The Watch Dog

William Brand

In the midst of his work, the Captain heard someone hailing his ship. Knowing Mister Brisbane was on deck, he continued his work, until Nigel himself knocked and popped his head in the door.

“Mister Franklin and company are over th’ side. Thought ye’d want ta know.”

“Thank ye, Nigel… Sent ‘em in when they get aboard.”

“Aye cap’n…”

Nigel shut the door and was away as Dorian wrote the last name in the log, gently blew on the page and shut the tome. He organized the papers on the table and brought out a bottle from the cabinet. Not knowing how many were in Mister Franklin’s party, he waited to bring out any glasses. Looking about the cabin, he was satisfied it was ready for his unannounced guests.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric and Luc made their way aboard the Heron. Handshakes and news was passed about as several of the crew had not talked with Eric since their departure from the Watch Dog. More than one of the crew had met someone ashore that was worth mentioning in guarded tongues. Luc laughed as he recognized the names, and Eric was sure not to visit those women ashore.

The two men made their way to the wardroom and knocked sharply on the door. The sergeant-at-arms did not wait for a reply but breached the door and peered inside to the see the Captain pouring a glass from an unmarked bottle.

"Cap'n Lasseter sah..." The quartermaster of the Watch Dog was in mid sip before he could acknowledge the crewmen from the Watch Dog. A wave of his hand bade the men entrance. "Sah. Beggin' ye pardon sah, but orders from Captain Brand gave 's a bit o' work t' do. New recruits 'r aboard the Dog sah, an'..." Before Eric could finish, Dorian Lasseter put his hand up and spoke,

"Gentlemen, please," Dorian offered the bottle to which he filled two glasses, as well as his own. Eric and Luc both nodded towards the Captain and Luc leaned his musket against the larboard bulkhead. The Captain offered two seats at the table and the men joined him.

"Thankee sah." Eric drove a long drink down. Emptying the glass, he suddenly realized his trip to the Heron was twofold. He had never discussed the new arms delivered to the Heron. "Nigel said y' recieved th' small arms sah." Eric opened the satchel and removed the Armoury Log. Captain Lasseter sipped easily as the log was opened to the last entry. A dogeared letter fell to the floor as the ledger passed hands.

"Sah, I..." Eric placed his glass quickly on the table as he tried to interrupt Dorian as he picked up the letter and opened it. Eric could read the Captain's eyes as they scanned the first few lines.

12 March 1704

Preston,

It pains me to deliver this to you in ink, but alas son, we know not where you have been for the last few years. Word reached us you have been seen in the Carib and we have sent this post haste with Mister Claiborne in hopes of finding you.

Your mother has taken gravely ill. I have resigned my commission to be with her in her last moments. Mister Nickerson has done all he can and can do no more but to make her comfortable.

She is in God's hands now. Pray for her Preston.

Your Father,

Col. Thaddeus Ellerry Whitingford

Eric exhaled heavily.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Captain Lasseter read the old letter and looked up at Mister Franklin. He said not a word as he placed the parchment back into the log book. Acting as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened, he read the log entries and nodded.

"Aye Mister Franklin, th' arms are as per. Very good. As fer th' new recruits, Cap'n Brand sent me a list of those men I'll have aboard, along with th' shares from th' Maastricht. I trust his eye on their worth."

Dorian Sat back and took a sip of his drink.

"What other news have you? Please, feel free ta talk. You too Mister... Otkupschikov..."

Luc smiled slightly as Captain Lasseter did a fine job pronouncing his name.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Le Chateau Anse - Martinique

The latch clicked and some small part of Jenny released and allowed the bolts tension to assume the place of her own. She felt safe. By some small measure.. and no small fortune to have come upon the loyalty and friendship marked in so little time with Murin, Mister Wenge and those others she had made aquaintance of from the two ships. She sat on the edge of the bed and spoke a creole prayer of thanks learned from the slaves at the plantation. It was a few simple words Jenny had oft heard them utter when granted a reprieve, be it from work, the weather or their masters ire. In short time a plate of meat cheese and some wine was delivered as promsed and she took care to eat slowly. Tried to think of nothing but the taste of the food and the sound of the rain which had lightened. Tried to clear her mind and calm her whole and tired self. Eventually the warmth of the room, the quiet of the rain and the wine conspired to bring sleep. Miss Ashcombe slept a deep and thankfully dreamless slumber.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

London, England

Tobias Johnson was not a happy man. He had just received a letter from his Lordship requesting that he make an appearance tomorrow at three o’clock in the afternoon. Tobias took off his spectacles and wiped them with his kerchief. Putting them back on his large protruding nose, he reread the letter again. Shaking his head he sat down behind his desk. His lordship was not a man to trifle with and he feared what instructions his lordship had for him.

From a decanter on his desk he poured a liberal amount of smuggled brandy in to his goblet. Taking a drink and sitting back in his chair, he picked up another letter that he received and began reading it. Shaking his head he put the parchment down. He pursed his lips as he wondered about the importance of the young woman both men sought to find. This venture could become very lucrative or very deadly depending on how he played both of his lordships.

The clock struck the hour as Tobias finished his brandy. Standing up, he stretched his ample frame. Picking up a candle he made his way up the stairs to find his bed. Morning would come soon enough and he needed his rest. Aye, he needed his rest so that his wits were sharp when meeting with his lordship the following afternoon.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Luc didn't have much to say. He let his feelings known to Mister Franklin and he felt that was enough. He offered some banal conversation, mostly interjecting on few of the Sergeant-at-arms discussion points.

Eric stood as he finished his glass and bowed slightly.

"Thankee for th' drink, sah. We're t' town t' see Mister Pew, an' enlist the new marines roster. Mayhaps actually 'ave them take a shot 'afore long. 'aven't drilled since we 'rrived 'n Martinique sah."

Dorian Lasseter smiled and nodded.

"Aye gents, dinnnot let me stand 'n th' way o' ye then. Off y' go. Give Mister Pew me best, aye?" Both men nodded. The Captain of the Heron offered his hand as each man readied himself to go. Handshakes passed, Luc opened the door and waited for Eric to pass closing the door behind himself. The men spent a few moments on deck before they rejoined the oarsmen in the jollywatt. A slight shove from the Heron and they were on their way to town again.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

August 1 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Rummy introduced Mister Greene at the galley, but was surprised to find the ship's cook in a mood she had never seen before. Lazarus was polite, but brief. He did not extend his usual, casual friendliness to the new recruit, but offered him a steaming bowl of fare which more than made up for any curtness on his part. Rummy did not press the cook with questions, but simply steered Jonah away and below.

"He seems..." Jonah began, but Rummy shook her head before he could finish.

"That is not typical of the climate over our cook." she explained.

Jonah simply nodded affably and complimented the fare itself, eating as they walked. Rummy lead him, bowl in hand, to steerage where she kept her things and the compliment of the ship's carpentry tools aboard ship. While Jonah ate, she explained what tools she had come by since coming aboard at La Desirade. Most of the tools were old, but Rummy had hand picked every one of them for their use and the care that their previous owners had given them. She had also purchased a number of new tools at Margarita and taken a full third of the Maastricht's tools when the fluyt was looted. The rest, she explained, had gone over to the Heron.

"Has the Heron a carpenter?" Jonah asked.

"Aye." Rummy returned. "A Mister Alder Wenge. Capital fellow...recently a captive of that same ship, though his position as carpenter there or here may still be in question."

"I see. Am I to understand that my position as a carpenter may also be in question?"

Rummy shrugged. "That is a question for the Captain, but my departure from the frigate is imminent. You should know that Mister Hawks and I will be going shore, there to remain, so your opportunities will broaden within a few days."

"May I ask...why leave here?"

Rummy said nothing and she smiled several times after without beginning. She replaced a large auger in the casement she had made for it, fetching up a satchel of tools. Then she stood, still smiling, though she didn't answer his question. Instead she said, "Any man or woman forward can see you to a hammock until your position aboard is secured. I must inspect the bilge. Welcome aboard, Mister Greene."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

She had long since resumed her seat upon the coiled rope and had wrung what she could out of her wet clothes and long braid and now played with Argus and the toy that had been made for him. Yelping as he bit into the toy, and two of her fingers she dropped the toy and looked up as Mr. Hawks said the Captain wished to speak with her in the ward room. She blinked up at him noting his bag and wondered if he were leaving for shore and slowly rose and motioned for Argus to sit and stay.

Confused about why she was to be seen she made her way below and knocked firmly upon the door. As Captain Brand called enter she slowly opened the door and stepped within shutting the door quietly behind her. “Sir.” She said hesitantly and tugged upon her forelock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

August 1, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Just prior to first bell of the First Watch

William was stepping out of the officer's head off the quarter galley as Miss Tribbiani entered the Ward Room. They exchanged certain formal greetings and he invited her to sit while he found her name in the ledger. Treasure crossed the room carrying some of the weather across the floor with her before taking a chair. William sat at his accustomed spot, bent over the large book before him. He ran a finger back and forth across the lines of tally marks and calculations.

Outside, a shimmer of lightning, which had touched down somewhere on the southern edge of the Cul du Sac Royal, greased its way through the shuttered windows. This was followed in short order by a significant boom which rolled over the bay and into the foothills and jungle beyond St. Louis and the fort.

"Marvelous weather." William said without looking up.

"Aye, sah." she returned, unsure if he was joking or not. Marvelous was not the word which most of the men were using aboard ship at present.

"We'll have replenished all of our fresh water stores with no more effort than a gambol." he added, still tracing his hand down the ledger. "Ahhh...here we have it. Your portion of the elephant, Miss Tribbiani. Bought, butchered and baked."

~Larboard Watches on Duty~

Again surprise lit her mien for truly she had forgotten the shares were to be divided. In truth she was not really sure what she would even do with her shares. She had no family besides her brothers and sisters she served with. She watched his finger follow the book and pause upon her name and as lightning flashed again and thunder rolled she drew her attention from his finger and to the shutters then back to him.

“Shares sir? I had completely forgotten to be honest.” She regarded him her face serious, eyes still and watchful for once. "Im not sure what to do with it."

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

"Do...?" William returned, amused and perhaps a little surprised. "I should think you shall...eat, drink and be merry. There is a rumor going about ship that 'Tomorrow we die'." he said in a rather glib manner.

"I shouldn't like that at all." she admitted.

"Neither should I?" he agreed, smiling. "But perhaps, and I say this with all soberness, you might consider a place ashore."

She stilled suddenly her gaze upon his wondering at his statement. “Ashore Sir?” She felt panic sweep through her, she had nothing else but what was here and now on the WatchDog. “Am I not serving well Sir?”

William filled a heavy glass and slid it across the table to her. He smiled then, quietly, shaking his head. "The suggestion is not a reflection of your service, but an honest one, based on your gifts as a woman, not a sailor. You have a voice wasted on the sea. Sirens are shore creatures, tied to the sea only by...well...I do not know what."

"I like it here." She said, and her voice still had a certain something to it that made William continue.

"I know that you do. I like it to. Heaven help us both." He smiled, as did she, and he gestured to the glass which she had not untouched. "Rummy is going ashore."

"Aye, sah. It's been...whispered about the ship."

William shook his head. "That whoever of the Company shall breed a Mutiny or Disturbance..." he began, smiling. "You asked me what you might do with your share." he said, pointing at her.

She sipped the amber liquid tentatively and felt it slide through her warming her. Lashes swept low mulling over his words., Then she raised them, showing a fire within her eye “My place is here sir. A voice can be damaged, my looks will fade, and I do not think I could ever marry. I know what my mother went through, I watched my step father kill my half brother.” Her voice turned hard, cold. “I will not be any mans chattel sir. You saved me and gave me a place. My loyalty is with you and the WatchDog.” She sipped again and nibbled her lower lip then spoke more softly. “The songs are for my own pleasure and whoever else may derive pleasure from them. I thank you for you acknowledgement of the song earlier. But at this time I am not ready to leave. Not because I seek more wealth, or adventure. This is my home sir.”

"Steady on, Treasure." he said, dropping his usual formality. He reached out and patted her hand and whispered confidentially, "It was meant only as a suggestion. No more. No less." he smiled again then, and as he began to lean away he suddenly leaned back in again. "The ward room is just a ward room. Not a confessional."

She could see the mirth in his face now. That scoundrel's smile that was more often seen on the Kate than the 'Dog. It was subtle. Impish. He leaned back in his chair and sipped his drink.

"You'll marry."

"I doubt that very much, sah." she assured him, but he pressed on, undaunted.

"Six or seven times at least." he mused aloud.

"Six or seven...?" she looked appalled at the idea.

"At least. A pirate mistress. You shall have a good Dutchman. All in black. Severe. That will be your first husband. You'll keep him in Manhattan where he will trade in brocades and fine silks for you while you keep the other six husbands in various, other ports." She raised her eyebrows and he pressed forward. "That Spanish lieutenant, on the Navarra, you'll keep him at Trinidad..."

She began to laugh with understanding and her own mien reflected his and she shook her head slowly “Then I had best began the courtships, The lieutenant is nearby, I shall have to work hard to charm him and bring him to heel.” She teased. Then she sobered slightly and sipped from the glass again relaxing in his prescence and with the aid of the drink.

“Speaking of the Navarra sir, they still watch us keenly with their glass, should we be concerned?”

August 1, 1704 - Ward Room of the Watch Dog

"No." he said simply. "And yes."

A knock came at the door then and Mister Gage put his head in at the door. He was carrying a tray of mixed fare and William waved him in. Lazarus looked tired and William asked after him and the galley. Lazarus understated his mood as easily as William had the weather. He set the tray down and informed the Captain that the recruits were all fed.

"Very good, Mister Gage." The cook made to leave, but William called him back, handing him a heavy laden purse. The cook's mood changed noticeably and he went out of the room a bit improved. "I predict two inns. One in England and one in the colonies, with a ship to sail between them."

First bell of First Watch

Amused she watched Mr. Gage leave and smiled widely as William made his prediction. “Aye Sir..Two indeed. And he sets a most excellent table. I have always thought so.”

“So about the Navarra, what should we look for or be concerned with? And need I work on the courtship with the Lieutenant sooner rather than later? He is easy on the eyes and pretending intrest would not be a hardship.” William had given her a place, she would put her background to use if it was necessary.

August 1, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

William raised a solitary eyebrow. "I wouldn't court the Lieutenant just yet." he began carefully. "The Navarra, like any other ship of her kind, is a merchant ship first and last. She and those aboard her are bound by coin...first and last. I imagine that their interests are purely mercenary." he paused a moment, for Treasure's interest seemed to redouble. "No..." he laughed. "...that was a poor choice of words. What I mean to say is this, Capitán Avendano wants his cargo to reach the destinations it is intended for unharmed. He respects the fact that we are a privateer of questionable loyalties sitting at anchor just off his starboard quarter. He may, as it has been surmised by those of us who dined with him yesternight, be considering an alliance which mutually benefits the 'Dog and the Navarra."

Understanding lit her eyes and she nodded her head sipping yet again and savoring the taste of the liquid. “Well that makes sense, though I am still not sure I trust them, what is to keep them from turning on us, or turning us over once they are safe?”

She tilted her glass studying the play of light on the liquid, her thoughts in seemingly every direction at once. ‘If you ever need such a service, I would not refuse. Afterall it was my training, and though I have yet to perfect such, I am sure it would not be too difficult.” She knew how her words could be construed, and it was not all and sundry she was announcing such to, but her Captain. She debated the words after they left her tongue but knew she would not take them back. She tilted her chin, the bruise gleaming dully upon her cheek, “I would do that for you and for the WatchDog.”

William didn't say anything. He might have said much, and there was much to say, but he didn't. Instead, he raised his glass to her a little in a toast without words and she answered in kind. Then his eyes fell on the food.

"Take some of this." he implored in good humor, and before she could refuse he filled a plate. "There..." he said, as he passed it to her, but he paused.

"Sah?" she questioned, for whatever thought had come to him then changed his face. His smile lost some if its humor. He set the plate down.

"Argus."

"Sah?"

"We've not had time to speak of him since he came aboard. Have you considered what might happen should we find ourselves adrift or without sufficient wind in some desperate hour?"

She took the plate of food and glanced at it but nibbled here and there as she debated how best to answer. “I wanted to speak with you on that as well as another issue. You said he would be a trial run and he has been well behaved and he knows some commands given by hand. I figured it was best if I trained him so in case you did let him stay on, and if we needed him to attack or whatever it would be better to give him a command unheard by another. Stealth seemed the way to go, however I see your point as well and even though I have grown greatly attached to him, I will abide your decision.”

She sat within the chair and her fingers drifted over a piece of cheese and she toyed with it before putting it to her lips and then chewing. “I also wanted your opinion…” She brought her free hand up as if to toy with something that was not there..”I was hoping it would not be amiss to wear a cross on duty sir.”

She was unsure what he would say about Argus and as much as she loved the dog she knew William had to do right by all on board..be it animal or man. About the cross, well she would soon find out the answer to both.

"I cannot imagine a cross being amiss in Catholic Martinique, but that aside, my concern for Argus is this...he will soon grow to such a size as to rival Manus or Robert. He will not gladly except hard tack and a rum ration. He will likely eat much more flesh than anyone aboard and consume more in fresh water than we can reasonably afford. In short, he will cost us, perhaps dearly."

"I understand, sah...I"

William waved her off. "I just need to be sure that you can except the finer points of Argus being at sea if we should find ourselves adrift in...desperate choices."

"I think so, sah."

"Argus would become less important then, except perhaps as food." she didn't say anything to this. What could anyone say? It was the sobering realism of a life at sea, where water and food or the lack of either could make the future beautiful and unchartered, or horrible. "If I may amend my suggestion regarding your shares..."

"Of course, sah."

"Consider the purchase of some additional stores. A goat perhaps. Chickens. Supplies against that unexpected day."

She gave him a slow and steady smile, one that this time was more than genuine and lit her face. “I have done so already Sir. As we had not talked and Argus was still with us, I did take the liberty on my last visit to order him some rations. It will arrive on the morrow. But only if you are sure, I will understand if he cannot remain and perhaps we should let all vote on the matter. That way no man or woman can later say he is being favored. I would hate for someone to say that because he is a dog we favor him more than human life if we run low of water or victuals.”

She paused in her words, her gaze reflective “As for the cross sir, I thank you, I miss mine, the night you rescued me it was taken. I will look for one when next I am ashore.” She sipped again and dug into her food with relish, not a meek and mild miss with a bird’s appetite, she ate with gusto and yet retained her manners from years of training that did not go amiss.

"Argus may remain, but the trial remains. If he should not learn to keep his bark I shall send him ashore. I'll not have him give warning to our enemies at sea. I'll not permit him to wake those who sleep in turn after a day's work. And I won't abide a din from him when so many others keep their tongues."

"I understand, sah. I'll make him a quiet dog."

"Then we have an accord, Miss Tribbiani. Take the plate and send in the next sailor."

"I will, sah. Thank you sah."

She gathered up the plate and made to leave. As she was passing out through the door he added, "Please see to it that Mister Argus is introduced to the rats aboard."