The Watch Dog

William Brand

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aboard the Lucy

Charlie Marsh had served out most of the meal when the Captain made an appearance in ‘his galley’. He was amiable enough and brought down a tray that was waiting to be taken to the wardroom.

“Ah, here’s yer meal Sir. Didn’t know who was ta brings in to ye, so I just…”

Dorian took the tray from the Cook and gave a short nod.

“I’ll take th’ tray m’self Mister Marsh, next meal I’ll have someone ta gather it.”

Charlie gave a quick salute and nod, mumbled something and returned to his galley fire. The Captain, laden with the tray headed topside and aft, he bothered young Mister Wayne to open the door to the Wardroom for him. He entered and cautiously took the couple of steps into the darker space. His vision adjusted soon enough and there before him were Miss McDonough and Miss Ashcombe, alias “Poole”. They stood as he entered, Miss McDonough snapped off a salute and Miss Ashcombe followed after a fashion.

“Miss McDonough… Miss… Poole….”

He sat the tray on the table and removed the cover, revealing some fish, bread, and cheese.

“Join me in th’ midday meal?”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

"And what has happened to Luigi!?" William said so loudly that it certainly carried from the room.

Tudor looked surprised, for Luigi's injury was the gossip of the moment. Everyone who had witnessed Luigi's injury the night before had returned with tales of dueling and exaggeration, so that by now, Luigi had fought some six armed men at once in his chivalrous charge into danger.

"Where is he?" William asked, not waiting for the first answer at all.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

With a quirk of red brow, she paused before commenting, trying to form the best words. "I know none of the particulars Sir. Gossip runs amok. The best I can make out from all the hyperbole is that he was involved in some sort of skirmish - I know not why or with whom - and that his finger was lost." She looked squarely at the captain. "All this I have heard just in passing and have not even a first hand account of the wounds, so other then that I cannot say." She held the items in her hand and waited for response. "Will there be anything else, sir?"

Miss "Poole" and Miss McDunough stood as the Captain entered. Their postures relaxing the slightest bit as no one else entered with or behind him. Jenny followed suit to Murins salute and knuckled the edge of the green hat as she'd seen the crewmembers do. She felt a small bit foolish for doing so as the slightest of amusement pulled at the corner of the captain's lips. He came bearing a tray and invited them to join him. Jenny realized she was hungry and the fare looked inviting. She waited quietly for one or the other to sit, trying to find her composure in the midst of dizzying turns of events.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Wardroom of the Lucy

Dorian stood and waited for a response from the ladies as they stood in awkward silence. He finally broke the silence.

“Yea? Nay? Wot’ll it be?”

Both women nodded their heads, both looking slightly embarrassed. The Captain held out both hands, gesturing to two chair for them to sit. Once they were seated he pulled his chair closer and sat a moment, then shook his head, stood and fetched some tankards from the shelf. He filled them from the pitched on the tray.

“Beer?”

He set a vessel before each of them and his place, sat and began to serve out the meal. Both women fidgeted, each being used to being the server, not the served.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

"Will there be anything el...?" William began, astounded that one more thing should have escaped his notice amidst the turmoil of the morning. "Good gods."

He pushed past her into the corridor and called for Mister Warren. Jim met him amidships and a flurry of inquiries passed from William's lips. Jim explained that Luigi had remained at La Chateau Anse in the company of Teeke Ranst, until the Dutchman could be relieved of the duty of watching the Italian, or until Luigi himself could be brought again to the 'Dog, as the doctor had ordered him to remain. Still, Jim himself had not been present at the inn, so he suggested Willem Tuygertgen to explain any further details.

"Maddie!" William bellowed and the Dutchman appeared post haste.

"Kapitein."

"Why was I not told of that harm which befell Luigi?"

"Sah...I..." Mister Tuygertgen stammered, uncertain of his English. "I thought you would...eh...u zou het weten."

"No." William said, sternly.

"Misser McDonough...she to het schip came...and...I..."

"Miss McDonough..." William repeated, pressing the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger.

"It was she that was threatened at La Chateau Anse, Cap'n." Jim explained. "A few of the lads said a wealthy man struck the finger off with a sword. It seems that Luigi came to her aid and was wounded for his troubles."

William nodded, still pressing the bridge of his nose. "Was a doctor fetched to him?" William asked without opening his eyes.

