The Watch Dog

William Brand

Murin had taken the time to gather her basket and bundles for she dared not leave them behind after the topmost one was stolen and was grateful that the man at the bakery had recovered her package but he had left the thief go!

"Wot..?!" She stated in an angry tone but stopped herself, she hadn't emotional energy to exert on the man. "I ...err, umm" she stammered then broke into embarrassed laughter. Closed her eyes and looked skyward shaking her head. Taking a deep breath she then looked to the man who had saved her package.

The man before her was striking. Tall and thin, worn straw hat shaded his face, skin dark from many hours in the sun, a stark contrast to the bright white shock of the hair tied back at the base of his skull and eyes bright beneath the brim of his hat. He smiled politely at the lass before him and tipped his hat as he handed her the small bundle.

"Tank ya."

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He smiled but wondered that she should have look irritated before. Then he understood and smiled a little more, but wryly. "Ahhh... que le garçon a payé entièrement." he said, gesturing to the teeth on the cobbles. Murin looked at them and did not at first understand Alain's meaning, and sensing that she might have no grasp of his language, he tapped his two front teeth.

"Dents pour une bourse."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Miss McDonough's brow furrowed then as the man tapped his front teeth recognition came to her. "Oi!" Her eyes grew wide and her jaw slack, "D'poor laud! N'all fer a chemise n'a fancy linen." She shook her head again, pulling the pouch that hung around her neck from the opening in her shirt, pulled out a coin and offered it to the man. "Tank ya'again"

Alain looked at the coin with a spreading look of amusement he could not contain completely. He tried to smooth the smile into something more gracious, but it didn't work. Instead, he looked around, trying to find a vendor of no particular goods.

His eyes alighted on a boy not much different than the pick pocket. The young lad was pulling a small cart fixed with a tapped keg of some questionable looking vintage. Still, it was probably rum and the day was hot so he snapped his fingers and called for the boy's attention. The boy came with haste, noting the coin in mid-exchange. Alain took the offered coin from Murin with another polite touch to the edge of his hat and placed it in the boy's grateful hands. Then Alain asked for two glasses. The boy went to fill them, but Alain took them both, holding them up to the light. When he was somewhat satisfied by their cleanliness, he passed them back again and the boy filled them two thirds full. Alain passed the cleaner of the two glasses to Murin and proposed a toast made up of nothing but a nod and a smile.

He drained it dry in one go and studied the glass with a slight narrowing of his right eye, for the stuff was heady and very recently brewed. "Horrible." he said, followed by a brief cough. "Je suis remboursé."

Murin tried to hide the look of puzzlement on her face before the mans actions sunk in. She smiled a broad appreciative smile lifted the glass, nodded in a return toast and followed suit drinking it down in one gulp, with one minor difference, there was no cough that followed. She licked her lips, smiled and nodded to the man again.

He smiled appreciatively, and the boy offered to fill their glasses a second time. Alain shook his head and the boy collected them again. There followed a brief pause, for Alain did not know where to take this chance meeting. He was bent for the docks, and to the work he had secured there the day before, so when the silence had lingered a moment, he tipped his hat again.

"Merci de la boisson, manque. Bonjour." he said with a smile and a polite nod. Then he left her to what other chance encounters might come her way as the sun continued to climb higher over a flawless day.

Between seven and eight bells of the Forenoon Watch

As the friendly stranger left her it dawned on Murin that the time to head to the Watch Dog had come. Gathering her things again she headed for the docks, trying in vain not to think of what might have kept Nathan away.

Resurrecting his form from the pile of goods that had molded to his body, Alder rose from his concealed bedding in the alley and languidly stretched his body to length; making all too slight a shadow for his liking. He hurriedly trekked toward the Chirurgeon's; following the best of the fragmented directions he had overheard. Had Mr. Pew survived the night? he pondered.

Alder had seen his mother stealthy creep past the dog run to the out quarters to comfort the ill, much to his father’s trepidation. Some servants had survived fevers that plagues and some had found eternal rest as she soothed body and soul with medicinals and melody. He admired the gift of life and the fairer sex that nurtured it, but respected also the costs.

