The Watch Dog

William Brand

Aboard the Watch Dog

Many of the crew had begun to befriend the giant Russian. The name "Otter" had been overheard once or twice while trying to gain the man's attention.

Before she had gone ashore, the "otter" had explained to Tudor Smith that he was a cooper in previous trades. A smile formed on her lips as the name did not match the the size of the man before her now. Luc's story of how he saved two small children while fighting a rapid current lent creedance to the moniker. Miss Smith smiled and continued her agenda. He was to report to Alder Wenge to assist him in small repairs and simple maintenance while still at anchor in Cul de Sac Royal. It was there he could find the tools and supplies he would need while on board.

Luc had just finished his early supper and made his way on deck. The temperature had dropped slightly and the air smelled like rain. Luc wasn't the only one to sense this as well. A few of the crew had begun to string the tarred canvas over the where the ships longboat's lie. With his height he was able to easily rig the tarps where other crew needed a extra step up. Even though it was still well before dusk, the sky began to darken. Several of the shaded lanterns were coming to life splaying their amber glow about the deck.

Jean Doublet helped to light the lanterns on board and even joined the officer of the watch on the quarterdeck. Jim Warren introduced himself and both men soon found themselves sharing a pipe and discussing the fastest way to reach St Barthelemy without having to grind themselves on the shoals surrounding Guadeloupe.

"AHOY!!", came a voice from over the side.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isle De Generosite Plantation ~ Dusk

Jenny Ashcombe placed the quill back on it's rest and shook the blotting dust from the parchment. Laying it aside, she drew the coin from her pocket and held it in the last of the evening's light. She noticed how it's now polished surface stood out against the tan of her skin. Island life had changed Jenny's appearance. Her hair was lightened in places by the sun, framing her face in ringlets of brighter hue. Despite the cover of proper dress, she'd escaped the restriction enough that the skin of her arms, legs and face had darkened, lending a smoth and almost polished tone to it. Quite unlike the women back in Europe's cooler and misty climes. Island living, she thought, had changed her outward appearance as events in her life had changed her inwardly. Each chapter leaving it's mark and shaping her. Much as a river cuts slowly, it's indelible signature into the surrounding land.

She put the coin securely back upon her person and walked to a low chest on the opposite wall. Jenny moved aside the small trove of personal items kept herein and lifted out a parcel wrapped in parchment and twine. As she ran a finger along the string which secured it, she considered fate making a choice that day with Murin in the chandlers. She had not intended to purchase the clothing within. Jenny Ashcombe smiled as a rush of nervous anticpation washed over her. The small bundle in her hands felt like more than simply a merchant's parcel. It seemed alive. It had pulled at her, urging her to plans both dangerous and seemingly foolish. Foolish or not she thought, a new chapter was about to be written.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

As Alan took the kitten from her and began to stroke it she felt a nudge and looked down and as Argus whimpered rolled her eyes and began to scratch his ears earning her a doggy grin of delight. “You have a talent for strays Treasure, and of course Trouble.” He said eyeing her bruises and as she rose handed the kitten back to her.

She flushed and lowered her gaze to Argus an as the distant sound of thunder rumbled over the sea looked to him and frowned “We better head back, but I must stop first to check on some earlier purchases.” Again he merely nodded and wondered if there had been more to her story than a mere snake for shadows still lingered in her eyes.

Still she nuzzled the kitten and seemed fine and he could not help but speak his mind “I think you could hold your own against any, but just the same im glad the boy and Argus were there.” Again her head whipped up and blue green eyes narrowed and a flash swept through them then was gone leaving her face utterly composed, a mask. She was going to ask how he knew but again his words came forth.

“Your actions, the way you are always on self defense, your constant looking about, it all tells the same story. Im sorry for the bruises, but I am happy you are well.”

She looked away and slowly nodded seeking to further relax her posture in his prescence. “Tis difficult sometimes. My mother was a courtesan, you would think I would be used to such. And yet I find it does not.”

He hid his shock rather well, it detailed much of her, the way she moved, her education and appearance. He had seen whores aplenty, and only once a courtesan and she had stopped many just by a smile. Treasure too had that look, the smile that if she wished to use could have men at her feet, so why was she on the Dog. Instead of answering questions it only added to them and he was now more curious than ever. But hide it he did, her secrets were her own, perhaps he could speak to the captain and learn more of her?

“Aye I too need some things, shall we head back then?” She merely nodded and they moved along in a comfortable silence but the closer she came to town he again made note of her tension, he would not have noticed it either but for spending the day in her company. As they walked along Argus gamboled between them, the kitten lay sleeping in her arms and as they swept past a cobbler she paused and moved back a step..There in the window were the most ridicoulous and yet most wonderful pair of shoes. Square heeled and embroidered, edged with lace and perfect for the other gown she had ordered.

“Oh I have to go in here…I need a few pairs of shoes..and those..” she pointed to them and smiled and could feel his breath catch in his chest. Aye she had a smile, that smile and he could not help but shake his head and tease her “And you will climb the rigging in those?”

“Nay but somewhere I shall wear them and dance the night away..” Then she disappeared into the shop and he followed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

In the Heron's Wardroom

Both men sat a moment and stared into empty glasses, not wish to be refilled. They basked in the knowledge of the richness of the prize now sold. Captain Lasseter looked to the bulkhead and seemed to be whispering to himself. When his eyes came back down, William was giving him an odd look. Dorian smiled.

“Just trying ta calculate shares in m’head… Tryin’ ta remember who left our company an’ who be left ta enjoy th’ wealth. Also wonder who might leave us, once they receive their share…”

William nodded slowly and looked once again into his glass.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

July 31, 1704 - Aboard the Heron

"Leaving out the Dutch and the new men signed aboard here, everyone shall enjoy the Maastricht's departure...but Dinwiddle's share shall go to Paul, I should think. And Thom's...I don't know." William shook his head.

"Th' coffers or th' boys." Dorian offered.

"Aye." William agreed, and he smiled to think of young Patrick or Jean enjoying monumental shares for boys. "I think young Meg may be convinced to take her shares and go ashore. She won't last here."

"Aye..." Dorian agreed, and some private thought made his eyes drift.

"And Rummy and Jonathan..." William added. Dorian looked back at him again. "It seems that our carpenter and blacksmith have become fast friends. They've suggested to me that they may take their shares, both together, and go ashore and seek trades less...threatening."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Dorian smirked.

“Trades less threatenin’ aye? Risk is e’erywhere… I’ll take mine on th’ open waters…”

He walked to the sideboard and opened the cabinet, reviewed all inside and paused. A slight shake of his head and he shut the doors and turned back to William.

“Ah, so be it… to each their own I s’pose…”

Dorian took off his hat and placed it on the table. He sat and wiped his brow with a corner of his neckerchief. Again their was silence between the two men. The Captain of the Heron decided to open a different line of conversation.

“So… I made a decision on this ‘ere vessel… with ‘er new arms an’ all, she needs a new name…”

He waited to see what his brother in arms would say…

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

William said nothing a moment, then opened his hands a little wide as if to say, 'It isn't unexpected'. Then before Dorian could speak, he raised a hand. "It is a short name, certainly. The Heron is not very wide." william said, trying not to smile and failing utterly.

Dorian made a dismissive sound, huffing at William for diminishing the Heron, or whatever she should be called by daylight next. "Shall we race th' two together tomorrow. I'll wager she..."

William covered his mouth while laughing and he shook his head. "No, no. Please...go on."

Dorian looked serious for a moment, then slowly smiled at William.

“Insult me gerl while in ‘er wardroom… “

He too chuckled, then sighed, which turned into a yawn. He shook it off and again stood.

“Aye, a short name, a shortened one actually…. B’fore we leave this port, I plan ta do the change o’ name with all ceremony… should be a fine thing. What say you?”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Aye. Heron is too plain a name by half. She has too much shine for a Heron. Better the Peacock or the Phoenix." William offered, but Dorian was shaking his head. "No...I suppose not. Well, you pick the name and the hour and we'll bury the Heron. She shall disappear from the Earth to be replaced by whatever you make of her."

They returned to the matters of crew and replacements. The idea of losing a Master Carpenter and Blacksmith presented obvious problems, and not ones easily solved in a port only recently befriended. William worried aloud that they would find anything in the Fort Royal prison capable of filling Rummy's shoes, let alone a proper blacksmith, though he admitted that there was something of the anvil in the new Luc Otkupschikov.

Dorian took the opportunity again to voice his desire to have Mister Pew as Quartermaster for the Heron and William rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"I need a carpenter and a blacksmith and you would rob me of a Quartermaster and a Master-at-Arms at once together." William said resigned, but he was not truly bothered by the idea. Mister Pew was a fine choice for the Heron and he said as such. "I can't fault the choice."

"Who will ya have for Quartermaster?" Dorian asked, curious to know of his replacement, if indeed there was such a one.