"Aye, Kapitein." Mister Tuygertgen returned. "Mijnhe...Mister Ranst is with him."

William looked about. Tudor had appeared on deck by this time, laden down Jacob's shares. William noted her arrival and thanked Jim and Maddie for their added information. "Mister Badger! You'll accompany Miss Smith to La Chateau Anse with shares for Teeke and Luigi."

"Aye, Sah."

"Mister Ranst is to remain with Luigi until he can be brought again to the Watch Dog. I will fetch them before the end of the day." William waited a moment too see that his orders were understood. Then he called Jim Warren to follow him aft to receive shares.

Between Two and Three Bells of the Afternoon Watch

~Larboard Watches on Duty~

Miss Ashcombe sat quietly and listened as Murin updated the Captain on all that she had acomplished in regards to purchases for the new uniforms and they compared their visits with Mr. Pew. She did toast the man's health as the conversation took a light turn. As she continued to share the repast in relative silence, Jenny mused that the very table which they supped upon, was quite a different scene only a short time before. She wished for coffee but lifted the heavy tankard thankful for the moment.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

At the captain's departure from where they all had gathered, Tudor simply shrugged to herself. "Well, there's that explained." She said to no one in particular though Mister Badger stood next to her. She handed him his shares that she carried then turned to look at him. "Shall we head ashore then?" She asked with a small friendly grin.

August 3, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

William offered Jim a place at the table while he gathered the man's shares. Then he slid the coin and the ledger over to him that he might sign. Jim left a well defined signature on the page and collected the coin with a hearty thanks.

"Your work, your coin." William said, blotting the page. Jim waited. William was unsure why he lingered, but then shook his head all at once as it came to him. "My apologies, Mister Warren. We shall...speak on that other matter on the morrow. I must see that all of the dogs are returned home first."

"I understand." Jim returned, nodding.

"Enjoy the evening, Jim."

"I shall, Cap'n."

Jim went out. William remained and in short order he signed out shares for Petee Youngblood and Eric Franklin. He sent Eric's shares with the Master Gunner, receiving Mister Morgan in order afterwards. Mister Morgan received the last of those shares owed him from the Ilex Fortune and the sale of the Maastricht goods. He signed in the ledger with a broad hand and made a point to add his nickname, Bootneck. With coin in hand he turned to the door but stood awhile in hesitation.

"Is something the matter, Mister Morgan?" William said, looking up from his work.

Morgan turned about, but said nothing at first. William set aside the quill and leaned back a little in his chair. Mister Morgan started and stopped twice, without ever making a sound, finally deciding to keep his words simple. "Sah, I've been offered the great cabin on a merchant vessel."

"Indeed..." William said slowly, leaning back a bit further and smiling as he appraised the Bosun's Mate.

"Aye, sah." Morgan continued. "A good ship."

"And do you mean to take the position...?"

"Aye, Sah." he said, haltingly. "I'm sorry sah, but I..."

William was already shaking his head as he stood up. "No need for that, Mister Morgan. The great cabin is no...small offer. For whom would you sail?"

"A Monsieur Bellemare."

William narrowed his eyes a bit, and turned his head ever so slightly. "Cantin...Bellemare?"

"The very same, Sah. He has had some losses and he is inclined to be generous out of desperation." Mister Morgan explained, but William had heard of the baron by way of Goddu and had an understanding of the wealthy man's losses. He nodded as he crossed to the stern bench even as Mister Morgan continued to explain the why, how and where of the whole arrangement. William interjected when appropriate and agreed heartily that the shares, wages and comforts which would come from serving under Bellemare were not to be refused. He poured two glasses and passed one to Mister Morgan. Then he stood a moment, unsure what to say.

"To the Watch Dog..." Mister Morgan piped up, raising his glass, "...and to her Captain."

"And to the Captain of...?" William began.

"...L'or Blanc." Mister Morgan finished, almost forgetting the name of the ship in his growing excitement.

William smiled. "A good and fitting name." he admitted, and they both drank. When both glasses were emptied, William instructed Mister Morgan to see himself to Eric Franklin for his pistols. "You may consider yourself relieved of duty at the end of the Forenoon Wa...your pardon. The watch is passed, Mister Morgan, and my compliments on your service aboard the 'Dog. You stand relieved."

"Thank you, Sah. And, sah...I should prefer a quiet departure."

"I understand. I'll make it known afterwards that you went to a greater reward."

"Thank you, Captain Brand." Morgan returned, and he raised his empty glass to make another toast. William charged both glasses and waited. "To John Sons and Jack..." Morgan began, but simply drank. William followed suit.

"One more thing, Mister...your pardon...Captain Morgan." Bootneck beamed to hear the title said aloud. William went once more to the stern bench and fetched up two good bottles. One of a rare Spanish vintage for table and another strong, heavy drink for revelry. He explained as much as he passed them to Captain Morgan. "You'll have guests at once and you will require a well armed table. Never ignore the table in matters of position. Pick yourself a good Steward. A good Steward is a lieutenant at table."

"May I have Miss Smith?" Morgan said at once, trying not to smile as he said it.

"No you may not." William returned shortly, though not without good humor.

Then they went of the Ward Room together. Two Captains parting the company of the Watch Dog's table, not to see one another for years to come.

Three bells of the Afternoon Watch

~Larboard Watches on Duty~

Wardroom of the Lucy

The Captain ate in relative silence, only making approving interjections as Miss McDonough spoke of Marine uniforms and kit. All was well in hand on that account. The meal ended, not a morsel remained on the main platter, however during the meal some begging had occurred from the Pooka, who was rewarded with two generous pieces of the fish. Dorian piled the dirty plates onto the platter and returned the cover to its place over top. He rose to take the tray out, but both women stood quickly, each offering to take it forward, back to the galley. Dorian thought for a moment and smiled.

“Miss McDonough, You should be returned to th’ Watch Dog… Ye may help Miss Ashcombe with this to th’ galley, then make your way to your ship… But… before ye go… where did ‘Miss Poole’ come from?”

They both had reached for the platter as he spoke and as he asked the question they both paused and looked at each other, three sets of hands grasping the service. Dorian waited for the answer, and only then would he relinquish the service to be delivered forward.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Dockside

"Strange things afoot Mister Franklin," I said as I shook my head slowly.

"Oh?" Eric replied.

I began to relay to him the days events so far. "Odd indeed," he agreed. The new Master-at-arms of the Watch Dog rubbed his stubbled chin. We gradually made our way back the deck of the Lucy and overheard the new watch talking about the loss of one of Luigi's fingers. "Mister Pew?" Eric wrinkled his brow.

"Aye Eric, a Pandora's box b' th' Lucy, I thinks."

In town

Robert and Paul collected more than a few looks of ire from the townsfolk. Heavily armed men did not do much to allay a sense of calm. Even the soldiers on leave within the taverns kept a hand on their sidearms as the men men asked for information on the missing crewmen. A tavern keep at La Porte-Arrière pointed towards La Chateau Anse. Paul left a few coins for the man's trouble. He left the ordinary and bumped into Robert on the way out. He nodded towards the Chateau and they set off again.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Wardroom of the Lucy

“Miss McDonough, You should be returned to th’ Watch Dog… Ye may help Miss Ashcombe with this to th’ galley, then make your way to your ship… But… before ye go… where did ‘Miss Poole’ come from?”

Jenny and Murin exchanged glances. "Well sah, I din-na know ef Mister Durand would ave known er name since er uncle is a man of wealt. Jus tot it wise t'bae cautious. Dun nil know where she knows d'name frum"

Dorian thought for a moment longer before relinquishing the service to the two women.

“I see… very well… carry on…”

He stepped out of the way and held the door open for them to exit. He watched them go forward and below to the galley before shutting the door. Walking to the table he picked up his small beer and drank the remainder. He collected the other vessels and put them on the cabinet/sideboard. A couple paces later he stood looking out the stern windows and listened to the men finishing up the job astern, while seeing their legs dangle in front of the windows. His curiosity returned as to what took place in the Watch Dog’s ward room.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Bill cleared his throat and stepped to the middle of the weather deck where all within sight would be assured to hear him.

"Attention!" his voice boomed. He waited until he was sure he had their attention before continuing.

"Mr Pew has authorized me to go ashore and conduct drill for the selection of a Marine contingent to be divided betwixt the watches. Those of a desire for candidacy and not presently engaged in other duties may meet me in the armory in five minutes to draw weapons. Additionally, those already assigned as Marines and having been transferred from The Dog will keep their postings."

Five minutes later Bill was overseeing the equipment issue. Every man was given a musket, sidearm, and cutlass. Flint enlisted one of the powder monkeys to act as the ammo handler for his expedition. He marched them off the ship and skirted wide towards the beach to avoid undue attention from the locals and find a secluded spot for musketry. As they marched he lectured them in the arts of war.

"First and foremost," he admonished, "Don't forget nothin'"

"Keep your musket and pistol clean as a whistle, and your cutlass scoured"

"When we're ashore we march single file, far enough apart so one shot don't go through two men. Step where the man to yer front stepped afore to hide our numbers."

"If we strike soft ground we spread out abreast to make us harder to track."

"We march until dark so as to give the least chance at us."

"We never sit down to eat without postin' sentries, in the woods or the pub"

"When the ship's under fire, if you ain't in the riggin', kneel down behind the rails while ye reload so their Marines don't have a clean shot"

"We're not infantry, our shots need to be precise. Aim small, miss small."

"If we take prisoners, we separate 'em til we've had a chance to examine 'em. That way they can't cook up a story betwixt 'em"

Bill's lectures continued until they came to a deserted stretch of beach. Here they gathered materials and constructed mannequins for targets. Drill lasted the better part of three hours. Flint was a harsh task master and demanded perfection from his men.

"Make a full effort, our crews lives depend on us!"

He handed out praise and obscenities with equal gusto and measure. When he collected enough observations he ordered them to prepare to return to the ship. Stadtmeyer and Brocke would join Press and Styles as lookouts. Ian Hatrick couldn't shoot to save his life and would possibly need a replacement. He was pleased to see the men automatically fan out over the soft sand with no reminder. When they returned to the ship he sought the quartermaster to give his report.

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

Deck of the Lucy

Miss Ashcombe and Miss McDunough shared a hushed conversation in the galley covered by the clatter of cups and the silver tray. They had walked in silence, choosing not to misstep around unfamiliar faces. They spoke of Durand, of that night at the Chateau Anse and the briefest of laughs was shared over the returned shoes, which were all that met him in answer to his request for company at breakfast the following morn. Even amidst the tension, Murin found a way to bring her bouyant sense of hope to light. Jenny appreciated this in the younger woman and knew she had not only made the right choice in asking for help, but a good friend as well. Miss McDunough assured her there was none to fear when the Jenny worried that she would have caused much trouble for her in the past few days. Jenny dared not venture too far into view and hugged her as they left the galley. Murin hid her growing concern for the answers she may have to produce behind a smile as she stepped into the longboat and turned towards the Watch Dog. Miss Ashcombe followed her instructions and keeping her eyes to the deck she stayed as far from view as possible without raising suspicion by her behaviour. Shortly she found herself back at the door to the Lucy's ward room. There she paused and knocked twice.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

Wardroom of the Lucy

As Dorian pondered, there was a knock on the door to the Wardroom. Without turning from the view out through the stern windows, he simply stated ‘Enter’. The latch clicked and the door creaked open. Light footsteps were heard coming down the three steps and stopped. Only then did the Captain turn around to see Miss Ashcombe standing there.

“Miss Ashcombe… Please have a seat.”

She hesitated a moment and first paled slightly, only to have the colour return to her cheeks and redden further. She stepped to the nearest chair and slowly sat, gathering the pant legs of her slops as if they were a skirt. Dorian noted this, realizing she was not used to slops or any kind of breeches. He walked slowly towards the sideboard absentmindedly to get a drink for the company as was the etiquette. Just as he was reaching for a bottle he realized he couldn’t drink something more just after that meal and assumed she would be the same. Shaking his head briefly he turned back to Miss Ashcombe and regarded her a moment. He needed questions answered, but didn’t know if she would be able to answer them. With a gentle sigh he crossed to his chair and sat, removed his hat and laid it on the table.

“Miss Ashcombe… even though Miss McDonough said as much why ye were called Poole earlier, I’d like ta hear it from you… Yer uncle… This man of wealth… Does he have connections to the man in th’ boat, the fool who fired upon us? Does he have connections with Monsieur Durand? Connections that hold sway with the powers that be on this island?”

He asked these questions in a kind tone, not like an inquisitor forcing a confession from one on the rack. Yet his tone held a confidence and power that he would get answers. As he finished he leaned his elbows on the table and steepled his fingers, waiting.

Four bells of the Afternoon Watch

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

BriarRose sat on the bed drinking her tea. Mandrake had jumped up be side her purring loudly as she stroked his warm black fur. She set the cup down on the small table next to her. Picking up a wooden brush she took out her braid and began brushing out her long coppery tresses. Finally relaxing, BriarRose, set down the brush and laid down covering her self up with a warm brown wool blanket. Mandrake settled himself upon her pillow and curled up next to her head. Closing her eyes, BriarRose fell in to a deep sleep.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

August 3, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

The payment of wages continued unabated, but for the glaring absence of several crew members, some ashore on business, while others were simply...missing. William tried not to think about the various dangers that might have befallen those still ashore. He tried to and failed. Claude and Cobus had been gone for over two days on an errand that should have taken but one. Ajayi, Klaas and Joshua had disappeared almost instantly in their course. Luigi was shore bound, as was Mister Ranst for the moment. The doctor and her companion were still conspicuously absent and now he had sent another two ashore to find what news they could, hoping not to lose them as well.

"Too many fraying ends." William said to no one as he waited for the next able seaman to arrive and receive the coin owed him.

Elsewhere...

It was once said that 'there is a special providence in the fall of a sparrow', but no such providence, divine or ambivalent could explain away the uncanny luck and the equally uncanny misfortune that visited all of the rest of the world, when Tawny was discovered along the road near the port city of Fort St. Pierre. He had fallen into a ditch there due to a failing will and a persistent reaction to gravity. He had lain there for only an hour, bleeding out from his many injuries. He would have certainly succumbed to the many cuts and punctures in his person if not for the arrival of a man by the name of Lagueux Michaud, a wheelwright of that region. Laqueux himself would have never discovered the wounded madman had it not been for the dog traveling in his company. The short, but proficient bird dog had discovered Tawny the moment thy passed by him and Monsieur Michaud had plucked up the unconscious man and laid him in the cart, altering his course in search of the nearest doctor he could find.

Tawny was unaware of any of this as it transpired, though he would have laughed at the irony of escaping the jaws of one dog only to be rescued by another. Certainly no one else would ever laugh about it.

Aboard the Lucy at the Wharf

Mister Pew had arrainged for his things to be brought to Lucy from the chiriurgeon's home. While it was only a sea chest and few small items, he felt it was time to close up those ends. He needed some form of thanks to give to the women while they took care of him. But what. He hadn't spent much time in the shops of Martinique, but Dorian Lasster had.

"Hmm," he thought to himself. A visit to the Captain might offer some ideas of a 'thank you'.

The Quartermaster stepped to the Ward Room and rapped gently on the door.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Captain Lasseter waited for Miss Ashcombe to answer his questions. She sat and collected her thoughts, but before she could speak there was a solid knock on the door. Dorian’s brow furrowed.

“A moment Miss Ashecombe… Who knocks!?”

“QuarterMaster Pew, Cap’n!”

Dorian sat back in his chair and straightened up.

“Enter Mister Pew!”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Mister Pew entered slowly and saw the woman in the Ward Room.

"Ah, beggin' y'r pahdon sah. Dinnot know you 'ad comp'nay."

Dorian stood, as did Miss Ashcombe, and he motioned Mister Pew in.

“Come in Mister Pew… This is Miss… Ashcombe, newly arrived to us on th’ Lucy… Miss Ashcombe, Mister Preston Wittingford, or Mister Pew, the new Quartermaster of th’ Lucy…”

Greetings were exchanged between the two with bows and curtseys, then the Captain turned back to the QuarterMaster.

“What might I do fer ye, Mister Pew?”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

The Quartermaster leaned on the table and spoke close to Captain Lasseter's ear.

"I 'ave sent some o' th' boys fer m' things from the chirurgeon's. Should I offer a thanks t' them?"

Dorian looked at Preston a moment.

“I would think you could… What ya might offer… extra rum ration I’ll agree to…”

He put a hand to his chin.

“If yer thinkin’ somat more… I do believe Cap’n Brand finished up sellin’ off our prizes… should have more coin headed ‘round…”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif