The Watch Dog

William Brand

Captain Lasseter nodded abruptly and turned to his new desk. He took out the ledger and placed it in the hands of Preston.

“I’ll be joining Captain Brand ashore… Pick some men for the search for the missin’ crew, Ships Master Whittin’ferd…”

He turned and began dressing for shore. He checked all his pistols and extra loads, selected another dagger and his Mortuary sword. Now dressed almost exactly as William he turned back to Preston.

“I leave th’ Lucy in yer capable hands, Preston… I’ll be back…. Soon…”

He turned back to William.

“Shall we?”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

August 3, 1704 - Aboard the Lucy

"Aye." William said, though he was tempted to add 'Whitingford' as a question as he went, but didn't. They met Claude Marchande amidships, where, armed and supplied with coin, they departed the Lucy bound for several destinations.

Elsewhere on the Cul du Sac Royal

Their departure was noted by the young lieutenant and First Mate of the Navarra, Roldán De la Cruz, who ordered out the jollyboat for a trip to the Watch Dog. He chose this opportune moment to visit the frigate, hoping that his choice of timing would lend him certain advantages aboard ship. In the grand scheme of things it would prove a very small move on an otherwise grand chessboard.

The night would see larger events unfold than this.

Larboard Watches on Duty

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Tudor made her way around the medical rooms, gathering diffrent items that had been listed among those to be sent ashore. She moved mainly in a memory filled silence, saying very few words to Mr. Badger as they went about the packing.

Halfway into their work, a knock was heard at the door. "Yes, Miss Tribianni?" Treasure was greeted by Tudor as she poked her head in the door.

"I just wanted to let Mr. Badger and yourself know that a boat from the Navarra is on it's way across to us."

Tudor paused in her actions and looked across the room. "Interesting. Wonder what that could be about." She pondered aloud.

August 3, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

"I best go up." Jacob said aloud, to himself more than anyone else. He left Jannes Kampaert and Robert Hollis in Tudor's charge as he went out to the weatherdecks. The night was clear, but Jacob was experiencing an unexplained irritation in his bowels and he was not much in a mood for surprises or fine weather. He watched the boat on approach and welcomed the Lieutenant with a brashness that caused the young officer's smile to falter a little.

"Permission to come aboard, good sah?" He inquired.

"To what purpose?" Jacob shot back, and Ciaran turned away from the rail with a smile he hid from everyone but Miss Tribbiani.

Again the Lieutenant's smile altered a bit, but he persisted without pause. "Permission to come aboard and speak with Miss Smith?"

Mister Badger did not say anything to this for a long while and the small boat was forced to lay along side at a distance, while Jacob considered the matter. His expression was not friendly, though in truth this was due to a plate of fish he had dined upon earlier that day, and had nothing to do with the Lieutenant. Still, never to keep a bad mood from an undeserving fellow, Jacob let his furrowed gaze burn the young man a bit before he answered.

"A moment, sah." Jacob finally said and turned again to the surgery. He came in at the door directly off the weatherdeck and called for Tudor, who stood at the door which separated the surgery and the surgeon's private quarters. "There's a lad to see you along the Larboard rail."

A puzzled bemusement crossed her face. "Is that so?" She had to admit the event was novel to her. Without asking, she assumed that it was the Lieutenant. With a shrug, she called some instructions over her shoulder to Kampaert and Hollis, then made her way towards the deck.

"Ah, Lieutenant De la Cruz." She said approaching the rail. "To what do I owe the pleasure?" She said in a care free tone.

This was more to the Lieutenant's liking and he beamed a bit in a way that was controlled and casual at the same time, turning almost at once to his practiced charm. As he greeted her he removed his hat and even managed a bow without upsetting the boat.

"I would be honored if you would join me ashore for a quiet supper and some conversation, Miss Smith."

"Well, I must speak to the officer of the deck before I go anywhere, as I am on duty. But why not come aboard while I seek him out. No reason for you to wait out there."

She returned to where Jacob was overseeing the goings on in the surgical wards. "Sir, De la Cruz has invited me ashore for a meal. I understand that I am on duty, but with your permission, I'd like to go. Not only could I potentially glean some more information on the Navarra, but I could also see Doctor Fitzgerald's things safely ashore." She could tell Mr. Badger was not convinced.

"I do not think that anyone should travel abroad without a companion." He seemed very hesitant, and not a little irritated.