"You, sah..." William said emphatically. "...for the whole company come what may. There is no replacing you there. But...perhaps Jim for the Watch Dog."

Dorian nodded after a while. He paced the short distance to the stern windows and back.

“Aye… Jim would do well… I have no qualms wi’ that…”

Again he paced the short distance.

“An’ Aye… I had not expected ta relinquish my hold on what I was on th’ Dog… I am still th’ quartermaster there… be hard pressed ta let go o’ some things…”

He smiled and nodded, then continued his short pacing, musing on any other additions to the crew, and shifts of responsibilities.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

First bell of First Dog Watch

William watched him pacing, glad to see someone else mark the short distance of a Ward Room for a change. Then he began offering his own ideas aloud. "You have Weers for a Coxswain or Coxswain's Mate, once you know what to do with Nigel."

"Aye." Dorian agreed.

"Or a helmsmen at the very least." William added.

"He's a strong lad."

They both nodded and William continued. "You might have Mister Wenge again, should the prison bear fruit. He knows the Heron...excuse me...He knows the ship yet to be named much better than the 'Dog."

"He does. Aye."

William was quiet a moment, but then he narrowed his eyes and looked up at once. "You don't mean to ask for Eric Franklin as well...?"

Aboard the Watch Dog

Robert Thatcher and Paul Mooney both moved to the larboard gun'le to peer over the side.

"AHOY THERE", Paul returned.

"WHO'S TH' OFFICER O' TH' WATCH?" cried out the voice.

By this time Jim Warren and Jean Doublet had moved to the railing. "Tis I, Mister Warren," Jim spoke.

"Well then Mister Warren, permission t' board your fine vessel?" Jim could now clearly see the figure of Jacob Badger standing in the bow of the longboat. "I've been relieved of my command as it were."

"Aye, Mister Badger. How is 't with you Bo'sun? Bring us a fortune do ye now?" Even the men on watch could see the smile form on Jacob Badger's face. Although not privvy to the exact amount Captain Brand recieved for selling the Maastricht, he had an idea.

The jollywatt came aside the Watch Dog and those crew formerly serving aboard the Maastricht secured her to the chains. Chatter had begun among those crew on watch and their counterparts now returning to the Watch Dog.

Jim and Jean made their way to the waist and met Jacob Badger with a hearty handshake. Behind the Watch Dog's Bo'sun scurried up Mister Morgan, Louis Morrell and Tjaak Cuylemburch. "John and Jerrod should be aboard by nightfall. They were securing the last of our weapons and supplies we had aboard the Maastricht," Jacob explained. Jim nodded and introduced Jean. Polite conversation was made, and Jim and Jacob moved back to holy ground. Jean knew when privacy between officers was warranted and decided to lend a hand in offloading the jollywatt of what crates and small barrels had been aboard the Maastricht. Jim Warren called from above for Little Jean to fetch a plate of victuals and a tankard for the Bo'sun. "Aye sah!" replied the young boy. Jim repeated the order but for the returning crew to see Mister Gage and partake in an early supper.

Little Jean scurried down the ladder stairs to find Pierre right where he left him, sifting the pistol powder. He grabbed the younger boy by his shoulder and hustled him to the galley.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

July 31, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

John Mcginty and Jerrod Styles returned to the 'Dog shortly after the others and much sooner than expected. Jim Warren caused the two men to draw lots the moment they arrived for the purpose of sending one of them back again along with Paul Mooney, there to guard the Masstricht through the last night that she lay under their charge. Jerrod drew the lot which was to send him back again, and he and Paul were hustled to the head of the line forming at the galley so that they could return at once.

While they ate, Jean Dorleac begged Mister Warren the boon of going aboard the Maastricht with the marines. He was anxious to show the prize ship to Pierre, who looked anxious to see it also.

"If you wish to remain on the 'Dog during your leave, that is your business, Mister Dorleac, but the Maastricht is property of different nature." Mister Warren explained, and Jean excepted this at once, thanking the Coxswain. Jim was so pleased to see Jean acquiesce to command authority without question, that he could not help smiling. "You may take Pierre to the fluyt until the end of Second Dog Watch. Then you must return forthwith."

"Aye, aye, sah." Jean returned, saluting, and he elbowed Pierre. Pierre snapped off a similar salute just before Jean dragged him away.

2 bells of First Dog Watch

~Starboard Watches on Duty~

Anxious to begin on a project he viewed of such magnitude, Alder had finished his work in double-time, increasing his pace at the expense of flesh and fatigue, but not of detail. Setting right his tools, he reported his accomplishment to Mister Warren who; noting such, delivered to Alder’s hand the document from Captain Lasseter.

“Get yer gear tagether lad n we’ll see ya ta shore” the coxswain offered to the obviously distracted carpenter.

Images of figureheads and carving strategies vied for attention with the directive from Mister Warren. Alder knuckled his forelock in respect to the Coxwain and took his leave to inspect the contents of the note and inventory his carving tools.

Mister Warren looked on amused, uncertain if the preoccupied carpenter would walk square off the deck; much less find his way to the crated figurehead.

Staggering thoughts and steps drew his path toward the trove of supplies he had ferreted aboard the Watch Dog. Alder sat aside his tool chest and glanced at the wax and impression that sealed Captain Lasseter’s note. His own name leapt from the leaf. Curious, in his excitement, he had not even notice the writing. It was unlike him to neglect such obvious detail, but there it was “Mister Alder Wenge, Carpenter.” A confirmation of self and stature emblazoned in ink and now in mind. Satisfaction flooded Alder’s expression as he resumed his study of the page. The Captain commanded a powerful script, with flourish enough to reflect good breeding, and clarity enough to fulfill its mission. Alder slipped two fingers ‘neath the overlay careful not to slash the page as he ceremoniously split the seal and absorbed the text that ensued.

Satisfied with the missives directive, the carpenter rolled his knives, gouges and chisels into a tight bundle and tied them well. Any manner of tool he might need, he seized from his collection with the understanding that others may be acquired ashore. Aye, he would be leaving the Watch Dog and remain ashore until the task was completed. The carpenter paused to considered alliances, character and skill of fellow crew. Given the size of the task, Captain Lasseter left open the option to select a crewmember to accompany him ashore.

After careful deliberation, Robert Thatcher’s name came to mind. If he could be spared, Robert would make an ideal candidate. Brawn would indeed be desired for this undertaking. Though not quite as tall as Alders six-foot frame, Robert had been challenged by the likes of sea and of Tawny and in both, Mister Thatcher proved the victor. Alder also admired the character of this man whom he had overheard proudly regaling an adage of his late father along with tales of the trade he imparted to his heir. In practice, Robert’s wielding of knives lay testimony to the gift of carving of leather and flesh alike.

“Mister Thatcher” I’ve need of yer abilities for many a day ashore on ah task for Captain Lasseter, Would ya be willing ta join me?” entreated the carpenter.

Robert smiled, delighted by the opportunity, though the two had not shared as many words “Aye, lad, I wod.”

“Wanted tah be sure it’d be right with yea b’fore I cleared it w’ Mister Warren. Alder added.

“Ave tah geht mah gear n. . .” he paused, then reflected in a flash “n. . .Mister Wenge, yall be needin’ ah pistol. . .” Thatcher’s continued, his voice trailing the body that had already sprung to action.

Robert’s initiative affirmed Alders selection; he had not even considered the necessity of armament. Aye, alongside this able seafarer, the carpenter would learn a thing or two from his cohort even as he shared his trade.

His gear strapped to his frame, Alder returned toward the Coxwain, but not before making rudimentary drawings of the Heron’s bowsprit, her rake and reference points. Measurements would follow, in good time.

As daylight waned, Alder longed to lay eye and hand on the beauty that awaited him onshore, when the vision of another beauty came to mind. Since his return to Watch Dog and duty, the opportunity to unravel his misgivings with the tailor had not presented itself. He wondered if they would before ships assignments were to be made.

Alder.jpg

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Twain

July 31, 1704 - The Cul du Sac Royal

William and Dorian continued to discuss new recruits aboard the Heron. Dorian spoke of Jack and Adam and William's remarks fell on Jean and Luc. They spoke of everything from coxswains to cooks and back again, eventually taking their discussion to the weatherdecks in order to examine the newly placed guns. Then, what started as a short walk in the open air became a tour of the Heron from stem to stern, above and below.

When they reached the area which served as a galley they found a bewildered looking Callie trying to pass herself off as a ship's cook. William thought of Tjaak Cuylemburch aboard the Maastricht then, but decided to mention him at a later time.

. . .

Back aboard the Watch Dog, the longboat crew was put to task, this time transporting the two marines and the powder monkeys across to the Maastricht before ferrying Alder and Robert ashore for the night. By the time they made landfall the First Dog Watch was nearly over. The longboat crew lingered for a time at the docks to rest themselves before rowing back again. In the interim they purchased the last of the unsold bread from a street peddler and bought two well fattened chickens to take with them to the 'Dog.

It was while here that they chanced to strike up a conversation with a Paul de Lannel, a dockside laborer who delighted in the news of the Watch Dog and her need for able seaman. Monsieur Lannel proved to be an amiable fellow, quick to laugh and honest enough to admit that he had little experience at sea. Still, his English proved to be passable, and while he could answer few of the questions put to him in regards to the duties of an able seamen, he promised to learn quickly and he looked strong enough for the work. In the end the longboat crew promised to make him known to the Captains. He cemented their promises by fetching each of them a drink from a nearby alehouse.

They were surprised and doubly devoted to his recruitment by the time they returned to their oars.

4 bells of First Dog Watch

Second Dog Watch Begins

The time had passed quickly since Tudor had come ashore, every moment filled with runnig errands. After spending entirely too much time in the jewlers shop then she was comfortable with, she emerged with a set of pearl and amythist necklaces and bracelets that were exquisite, expensive and entirely unremarkable and impossible to differentiate from any other strands of pearls. Jewelry was to easy to use to recognise, and was best kept generic looking in Tudor's opinion. After use at the planned dinner, this set would not be seen for years to come. She then traced her steps back to collect the gowns and undergarments previously purchased at the tailors.

After seeing that some personal dispatches were sent out by dependable courriers, she made her way towards the pier, eager to return to the ship.

July 31, 1704 - The Cul du Sac Royal

The longboat crew was not fifty yards from shore when Miss Smith hailed them back again. They came about and returned to the docks to find a Steward burdened with parcels. Patrick helped her down into the boat and she settled herself among them, ignoring the many smiles they gave her, for it was fast becoming a joke among the men that only the captains and the women ever returned to the ship so heavy laden.

As they rowed again to the Watch Dog, Louis Morrell turned to Miss Smith and asked, "Are them more skirts fer Mister Press's shirts?"

There were several chuckles at this, for it was widely known below decks that Tudor had once made Harold Press a fine shirt of one of her old dresses. Harold had not flaunted this fact, but the idea that an able seaman should wear a ladies skirts for working sleeves had so amused some of the other men, that he could never wear it without them jeering him for it.

"Mind your rowing, Mister Morrell." she returned, shaking her head. "Three days ashore and no new jokes...?" she added.

Patrick snorted and Louis nodded with a smirk, unable for the moment to find a well turned comeback. When he did finally open his mouth to speak again she cut him off, saying, "You may purchase and then piss away your profits from our ventures, gentlemen, but I shall only add to mine."

This caused no small uproar of appreciative remarks, for the men admired a good jab, even at their own expense. They were soon laughing as they rowed, returning from time to time to the subject of 'pissing away profits'. Even Tudor laughed a little, hard pressed not to.

She only sobered again when they passed within a stone's throw of the Navarra. She was quiet from there to the 'Dog.

Miss Murin McDonough stood at the rail watching the sky darken for some time after she had bid those on the longboat farewell. She and the Alder Wenge had managed to meet and make arrangements to speak of matters weighing on her mind; some of the same matters were indeed on his mind.

The days light had begun to fade forcing the women in the surgery to put away their work until the morrow. Meg had enjoyed the company that day so much that she allowed Murin to convince her to venture into the Galley for a bite. Meg was a little apprehensive but logically she knew the ship was safe and her crew mates would all understand. However as the moments ticked past she could not keep herself calm, they were all looking at her, whispering about the attack that she could not clear from her mind. Then thoughts of Tawny began to invade her mind and she excused herself before the two ladies had found a seat. Murin followed Meg back to the surgery, plate in hand, but the lass would not talk. She sat on the cot holding her knees, starring at the shadows on the wall. Murin tried to talk to her but got no response. Then Meg just turned to her and stated emphatically “Leave me alone. Just leave me alone!” Murin tarried but Meg would not have her there. “GO!” The girl glared at Miss McDonough. Murin lifted her plate and left the ward feeling a bit unsure of what to do. She entered the galley again and to her delight the carpenter was just about to take his seat. She smiled a sheepish smile at him and he flashed her an understanding one in return and indicated she seat herself on the bench beside him. Miss McDonough hesitated a moment as she looked around the room for Nathan Bly but did not see him. He had been avoiding her and having him see her near the carpenter would not help the situation.

Earlier in the day when she had need to focus her eyes away from the stitching at hand so she filled a tankard with some fresh water and went looking for her friend. She found the lad and approached gingerly from behind. “Natan?” His movement ceased and his body tensed visibly but he did not turn. He then continued his work. “Natan.” He ignored her and her heart sunk. She truly liked the lad and wanted to mend the friendship “Naten, I’m surry!” She paused but he would not budge, “Please, tawk t’mae!” He took a step away and continued his work. “Fine!” Murin sat the tankard within his reach with a thump and a splash, “As you wish Mister Bly!” She spun away leaving the tankard for the man. Hours later she returned, Nathan was gone but the tankard remained exactly where she had placed it the water now warmed by the sun.

Murin looked around the galley once more before taking a seat, not too near the man who made her heart race, Mister Alder Wenge.

“Miss McDonough.” He began formally. What to say to the lass here. There was much to discuss but this was not the place.

“Mister Wenge.” She replied equally, not knowing how to proceed.

“How has your day been?” He did not wish to stay away from the girl but would not impose himself between the lass and her many suitors.

“Fine tank ya, n'yers?” Wanting to talk to him but not knowing what to say and knowing that some of the conversation she wanted to share should not take place in the galley, perhaps not even on the ship.

“I have been well." An odd silence fell between them in the noisy room. "I hear you have been in the surgery stitching.”

“Aye”

“The surgery stitching …I did not know you had the skills of a surgeon.”

“Nay lad, I …” She nearly missed the subtle mischievous gleam in his eye but it’s spark made her giggle and blush with embarrassment and suddenly, the tension between them was broken.

The conversation in this public place focused upon their individual tasks, and the secrets that each kept about said tasks. The designs of the marine uniforms and the figurehead teased the curiosity of the other. Murin questioned when the figurehead might be completed and began to calculate the time needed for the uniforms. Wouldn’t it be grand if the marines could be in their uniforms when the Heron was christened anew?

Alder laid his book upon the table between them and shared a few entries that he had made while on shore but he stayed her hand from turning the page when the next was the sketch of the new figurehead. Her heart again raced and for a instant she was on the dance floor in his arms. Murin took in a deep breath, then looking directly into his eyes, letting him know that she did not want to, she withdrew her hand from the page and began to beg good heartedly to see the sketches but he refused. “I want to see your eyes when first you gaze upon it.” A light blush warmed her ears.

Mister Wenge excused himself, he needed to make his way ashore. They cleared their plates and headed to the rail where Alder had placed his gear for his departure. Alder told her where he would be working on his project and asked that she stop by, there would be fewer of the crew there and the two could speak of the events of last evening. The carpenter and the tailor said their goodbyes without as much as a handshake. Alder climbed deftly to the longboat and they shoved off.

Miss Murin McDonough stood at the rail watching after them then turned to watch the light fading from the sky.

Argus merely huffed, the kitten mewled and she rubbed its tiny head as she continued to smile. “Do you speak English?” She asked uncertainly. As far as she knew Alan did not speak French either and Jacques had been given different duties so she had not seen him.

“Yes. I speak English, May I help you?” Again did his gaze run over her form, she was slender, dark hair and brows, a straight petite nose, full lips, high cheekbones one of which was bruised, but it was the color of her eyes that he most found himself watching. As if she knew of his regard she shifted slightly, closer towards him and said more softly. “Yes please. I need several pair of shoes. And I would like those in the window if possible.” The husky tones of her voice slid over him and his eyes widened then moved to her clumsily shod feet, back to Alan who merely grinned and took a seat. “I will need a few pairs as well, but tend the lady first lad.”

Nodding hastily he motioned for her to sit and as she handed the kitten to Alan who settled the ball of fur against his chest watched hiding his laugh as Treasure easily charmed the young assistant. She moved towards a chair and turned and settled and as he the young assistant knelt before her to take her foot she grinned at Alan over the lad’s head. He merely shook his head and mouthed trouble and she crossed her eyes at him then carefully watched the young lad remove her shoe and measure her foot. At one point she flexed her foot and giggled causing the assistant to smile. “Sorry tickles it does.”

Soon her feet were measured and she decided upon three pairs all of sturdy leather and again asked after the shoes in the window. As the lad rose to quickly fetch them she looked to Alan who appeared to be sleeping, Argus looked bored and yawned and the lad was very helpful. As he returned she took one of the shoes studying the design on the toe, the squared heel, the lace and stitching and finally slipped her foot within and sighed with delight as it fit. She turned her foot one way then the other admiring the shoe and asked for the other, the lad again knelt and aided her in placing the shoe on and then assisted her to stand. Oh to have such shoes again…. She moved towards the back of the room and circled about and with a grin returned and took her seat. “I’ll take these as well.” And haggling soon began; fierce it was then she got four pairs of shoes for the price of two and a half pairs. The shoes would be delivered within a day and a half, and she was agreeable to such.

“Oh..Is there anyway you could make a chew toy of leather for him?” she asked sweetly pointing to Argus who grinned in his doggy fashion and wagged his tail. The lad still dazed by her shrewd haggling agreed and she tossed him an extra coin for his troubles.

“Alan if ye are planning on shoes, I am running next door, I will meet you here then we shall return for dinner to the Inn.” As he was agreeable she smiled once more at the lad and moved quickly to the door causing the bell to chime and sashayed across the street into another shop before laughing with good humor. Spotting bars of soaps she moved closer and settled upon a vanilla scent and bought several bars before stepping back out to wait for Alan with Argus .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

July 31, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Tudor Smith arrived at the Watch Dog with her parcels and her thoughts, and learned at once of the Captain's departure to the Heron. She ran to the privacy of the Ward Room and changed into her finery for the evening, rushing enough to be available, but plodding enough to primp. She thrice checked herself in the mirror and thrice considered a secreted pistol, but bound as she was, she found no place for it.

Once on deck again she looked about for the officer of the deck and found Jim Warren at the galley.

"You'll be crossing to the Heron then, Miss Smith?"

"Aye, sah."

"Mind you drink and eat after the Spanish begin, Miss Smith."

"Aye." she agreed, heartily.

"Mister Morrell! Mister McGinty! You will stand by the longboat to bear the Captain's Steward to the Heron, if you please!"

The two captains were on deck and the hour grew late. The sky darkened and William spoke of the invitation to dine aboard the Spanish ship. Dorian had dressed for William’s visit to the newly refitted Cutter, so he need not change into finery. The only additions he decided upon were a change of weaponry. He knew the Spanish still carried rapiers, so he decided to compliment them by wearing his. Of course he also wore his sea service pistol, as Captain Brand carried a pistol openly. Dorian had found a set of fine pocket pistols in the town and offered one to William. He graciously turned it down, so Dorian put one in each of his coat pockets.

“Not too bad… rather light actually… I do believe I’m ready ta dine… by your leave, shall we?”

As they headed out on deck they saw a feminine form climb down into the longboat from the waist of the Watch Dog.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Our own Miss Smith come to join us." William remarked aloud, then added. "She means to spy on the Spanish this evening."

"Spy on th' Spani..."

"The Lieutenant who came bearing tonight's invitation, one De la Cruz, he...troubled our Miss Smith." William said by way of explanation.

"Ahh." Dorian returned, squinting towards the longboat. "Did he now?"

They both watched the longboat on approach and even in the boat she primped. William smiled to see her out of her usual element, for he was far more accustomed to her in slops and shirts anymore.

"You reminded her we are allied with th' Spaniards..." Dorian asked, though he thought he knew the answer.

"Indeed."

The longboat swung along side and both men made as if to go over. William stepped up to the rail first and as he went over and down he looked up and smiled. "Perhaps the lieutenant is too fair of face." he whispered up to Dorian as he descended.

Second bell of Second Dog Watch

Dorian chuckled but covered it with a cough as he descended into the waiting boat. He arranged his sword as he sat, and noticed Miss Smith eying his blade.

“Aye, I thought I’d be gracious to our hosts… And aye, I do know the rapier well…”

She nodded with a smile and continued to make small adjustments on her person. Small talk was made on the short trip over to the Spanish ship and soon a voice called out in that tongue, asking who was approaching. Captain Brand called out in English.

“Ahoy the Navarra! Capitaine Avendano has invited us from the Watch Dog to dine!”

Some more Spanish was spoken on deck in lower volume and another spoke in heavily accented English.

“Si, if you are capitaine Brand and guests, we bid you to come aboard, por favour.”

“Aye, I am Captain Brand of the Watch Dog, along with Captain Lasseter of the Heron and my Steward!”

Acquiescence was given and the longboat bumped against the ship and was steadied. William gave orders to the longboaters to wait, even though he knew it may be a long evening. They all had pistols about them, as ordered. So, they remained in the boat for the moment. Both William and Dorian helped Miss Smith aboard, and watched as those on deck were mildly shocked at the appearance of such a finely dressed woman, identified as the Steward of the Watch Dog. Slightly awkward welcomes were exchanged and accepted. Captain Avendano stood with his Lieutenant beside him, waiting to address the two captains and steward.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

July 31, 1704 - Aboard the Navarra

Lieutenant De la Cruz stepped forward with the snap and grace of one rehearsed in the arts of court and protocol. He removed his hat and gestured to the man at his left in one fluid motion and said, "Capitán Brand, Capitán Lasseter, and Miss Smith...it is my pleasure to introduce to you my master and Capitán, Eustaquio Alano Avendano."

Dorian and William removed their hats in a short, mirrored gesture intoning the name back again, adding their greetings in return. Then William gestured to his companions, "Allow me to introduce to you my trusted Steward, Miss Tudor Smith." Bows passed once again between them and their hosts and William turned to Dorian. "...and Captain Dorian Lasseter of the cutter Heron and Quartermaster of our Whole Company."

Capitán Avendano introduced the lieutenant already acquainted with Miss Smith and then one Ettore Tarín, a Doctor and a shareholder of the Navarra.

With these pleasantries accomplished, they were invited below to a spacious room so well prepared with food and drink that it might have been removed from the Don's estate some week's past. It was boarded by hangings and a serving man behind every chair.

Capitán Avendano moved to a chair at the head of the table with the Doctor on his right and the Lieutenant on his right. Captains Brand and Lasseter were asked to sit on the Larboard side of the table, with Miss Smith between them so that she sat facing Lieutenant De La Cruz, an arrangement that brought a subtle smile from William and the tiniest of coughs from Dorian. Tudor, however, looked quite delighted to sit opposite the man for reasons more tactical than social.

Already she was memorizing all around her.

William too was making note of their surroundings. He first noted that of all the men he had seen aboard so far, Dorian was the tallest. He towered over many of the able seamen they had passed. He was taller than the servants about the table. Indeed, Capitán Avendano was almost a full foot shorter than Dorian and even the Lieutenant was not so tall as William himself.

As for their surroundings, there could be no mistaking the Spanish origin of every object and decoration within the place. The plates, cups, bowls, utensils, candlesticks, chairs, draperies and every other thing was so decidedly Spanish that the place seemed to paint a Catholic veneer over their French anchorage almost absolutely.

Capitán Avendano only added to this with his strong, pronounced accent when he raised his glass and welcomed his guests to dine.

Ashore at Martinique

Dusk had arrived. Eric had seen many of the storefronts close for the evening. He was pleased with his purchases, especially since his outing had been nearly thwarted by running into several members of the Watch Dog. Their offer of drinks and refusing a "no" from the Sergeant-at-arms led them all into the "Tête de Bélier." A slight tug on the sleeve by young Patrick Godfrey brought him to a seat nearby. Eric had been able to apprise the crew on Mister Pew's condition as well as hear about the going's on aboard both the Watch Dog and the Heron. Several ales and a bowl of fish stew later, he excused himself and thanked the crew for the company. He left the innkeep with several coins, enough to pay his meal and quite enough for the crew as they continued their carousing.

Shifting the load to his other shoulder, Eric walked the short distance back to the chirurgeon's home. Eric had bought a small chest where the day's clothing purchase fit neatly. He arrived and rapped gently on the door. He pushed slowly to find no one at answer. Eric continued to Preston's room and opened the door. A light snore came from the figure in bed and once or twice did the Master-at-arms stir. Eric left the chest at the foot of the bed and closed the door behind him. He made his way to the docks to see if a dinghy could carry him to the Watch Dog.

A lantern was hung above several hogsheads waiting to be loaded aboard one of the ships in the harbor at first light. Eric approached a dark figure and smiled. An old man with a cudgel was left to guard the barrels, yet he had succumbed to slumber still early in the evening. Eric debated about how to wake the man, and finally decided to leave him. He walked to the water's edge and found a small pirogua with it's paddle lying across the thwarts.

Eric slipped the small boat into the water and knelt within it just as a light rain began to fall. The harbor was lit with the shaded lanterns of ships of all nations. Even so, he could still spot the Watch Dog and her consort close by. He was weary and looked to get a good night's rest back in his own cabin. The thought of waking to a fresh cup of Mister Gage's brew brought a grin to the sergeant-at-arms face.

Salutations were made, and Jim Warren welcomed Eric Franklin back aboard the Watch Dog. A fresh bottle was brought to the ward room as news ashore and afloat was discussed among the Cox'un, Bo'sun and the Sergeant-at-arms. With glasses drained and duties for the evening meted out, Eric excused himself and went below to his cabin. He unlocked the door and found that someone had cleaned the mess that was left by the Master-at-arms. Noting to himself to seek out that crew member, he hung his hammock. Even with the humidity below deck, Eric Franklin fell fast asleep in the gentle sway.