One chorus replaced another as haunting refrains of Murin’s voice came to him accompanied by humble instruments that framed her tune. What had become of the lass? He solicited the heavens in all earnestness as he held close his patron’s medal.

Rounding the cobblestone corner, Alder’s query was abruptly rejoined with an image that struck with lightning wrath. Goode god! He growled under his breath, minting the imagine of St. Joseph into his tightening grip. He knew she was attractive, he imagined she might have had a suitor, he even understood that their ages and service to sea did not lend Neptune’s favor to a union, but this. . . What had become of the lad whose silhouette melted with hers on the eve? Was he so naive to have misjudged the lass and the tension he felt? He wanted desperately to turn heel and find another conduit to his destination, but he could only stare. The remnants of the rational carpenter realized that news of Mr. Pew would surely have made the ship by now and he should be doing likewise, but passion had him transfixed as Murin smiled and nodded to the stranger who had handed her a glass of some libation she seemed to be enjoying.

Mayhaps she knew this man that he did not. Likely as that was, within moments the stranger took his leave and meandered toward the docks as did the tailor many paces behind and with somewhat less determination. Certain she would turn to look behind her, Alder unscrewed his expression and breathed deeply in effort to balance himself from his fractious imaginings; but she did not turn, nor would he from this path.

Alder was again reminded his place and yet there was a burdensome need in this man of the earth to; like god’s own towering woodland sentinels, keep watch over the gentle. He would not allow his ego or his arrogance to let a valued tailor come into harms way from any venue. And so he set his course to duty; both noble and humble, and made his way well removed from the lass, back toward the Watch Dog and her service. In the ditant margin Resurrecting his form from the pile of goods that had molded to his body, Alder rose from his concealed bedding in the alley and languidly stretched his body to length; making all too slight a shadow for his liking. He hurriedly trekked toward the Chirurgeon's; following the best of the fragmented directions he had overheard. Had Mr. Pew survived the night? he pondered.

Alder had seen his mother stealthy creep past the dog run to the out quarters to comfort the ill, much to his father’s trepidation. Some servants had survived fevers that plagues and some had found eternal rest as she soothed body and soul with medicinal and melody. He admired the gift of life and the fairer sex that nurtured it, but respected also the costs.

One chorus replaced another as haunting melodies of Murin’s voice came to him accompanied by humble instruments that framed her tune. What had become of the lass? He solicited the heavens in all earnestness as he held close his patron’s medal.

Rounding the cobblestone corner, Alder’s query was abruptly rejoined with an image that struck with lightning wrath. Goode god! He growled under his breath, minting the imagine of St. Joseph into his tightening grip. He knew she was attractive, he imagined she might have had a suitor, he even understood that their ages and service to sea did not lend Neptune’s favor to a union, but this. . . What had become of the lad whose silhouette melted with hers on the eve? Was he so naive to have misjudged the lass and the tension he felt? He wanted desperately to turn heel and find another conduit to his destination, but he could only stare. The remnants of the rational carpenter realized that news of Mr. Pew would surely have made the ship by now and he should be doing likewise, but passion had him transfixed as Murin smiled and nodded to the stranger who had handed her a glass of some libation she seemed to be enjoying.

Mayhaps she knew this man that he did not. Likely as that was, within moments the stranger took his leave and meandered toward the docks as did the tailor many paces behind and with somewhat less determination. Certain she would turn to look behind her, Alder unscrewed his expression and breathed deeply in effort to balance himself from his fractious imaginings; but she did not turn, nor would he from this path.

Alder was again reminded his place and yet there was a burdensome need in this man of the earth to; like god’s own towering woodland sentinels, keep watch over the gentle. He would not allow his ego or his arrogance to let a valued tailor come into harms way from any venue. And so he set his course to duty; both noble and humble, and made his way back toward the Watch Dog and his calling,

In the distant margins of the thoroughfare, an additional witness to the scene set pace in echoed sentiment . . . and so the sprawled caravan was surreptitiously joined by a likewise bewildered Nathan Bly.

Alder.jpg

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Twain

July 31, 1704 - At Martinique, bound for the Fort Royal Prison

William and Claude were intercepted some three times on the way to the fort prison by individuals who had learned of the Watch Dog's need for crew. William was not disappointed by these interruptions, for he preferred to hire on men who were free and able to serve.

The first two men to stop him were waiting on the road leading up to the prison gates. By the look of them they had waited much of the night and morning for him to return to the prison, hoping to dissuade him into taking them over condemned men. This proved to be a simple task, for both men had seen the sea in at least two ships each, and William was glad to have men whose only ambition aboard ship was good pay, a hammock and fare of a decent fashion.

The first of the two was named John Black. He was a colonist of mixed English and German origins, and a sunburnt redhead, freckled all over from dock work. He spoke with a mixed accent and a mild tick, for his left eye would twitch to the point of distraction every time he talked, so much so that he couldn't hide it. He was very forward about this, explaining that a block had fallen from the foretop gallant aboard the first ship in which he had put to sea. The heavy block, still strung with rain soaked line, had crashed down upon his head from that great height. At this, he removed his knitted cap to reveal that part of his head was stove in about an inch on one side. The head wound had long since healed, though it was a long scar of some seven inches. Adding to this his red hair and his head looked like a copper pot with a dent in it.

William, worried that the man would be prone to seizures, asked many questions regarding the injury until he was satisfied that the man would not froth or faint in the rigging. By the time he was through asking questions of John, the man was promised food, raiment and a hammock aboard the 'Dog.

The second man proved even more interesting. His name was Adam. Only Adam. Like John Black, Adam had been injured as a youth. He and a several cousins had taken to games of pyracy and in a parody of hanging gone horribly wrong the man had lost his voice. His neck had an aged quality, like so much skin wrinkled by time, and it was obvious that the tissues underneath had been severed. William had never signed a mute aboard any ship he had commanded, and he couldn't think of any he had known that had. Still, John fervently explained Adam's history and his excellent skills, remarking more than once on Adam's good hearing and his speed with knots. William was not opposed to hiring the man, but this accidental oath of silence presented him with understandable concerns. John, anxious to see his friend aboard, also pointed out that Adam had learned to write and with a good hand. Also, while Adam could speak no language, he could understand German, English and some French.

In the end William relented, for Adam was able to demonstrate that his skills were adequate to the tasks that would welcome him on the frigate, so William sent the two men with word from him to Captain Lasseter, allowing Dorian the first pick of them if he wished it.

William and Claude walked only a little way further when they were again intercepted by a man seeking to find a berth. This third man, one Christophe Lefevre was a Frenchman through and through and could speak no more English than Argus. He was a thin man, but wiry for his frame, with a shock of unruly, dark hair. Unlike his surname, which belied a blacksmithing trade, Christophe was gifted with no more training than a common seaman. William was not disappointed by this, for the man was able to answer every question put to him by way of Claude. What troubled William was the man's lack of any English. This was compounded by the man's frankness concerning language, for when William asked Christophe if he would learn English, he simply stated that in all of his years of trying to learn it he had utterly failed to comprehend enough to ask or understand the simplest of terms. What's more, he did not believe that he could ever grasp it, no matter the length of time, for he had no gift for languages other than his own.

"I have a mute who can hear in three languages and answer in none, and now this fellow asks to come aboard and remain foreign in tongue."

Claude did not translate this to Christophe. Instead, he reminded the Captain that if Christophe were properly placed, he would serve near several Frenchman already aboard. William was unsure, but he agreed. After all, he had Ajayi aboard with just the little experience he had gained since the demise of the Warrington Hart.

"Very well. Tell him to see himself to the Watch Dog by tomorrow, noon."

They were stopped five more times on their way to the prison gates as several others attempted to gain a berth, but all of these were found lacking in skills sufficient to be considered, for William would only allow so many men aboard who could not speak English. He found the idea of bringing on more Frenchmen rather than English counterproductive. He was further frustrated in his plans, for they were intercepted so many times on the way to the prison, that the noon hour soon approached and they were forced to head back again to the docks.

William's pressing business regarding the Maastricht sale made a visit to the prison impossible that day. He was not happy about this. He said as much to Claude as they traveled again to the sea front.

"For some eight years now I have escaped prison, and now that I wish to go, I cannot arrive at the destination."

Despite William's frustration, Claude could not contain a wry smile.

Eight bells of the Forenoon Watch

Afternoon Watch Begins

~Starboard Watches on Duty~

As she climbed down the rigging she spotted Argus below and grinned as he barked leaping about tail wagging causing her to laugh and jump the final few feet to kneel beside him. “Scoundrel. You did not like that nasty man either did you.” She rubbed his ears and spoke softly “Che bella giornata! “ –What a lovely Day- “We should find something to do.” Argus thought this a fine idea and woofed deeply a big paw coming up to rest on her knee as she knelt.

“Che cosa c'è da vedere in questa zona? –What can we visit in the area- Have you any ideas?” She laughed as he wagged his tail again and then moved forwards knocking her backwards. “Aye Caro, let us see what mischief we can make Eh?”

Seeing Alan she grinned and came to her feet “Salve! Come Sta? “ Then in case he spoke no italian smiled impishly “I said hello..how are you?”

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I rolled over only to find myself awake in what truly seems to have been years. I know I'm not in my cabin, nor on the Watch Dog.

"EH!" I tried to yell, but only a thick weeze exited. I looked to the bedside and saw a small bottle. I smelled the contents and could only guess it was water. Downing the warm liquid, I sat up on my elbows. The sunlight shone through the windows and I looked around the room. Several small cloths lay about as well as many tiny bottles. I tried to stand, but only made it to the side of the bed. I realized I had all of my clothing removed, but was able to wrap a simple bedsheet around me. Looking the part of Caesar, I made my way to the window.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

The Heron

As those off duty returned to the ships, many noticed the fine new arms on the Cutter. Dorian stood on the Quarterdeck and had to salute with his hat more times than he could count. Every time a ships boat passed, words of praise were exchanged. Once all those who did the work on the Heron were ashore, and the returning crew aboard, Captain Lasseter informed them of what had occurred while they were on shore leave. They were allowed to familiarize themselves with the new guns and rig of the ship. Dorian let this happen while he spoke with the coxswain, who noted three crewmen absent. O’Madden, McCormick, and Flint. Dorian’s brow creased and his jaw clenched. In low tones he hoped there was a good explanation for their tardiness. He hoped he would not have to find them in a prison cell. Mayhaps a night in the gaol would teach them if that were the case. He turned back to watching the crew, mesmerized by the shining brass guns and smiled some, hoping that was all the problems that would be for this day.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Bill arrived at the dock with his prisoners in time to catch the last of the starboard watch coming ashore and was able to board the boat for the return trip to The Heron. He sat his charges across from himself and kept his pistols trained on them at all times.

"Wot's all this Bill?" inquired Nick Johnson who was acting as the boatheader.

The big Marine answered without taking his eyes from McCormick or O'Madden.

"Brawlin' in public"

Johnson gave a knowing nod and they continued their trek to The Heron. Upon reaching their destination Bill was at first surprised to find the Captain and the Coxswain waiting on them. Then he realized that they were rather tardy. The ships officers took immediate notice of the fact that Flint brought the other two men aboard at gunpoint. The Captain raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Wot's all this then Mr. Flint?"

"Just doing my duty as a Marine sar, caught these two in a public brawl."

"Fisticuffs? O'er wot?"

But one whiff of the two prisoners breath told The Heron's master all he needed to know for the moment.

"Very well, confine these two ta quarters 'til I have the time ta deal with 'em"

"Aye Sar"

The Redlegs knuckled his brow and signaled two of the Marines to take the prisoners away and followed them into the crew's quarters to see they were properly secured. Once below decks he conferred with Andrew Smyth and Maurice Roche and established a rotation of the guard on the prisoners. Although Flint had no real authority over them the two Larboard Marines were happy to defer to Bill's knowledge and experience in such matters. Andrew drew first watch and Bill and Maurice made their way topside to report to the Captain.

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

Alan grinned a toothy grin at the sailor and came towards her. "I'm doing well. and you?" Argus stood and took a step forward his ears back and his tail still. Alan stooped to where he was on the beasts level holding his hand out palm down he allowed the animal to sniff and waited until the whip at his tail end started slapping at the back of Treasure's thigh. Alan then took his other hand to the dog's head and scratched behind his ears. The pup must have liked it for he stepped towards Alan butting his head against his legs as his tail continued to wag happily.

Bending his knees to avoid being knocked over by the mastiff Alan began to laugh. He liked this pup. "Have you trained dogs before?"

She watched his approach and then waited to see what would happen with Argus as he stiffened. But he seemed to remember once Alan let him take a sniff of his hand and his posture relaxed, big tail wagging and slapping Treasure so that she yelped and stepped back.

“That hurts!” Then she pointed to shore, “Are you ready? Im eager to explore.” She nudged Argus with her foot and he grunted though he still managed to stay in the same place as Alan was rubbing his ears while nearly knocking Treasure over.

‘Nay I have had dogs before but never trained them, however I remember some of the tricks our trainers used for the inside dogs my mother had as pets. He is pretty smart though stubborn, at times Im not sure which of us wins the battle.”

“I just need to get my bag, are you ready or do you need to get your bag as well?” She signaled Argus to follow her as she began to move off. She skirted Owen who glared at her and muttered about dogs on board and then sent Alan a sly glance. "Made yerself a new friend have ye?"

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

"I have." Alan said as he passed Owen, "It's easier for some of us than others." Syren shot him a surprised glance he simply smiled and winked at the lass. "My bag is already set at the rail. I'll wait for you there." He turned towards the opening in the rail and the line of duffel's waiting for their owners to take ashore.

He leaned there a short while when Syren emerged from the hatch again. Although he looked on her as just another sailor her beauty was not lost on him either He smiled as she approached, lifted his bag from the deck and tossing it over his shoulder said "I took the liberty of alerting the others" he pointed to those of the crew responsible for loading and unloading goods, "that you and your ...pet," He snickered at this for her 'pet' was nearly the size of a child and weighed much more. "would be leaving now."

Syrne coxed the dog onto the hatch grate but Argus would not stay. Again they tried but the animal would not stay. Treasure, to her chagrin, would have to ride with the animal and baggage to the waiting boat. Alan turned and climbed down the ladder and was waiting when they arrived. All were unloaded and soon another boat full of the larboard crew was on it's way to shore. Alan pulled his pipe from his hat, filled it with tobacco and was soon drawing on it. Life was good.

Reaching the boat she was ribbed about the dog but Argus seemed content and barked again before settling in the bottom as Treasure fiddled with her bag. But her glance was drawn to the Navarra and she pushed hair from her face as the winds teased it to take a better look. A merchant ship, with half the guns of the dog, seemingly new and yet her companion ship appeared to have just come through battle.

Still she did not trust them and looked to Alan who sat near her “What did you think of our guest earlier?”

Mayhaps she was wrong and had taken much out of context but she cared not for being spied on. She rubbed Argus’s ears as he placed his head in her lap and whined. “Now you complain, we will be ashore soon and you better stay with me else you might get lost.”

She looked up to Alan and caught Owen watching them and Arched a brow and turned from him.

"What shall we do first?" She said excitement lacing her voice...

Alan finished a draw on his pipe, paused a moment and let out the smoke. "Think of our guest? I think very little." he smirked "I think Tudor is wise to keep close watch." He took another draw of the pipe while looking at the Navara. "I hope there is no trouble."

He paused again then breaking from that thought he turned to the lass next to him, "We? Well, I was looking to feed myself a good meal with a fine wine and then enjoy a walk beyond the town. Would you and Argus" he patted the dogs head "care to join me?"

She too looked to the Navarra as he spoke of it and she blushed at his words, “Well you did mention we could explore next shore leave..unless you have changed your mind. I am sure that you would rather find..A woman and..” She blushed more “Take your ease.” She finished lamely.

Blue green eyes moved out to take in the shore as it drew nearer And turned back at his words and studied his face. “I had planned on doing such and we would be honored if you do not mind.” As they neared and several leapt out to drag the boat ashore Argus leapt out and began barking and hastily she stood and nearly tripped getting out and taking Argus by the scruff gave him the command for silence.

He barked again then went silent. “I think you are a handful.” She muttered causing several to laugh. Turning back to Alan she leaned over to take her bag “Did you have an idea of a place to eat, or sleep?”

"I assumed that you were being polite when we last spoke. I saw you last time in your womans clothes you are clearly a lady and I was sure you would have many suitors. You see, my heart belongs to a woman in another port. I do not go looking for a woman to satisfy my needs in every port I land in. I fear, however, that I may never return to her home now that I have signed with the Watch Dog." he lifted his bag over his shoulder and waited for his companion to do the same. "A few from the Starboard crew told me of a place recommended by locals called 'Le Chateau Anse' shall I lead the way?"

Her blush became more pronounced as he spoke of seeing her in a gown, in truth she had forgotten such and had again packed the other gown bought on her last shore leave. She wore them because it pleased her to do so, to remind her that while she may be a marine on the WatchDog she was also a woman. And that blush deepened more at her presumption, of his actions, perhaps she should speak more to the others instead of moving with the select few she knew. "Forgive me, I assumed..I should not assume."

She kept her face turned to the city as the others had already began to move off and Argus was whining clearly eager to go as well. “I was being honest not polite. I never do or say anything that I do not wish to. As for my presumption..forgive me..Sometimes I assume to much and I hope that one day you will be reunited. As for the 'Le Chateau Anse' I will let you lead the way.” Though she did grin over the butchering she had given the name. “Forgive me, I do not know French at all, though it is similar to Italian, it is not quite the same.” As they moved forwards Argus stayed by her side though it was clear at times he wished to take off and explore on his own.

"No need for apologies. Not many know of my love and my promise to myself. Truth be told before meeting her and the months we were stuck in that port for repairs I would be looking to find the comforts of a womans arms here." He hoped this would put Syren at ease. He was enjoying her company and yes, the fact that she was a woman was an extra pleasure.

Her gaze swept back to him and read his sincerity and nodded her head. “Thank you, It seems I have much to learn of men, I have only know one side till Captain William brought me aboard, and I met Dorian and Ciaran and you as well as others. I think it a fine thing that you would honor her so.”

And immediately she was at ease, her impish smile returning. “Now walk faster I am hungry.” As they entered the lower end of the city she again had to look at everything though it was more apparent she was looking down alleys and taking note of who was about and where they were, what they were doing. A habit that was hard to break, and harder still to forget the lessons it had taught.

“I am not sure what I wish to eat, but a nice glass of wine sounds wonderful.”

"I do not drink much, I have seen what it can do to a man but wine with a meal is something I have come to enjoy in my travels from coast to coast for the last ten years." He stopped and knocked his pipe against his heel the ash fell to the wet sand then began walking again as he tucked the still warm pipe into his hat. "I have learned much but I am still a simple man. Perhaps someday I will take the fortune I am earning here on the Watch Dog become respectable and learn to be a man of business." He laughed at this but in his voice there was a determination that said this was indeed a goal. "That, my good woman, would still be years away for I love the sea and her song!" He winked at her once again.

“The sea and her song is a most intoxicating lure that I too find hard pressed to deny. Being out there on the sea, there is a different set of rules. No needlepoint and talk of fashion, no need to worry over marriage alliances, or be treated as if one does not have a brain in one’s head.” She shot him a abashed look as they walked and nearly tripped over Argus who moved in front of her.

She gave a slight laugh low and musical and shook her head “My opinions only and no offense is meant. But still tis a different life out there and there is a freedom that is very heady.” As he shook his head and then laughed she smiled and looked to Argus as they wended their way through others that were doing business or shopping in the lanes.

As she was looking about she nudged Alan “There up ahead on the left..is that the place?”