She tried to hide her snort. "Sir, I hardly think the Lieutenant will be likely to share any kind of useful information if we are chaperoned. But I assure you, I am more then capable of taking care of my self."

With a grudging nod and a wave of his hand he sent her on her way. "But Miss Smith," She paused and turned to face him again. "I know that I am stating the obvious, but go fully armed."

She just grinned a very mischevious grin at him. "But of course." She saluted him, then turned on her heels, and returned to the guest.

"Well, Lieutenant, it seems I have been given leave, provided I drop some cargo off ashore. Now, if you could just bear with me as I change into something, less . . . worn." She said, with a grin looking at her slops, shirt and vest.

Lieutenant De la Cruz smiled and repeated his previous bow, though with less grace, causing a few protests from those men at the oars. When he had steadied himself again he nodded and said, "I await your arrival, Miss Smith."

Tudor left the rail bound for her own belongings and the Lieutenant was left to bob upon the bay, though he did exchange his share of composed looks with Treasure Tribbiani, who stood near the rail in Ciaran's company. She did not have many pleasant looks for the Lieutenant, but neither were they unpleasant, though she watched him and watched him until he could not help but watch her back. It was a staring contest of sorts, Treasure scrutinizing the young Spaniard while he observed her back again with an interest that seemed almost aloof, though he smiled at her once after a fashion.

Argus barked once at him, and Treasure chided him for it, though she petted him a little after and said, "Good dog."

As soon as she reached the trunks of her belongings, Tudor fell to her knees to sort through the myriad of items. Quickly finding the articles of clothing she sought, she donned the chosen shift, stays, petticote and green wool mantua with a nimble speed. After pulling her hair up and pinning it in place with an italian stilleto dagger and making sure she had her sets of daggers and muff pistol secreted away, she made her way back to where De Le Cruz waited.

Roldán De la Cruz was all smiles, grace and decorum as he assisted Miss Smith into the small boat. Her descent into the waiting craft was noted by tested men and new recruits alike, for the men who knew her well smiled to see her in a dress, while the new prison recruits smiled to see a woman in any manner of dress that she so chose, so long as she was a woman. Also, the nights aboard the Watch Dog were quiet and filled with few entertainments but some small work and watches and little else but music and conversation, so the men and one woman watched them go. Argus even heralded them one last time with another bark and Treasure ruffled his bristling hair.

"What are you gaping at you rogues?" Jacob shouted, coming onto the weatherdecks with Hollis and Kampaert hefting many a trunk over and down into the waiting boat. "See to your work or hammocks!" he called, and his bowels made his tone a thing which none of them could ignore. Even Argus was quieted by a look and Jacob smiled to himself despite his stomach.

Then with permission, the small boat cast off.

Two bells of the Second Dog Watch

Aboard the Lucy

Those of the first dog watch now worked as the crews of the second dog watch enjoyed the evening’s repast. Ben, having been relieved previously for the first dog watch, worked quickly splicing damaged line for the running rigging of the top sail. He was called away for a short time to assist in loading furniture from the wharf to the captain’s quarters. When that assignment was completed daylight was nearly gone from the sky. Undaunted Ben continued his repair work. More by the feel of the line in his hand than what his eyes could tell him, he finished the last of the repair by candle light.

Crew on leave began to stake claim on deck for the most advantages and comfortable places to rest and perhaps spend the night. Mister Quigley, feeling rather sure that he would be awakened if they Lucy were to set sail, decided that where he sat in the forecastle at the base of the bowsprit his back against the sheet bit his feet stretched the forward was as good a place as any and better than most. The ocean breeze was constant and the sky clear, music began someplace down wind of Ben. He could not be sure it was coming from someplace on the Lucy or beyond …he did not care. He was free once again. Even if all he had was his daily bread and his freedom he could live contented. He had given an honest days work. He saw how the previous crew members were rewarded for their efforts and heard tales of what fortunes had been found. He closed his eyes and listened to the sounds of freedom as he sat quietly at some unknown time he began to drift in and out of consciousness.

August 3, 1704, Aboard the Lucy

Both Captains had departed the Lucy , each with their own agenda.

Preston had his own agenda as well. He wanted to retrieve his belongs that Eric had brought to him while at the chirurgeon's home. He lit a small shaded lantern and brought it with him onto the deck. Nigel was in an awkward position near the larboard rail and continued to move about oddly. Looking closer, Preston could see Nigel sketching Cut-throat in a small ledger as the Master Gunner inhaled his pipe deeply.

"Evenin' Mister Brisbane," Preston said quietly as not to disturb Nigel.

"Sah." Nigel nodded as they watched as Cut-throat moved twixt the cannon and harassed the newer crew for not lashing the cannon correctly.

Making his way to the waist slowly, Preston saw two of the men to which Mister Johnson's words were aimed. By the time he had arrived a shouting match had ensued between the Master Gunner of the Watch Dog and former Gunner's Mate from the Bullrush. Peter Norman had taken offense to the berating and had enough. He had thrown down the cable and began yelling back at Cut-throat. John Kingman and Nicholas Trodd, both Peter's shipmates from the Bullrush had tried to stem Peter's anger but even they fell on deaf ears.

Charles Goddon had heard the commotion and made his way aft where he saw Peter and Cut-throat about to come to blows. Charles assuredly walked between the two men and struck down Peter where he stood with a solid blow to the temple. The crew stood dumbfounded. Preston raised an eyebrow and even Nicholas Johnson himself was a bit confused. Kingman and Trodd nodded to Goddon and drug Peter away.

Turning, the man spoke confidently, "Begging yer pardon Master Gunner, Peter's got a bit of a temper eh." The man stuck out his hand in a half-apology, half-introduction. "Names Goddon, Charlie Goddon, former Bo'suns mate on the Bullrush. Most o' these boys served with me for a number o' months afore we landed here." A wry smile etched the edges of Charlie's mouth at the word 'landed'.

Nicholas Johnson shook the man's hand, but never removed the pipe from his mouth. The smoke curled around the edges of his cap and disappeared. "Anymore trouble from him," Cut-throat finally took the pipe from his mouth and used it to point at Peter Norman, "An' he'll wake up back in a cell."

"Aye sah, you'll have none of it from him," Charlie Goddon guaranteed.

Cut-throat turned to see the crew in nervous anticipation. "Back t' yer watches, the lot of you!"

Preston put his hand on Charles' shoulder, "See t' your boy. Have one of th' powder monkeys fetch a rag an' a bucket o' water fer th' cut."

"Aye sah, Mister..."

"Pew. Ship's Master."

"Right, yes sah."

"Mister Goddon,"

"Charlie, sah."

"Very well then, I'd like a word 'n th' Ward Room, Charlie, upon a report 'f Mister Norman."

"Right away sah."

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

The streets of St. Louis

The Captains, along with the couple men of their crews, made their way along the darkened streets of the town. After a time, they split up. William, Dorian, and Claude continued on to the Chateau Anse, while the others went elsewhere on their search. Along the way there were several shops that Captain Brand took time to stop in and make small purchases. Some Dorian and or Claude accompanied him. Other times not. Dorian had pulled out his pipe at one point and gently puffed on it as they walked, as for him this trek was a needed ‘leg stretch’ for him, so he took all the leisure he could, while he could. He even had no qualms with carrying some of the items William had purchased. Soon they were standing in front of the torch lit doors of the Chateau.

“Well, we’ve arrived…”

Dorian shifted his baldric by the throat of his sword scabbard, which also served to loosen the blade within. He shrugged his shoulders to comfort in the layers of clothing, and followed that up by cracking his knuckles and shaking out his wrists. Both William and Claude were watching him, and as he finished, Dorian looked at them with a ‘Is there a problem?’ look.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Earlier, Miss Ashcombe had seen the tray and it's now empty vessels to the galley. She waited as Mr. Marsh took inventory down to the last utensil and only then did he smile more genuinely. She left him with a curtsey and smiled herself, unseen on her way back up the companionway to the main deck. The men whom had delivered the furniture were just leaving the ship. As Jenny slowed her pace, she saw both Captains looking quite smart leave with a small party. She stood against the corner of the quarterdeck stairs and larbord rail until they had gone past. Shortly Mr. Pew exited as well. As he did she bid him to allow her to enter which he did saying "Mind yer step now" and locked the door as he turned to go.

The ward room held the scent of fresh varnish and Jenny stooped to light the lamp. She stumbled against the new table which was in a different position and slightly higher than the one it had replaced. As the warm glow filled the space she saw that the small world of the Lucys Ward room had changed yet again since her arrival. First was the canvas partition and now there was a handsome new desk and table.

She dared not inspect the desk, but ran a hand along the fine wood of the table and noted the chairs which folded against the corner. Jenny walked aft and closed one window against the breeze which caused the lamp to smoke. The flame steadied and she settled upon the stern bench to watch as much as was visible ashore from the Lucy's position. She wished for a shawl both for modesty and against the night air and resolved to ask if one could be purchased before they sailed. Perhaps, she thought, Miss Mc Donough might call on her again soon.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

The sun was all but settled behind the horizon when they reached the pier. After disembarking himself, the Lieutenant offered an arm to Tudor as she climbed out of the jollywat. With instructions given as to where to leave the chests that had been brought ashore with them, Tudor and De La Cruz started to make their way through the city streets, just as lamp lighters started illuminating the streets.

August 3, 1704 - On the streets of St. Louis

The Lieutenant's conversation was sparse at first, touching mainly on the subjects of the Navarra and the repairs being made to Le Vedette. He was very forthcoming about the number of men they had lost on their voyage to Martinique. He touched many times on the subject of Captain Georges Voulet, who had perished saving his own ship and the Navarra both. He did not mention his own Capitán Avendano during his narration, but he did praise the Navarra's Doctor several times.

Like the first time they had spoken, he seemed willing to talk much about his life and recent experiences. And, like before, his eyes took in much, for he was ever watching the various nooks and alleyways of the darkening streets. They walked in the middle of the road, for few carts were out and this afforded them an open view of everything about them. They were not alone on their journey, for one of the Lieutenant's men had joined them on their way, though he was polite enough to accompany them at a distance.

"One cannot be too careful." Roldán explained.

Soon they reached a seemingly modest looking establishment which proved to be a unique, and surprising lavish affair. It was an unusual place for dining, having been built within the remnants of an old church. Most of the architecture remained just as it had been when the building had served as a place of worship. Now it served for worship of another kind, for it was filled with many comfortable tables and private corners for the purpose of dining in adoration of fine cuisine in the company of like worshippers. The whole of the place was lit by the sconces and hanging lamps which had once illuminated many a mass. A few of the tables were long enough that pews served for seating. Even some of the original stained glass was intact, so that the whole effect of the place was not lost on the patrons. And if the atmosphere where not enough, the name of the place itself provided emphasis, for what had once been L'église de St. Martha, was now La cuisine de St. Martha.

Lieutenant De La Cruz lead Miss Smith to a table already waiting for them. It was set with a well chosen vintage and only two chairs, the Lieutenant's man finding a place by himself elsewhere.

"Vontade este...Pardon. I use English less frequently." He drew out her chair. "Will this serve, Miss Smith?"

Three bells of the Second Dog Watch

Larboard Watches on Duty

She gave a pleased smile. "This will be lovely Lieutenet." She said as she seated herself in the chair that was pulled out for her, making sure to properly smooth out the back of her skirts before she sat. She made a merry coment to De Le Cruz about his forsight in having a table prepaired for them. "You must have been very sure of my response before even I was." She said mirthfully.

Soon, the idle conversation took up again, Tudor listening very carefully to every word spoken, in case to find any insight by tone or turn of phrase. She also found herself absorbing the atmosphere. She had seen many lovely buildings in her travels, but she found a simple elegnace in this converted building that spoke to her, as she gazed around the room and took in ever line and corner in the architecture. It always pleased her immensely when there was purpose and pleasure in such outings.

August 3, 1704 - At La cuisine de St. Martha

A man overshadowed their table with a quiet, but pleasant smile, and there followed a fast interchange of French, between the servant and the Lieutenant. At one point Roldán looked to Tudor and gesturing to the man asked, "If I may...?"

"Please." she returned.

The two men continued to converse, exchanging many familiar words. Tudor recognized 'poulet', 'citron' and 'potage'. The word pudding also passed between them once, needing no translation from one language to the next. After a few moments, the man slipped off to the kitchens and they were alone again.

Roldán made a point of looking at her without a word for several long seconds. It was a brash gesture, but the look itself was a genuine compliment nonetheless. "Your Captain Brand is a wealthy man." He said finally, with an undertone intended to further the compliment as he poured the wine.

Her brow arched as she gazed at him inquisitivly over the goblet she took in hand. "Well, sir, what is one man's wealth could just as easily be another man's useless baubles." She sipped her wine, trying to asses his words. She was never good with open admiration, leastwise when she was not playing a part, and she had yet to decide what part to play to the Spanish Lieutenant. Her mind raced frantically, but left her wordless where she wanted to be cunning and witty. So she simply took another swallow of the wine, and set the goblet down, freeing her hands to smooth out some creases in the green wool that pooled in her lap. "I suppose the question that arises is how do others see another's wealth then."

The Lieutenant smiled a little as he filled his own glass. Then he looked about the room. "Perhaps the compliment seems...inappropriate in this place. Perhaps in time it will find favor, though in truth I spoke it in truth..." he leaned in a little as if in confidence. "...and in church." He paused a moment then, as if choosing his next words carefully. He picke up his glass and sipped it to wet his purpose. "In truth, I have asked you here on other matters."

"Other matters...?" she said by way of prompting him, though it wasn't really a question. Something about the Navarra, Le Vedette, and his most Catholic Capitán Eustaquio Alano Avendano made such 'other matters' inevitable.

"My Master, Capitán Avendano, wishes to travel to Trinidad in the company of a second ship. Le Vedette will not survive such a voyage until she is repaired, and no other ship but the Watch Dog is bound for Spanish shores at this time. My Capitán has certain doubts...no...certain..."

"Misgivings." Tudor offered.

"Sí." He nodded, pausing again. He looked at her evenly. "Your Captain has a history."

Feeling on more familar ground Tudor looked squarely at her dinner companion. "Indeed, Captain Brand has a history. Just as I do. And I am very sure you do as well. In fact, as far as I am aware, every sentient being that has breathed air has a history of some kind." She gave a cocky smile. "But what event is it in my captain's history that has your Captain unsure of his credibility? For truth to tell I am very keen to know." She didn't take her gaze from his face. "For I know as much of his history as I do of yours - a basic summary of life and events that brought you to this place, as well as a few allusions and suspicions to more intriguing yet less important details. I must admit that I myself, and most of my historied companions, work on the belife that it is a man's current actions that is the measure with which to judge him by, not previous ones. But tell me, do, of what has been rumored and said, for I love to hear stories, be they fiction or biography." Her tone was not defensive, simply matter-of-fact. She had no wish to even try to deny that there was undoubtably many misadventures attached to Captain Brand. But likewise she had no wish to admit to what she did not know for sure. "Do tell me of your good Captain's concerns and I will do what I can to say whether or not they are founded in reason."

"He certainly enjoys a fierce loyalty." Roldán began. "A trait which has not gone unnoticed by my master."

The food arrived then and for a moment they did not continue. Several elegant dishes were presented in quick succession, with wordy explanations following each. Roldán seemed far less interested in the food, as did Tudor, but they bore the servant awhile and even managed a bite or two when he was gone before Roldán continued.

Then, what began as a tale stemming from a very few well established facts about William Brand, soon grew into a long narration which included some three shipwrecks, a half dozen treasonous acts and one harrowing tale about the wholesale slaughter of some one hundred men, women and children aboard a merchantmen off the coast of the Azores. Roldán explained each rumor as he understood them with the detached air of one who has read many such stories. He placed no emphasis on one over another, lending no personal opinion in his tone.

The he paused to eat and waited to hear what she might say.

Elsewhere at La Chateau Anse

William, Dorian and Claude made themselves known to the innkeeper, Monsieur Ferland, and his able servant, Marcel. Having rushed from errand to errand that day, William found himself hungry, so he ordered up enough food to serve some six men, hoping to reward Claude for many weary days and to provide Luigi some token befitting his recent loss. Then he caught up to bottles of fine port and left coin sufficient to cover all of this provender as they went up to visit the wounded man and his waiting companion.

Upon entering the room they found Luigi in the care of one of the serving women, come up to bind his hand with fresh bandages. Teeke Ranst was there, though nodding in a chair when they arrived. He stood up immediately and saluted both, making a report of Luigi's health and recovery in a bad mix of perfect Dutch and random, poor English.

"That will do, Mister Ranst." William said, holding up a hand. He passed a bottle of the port to the Dutchman. "Daar, goede kameraad."

"Dank u...thank you, Kapitein."

Dorian went to stand by Luigi and watched the woman work while Luigi made offhand comments about the money he would save on gloves. "A tithe of tanned leather..." he said at one point, and William couldn't help the smile which spread across his own face.

"I am glad to see you well." William said with a tone of sobriety that was in utter contrast to Luigi's mood and his state of inebriation. "We'll soon see you home again."

"If I must, sah." he returned in good spirits.

"Don't worry, Luigi. There is no hammock waiting for you. Miss Wardell has quit the ship, so you shall have the surgery for an...appartimento."

"I miei molti ringraziamenti, capitano."

They shared the second bottle then and drank a toast or two, and even the servant stayed for a drink. While Dorian and the rest talked of the day and the many comings and going of the 'Dog and Lucy, William sent the woman to find some of the men of the frigate below in the common room. She returned shortly with Owen Monahan and Nathan Bly.

'A more mismatched pair she could not have found', William thought, but he liked the choice. "Captain Lasseter and I are bound for the Fort Royal Prison on ship matters. As you both are on leave, you shall be handsomely paid to see Luigi safely aboard the Watch Dog." William emphasized this with four very round French livres.

Their 'Aye, Ayes' were well purchased and William invited them to remain and eat as the food arrived.

Eight bells of the Second Dog Watch

First Watch Begins

Larboard Watches on Duty

After barely finishing one glass of port, Dorian was happy to be on his way again, even if it was to the prison. The foulness of any prison reminded him of the floating prison he once served upon, back in his youth. Never the less he would find as much enjoyment out of this business and again pulled his pipe out, knocked the spent tobacco ash from the bowl and began packing in more of the aromatic plant. He used a small touch along the way to light it, causing William to pause for a breath or two. Now pulling well, Dorian tipped his hat to Captain Brand and they were again on their way. Soon they reached the main thoroughfare that lead up to the main doors of the Keep. The walls with their sentries looked foreboding at this hour, but did not deter the men from continuing towards the destination. Absentmindedly, Dorian’s hand found itself perched on the butt of a pistol while the other tended to his pipe. He glanced to William and noted a serious countenance on his face, but did not ask the reason. He was sure it would become apparent soon enough.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Aboard the Lucy

Preston had finished his rounds and watched things settle back into their ways. He remembered the purpose for arriving on deck and went about to find two of the crew to make their way to the Chirurgeon's for his things. Patrick O'Hara and Cyrus O'Madden were found just finishing laying the new Spars athwart the shrouds. With one foot on the rail, Cyrus was barely hanging onto the Futtock Stave just above his head, while Patrick held a shaded lantern on an oar just at Cyrus's eye level so he could finish the splice.

"Gents," Preston said as he leaned on the rail and watched the two work. "When y' lads finish up, I 'ave a task f'r ya."

"Aye sah," the two said in unison.

Preston watched a moment longer as Cyrus wove the rope around the awl and would punch it through the stay as he had done times before. He made his way to the quarterdeck and surveyed the buzz that still occurred even at this time of the evening.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

On Deck of the Lucy

Nigel Brisbane stood on the quarterdeck and once again surveyed the deck and rigging of the Lucy. He tried to wipe the sleep from his eyes, but all he did was prompt a yawn. The yawn turned into an almost visible shake of his body, and when he stopped he grimaced and even growled.

“Damn… need some coffee ‘er somat…”

He worked his legs up and down a couple times and swung his arms about. This time he stifled a yawn and clenched his teeth. Nigel paced aft and turned at the rail headed forward and down the stair into the waist. There he found Godfrey and Wayne practicing tying knots with some thin line. He gave a harsh smile to them.

“One o’ you lads, fetch me a coffee from b’low…”

Both boys jumped up and knuckled their brows and called out in unison.

“Aye-aye sah!”

Nigel held up a hand.

“Slow down lads, I just need one cup o’ coffee. Just one lad needs ta go. You, Godfrey, if ya please.”

Patrick knuckled his brow again and was gone in a flash while Geoffrey slowly sat back down and picked up his line. He looked crestfallen in the darkness, and seeing this Nigel sighed. He knelt down and picked up the other line.

“Wot knot were ya workin’ on?”

Geoffrey shrugged and fumbled with his line before answering.

“We was workin’ on a clove-hitch, sah… I almost got it figured…”

Nigel smiled and quickly worked his line into the desired knot and hooked it over a belaying pin, securing it. The young boy’s mouth popped open in surprise.

“How’s ye do that so fast? Ah, Sah?”

Nigel worked the line apart and pulled it from the pin.

“Here… here’s a trick to it…”

He went on to show the boy his trick to a fast clove-hitch and Geoffrey had mastered it just before Patrick returned with the steaming coffee for the Bo’sun.

“Patrick! Look wot Mister Brisbane showed me!”

He exclaimed and showed off his new learning. Nigel ended up spending the next hour tutoring the boys between drinking his coffee, and stifling yawns.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif