they were joined by Mister Pew, who came aboard the Lucy with only a little difficulty. William made a point of addressing him informally as he arrived , Miss Kildare's letter still fresh in his mind.

Preston paused, but no real expression crossed his face at being addressed by his given name. The man looked pale for his walk that morning, but no worse for wear and William was glad to see him by daylight and said as such.

"Thank you, Captain." Pew said, looking about the deck of the Lucy with the new appraisal of a man whose position in life has been altered by many changes, and indeed his had. "The Lucy." he said, almost as flatly as William had just minutes before, neither a question or comment. They both looked at Dorian.

"Aye." was all he said, then added. "Welcome aboard."

Keen to find Dorian's reasoning for the name, I tried to pry.

"I knew a Lucy a ways back. Bit o' a trouble maker tha' one. Wee gerl, but she'ad a bit o' a bite. Mayhaps they be one 'n th' same Captain Lasseter?" I narrowed my eyes and curved a wry smile.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Dorian looked at Preston and gave him a wink,

“Mebee we know th’ same gerl…”

This comment brought fourth some laughter, and when it died some, the Captain gave a better explanation.

“I chose Lucy as a feminine form o’ Lucifer… now afore ye get all affronted, Lucifer means light-bearer, ‘ccordin’ ta th’ latin, or it be a term fer the ‘Mornin’ Star, Venus… With all th’ shiny new brass guns an’ all, seemed appropriate…”

William, Preston, and Murin had contemplative looks on their faces at Dorian’s explanation, to which the Captain of the Cutter smiled and pulled a flask from his pocket and offered it to those assembled.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

She watched the others leave with Bill and needing to center herself and push her emotions aside she slipped from the docks and made her way along the wharf and the small side trail that fed to the left and to the beach. The path was steep, rocky at first then giving way to thick sand which made it harder going and sand sprayed with every step.

A muffled bark was her only warning as she slid the rest of the way to the beach below that Argus had found her. She had no idea where the dog had wandered off to, and truth to tell she had not truly worried for he would return or he would not. Still a grin tugged at her lips as he bounded down the steep trail, sand flying steadily in a golden shower beneath his paws.

As he came on she dropped her sea bag and hefted a piece of driftwood and crouching spun to face Argus and shook the stick at him. Throwing the stick as far as she could down the beach she watched the powerful muscles beneath the brindle coat hurl the massive dog forwards in great strides.

Hefting her bag and making sure the beach was deserted she moved further down and then watched as Argus sped past the stick and turned back tail wagging as he leapt upon the stick with playful fervor. Again dropping her bag and stripping her shoes and stockings off as well as her coat she dug her toes into the sand for a moment.

The white sands seemed to stretch forever, the winds both warm and sultry promised a beguiling day, and perhaps a stormy night. Spinning about in the sand, long hair flying about her she laughed with a freedom she had not felt in a long while. As Argus drew her attention leaping about her with his stick she grabbed for one end laughing as he turned his head presenting his side to her, grabbing for his tail, Argus quickly dropped the stick and growled playfully seeking her hand.

Just as quickly she released him and managed to heft the stick and dart off down the beach tossing the stick, he fetching and returning and at times playing tug of war till both were wet. Still both participants remained exuberant in their wild frolic upon the beach.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

August 3, 1704 - Aboard the Lucy

The flask passed between them and once William had taken a sip, he passed it to Preston. In doing so he was reminded of a pressing question. "Mister Pew...perchance, did our Mister Wellings and Scymmelpenninck visit the chirurgeon's with Ajayi while you were there?"

"I don' know a Wellings..." Preston returned.

"Ahhh, yes. You would not know him." William admitted, though this answered his question on the point of the three able seaman, for if Preston had not met Wellings, then the three men had never arrived at Maeve O'Treasaigh's home. "Joshua Wellings is one of the many men we took from the prison as able seamen for the 'Dog and Her...Lucy." William smiled. "Forgive me, Captain Lasseter. Force of habit." Dorian nodded.

"If they came to see me, th' women might 'ave sent them off." Preston offered.

"Perhaps." William agreed, and he and Dorian exchanged a short look.

Maeve sat at the table sipping a cup of after-breakfast tea as she contemplated their latest ward. The mysterious woman dressed as a man lay sleeping deeply by the fireplace with the lazy black kitten snuggled in the crook of the injured woman’s arm. She would have shooed him off, but she was too tired to bother. Sounds of water and scrubbing and humming came from the kitchen as BriarRose cleaned up after their morning breakfast.

Preston had seen himself out, again, no doubt on some errand of his own choosing. Not knowing what else to think, she assumed his bed was likely permanently freed up and debated moving this latest patient to his spot. After a moment, she decided it could wait until they’d had a chance to change the bed sheets. Maeve pursed her lips in some annoyance at having yet another patient who was likely unable to pay her, and couldn’t help but feel a bit miffed at how caring for this person might cut into her recently received funds. Any cut into those funds made her inevitable hardship likely to arrive that much sooner, and it frightened her. She tried to repent of this attitude, but it was slow in coming, even as she reminded herself that tomorrow she was schedule to donate more of her time and skills at the church. Just then, there came an unexpected knock at the door.

Maeve rose and went to the door. Opening it, she found a teen-aged boy, looking both tired and hopeful. His eyes darted past her as though looking for something or someone, even as she asked how she may help him. The boy looked past her one more time before answering.

“Mademoiselle, I ‘ave a message for Mademoiselle Kildaire…”, he stopped, uncertain if he should continue.

Maeve looked at the boy. “Who are you?”, she asked, guarded.

“Gervais, Mademoiselle”, he said, looking a bit agitated. “I ‘ave a reply for ‘er from Capitaine Marque from Le Chien de garde…”, he said pausing. Maeve was perplexed a moment before her tired mind translated the meaning of his French.

“Oh”, she said suddenly. “You mean from Captain Brand of the Watch Dog?”, she asked.

“Oui!”, the boy replied, smiling. “Ee sez that ee wishes to speak wiz ‘er about marrying ‘er aboard ze, uh, Watch Dog, later zis evening”, he finished, beaming.

“Marry her?!” Maeve exclaimed, eyes widening significantly. She frowned again, almost immediately repeating the word “marriage” back to the boy, only in French.

“Oui”, the boy said again simply, although he seemed a bit uncertain now over the woman’s obvious shock.

Maeve turned away from the boy and called out “Briar!! I think ya’d best come here….now!”

MaeveBanner_justbarber.jpg

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

Shouts awoke me.

"Marry her?!"

I opened my eyes to find that I had found sleep earlier that morning and obviously been asleep for some time. I felt the kitten snuggled up next to me. I blinked a few times to get my eyes to focus.

"Oh, so now ye wan' ti come ti meh do ye?" I said quietly looking at the black kitten, stroking its soft fur.

“Briar!! I think ya’d best come here….now!” I heard someone shout.

"Now wha's des a'bout marriage?" I asked the cat propping myself onto my elbows, I making sure not to stir him.

115DSCF05041-Copy.jpg

Aboard the Lucy

After the look shared between William and Dorian, the Captain of the Lucy was handed his flask, he took a final nip and shut the top. He kept it in his hand as he crossed them behind is back, nodded to those within his proximity and stepped to the rail next to the wharf. He scanned the crowd there, watching many still heading to the taverns. The ex-slave, Ajayi, stood out in a crowd and was nowhere to be seen. The other men that William mentioned, Wellings and Scymmelpenninck, were not well known to Dorian, so looking for them in the crowd did little good. He noticed that Captain Brand had joined him in looking towards the wharf.

“Wellings… new man… an’ Scymmelpenninck… not as new, but still green to us… think they found trouble ashore?”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

"Ajayi, Wellings and Scymmelpenninck did not report back to the Watch Dog last night." William said, his voice low. He did not want to voice his thoughts on the matter aloud, but as Dorian was often of a like mind, he ventured into conjecture. "An Englishman and Dutchman ashore in the company of a Yoruban..."

Dorian nodded, still scanning the docks and the avenues stretching back into St. Louis. There was no sign of them, though an occasional dark visage stood out in the crowd, none of them the great able seaman. "They wouldn't sell 'im..." Dorian wondered aloud, his face frowning. William did not answer. This thought was one of many he had not wanted to voice, for his concerns last night had been for the men's safety. Now, the night was over and the morning was growing long. Like it or not, William had to admit that the idea of his two recruits turned slave traders was not beyond the realm of possibility.

"I want to believe they were welcomed into one too many Pubs during their errand." William said simply. "I want to believe that and no more."

BriarRose was just finishing up the morning dishes when she heard Maeve calling her. Coming in to the main room as she wiped her wet hands upon her apron she looked at Maeve’s flushed face.

“What is the matter?” BriarRose asked.

“This boy is here to deliver ya a message. He said that you was to meet Captain Brand upon the WatchDog concerning yer marriage.”

BriarRose for a moment seemed not to understand the words her friend had just spoken. Repeating the words back to herself, BriarRose’s warm blue eyes deepened to sea green as she stated, “What are you talking about Meave? Marry, Marry who?”

“Captain Brand!” Maeve seemed almost to shout out the words to her friend.

“But I do not understand.” Said BriarRose, dazed by her friend’s response continued, “Are you sure you heard the message correctly?” Walking over to the door where Maeve stood BriarRose's eyes widened as she recognized the boy.

“Aye, I am that sure I am.” Said Maeve.

Addressing the boy, BriarRose asked, "Did you deliver my message?"

"Oui, Mademoiselle. I ‘ave a reply for ‘er from Capitaine Marque from Le Chien de garde…”, he said beaming at the attention he was now recieveing from two beautiful women. The boy repeated once again what he had just said to the first woman, “Ee sez that ee wishes to speak wiz ‘er about marrying ‘er aboard ze, uh, Watch Dog, later zis evening”

Shaking her head BriarRose said, “Mayhaps I should go see Captain Brand to figure this all out?” Looking at her friend again, BriarRose asked, “Maeve, you don’t think, well,” pausing to weigh her words BriarRose continued, “This has to be a misunderstanding. Mustn’t it?” a moment of fear crept in to her eyes as she looked at her friend to respond. Then shaking her head again she said, “This is absolutely ludicrous Maeve. How could I marry him, I don’t even know him?”

Looking at the boy BriarRose took out a coin from her pocket. Completely exasperated by the response of her letter from Captain Brand when she had addressed it to Captain Lasseter. This had to be some kind of a mistake.

"What message?" Maeve asked.

Biting her lower lip, BriarRose was silent for a moment. Maeve's eyes narrowed at her friends reluctance to speak. "Briar, what did ya do?"

BriarRose looked at her friend and said, "Well you know how, well, how I know or feel things sometimes. Well, I just have an uneasy feeling about the passage you booked. Please, Maeve dear, I trust in your judgement. I do. I just, well....I am having one of those feelings and you know if I ignore it I usually end up payin' the devil for it." Her face crimson with embarresment she turned away to see two pairs of curious eyes watching them. Mandrake blinked several times as their new patient seemed to have a genuine look of curiosity upon her face. Sighing deeply she turned back to Maeve as she continued, "You know how I don't like to talk about such things."

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Aboard the Lucy

Dorian nodded at William, wishing the same. He still scanned the crowds on shore for a time, then turned towards the gangway as a man with a barrow approached it.

“Ah, a delivery…”

The Captain of the Cutter walked to the gangway and as he did so deposited his flask in his pocket and drew fourth a coin in one easy movement. Crossing to shore he spoke briefly with the man and directed his aboard. The barrowman hefted a small crate from his barrow and carried it aboard, placing it near the main grating. As he walked back across Dorian shook his hand and deposited the coin within. A nod and bow, the barrow taken up and he was away. Dorian walked slowly aboard and over to the crate, a smile peeking on his face. William gave him the mildest of curious looks and Preston came closer as well.

“Somethin’ ta pretty up th’ guns… not that they need it…”

He reached down and opened the crate. Inside lay several brass rectangle plates. He lifted out one and held it out for all to see. Inscribed across it was “Diecolus”. Brows were knitted and the mildly curious looks became deeper.

“Number seven Gun…”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Number seven gun..." William repeated aloud. William and Preston exchanged a look. Preston's expression was more smirk than smile, though he raised an eyebrow to match William's. William shook his head a little in good humor. "English cutter...now, Dutch yacht..."

Dorian ignored this.

"River boat of 'er majesty, Queen Anne..." Preston remarked, effecting the slightest lisp of aires as he did so. He removed his hat and mimicked a bow deeper than was usual for him. It cost him a little, still being weak from recent days abed, but the joke was not lost. William returned the bow, though his thoughts were elsewhere again.

Dorian barely shook his head at the officers mocking him. He placed the plate back in the crate and shot them a look. He tried to hold the look of being offended, but could not.

“A fine ship, armed wi’ fine guns… what’s a couple embellishments? The men’ll ‘ave more pride an’ do wot they can ta keep ‘er in one piece in a battle…”

He dared them to challenge his thoughts.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Maeve closed the door as the boy, now paid, ran off. She turned her gaze back to Briar.

“Why didn’t ya talk ta me about it last night?” Maeve asked, confused. “You want me ta believe you have a better feelin’ about takin’ passage upon a privateer rather than a merchant ship makin’ an honest livin’?”

Briar seemed not to know what to say to this. Maeve handed her her cloak with a mixed expression of worry and consternation.

“If the boy has made a mistake here in the translation of his message, he’s likely made a mistake at the Watch Dog as well. Best you be off ta find out what’s happenin’. Be careful ta hide yer face now”, she said more kindly as she urged her friend out the door and into the bustling morning streets of Martinique.

MaeveBanner_justbarber.jpg

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

William returned from his thoughts. "I agree completely, Captain Lasseter. I mean to have the gun deck of the 'Dog shored up from beneath with a samson post and a support step, that I might have His Grace gilded in gold." William kept a straight face as he said this, but it dissolved altogether when Preston added.

"Every man a wimple an' a crispin' pin."

William had not expected this of Preston, for the reference was obscure enough that he had not thought to hear it used in such a manner here, and he choked a little as he recovered himself. Dorian ignored them both well enough, too happy with the nameplates to care about their mockery. Murin stood hard by and she made a point of complimenting the upcoming embellishment.

"Thank you, Miss McDonough." Dorian returned.

He figured he might as well get it over with, let them finish their friendly mockery.

“Should ‘ave th’ new bell comin’ shortly as well, along wi’ the stern board… Tho sadly, tis not gilded, just matchin’ colours…”

William just nodded and Preston smirked, slightly coughed then spoke.

“Ow ‘bout th’ figure’ead, I hear say tis a grande masterpiece…”

Dorian cut him off before he began to make another jab.

“Just ye wait n’ see, just ye wait n’ see, Quarter Master… Our carpenter did a fine job indeed. I visited her last night, I expect many drinks ta be bought fer Mister Wenge fer his diligence. Many… drinks…”

The new Quarter Master of the Lucy and Captain of the Watch Dog again shared a smile.

“Well… lets hope I can get the men back aboard soon enough, afore they celebrate ‘emselves inta a stupor…”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"You had best wait until they have celebrated so...before placing Preston's name before them." William said sagely, turning his banter upon Preston who fixed him with a look. "They'll not approve of him sober."

Before Preston could make an answer to this the Lucy was hailed yet again, and by a voice more commanding than any previously that day. A man of significant stature was already upon the gangplank, though he was careful to stand in the attitude of one who expects to come aboard without overstating this expectation. He was a tall man, and seemingly, equally wide in the shoulders, a feature exaggerated by the coat he wore despite the rising heat of the morning. He was a strange looking man, who squinted into the morning sun. He was alien in appearance, for he was as removed from the fashions of the day as he was from his hair, for when the two Captains and the Quartermaster approached the rail, the man removed his hat to reveal that neither his own hair or anyone else's adorned his head. Also, he carried a sword of such size that it seemed a century out of place, though William thought a man of his stature would find a small sword laughable. He also carried two heavy pistols tucked together at his waist and he did not seem to mind the weight of them.

Jerrod Styles, normally aloft on duty, stood soundly between the visitor and the weatherdecks, though he looked back to see what Captain Lasseter would do with this man who seemed ready to come aboard at the merest nod. Dorian met the man at the rail and introduced himself as Captain of the Lucy. William was glad to hear Dorian say it with deliberate clout, for though the stranger's mode of dress gave away no office, his bearing did carry with it a weight beyond the man himself, and Dorian was careful to balance this weight with his own. The stranger made no mention of his own name, but offered a packet of several neatly folded papers to Mister Styles, who then passed them to Captain Lasseter. As Dorian took them, he did not take his eyes from the man, though the stranger looked away from him as casually as one who finds such errands beneath him.

William watched this scene unfold with the eye of the detached observer, since he had remained anonymous for the present. He watched how the man stood, noticing that he wore his self assurance well. It was not the haughty stance of the wealthy or the politician, but the genuine power of a man who has survived much without the greater need of public or private approval. Dorian himself was much the same way, caring little for the opinions of others as it touched his own self estimation. Dorian perused the documents before him with a removed aire that belied his experience as a man outside societies requirements. They were, for all intents and purposes, two castings off of one wax. However, a distinct difference remained. Dorian was Captain of the Lucy and Quartermaster of the Whole Company. As such he was governed by those he served, while also governing over over them. The man on the gangplank was a country unto himself, governed by no one absolute power. An enigma of politics and position, undefined, except for each passing moment.

Dorian passed the documents to William with a Captain's expression. William had seen this face painted on Dorian just the day before when dealing with Lieutenant Turcotte, and William recognized it now just as much as he recognized Turcotte's hand in the documents before him, though Lieutenant Raul Turcotte's name appeared in none of them.

"Monsieur, Est-ce que...je peux présenter capitaine William Brand du chien de garde ?" Dorian said, gesturing to William.

"It is unnecessary to use French when addressing me, as I can speak your English well enough, Captain Lasseter." the man returned, and indeed he spoke English so well that one might have thought him born to the language, but for a hint of accent. Then he nodded to William with a gracious smile. "It is my pleazure to make your acquaintance, Capitaine. Your reputation precedes you."

"And what reputation is that?" William asked. "I have so many, Monsieur."

The man smiled. "Perhaps you will explain them all to me, Capitaine, when my buziness is done here."

"Perhaps I shall." William agreed, careful to keep the conversation simple, for he was suddenly more aware of the man's possibilities than before, and he had ever been careful in tempting power with too much abandon. The Mahdi had once told William to 'Present your hand carefully to unknown dogs. Show them but one open palm while you make a fist with the other'.

It was now Dorian's turn to watch the two men, even as he considered the papers before him, for unlike Turcotte's warrant to search and question, this man's documents were more subtle. Dangerous. One document gave the man the right to make an accounting of the Lucy, at least as Dorian understood it. It was a kind of customs document which gave it's bearer the right to assure the powers of state that no undo steps were being taken to hide contraband or stolen goods. As simple as it was worded, there was an unspoken power written between every other line. Indeed, there were more seals upon it than sentences. The other document was ambiguous, explaining with too many words the validity of the other. Dorian understood them both for what they really were. They were one in the same...

It was the Lieutenant come again by another door.

Two bells of the Forenoon Watch

~Starboard Watches on Duty~

Miss McDonough stood Silent beside Mister Pew as the captains shared a guarded exchange of pleasantries with the stranger. There was something afoot. The Stranger was congenial but the papers passed to Captain Lasseter were weighted with wax and the sunlight through the pages reviled that each was full of text and signatures. She had grown up amongst Irish and British who wielded both assigned and actual power. This was one of those who had strength in both, pleasant socially and fair but sincere in his work and purpose. This was not a social call.

Murin knew nothing of the events that occurred after she had left the Watch Dog yesterday. None of those she had spoken to last night had mentioned the shooting to her. What snippets of hushed conversation she had heard on the subject did not demand as much attention as Luigi’s hand and well being had thus not registering with the lass as noteworthy.

Her eyes met Mister Pew’s but both were cautious not to show anything but measured interest.