The Watch Dog

William Brand

Eric and I had just returned to the armoury to outlay the weapons when Mister Morgan arrive with a brief knock at the door.

"Mister Pew, Cap'n called for ye above."

"Aye Mister Morgan, be right there." I replied. Handing the musket, to Eric I continued down the list in my mind and menitoning each name aloud, to make sure each marine would be armed within the next few minutes.

"And McGinty Preston," said Eric as he continued acting as if he hadn't heard me repeat aloud.

"Right, McGinty, he's aloft now 's he not?"

"Aye."

"Very well. Eric 'f you c'n see t' 't each man 's armed, an' mention t' those that th' Cap'n wants t' see th' Starboard Marines to th' Ward Room at seven bells. I'll let th' larboard watch know 's well when I return. They'll be at th' first bell of Morning Watch."

"Aye Preston."

Eric turned his back and opened another crate of muskets. I spun about and lept to the ladder stairs.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

July 23, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Seven bells of Mid Watch

The Captain and Quartermaster met at the base of the main shrouds, where they stood awhile in conference, discussing the possibilities of this new unknown. This part of the Antilles was rife with sea commerce and so the chance of threat was not a great one. Even if it was a warship, combat was never a forgone conclusion, so, for the time being, they both agreed to be cautious without raising alarm.

As for the mystery ship, it was far enough off for the present. It showed no sign of bearing towards them, though her course, and that of the Watch Dog, would eventually intersect unless one or the other altered their bearing. This crossing of course was still hours off, and for the moment, no alteration was made in the bearing of the Watch Dog.

Mister Pew arrived while they were discussing a course of action and William informed him of the ship and asked him to begin assembling those men of the Starboard Marines under Mister Franklin.

"Already begun, Sah."

"Thank you, Mister Pew. It seems fitting to me, now more than ever, that I should meet with the marines."

~STARBOARD WATCH ON DUTY

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

The Captain made his way aft, to the Wardroom and the QuarterMaster also headed aft, but up onto the holy ground of the quarterdeck. He placed the ships' glass in the binnacle and again headed to the rail, using his own glass to scan that void in the horizon. There it was... the void in the horizon.... What was she? A fat merchant? A Man-o-War? Or even a large Corsair? His gut fortold of pending action... this would not be a lark, a chance meeting with a friendly bit of news past between allies. His gut fortold of spilt blood, death.... He gritted his teeth and steadied the glass.

"Th' day will be a fine one fer a battle at sea... Among th' livin' I'll be, sez I... An' you, captain, master o' yer ship... will wish ye'd ne'er put ta sea..."

He drew in a breath and lowered his glass, slowly collapsing it, section by section, with a final metallic snap. He put his hands behind his back, grasping the cylinder with both hands. He turned back to the workings of the ship as she slide gracefully throught the waters off the lesser Anitlles. The eight bell of the watch sounded, the Larboard watch made their presence known as the Starboard watch began to head below. Young McGinty did not come out of the shrouds.

~BEGINNING OF THE LARBOARD WATCH~

23 July, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Morning Watch begins

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

"Thank you, Mister Pew.  It seems fitting to me, now more than ever, that I should meet with the marines."

"Aye sah," I replied.

Eric Franklin had just joined the ships' officer's on deck. I told him of the Captain's request and he turned about, just as fast as he had arrived. He went below decks and I followed as to collect the muskets for those men to be on watch.

With a sense of urgency in our step, we popped the lock to the armoury and removed those muskets Eric had set aside. One of the powder monkes had just come off watch and we asked to assist in the transport of arms topside. Seven muskets had been procured as well as a box of flints wadding and shot. Word had arrived at the ears of those chosen to be armed upon their watch. Mister Franklin and I, along with Jean Dorleac arrived at the Ward Room with muskets in tow. The six members of the watch were there also: Misters Styles, Tucker, Roche, Dinwiddle, Thatcher and Morrell. Our seventh remained in his perch high atop the rigging. As the muskets were handed out, the Cap'n returned to the Wardroom. All crew members seated, now stood at very near attention.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

William Brand walked to the opposite side of the table, where he sat for meals, stooped over charts, or stood to address guests and crew members. He sized everyone up for a moment, his eyes lingering on one man after another. He did this for what seemed liked a long time, his hands behind his back all the while, but it was only a minute and no more.

"You men have been hand picked for special duty aboard the Watch Dog. Each of you possesses traits which set you apart from the rest of the crew."

They exchanged a few looks. William noted that Roche smiled more than the others, perhaps because he had already guessed where this was going.

"The Masters of the armory chose you for your aim, your efficiency, even your nerve. Some of you have demonstrated that you are possessed of great marksmanship. Others have shown an unswerving attention to orders and control in the face of fowl weather, danger and harm to yourselves personally."

Mister Pew was nodding. The Master-at-Arms was watching them for reactions, for the tell tale signs of each man's thoughts. William continued.

"From this point on, you will bear the designation of Marines of the Starboard Watch."

Some eyebrows went up at this. Some smiled. The strongest of them, the most reliable, simply nodded in a way that spoke volumes. Yet all of them seemed to except this at once. This was the way of the sea. Promotion. Demotion. Alteration. Change. Every sailor expected to be tailored in his place over time.

"Of course, this promotion, if it can be called such, has little or nothing to do with that ship out there so recently sighted. This is a necessity of port. While we are at Cul de Sac Royal, we shall have an armed detail of men aboard and ashore. You will be the standing militia of our small island. Those of you who came aboard unarmed will have use of these weapons assigned to you. Understand, Gentlemen, these are your muskets. Once given to you, they will be in your charge. You will clean, maintain, and fire these weapons in your service. How you keep them is a reflection of that service. Mister Pew."

She was sleeping soundly when her hammock rocked wildly and she nearly tumbled out only to come face to face with Owen who was laughing. She shot him a glare but held her tongue and rolled out of her hammock quickly knowing their watch was on duty. Quickly she made for the deck and into the humid sea air, Bracing herself as the Watchdog plowed through a swell.

Finger combing her hair she quickly plaited it as she moved to her assigned perch and hid a yawn behind a hand. Stretching she wiped at her eyes and paused as she was tapped on the shoulder. A word was whispered into her ear and she immidiately became alert and looked out to the still dark sea.

With a nod she quickly scrambled aloft keeping watch for any sign, a flare of light, A glint of metal, even the sound of voices. Reaching her perch she settled in and shivered at the cooler temperatures and wondered if they were being stalked. If so it would be her first sea battle and she could feel apprehension heavily weigh upon her.

Swallowing hard she looked down to the shadowed decks below and then up to the starlit pre dawn sky and made the sign of the cross and whispered a prayer heavenward. Then looking to the sea whispered another hasty prayer to Poseidon himself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

The captain had clasped his hands behind his back and traveled the well worn loop around the great table. Always a man with intuition, one could tell his demeanor had become not complacent but one of assuredness with this group of men standing before him.

I nodded towards the Captain, then faced the marines, “Mister Morell, you will find yer station aloft wit' Mister McGinty, though you 'ill be 'n th' fore top. Misters Styles, Tucker and Roche, you 'ill find yourselves stationed on th' main deck, Jerrod, affix yourself t' th' Quarterdeck.” He nodded and smiled. “Christopher,” he stood a little more upright, not used to the full draw of his name, “ You 'll stand tall 'n th' waist. Mister Roche, Maurice,” I corrected myself, “ you 'll be leading us ‘pon th' fo’c’sle deck ‘tween Troubleshooter an' Bloody Thunder. Lawrence, you an' Robert will be on watch at th' armoury. None but myself, Mister Franklin, and your ships master’s shall pass before you.” Each man continued to pay rapt attention, bolstering my reasons for their choosing.

“You will b' under th' charge of Mister Franklin while on watch. While yer formation has not been created due t' th' sail seen ahead,” I paused and noticed that some of them had not heard about the possibility of another sail sighted off our bow. “But were created t' b' th' first defense o' th' Watch Dog,” each man arched their back a little more straight. “Do y' gents 'ave any questions?” Robert Thatcher was the first to speak, but all soon followed.

“No, sah.” was the reply. I didn’t realize Jean Dorleac had remained in the ward room. When the Captain heard his voice as well, he searched for the origin. Jean Dorleac stood there as proud as each man. “Very well then, Mister Dorleac will fetch the flints, wadding and shot should you need it.” I nodded at Jean and he knuckled his temple in a salute. “'f th' Captain 'as nothin' else, choose your weapon, as you are dismissed.” The muskets had been set along the bulkhead to the right of the door of the Ward Room. Instead of each man turning to grab their weapon, they stood ramrod straight and knuckled their temple, waiting for a reply.

"Are there any other questions...Gentlemen?" the Captain reiterated.

Louis Morrell cleared his throat.

"Yes, Mister Morrell?"

"Cap'n. I 'ave a question."

"Proceed."

"Well, Sah. Since it ain't been asked, Sah. The Royal Navy...they sometimes pay less to marines. Are we t' take a cut in our portion, Sah?"

"Ahhh, yes. The subject of payment. A good question." William could see that those who had not thought of this before, were thinking of it now. "I would not promote your responsibilities, while demoting your purse, Mister Morrell. Be assured, you will all have the same payment as before, though some guarantee of added compensation may be in order. Understand, you are not relieved of those duties that touch all able seamen. When an armed watch is not called for, you will fall under the ministrations of the bosuns. The responsibilities of the ship require you to scrub, haul and clean, as always, for this is primarily a port calling. However, Masters Pew and Franklin have the power to remove you from those duties when the drilling and practice of arms is called for, or for the defense of the ship. Some of the watch will always be armed, either aloft or at the ward room and armory, but you are, as we all are when needed, working men. The title of Marine allows you a certain added gravity. An added measure of respect. You will have the best muskets, the finest powder, and perhaps once we are ashore, some other finery. I'm not certain whether uniforms are in order, but we shall discuss that matter in time."

"Thank you, Sah." Morrell replied, and he was shortly echoed.

"Then to your duties, Gentlemen."

They went out, and William asked the Masters to return with those crew members of the Larboard Marines when they were ready.

Mr. Lasseter stood like a statue peering out into the night at the spot where he last noted the ship they had seen. His concentration shifted to the waist when several crewmen came out of the aft passage way, all bearing muskets and speaking in glib tones. Seeing this he nodded slowly.

"There be th' Starb'd Watch Marines.... "

He stepped quickly to the fore rail.

"Starb'd Marines! Report aft!"

He barked and all eyes looked at him. All the Larboard Watch and the newly appointed marines. everyone seemed frozen in time, then slowly the marines filed aft to the break in the deck, looking up to the QuarterMaster. He looked at them in the dim light, passing a critical eye over each one of them.

"Very goode... congradulations on yer newly assigned positions..."

As he was speaking, the Master-at-Arms came out of the main hatch and was faced with the line of marines. He turned to see the Quartermaster directly above him.

"Mister Lasseter, Sah... Cap'n requests th' Larb'd watch who 'r ta be marines ta report to 'im..."

Dorian nodded.

"I has suspected as much..."

He turned his attention back to the Starboard Watch Marines.

"My apologies, but I am in need of you to be on duty for a touch longer... I need you ta replace those of the Larb'd watch for a short while, so they may be addressed by our Cap'n... Please take yer former positions so, Ciaran, Siren, Flint, Marchande, Woodington, Smyth, n' Hingerty can report ta th' Cap'n..."

They responded with a single voice,

"Aye-aye, Sah!"

They turned and headed to their respective assigned places, and each crewmember they replaced headed for the Wardroom...

~LARBOARD WATCH ON DUTY~

23 July, 1704 Aboard the Watch Dog

First bell of the Morning Watch

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Movement below had her peering down and though lantern light spilled silhouettes, they were just that, shadowy specters upon the deck causing a shiver to run up her spine. A barked command had her struggling to make out any detail for though she was not certain it had sounded clearly like the voice of Mr. Lasseter. She waited a length of time, her gaze cautiously scanning for trouble and finally assuring herself that there would be none she resumed her duties gazing out to sea and the last known position on the horizon the other ship had lain.

She rolled her shoulders bringing a hand up to scratch at her forehead before frowning and peering down again as another made his way aloft to relay the message she was to report below. Tilting her head with a frown she let her mind race over a mental checklist for her duties and could think of no reason to be summoned. As she swung about to begin her descent she noticed Ciaran also making his way down. She chewed thoughtfully on her lower lip contemplating this summons.

Her curiosity had her moving as fast as she dared in the dim to non existent light till her feet finally touched deck with a muted thump. Shivering again she patted her stomach as it growled and waited for Ciaran and as he approached she whispered, “They summoned you to? What is amiss, unless they wish to prise us on the ship spotted earlier.” Ciaran gave a smile “Perhaps, Shall we report?” So saying he swung on his heel leaving her to trail like a wraith in his wake.

She passed several of the starboard watch now bearing arms and felt her eyes widen, anticipation settled low in her belly and she paused to look out over the rail again to the calm seas before moving quickly after Ciaran and down below keeping close to him till they entered the brightly lit wardroom causing her to blink several times to adjust.

Seeing William and Mr. Pew she knuckled to both then stood silently by Ciaran. Remebering her earlier encounter with Mr. Pew she felt her face heat in the light and shifted warily wondering if this summons were about that, but if so why would Ciaran attend. She kept her gaze straight ahead waiting and wondering.

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

July 23, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Between one and two bells of Morning Watch

The Captain and Master-at-Arms waited for the return of Mister Franklin. This long pause made for some awkward able seamen, for none of them were certain why they were here. Their eyes fell on the arms laid across the table and in the hands of Mister Pew.

Mister Franklin returned to the Ward Room and took up his place next to Mister Pew.

"All of them are assigned, Cap'n."

"Thank you, Mister Franklin." William faced the company, and as before, he explained the new nature of their calling. He was careful this time to include mention of the pay and the future possibility of uniforms. He was specific in his mention of the duties of the able seamen, reminding them that all responsibilities of the ship remained. He watched each of them for reaction as he did so.

Ciaran looked pleased passed words. Siren looked thoughtful. Marchande was still and outwardly quiet. Bill Flint, who already looked the part in his tattered, marine uniform, smiled a grateful nod, his eyes falling on the much desired muskets to which he was accustomed. Woodington and Hingerty looked a little surprised, but not alarmed. Smyth was grinning through a mouth, now so recently minus a tooth. His swollen lip split a little as he did so, but he seemed not to mind.

William gave the floor over to Mister Pew, who repeated his previous comments, reminding them that he was now in charge of them and they would answer to him for any trouble or praise. Both he and the Captain asked if there were any questions.

~LARBOARD WATCH ON DUTY

As Flint and Marchande entered followed by Woodington, Hingerty and Smyth she quickly shifted more to allow the others into the room. Her gaze had gone to the muskets in question but figured they were preparing in case of issues with the known ship lurking on the horizon. She listened intently to The Captain as he spoke and blinked once, felt her heart beat twice before what he said was fully digested.

She was completely stunned but her mind soon took on a thoughtful bent as she looked to the other ‘chosen' and felt a pride that she had been selected and only hoped their esteem in her had not been misplaced. But she would make sure that she would live up to their expectations, and her own.

As they were told to choose weapons she knuckled with the others and waited till she could slip in between Smyth and Flint to pick her own. Satisfied she quickly stepped back into place and awaited further instruction. She only hoped no one could hear the loud pounding of her heart, Adrenaline now her companion for the day.

As the Larboard Marines were assigned to their muskets, William stepped to the stair leading to the quarterdeck.

"Send down the Quartermaster!" he called, turning to watch each new marine return to the line.

He noted, that like the Starboard Marines, each man, and now woman, stood taller then they had before. They all stood at attention, though neither of the Masters had asked them to do so. It was an unconscious act, he supposed. Moments before they had been able seaman. Now they were a trusted handful, picked to guard ship and possessions.

William also noted a change in Masters Pew and Franklin. Each of them was a leader of soldiers now. It was a small title on a small ship, but they carried the responsibility with no less decorum than any admiral.

When every one of them was armed, William dismissed them with his thanks, asking the Masters to remain behind for the moment. Mister Pew called each of the new marines forward by name and sent each of them from the room to their respective stations of duty. They went out to replace the lingering members of the Starboard Marines even as the Quartermaster arrived in the room.

~LARBOARD WATCH ON DUTY

Mr. Lasseter made his way down the aft companionway, directly into the Wardroom. There he wached the last of the Larboard Watch Marines exiting foreward, and the Captain, Master-at-Arms and Master-Sargent standing around the table.

"Cap'n, Mister Pew, Mister Franklin...."

He stretched his neck and rubbed his left shoulder, being careful not to disturb the dressing on his wounded arm, not that it had been bothering him.

"I see all th' marines 'r settled..."

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Aye sah, that they are. Seem a bit honored 's well 's surprised." I leaned on the table with both hands and let out a deep breath. Wondering if my choice of Siren was a good one. Then remembering her run in with Owen, I knew she could hold her own. Other thougths of her also began to run through my mind....

As they were dismissed she knuckled again and looked to the weapon know in her hands, sighing heavily she turned to listen to Mr. Pew then knuckled yet again heading back to the deck and passing Mr. Lasseter on his way down. She knuckled to him then hurried to keep up with Flint and the others letting their muted voices washing over her, she listened with half an ear too absorbed in what had just happened and feeling as if she were dreaming. But the weight of the weapon in her hand was only too real..and all too deadly.

She licked suddenly dry lips and shook her head clearing away her doubts and moved towards the rigging and looked about once, slipped the musket over her shoulder and headed aloft yet again. She looked out over the sea thinking that time had moved slow, it felt as if it should be sunrise by now, and yet she still felt a bit dazed by the recent events. Reaching her post and swinging a leg over and taking her position she shifted the musket, it’s weight unfamiliar and yet..comforting.

William crossed the room to Dorian and they spoke quietly for a moment. They seemed to be discussing the 'Dog herself, and perhaps the mystery ship sighted in the night. What they were in fact discussing was something altogether different. Dorian looked up more than once, his eyes on Mister Pew and Mister Franklin. He nodded, and the two masters exchanged a look that was little more than curiosity.

Then William crossed to the bench beneath the stern windows and fetched up four glasses and a heavy bottle. Dorian crossed to the lock box containing the Ilex Fortune. While the Captain filled the four glasses, the Quartermaster brought out the ironwood box with the unknown family crest on the lid. The small box was placed on the table in front of William as he passed a glass to each officer.

"Gentlemen. To a 'Dog armed with sharper teeth than before."

Mister Pew gave a solid 'Aye!' and Mister Franklin a hearty 'Here! Here!'. The Quartermaster simply raised his glass with an appreciative smile and they all drank down to the bottom of their glasses. Then William set his glass down, took up the bottle, and filled them again. Once they were filled, he opened the small box to reveal the inlaid pistols hidden with the compartment of green velvet.

"Mister Pew. Mister Franklin. It is my pleasure to present this gift to the Masters of the watch Marines."

Both men said nothing for a moment. Then, even when it seemed as though they had found words to speak, William added a little more to his speech.

"I cannot attest to their quality, apart from the obvious detail of the inlay and those precious metals set into them. Having been in the cave for so long, you may wish to be cautious when first firing these lovely pistols. Unlike your finished and reliable selves, these weapons are not proved."

As the Captain finished his speech, Dorian watched as the two Masters continued to stand and gawk at the open box. Still they remained speechless. With a slightly exasperated sigh, he stepped over and removed the two pistols from the case and held them by the barrels, presenting the handles to the new owners.

"Go on now, they won't bite ye..."

Both Mr. Pew and Franklin chuckled as they took their pistols in hand and looked at the intricate inlays in the stocks The QuarterMaster turned to the Captain and chuckled as well.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Thankee sah, 'Tis 'n honour sah." I stammered out.

Eric nodded as well and instead of a salute, he offered his hand as to shake on a course we had all committed to. The pistols were passed around in our small group with each one of us looking at a different intricate detail. Stories of our favorite small arms that evening were passed around as often as the pistols were, with some details as embellished as the weapons themselves. At the bottom of a second glass, Eric and I excused ourselves as to take up our positions on watch. Again, a handshake was exchanged for a salute as we began to exit the room.

"Mister Pew," said our Quartermaster quietly, "y'r pistol." Mister Lasseter spun the pistol on his finger and grabbed the barrel handing the stock to me.

"Aye sah, 'tis new t' me t' b' carryin' th' pistol sah." I tried to reason as to why I had forgotten the newly acquired gift.

The Captain and our Quartermaster laughed as we closed the door behind us.

July 23, 1704 - The Ward Room

Between two and three bells of the Morning Watch

"Lips may whisper about those pistols." William said aloud, once the room was left to him and the Quartermaster.

"Aye." Dorian returned, though he seemed none too concerned.

William drained the last of his glass. "Let it be given out that part of my portion in shares will be paid over against the value of the pistols."

"No man aboard will begrudge th' Masters-atArms for a fine pistol." Dorian replied, and it came out sounding as much like an observation, as a Quartermaster's stern injunction. William smiled and offered the heavy bottle one last time, but Dorian shook his head, so he returned it to the bench. Then William scrutinized the Quartermaster a moment.

"If you require any rest, you may have it. I can send for you if the ship out there proves threatening."

~LARBOARD WATCH ON DUTY

"Aye Cap'n... some rest would be a grande thing... if m'nerves will allow... Seein' tha' ship has me gut tellin' me ta be aware... But I shall reitre fer a time from th' deck... thankee...."

William nodded with a warm smile, knowing all too well what he meant. He had often 'gone by his gut' in certain situations in the past. Dorian gave a shallow bow and turned towards the door into the passageway to his quarters. Through the door and a handful of paces away and he was in his own space. He first set his hammock to rights, then proceeded to disarm and undress down to his shirt and slops. He checked his Dragoon pistols, making sure they were as he had left them earlier, carefully drew his sword and checked the blade. Pushing it back into its scabbard he then hung it on the wall hook. Into his hammock he went, settled in and retrieved his sea service pistol to take its place across his belt. He lay there for atleast one turn of the glass before his fatigue overtook him, and shortly a light snore eminated from his cabin...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

July 23, 1704 - Aloft on the Watch Dog

Three bells of Morning Watch

With Ciaran's return to the main top, he and McGinty continued sharing the roost a short while, both watching the distant shadow of the ship as it continued along the line that would intersect with their path. Somewhere up ahead they might meet, though it was likely by their progress, that the 'Dog would pass before them.

"Time you were abed, John."

"I am not tired."

"Tired has little to do with this. Go down and pass word to the officer on deck, then off to your hammock."

McGinty did not like retiring with a sighted ship on the horizon, but with no eminent or obvious threat, he could think of no good reason to stay aloft. He nodded, secured his spyglass, and departed the main top.

Ciaran returned to watching the ship and the horizon at once. He watched the other ship intently. He watched her for any alteration in canvas or course. He also watched the sea around her. The ship made no obvious changes.

After a time he lowered his glass to rest his eyes. Peering one-eyed through a glass in the dark was giving him a mild headache. He was more accustomed to squinting both eyes against a sea of impossible blue. Night watching with no moon was an exercise in eye strain. He rubbed his one eye with the ball of his fist, looking nowhere in particular for the moment. Then he caught sight of Miss Tribbiani waving her arm to get his attention. She raised two fingers and pointed in the direction of the ship already sighted.

Ciaran snapped out the glass again and focused upon the target. At first he could see nothing. All was as it had been before. A lonely ship in a wide stretch of dark sea. Then, like a shadow dancing behind the shape of the first, he could see the unmistakable and triangular silhouette of a second ship.

"Boa..." he began instinctively, but instead, he turned his face toward Treasure and nodded. It was a gesture that simply said, "Go ahead, lass. You sighted her first."

~LARBOARD WATCH ON DUTY

She was too nervous to do more than keep a steady eye on the ship that seemed so harmless, and yet she was wound tighter than a the rope about the capstan, or a longtail cat in a room full of drunken sailors. The horizon seemed to lighten just faintly enough to make out the shadow of the ship...Ships!

Wait! She shifted and sighted through her spyglass, A second shape stalked the first. Her stomach rolled with excitement and she gripped her spyglass all the more, her breathing coming faster and she had to steady herself. She peered harder to make sure and then motioned to Ciaran who bade her make the call. She grinned to him then saluted him before calling down...

“Boat Ahoy, Second Boat Ahoy!” She called down, her voice laced with excitement and tension.

William had just made the Quarterdeck when the call came down from aloft. He stopped, surprised, but registered no outward concern.

"Send word to the Quartermaster. Tell him he may continue resting if he wishes, for I will still send for him when the time comes."

William went to the taft rail. Petee Youngblood came to the break in the decks with an unlit pipe set in his teeth, looking thoughtful. William met him amidships and they joined there in hushed conversation.

"I've not the men to man both sides, Sah."

William nodded. One ship was a simple matter, for they could match any one ship side for side. Two ships was an altogether different matter. There were too few men and women aboard to man all the guns. At best, they would be half manned on both sides if it came to that. William put the idea of broadsides from two fronts out of his mind.

"We aren't yet engaged, Mister Youngblood. See every other gun unstowed, and quietly if you please."

"Aye, Cap'n."

As the door had closed behind us Eric and I made our way to the rail with the pistols secure in our waists. The Captain joined us on the Quarterdeck and padded both of us on the back. Discussing our leave and what plans lie ahead at Martinique, a female voice suddenly rang out from the fore top.

“Boat Ahoy, Second Boat Ahoy!”

Eric and I ran down the stairs and stood in the waist peering over the gunwale. I look up and cup my hands to my mouth, calling to Siren, "Whereabouts gerl??"