The Watch Dog

William Brand

Ciaran soon returned the call. The dinghy was brought alongside the Watch Dog and attached but briefly to her chains. Luc and Eric climbed aboard to be met by the marines on watch. A nod and a handshake followed by quieries about the Captain led the two men to the Ward Room.

Tudor stood briefly in the way of the sergeant-at-arms. "Cap'n's busy."

"As 'e will b' doubly so," Eric didn't stop as he brushed past the Captain's steward. Eric gave a hard rap on the door, then a push to open. He caught the Captain in near mid sentence, "Beggin' yah pahdon sah. News from Mister Pew ashore." Eric didn't await a reply and held the letter out for the Captain to recieve.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As they sat, muffled voices preceded a second stronger rap on the door which opened before the Captain's reply was complete. Jenny's eyes flew to Murin in question as a hurried exchange began.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

August 1, 1704 - Ward room of the Watch Dog

William could not remember anyone ever rushing into the ward room unbidden. Even Tudor, who shared the almost equal right of access to the place, had never entered in a rush. to counterpoint this, tudor arrived a second later. She looked irritated and William simply gave her a solitary nod and she closed the door. William took the letter and unfolded it, stepping to a lantern at the corner of the room. There he read the letter, not once, but twice. When he looked up from the folded paper he regarded Mister Franklin with a quiet look laced with questions.

"Mister Franklin..." William began, but he stopped again to read the letter a third time. He passed his finger over it and began shaking his head. "Perhaps you can explain the urgency of this letter, for apart from your arrival, I can find none within it. Is there perhaps some message within that I am meant to decipher apart from the words themselves?"

The room was very quiet.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

"Thought 't most urgent sah. Guess not," was all that Eric said. He turned slowly and closed the ward room door behind him nearly leaving Luc in the wake.

He moved to holy ground and leaned upon the rail.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

August 1, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Eric's entrance unbidden and departure without dismissal left William at a bit of a loss, not that such protocols had ever been gospel aboard the 'Dog. He shook his head slowly from side to side and perused the letter a fourth time, temporarily forgetting his present company. He folded the letter and looked at the closed door again before turning once more to his guests.

"Miss Ashcombe." he prompted, though his thoughts were now elsewhere.

Miss Ashcombe had barely sorted out the earlier events of the evening when she was swept along again and across the Cul De Sac by Murin McDonugh's determination to assist her. Now finding herself in the offices of the Captain she had only seen but not made the aquaintance of, Jenny felt as a blank parchment. Here she was dressed as a lad, hiding truths from the woman trying to protect her and in the presence of a man she was sure would wisely measure her words against his experience. The sudden interruption, curt exchange and Captain's obvious distraction with other matters, led her to realize she knew little to nothing of the protocols of a ship. The fleeting thought that she might have been gravely mistaken in coming aboard unprepared sunk in her stomach. Jenny sat fighting the urge to simply run, considering that these men may find fortune in turning her over favorable to what she may pay for passage. The Captain's expression continued the question he had just spoken. She considered all that Murin risked in bringing her aboard. Not only her but a thief recently caught. Regaining a measure of confidence, Jenny began to speak and was surprised as the words tumbled from her lips before she had thought to release them. "Sir" she swallowed as all eyes turned to her. Jenny chose to reveal no more than what was necessary in unfamiliar company. "I am seeking passage to the Colonies, there to rejoin my family or as near as your vessel may make port that I can make further arrangements. Miss McDonough has told me you may be of such assistance." Jenny looked at him directly as she spoke. Hoping to convey some of the confidence she most certainly didn't feel. But the determination to leave Martinique ..and Garaud behind perhaps did.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

"You wish to come aboard as a passenger, Miss Ashcombe?" William asked, his tone removed.

"Yes, sir." She returned, simply.

He turned to her then and narrowed his eyes a little. Whatever distraction might have been there before was gone in a moment. He looked at her for a long time. Long enough to make her fidget. He let this same look fall on the scrawny sneak-thief that Murin had brought along with her.

"I would like to believe that I fell asleep hours ago." he said aloud.

No one seemed to know what to say to this, so Murin spoke up. "Sah?"

William looked back and forth between Jenny and the stranger, his eyes stopping on the would be lad. "This one here is three weeks removed from a meal and two days removed from a grave..." he began again, then turned to Jenny. "...and yet...you seem well fed, healthy, clothed, but for a departure from the fashion, and you must have some specie about you to pay for passage aboard a privateer."

He paused, and again no one seemed to know what to say to this. William took a seat and leaned in on one elbow. He fixed the two guests with a searching look and pressed on. "The men I hired today came from the prison, so there may very well be some thieves among the lot. I understood that it might be so when I took them aboard. Am I now being asked to take thieves which might be sailors?" he asked, looking at the younger guest.

"Sah, I di'nay ask that the lad be brought aboard as crew. I was ata loss as to wot to do wit im. I could nil call d'guard with Miss Ashcombe bein afeared uv her life. I should uv made m'self clear earlier sha ...I need yer advice."

At this, the lad could finally wait no longer. Knowing it was rude, knowing what he risked if he broke the captain’s already frayed patience, he shakily got to his feet and stood between them. Doing as Miss Ashcombe had done before him, he raised his head and a lock of dark brown hair fell across his forehead as he looked the older man in the eye.

“Ah na’er claimed t’ be a sailor, sah,” he began. “What this lady ha’ tol’ ye is true: out o’ desperation an’ hunger ah attempted to rob her an’ her frien’. Ah ne’ar ment ‘em any harm, sah. Ah learned tah watch deh docks, sah, an’ when a ship puts in to port ah watch deh men what gets off her. Ah’ve got tah be a fair judge o’ men an’ ships, sah. Even deh women aboard yer vessel are treated wit’ respect, sah. As ah tole’ tha lady, sah, ah na’er meant ta’ become a thief. Ah’m not suited for it a’ all, sah, though ah’ve a fair skill wit’ me ‘ands, sah, and a quick study at dat. Ah mean tah work fer me bread, sah, an do me work quick an’ well, as me mum taught me. Yer crews are treated far finer’n most. Tha lady na'er said she'd ask fer me, so ah'm askin' fer meself, sah. Ah’d be proud tah earn a fair wage aboard a ship such as dis’un, sah. An if ah do’na hold up mah end ‘o dah bargain, sah, ye can beat me or shoot me or toss me over the side, sah only please don’t take me back to Martinique tah da guards nor tah beggin an’ stealin.’ Please, sah.”

The lad had said all this in a great rush, half of it nearly unintelligible through a thick Irish accent. Now he stopped, all but panting, eyes never leaving the captain’s face. Just waiting for judgment . . .

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

William listened to all of this with the flat expression of one who has seen ships afire, seas clogged with flotsam and jetsom and a prison or two. He had heard similar pleas, some more fervent and some less. "What's your name, lad?"

"Edward O'Flaherty, sah."

There it was. William had heard it. It was subtle, but it was there. Something in the response itself. Most liars would have paused a split second too long before answering, but Edward responded almost too fast. Even so, William wasn't sure what to make of it.

"Bu' people call m', Ned." Edward added at once.

"What people would there be to call you Ned I wonder, seeing that you are a scarecrow." William pondered aloud, and there followed a long pause. Long enough that everyone wondered what William might ask next, but before Murin, Jenny or even Ned could fill in the silence, William stood up and looked the young vagabond in the face. "Make yourself known to the cook."

Six bells of First Watch

Ned's eyes flew open so wide, it appeared they would fall right out of his narrow face.

"Sah!" he gasped, hardly able to believe his ears. Then, before the captain could change his mind, the skinny youth bolted out the door. Outside, he nearly collided headlong with a passing marine.

"Galley?!" he yelped, dodging at the last second. The marine grunted and pointed in the general direction. Ned was gone, tossing a quick, "Thanks!" over his shoulder, but the man had already moved on.

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

Jenny had been absorbed in the Captain's questioning of the thief whom now had a name...and a position on the ship. Surely it couldn't be that easy. Miss Ashcombe had seen the look in Captain brand's eyes and surmised he saw the lad as naught a threat amongst robust crew. He was eager enough and an extra pair of hands at that.

The door of the Ward room shut after the young fellow exited in a nervous flurry, and the room again fell silent but for the slap of a wave against the hull.. Jenny bit her lip a moment and set her hands in her lap to hide their fidgeting. As she worried the fabric of her shirt unseen, she waited to be addressed as she supposed was proper.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

William sat once again, but this time his expression was softer. Gentle. He smiled friendly enough, but his countenance was still little more than business and trade. "Miss Ashcombe, you will pardon my curiosity, but you have arrived in men's clothing with enough money to pay for passage to the colonies, so I must ask. Will I regret taking you aboard the 'Dog? Will some reprisal follow hard upon if I take you aboard?"

The Captain seemed to soften just a bit in the intimacy of the room which now only held himself and the two women. One in his employ, the other his scrutiny. Despite this, Jenny admired the fact that Captain Brand seemed well able to adjust his demeanor to suit not only those in his presence, but also his need for an honest answer.

It would have done no service for him to threaten a confession from her. Something her uncle as cordial as he could appear, never seemed to master and so suffered the witholding of loyalty and truth that maddened him at times. Jenny placed her hands flat upon her lap and spoke. "Sir, I have been in the employ and residence of a plantation these five years. It has not been an entirely unrewarding life. Thus my ability to pay for my passage. " she paused looking down at her hands now upon the table. Her voice lowered but did not waver. "I am unmarried and have grown despondent of the life here. I wish to leave it. I have family, parents and a brother in the Colonies" As she spoke Jenny's mind stayed a pace ahead of her words, choosing carefully how to proceed. She'd gained much practice in this in dealing with her uncle, who was given to lightning fits of anger at the wrong word or query.

"There are some...." Jenny looked at Murin who nodded slowly that she should go on. She looked up at the Captain who seemed honestly absorbed in her story now and not tinged with the suspicion of moments ago. "who might have me stay. .I am a free woman, the daughter of a farmer come from Europe who sent me here. " Jenny again looked away and her fingers whitened slightly as they pressed into the polished wood of the table "Though some would treat me differently and not well, not well a'tall"

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

William lifted the bottle and poured three drinks, but not before asking each if they would imbibe. When the glasses were filled a third full and passed to his guests, he leaned a little in his chair and waited while they sipped before he continued.

"We are bound for colonies only after we have gone to Trinidad, which takes you further from them first. It is likely that we will be employed, and thereby contracted to that course, so our interests aside...we cannot go to the colonies first." William waited while this information settled upon Miss Ashcombe before continuing. "There are women in my employ, or rather, there are women aboard ship in their own employ, as it is with every able bodied man aboard ship, but we are not a merchant vessel. We are not a ship of war. We are a privateer filled with some men who were before now desperate, dangerous and sought by governments for their crimes. Myself included. You might purchase passage aboard the Watch Dog only to discover yourself hunted by navies of every nation in time. The courts are not kind, even to women."

Several emotions crossed Jennys thoughts as he spoke. She glanced quickly at Murin, some of the more complex pieces falling into place now that she knew the nature of the Watch Dog and it's companion the Heron.

At once comforted that this was no ship of innocents thus perhaps lessening the importance of her own situation, she was also unsettled at his frank description. One which bore little or no promise of protection from many ills which could befall her within or without his ship's company. Yet there were women. 8 she believed according to what Murin had told her. Women who to her knowledge stayed voluntarily aboard now that the ship was at anchor when they could have escaped were the life unfit. She drank the wine finding it surprisingly smooth. Another curiosity given the tales of rough men at sea whos drink was equally coarse. The men her uncle had surely sent..the amount of the specie still secreted upon her person, would surely bring her closer to that which Jenny thought she was to suffer earlier. There was no reversing what she had done. Life aboard, though the journey may be longer to the Colonies, had no immediate guarante of the peril which surely awaited her should she stay. "Captain, what price do you ask? for passage with you then. My only haste is in leaving , not arriving" Jenny was surprised in the truth of her own statement which she realized was in agreeance with her desire to leave, as well as her lack of desire to make the Colonies her final destination. This she would not reveal for now, it bore more thought. For now she sought only sanctuary in the form of an answer.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

"Sah,ifin ah may?" William looked to the lass and nodded. "Jon-ve-evs uncle is a man uv means an nil wonts er t'leave. E as likely already sent men lookin fer er. She ken nil stay wit a man wot gives er such treatment as evidence on er face sah. Wot ship ken a woman travel alone on? Wot dangers she faces ere are no worse den wot she may face on a "more respectable" type vessel sah."

William sipped his drink a moment and then set the glass aside. The idea that this woman should ask him to set the price, knowing who and what they all were, was a telling thing which spoke volumes. He smiled then and wondered who was the more dangerous passenger. The outspoken thief who seemed to confess all or this woman with her unspoken truths. And Murin's added information only gave William pause, for the idea of a 'man of means' sending payed men, even mercenaries looking for Miss Ashcombe did not advance her cause. Such men might beat any one of his men or women ashore in the pursuit of information leading to her return. What might they not do to get what they wanted if rewarded handsomely enough?

He drained the last of his glass.

"We have no place for passengers, but the surgery, Miss Ashcombe. Miss McDonough will see you comfortably stowed there for the night. I will consider on the matter. For now, you are a guest aboard the Watch Dog and you may consider yourself such."

A chill went through Miss Ashcombe. Partly of relief at the offer of sanctuary for the night, which she hoped would become permanent for the voyage. Partly for what she saw betrayed as a flicker of recognition across his face at Murin's words. The lass had meant only to help, but Jenny feared she may have tipped the scales and revealed too much. However the Captain would have surely asked. Jenny would also be less protected if they were visited upon by an unexpected search party. More likely to be given over for the danger caused by deceipt.

She looked in earnest at the Captain. "Merci..Thank you sir. I can assure you Miss McDonough will attest to my character. You are most kind. I will await eagerly your answer." Not knowing of it was proper to stand before the Captain himself rose, she waited.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

The formalities of parting were both genuine and awkward as William saw them to the door. He was grateful to be alone then, for he was weary from the matters of that day, and he would have retired if not for another matter yet to be resolved. He considered fetching a clean glass, but grabbed up a used one along with his own and headed topside to the quarterdeck where he found Eric staring into the dark. Eric turned about when he arrived and William pressed a glass into his hand and filled it before the man could do little but acknowledge him. Then, raising his own glass William proposed a toast in the simplest of terms.

"To the Master-at-Arms of the Watch Dog." he said, and drained it dry.

Tudor Smith, who was standing hard by, smiled, though she only thought that she understood the toast.

After exiting the Ward Room, her stomach still churning, her limp still apparent, Miss McDonough escorted Miss Ashcomb to the Surgery ward. "Miss Meg Wardell es in ere. I tol ya bout er, d'lass wot was attacked." Jenny nodded. Taking a candle from the hall she signaled their guest to keep quiet then opened the door. As expected there was no light lit in the room. Murin took Jenny to the empty cot. Looking at Meg lying in the dark, she could see her open eyes observing the two new comers but just as Murin thought she should introduce the women Meg's eyes snapped shut so Miss McDonough said nothing.

Murin retrieved another candle from the wall and lit it being sure that Jenny knew to put it out before she slept then hobbled out of the room closing the door behind her.

She replaced the candle to the wall in the hallway then as she passed the Galley she peaked in on Ned. Seeing him feasting on cold tack and drinking from a galley tankard she headed out onto the weather deck. The day’s rain was still evident on every surface. One of the new crew passed Murin and smiled, nodding she returned the smile. She looked up to see Treasure in her nest and waved but the lass did not respond. On the Quarterdeck she could make out the forms of Captain Brand and Mister Franklin in conversation, she had hoped to speak with the captain, to apologize or to thank him or something, she just felt that there was something she should say. Murin sighed, and thought back on the strong woman she knew was within her then continued her lame shamble to the hatch, descended the stairs and was soon asleep in a hammock.

The Surgery aboard The Watch Dog

It was a short walk down the Watch Dog's passageway to the Surgery which lay just across from the galley. Murin continued her duty of seeing Jenny secured for the night despite her obvious fatigue and still limping.

As the tailor exited closing the door quietly behind her, Jenny was again grateful for the young woman who continued to surprise her. She sat upon the cot allowing her eyes to adjust to the dim candlelight which flickered off heavy wooden bulkheads and only hinted at various furnishings and a figure sleeping in the shadowed corner. She hugged herself and tried to ease her mind for the second time this night. Going from a bed in the familiar Inn to a cot aboard the ship which she hoped would be her salvation. Either ship. As long as they took her from this place. Too tired to think any longer and realizing she would need her resolve and ability to think clearly in the morning, Jenny blew out the candle and lay back in the cot. As she closed her eyes she thought to call out to Meg and say goodnight, but lay listening to the even sound of the girls breathing and realized had she been, she was likely no longer awake. The swaying of he ship and it's creaking though unfamiliar, was calming and Miss Ashcombe slept.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg