The Watch Dog

William Brand

William stood a moment in wonder at the strangeness of the visit. He tried to call Miss Kildare back again that he might advise her on a course equal to her fears, but she departed in the manner in which she had arrived. Unexpected and but partially explained, at least in terms that satisfied William's curiosity. Mister Pew, Tucker and Flint were in a close conversation about the day's work, but seeing the Captain alone, Pew crossed to where he stood.

"If I could have ha'f a moment, Sah?" Pew asked, following William's gaze to Miss Kildare as she disappeared into the crowd. "What was that business about?"

William shook his head, still watching the place where Briar had disappeared. "Mister Pew, I could not say with any certainty...though I was instructed not to speak on the matter in confidence." William made a note to visit the offices of the Particular Governor if time permitted.

"And the man in the ward room...?" Pew prompted.

William turned to him with a sigh and removed his hat long enough to run his fingers through his hair. It was a gesture he often made when he was tired or weighed down with many matters. "A Monsieur Durand is repudiating the ledgers, Mister Pew."

"Shall I take care of it?" Pew offered, his eyes on the companionway door.

William smiled. "If it comes to that. Your pardon, Quartermaster, I must return to the business at hand." William made his way aft, but stopped at once. "Mister Pew...please send for two men of the 'Dog, armed and fed for an errand ashore. I will return to the deck presently."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The conversation again lulled. Leaving only the sounds of the cat's loud purring as he distributed his efforts amongst those around the table and the crisp sound as Durand turned yet another page in the ledger before him. A knock came at the door and Jenny looked across at Murin unsure if it was she whom should grant access without direction. Miss McDunough nodded unseen by the others, towards the door. Miss "Poole" crossed quickly and opened it.

"Sir" she said quietly. Captain Brand stooped slighty as was necessary to enter and hat in hand in his usual manner, returned to the inquiry in progress.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

August 3, 1704 - Ward Room of the Lucy

William returned to the table without ceremony, though Durand gave him a questioning look. William let the look remain unanswered, and he sat facing the man with a posture that was more acrimonious than amiable. The glass turned and still Durand flipped a single, infuriating page. Jenny offered William tea during the long silence, but he shook his head gently and politely declined, fixing Durand with a look that was quiet but not pleasant. He was past politeness, and when Durand suddenly began going backwards through the ledger, William was certain that the gesture was designed to unravel their patience. William stood up. "Your pardon, Captain, but I have pressing business. Monsieur."

"Capitaine Brand, I can expect to see your ledgerz within the hour...oui?" Durand asked as William stepped away from the table, though he did not do William the respect of looking up from the ledger.

"Come and see them now, Monsieur." William offered, turning back to Durand slowly.

"When I am finished here, perhaps." Durand returned without looking up.

"Perhaps." William agreed.

There was something then in William's 'perhaps' that gave Durand pause and he closed the ledger carefully. There was a deliberateness about the way William had said it which Durand mistook for subtle defiance. Only Dorian saw it for what it probably was and wondered who was baiting whom. William looked at Durand. Durand looked at William. The others had their pick of who to watch and how. A silence followed.

Then Durand stood up from the table. "I will see your ledgerz now, Capitaine."

"I will see you to them, Monsieur" William agreed at once.

Between Seven and Eight Bells of the Forenoon Watch

~Starboard Watches on Duty~

Jenny slowly released the edges of the bench she sat upon. She'd unconciously begun to curl her fingers tightly as the exchange between two opponents occured. It was of the sort that had the potential to end as it did or escalate. The careful dance of negotiation and posturing. She'd seen it many times during her years at the plantation. During dinners and the like. The door closed behind the two men and Miss Ashcombe fought the urge to run to Murin, hug her close and ask a thousand nervous questions. She instead sat by and continued her study of the floor. Jenny knew the situation would not end with the man simply leaving. Not without perhaps more questions, more posturing. For the moment she was glad they had gone..

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

"Aye Cap'n. Right away sah." I moved back to Lucky Tuck and Mister Flint and asked for a messenger to be sent to the Watch Dog. Mister Tucker turned his back to us and called for Patrick Godfrey. The young boy removed his cap and knuckled his forelock. I gave the boy a set of simple orders to be remanded to the officer of the watch onboard the Watch Dog. The boy scampered onto the dock and untied the dinghy.

As soon as the boy hopped the gangplank, a familiar voice called from the wharf.

"Haven't killed you yet eh?"

"And they sent you t' do th' job Mister Franklin?" Eric and I shook hands and clasped each others elbow. We talked briefly and met Mister Tucker and Mister Flint amidships. We compared notes of the taverns ashore and women who frequented them. The conversation came around to the ships small arms.

"Speaking of small arms Mister Flint, have you had a chance t' see t' th' new marines?"

"Nay Mister Pew. On my list for today. Some training ashore, should the men be allowed from their duties."

"Aye. Mister Franklin delivered th' small arms aboard 'ere and", I began.

"...and the Captain has the logbook for the armoury," Eric finished. I smiled. The four of us stood in the waist as we watched the nameplates being placed upon the cannon onboard the Lucy.

"At your leave Mister Flint, take th' marines ashore an' give 'em a good workin' over. We need t' know who 's t' b' above 'n th' dark o' night wit' a steady hand, aye?"

"Aye Mister Pew," Bill Flint agreed, "very much so."

Some time later, just off the Watch Dog

"Ahoy the Watch Dog," called Patrick to the deck, "Ahoy."

Mister Morgan arrived at the rail, "Aye, well hullo Mister Godfrey. Wot brings you out here?"

"A message from Mister Pew, sah. Permission to come aboard?"

"O' course boy, o' course." Bootneck waved his hand towards the ship.

Patrick chained the dinghy and clambered up the ladder to the deck. Mister Morgan and Luc met the powder monkey at the rail. A little short of breath, the boy was able to nearly repeat Mister Pew's order word-for-word. Luc removed the armoury key from his pocket and called for Paul Mooney and Robert Thatcher. The men arrived amidships and followed Luc to the armoury.

Returning topside, both men were now well armed. A musket each, two small cartridge boxes still stamped with "Apollo" on the side, a brace of loaded pistols each and several knives Robert tucked away neatly in his belt. "Good luck to thee both," spoke Mister Morgan. Over the side and into the dinghy the men were quickly on their way to the wharf.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

August 3, 1704

William, Dorian and Monsieur Durand arrived on deck blinking. The sun was at it's zenith and the eighth bell of the forenoon watch was almost upon them. Durand and Captain Lasseter exchanged pleasantries that were not altogether pleasant, though neither man was rude to the other. William called Preston aside a moment before departing the Lucy and explained his intentions for the two armed men bound for shore, giving him careful instructions before joining Durand on the gangplank. This done, they were ferried from the docks to the Watch Dog and passed the chosen men in the dingy. William nodded to them as he passed and they knuckled a salute back again.

Once on board the Watch Dog, William and Durand retired to the ward room, where the Frenchman was surprised to be served a second time by a woman Steward. Tudor proved to be much more controlled, even confident in her role. She showed no outward sign that Durand's position or seeming power meant anything to her. She was polite and direct in her service, though Durand was not much interested in food or drink.

"You'll take your leave ashore with the Starboard Watch, Miss Smith." William ordered, as he fetched the ledgers of the Watch Dog. Tudor thanked him graciously. "I was pleased with the part you played in all of the auctions yesternight. Please see that the inbound and outbound watches report amidships to receive the last of their shares. I will call for them presently."

"Aye, Sah." She took her leave with the almost untouched tray.

William settled into his customary chair as Durand went through the ledgers. William watched him as he had before, but was surprised to see the man's whole attitude altered. Durand had so carefully turned the pages of the ledgers aboard the Lucy, scanning every line for details and information. Now, thumbing through the books of the Watch Dog, the man all but skipped whole pages. Indeed, he focused his attention on the last ledger more than any other, particularly those pages concerning the Watch Dog's sojourn at Martinique.

"This is the writing of Captain Lasseter." Durand pointed out, touching those pages at the beginning of the ledger.

"Aye." William agreed. "He was the Quartermaster of the Watch Dog and the Whole Company prior to the taking of the Heron."

Durand simply nodded and returned to the figures before him. He seemed most interested in the distribution of shares marked towards the end of the book, for reasons that William couldn't fathom. The letters of Marque, as they applied to the whole company, allowed for the distribution of shares as William and Dorian saw fit. The letters did not site the Lucy specifically, as she had not been in use by them at the time of the writing of either marque, but she was still a vessel of the Whole Company, and William was certain that no arguments would be made on that point. Still, Durand focused upon these pages with an unusual interest.

"What do you see in those numbers that you dwell upon them so much, Monsieur?" William asked. "Are you considering an alteration of trade?"

Durand smiled at this, but did not look up or answer. He simply traced the page. When he was at the bottom of the last, he stopped and looked up.

"Miss Poole's name does not appear in the ledgers of the Watch Dog or the Lucy, Capitaine. Who is she and where does she come from?"

Eight Bells of the Forenoon Watch. Afternoon Watch Begins.

~Larboard Watches on Duty~

Starboard Watches waiting aboard to recieve shares.

At the wharf

I had left Misters Tucker and Flint on the Lucy an stepped ashore with Eric in tow. Patrick Godfrey's dinghy bumped to halt alongside the pilings. Eric looked at the two Watch Dog marines now arriving ashore.

We helped the men to the pier and collected their weapons. Eric helped Patrick tie off the boat as I led the marines out of earshot. I clasped my hand on Robert's shoulder and told him they were to be gone no longer than a single watch to complete their duty. "You 'ave 'til the eighth bell of the afteroon watch t' return," I ordered.

"Aye sah," the both replied in unison.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Dorian was not displeased to see the ominous Frenchman leave the Lucy. He was displeased that he headed to the Watch Dog to look over her ledgers. He knew those ledgers well as he had written in them since he came to the ship so many months ago. He stared across the water for a time, then his curiosity got to him as to what it was the Captain Brand has told his QuarterMaster, Mister Pew before departing the Lucy. Turning to shore he watched as Mister Pew, Eric Franklin and two of the Watch Dog’s Marines armed for battle. The Marines turned and headed into the town as many watched them go. Dorian could wait for Mister Pew to tell him what was happening later. If it had been of import to him, William would have told him. More men, formerly ‘Herons’ now ‘Lucys’ streamed from the taverns to the ship, reporting for duty and those of the Starboard Watch were set loose to enjoy their time on leave. However, some were actually sated from the earlier celebration and stayed aboard, continuing with the work of adding the new articles to the ship. Howard, Leigh, and Quigley continued to fasten the nameplates on the cannon, John Black and Adam stayed on to help the Larboard Watch crew to fasten the just delivered sternboard with the name ‘LUCY’ in letters half a French meter in height, bright yellow with black edging on a white background. Tucker had turned the deck over to Brisbane, who was right now standing on shore, directing the men carrying it aboard. With a gentle nod Dorian turned away from shore and headed aft. He was about to head below, back into the Wardroom, instead he checked his movement and headed up onto the holy ground. He paced slowly to the stern rail and crossed his hands behind his back. He leaned over the rail and looked at his reflection in the water.

“Tis an odd thing this… Ta be Cap’n of a fine ship. I pray I live up ta such an expectation levied upon me.”

After a moment of reflection he turned again towards the Watch Dog and wondered what conversation took place in her Wardroom.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Ward Room of the Lucy

The moment the door had closed behind the men, Jenny rushed to Murin and grabbed the Watch Dog's tailor by the hand as she sat in the closest chair. Miss McDunough was just drawing breath to speak when Jenny began to talk excitedly in just above a whisper. "Murin! Murin...that man, Durand. I know him! " Murin McDounough's eyes widened at this statement but she was completely puzzled. "'Ow wuld ye know the man Jenny? He nil spoke t'ye but t' ask fer his tae. Ye spoke not a word tae each udder.." Miss McDunough for a moment began to question the stability of the gerl she thought she knew. Jenny paused collecting herself. Murin had not been at the Inn that night. She began again. "He is the man I told you about..the one who came crashing into my room drunk as a Lord .." She needed go no further as the connection was made. Murin McDunough stood suddenly nearly toppling the chair. "Good Lawd!" She paced across the room and turned "I dinnae tink he recognised ye in those clothes" She gestured towards the sailors slops and green hat Jenny now wore "And servin Cap'n Lasseter....here" She sat back down shaking her head slowly in disbelief. Jenny now began to pace, replaying the last half hour in her mind. "I..I'm not sure...Murin, quickly before any of them return. What should I do? He was inspecting the ledgers, but he spoke of a woman. I don't know. Could it be he was looking for me? " She looked her friend directly in the eyes "Could he have known the whole while?!" Her voice began to tremble and Murin came round the table to calm Jenny. As she did so she hoped someone would return soon and that they would be Captain or Quartermaster but none a Frenchman.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

After seeing the unwanted tray into the galley to be cleaned, Tudor made her way back topside, coming across several members of the outbound watch on their way below, after informing them and asking them to spread the word amongst the others from their watch to gather for their shares. She then started her search for those to start their watching and bidding them to be available at the captain's call.

august 3, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

William looked at Durand without saying anything. It was a short pause, but long enough that he couldn't take it back again. Once the pause was made he couldn't unmake it. The questions about Miss Ashcombe had simply taken him unawares and he cursed himself silently for not thinking of this possible outcome. It was foolish to blame himself of course, but he had already paused and the pause had grown until it had become a small smile on Durand's face. William let the pause remain. He stood up. He went to the stern bench and pulled out a bottle of French wine and two small glasses. He returned to the table and set them out, filling them both almost to the lip. Then he corked the bottle and replaced it in the stern bench. Returning to the table he sat down and raised the glass, and still the silence continued. Only when William was certain that Durand had waited as long as he would before speaking again did William open his mouth to say anything.

"Who is Turcotte to you, Monsieur?"

Durand paused. Just that. He paused and then tried to begin a sentence. "I..." he began, but he did not continue. He simply smiled. William had handed the pause back to him. Durand raised a silent toast to William, who raised one back to Durand. They both sipped and the silence continued for a moment.

"Who is this woman to you, Capitaine?" Durand asked, and this time he was asking for himself and not Turcotte.

"I could ask the same question of you, Monsieur." William returned.

Neither one of them made any further comment for several minutes, content to listen to the ship and the sea and the day as it passed about them. They looked at one another, really looked for the first time. Durand noted William's ability for long, patient pauses. William noted that Durand took in all, despite the limitations of his vision.

"Is the woman his steward, Capitaine?" Durand asked, almost conversationally.

"Yes..." William returned, simply. "...but not before today." he added, and it was no small addition. It was, as William imagined, the cleanest, most direct path in an otherwise dark wood, and he took it. Durand would surely press him, now or later, to the absolute truth about Miss Ashcombe, so he chose the most direct course that he could find through the conversation.

Durand's curiosity seemed to alter, though the next question he asked seemed to come from himself and with no true ties to Turcotte. "What will I find if I ask about her...?"

"I do not know." William replied, and this was his most honest answer yet, for he knew so little about Miss Ashcombe. "Can it be so important to you or anyone else, Monsieur? We are at war in a world of wars and a woman begged the boon of sanctuary aboard my ship and I gave it to her." Durand said nothing, but he watched William and waited for him to continue. William did, but he altered his tack. "Is Turcotte your superior, Monsieur?" William knew that the the lieutenant could not be, not in any real way, apart from some superficial position of rank, but he asked because the question had some leverage.

"No." This seemed the limit of Durand's answer, but even when it looked as if he would add no more he continued. "I am compelled to learn why this man shot at the crew of the Lucy, and why this man should do so by daylight with no thought for hiz own life. If I should not learn why...Turcotte will find another to do so in my place."

"I would also no why, Monsieur, but can there be an answer? The attack on the Lucy was born of foolishness, yea, even madness...for what man would fire upon such a ship from a lowly boat with no thought to his own defense? The smell of drink was not heavy upon him. He was not of great wealth and possessed of no more coin than a dockman's wages. If it was revenge, he is dead. If madness, he is dead. If despair...he is dead. The dead care not. Why should we, Monsieur?"

"I am compelled to learn why..." Durand repeated, wearily.

"Then Turcotte is your superior, Monsieur...if only for the time being." William said this in a matter of fact tone that he did not enjoy saying anymore than Durand enjoyed hearing it said, but William would not give Durand any ground not won and he knew this would place a grain of sand in Durand's otherwise calm and collected oyster.

"He fired upon your people." Durand returned, as if this should be compelling enough to warrant William's need for understanding.

"Yes." William nodded. "And this is answer enough for me. Why is it not enough for Turcotte?" William did not wait for Durand to answer. "Was this man, this assassin, above the laws of France that he should shoot so...without provocation? Without writ? Is civilization not come to Martinique?"

"These are subjective arguments, Capitaine."

"Yes."

"I must speak with the woman, Capitaine."

"I will do so in your place and bring you word, Monsieur."

Durand made as if to speak, but he didn't. They had flanked one another, regrouped and had come to a sudden, fragile impasse that both men excepted without any further argument. Durand could have pressed the point, but didn't. William could have applied defiance, but didn't. Instead, both men sipped their wine and kept their own silent council. When Durand had finished his glass he set it aside and stood up. William stood as well, setting his glass aside. Both men regarded one another and Durand took up his hat as if to leave, but he looked at William and asked. "Did you slaughter the crew of São João Baptista, Capitaine?"

William parried with a question. "How did you come to lose your eye, Monsieur?"

There followed the final pause in the conversation. Durand replaced his hat. "Capitaine."

"Monsieur."

They went out together and William saw Donatien Durand over the side of the frigate without another word.

First Bell of the Afternoon Watch

~Larboard Watches on Duty~

When she had returned from the docks, BriarRose had seemed in no mood to discuss anything. Aside from a cursory acknowledgment of Maeve, she had said nothing as she hung up her cloak and moved to the kitchen, vigorously renewing her efforts of scrubbing down the entire room, floorboards and all.

Maeve had wisely given her friend space, and by 12:00 noon that day, all of the remaining parcels that Maeve had ordered delivered for BriarRose had come. During all this time, Briar never once came out of the kitchen. La Esperanza was scheduled to leave at 2:00 of the afternoon. Maeve was tempted several time to remind her friend of this, but somehow could not bring her self to do so. Again she wondered at her friend's panicked and urgent need to leave a mere three days ago to her sudden recalcitrance to board the ship she'd fought to get her passage on. At the moment, Maeve couldn't seem to reconcile her conflicting feelings of extreme irritation at Briar's seeming willingness to brush off yesterday's exhausting efforts on her behalf, with the selfish happiness it gave her to think her friend might not part her company quite so quickly.

Sighing, Maeve went again to check on their patient, a bucket of cool water and a sponge in hand to give her a good scrubbing.

MaeveBanner_justbarber.jpg

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

Settled aloft, the sun shining down upon her with bright hope, the warm winds tugging and teasing her senses, she closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. For the moment her soul was at peace..for the first time in a long while, and she owed it to Bill. Stretching her arms she raised one to toy with the cross at the hollow of her throat and thought of his gift hidden deep within her belongings and frowned. It had been an extravagant gift, but one she would treasure and always. She felt eyes upon her and looked up ahead of her and took note of Ciaran studying her and she gave him a warm smile. “Tis a lovely day is it not?” she called, her eyes dancing with mischief..with happiness.

“Well if it was not afore it is now. Wot has ye is such fine spirits lass?” he called.

She merely grinned and shook her head ‘Many things..many things.” She replied.

However that smile turned into a small frown that drew her brows together as she watched the French Durnad make his way along the docks. He moved with confidence, but not arrogantly so. Well accustomed to the mantle he bore..and bore it well. Still she did wonder why so many visits in so short a time, Just what was happening, who had shot and why. And then the glint of sunlight along metal drew her thoughts to the Spanish ship and she wondered when they would make their next move. She refrained from lifting her own glass, however she knew they were aware they too were being watched.

Looking back to the Docks just as Durand disappeared she looked down and took in the daily life that went on below then turned her face into the winds before looking upon the Lucy and spotting a familiar head upon the decks before she shifted and cast her attentions back to Ciaran who still watched her.

“Wot?” She teased playfully, the frown leaving her face as it was lit by a mischieveous innocence.

She laughed as he grumbled and resumed his lookout and hummed to herself as she braided her hair to keep it from her face and lashing it with a leather thong. Sometime today the rest of her gowns and other clothes and shoes as well as the foodstuffs ordered for Argus would arrive. And for the first time she felt excitement as if she were a young girl attending her first ball. And too Bill would receive her gift when his order arrived, hopefully the two new frockcoats would suit him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I opened my eyes and blinked a few times, finding out I was lying in a bed.

"Nit again." I mumbled to myself. I was getting a little irritated being drugged most of the time.

"Tha' beh dah last tem I accept a drenk unliss I per et meself." I spoke, sitting up in the bed.

Even though I didn't like being drugged, it still helped with the pain. I looked around the room, seeing no one was here. I was just about to go downstairs when I heard footsteps coming up them. I watched as the door opened gently. Meave stepped in the room surprised I had awaken, carrying a bucket of water and sponge.

"Ah glad ya be awake." Maeve said closing the door behind her. "Are ya ready fer a sponge bath, Miss?" She paused waiting for me to answer with my name.

I sat there for a moment chewing my lower lip, not sure if I wanted to answer. Maeve saw I unsure about answering, so she set the bucket down and sat on the foot of the bed.

"Come now. Ya can't tell meh ya fergot yer name." She said sweetly.

"Nay I 'aven't Mess but." I replied stopping. Maeve looked at me and raised her eyebrows encouraging me to continue.

I sighed. "Meh name es Marie."

Maeve smiled. Pleased she got me to talk to her.

"Well then Miss Marie. Are ya ready fer a sponge bath?" She asked again.

"Maybeh." I said uncertain.

She laughed and signaled for me to take off my shirt. I stepped out of bed and I stood in front of her. I took off my shirt but didn't remove the blanket that had been wrapped around my chest.

I got my arms, stomache and chest clean. And Maeve helped me clean my back.

115DSCF05041-Copy.jpg

BriarRose continued to clean and scrub anything that was in her sight. She was fuming at herself for being such a fool and an ass to boot. And now she felt ashamed too because Maeve had taken such great care to book her passage upon the La Esperanza. And yet she felt that she could not leave. Her feelings of uncertainty continued to nag at her through out the morning and early afternoon. She did not want to leave her friend, a woman who had been good, kind and generous to her. BriarRose, rekindled a fire in the fire place placing a pot of water on to boil for tea. Getting down several tins she took out the last of the biscuits and put them on a plate. Taking a chunk of cheese from the pantry she cut pieces off and placed them next to the biscuits. As the water began to boil she took down two mugs and mixed the tea in to the boiling water. After that was done she took a deep breath and sighed heavily. She had been doing a lot of thinking and had finally made a decision. Taking off her apron and hanging it by the kitchen door she went in to the main room with the tray of tea and food. Placing it upon the table she called out for Maeve, then sat down to patiently wait to speak with her friend.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Maeve paused in her ministrations when she heard Briar call her downstairs.

“Do ya think you could finish bathin’ yerself?”, she asked Marie.

This actually seemed to make Marie more comfortable with the situation, and so she temporarily took her leave of the patient to head downstairs.

She could smell the tea as she entered the main room and came out of the stairwell to see Briar sitting at the table waiting for her with steaming tea and some biscuits. BriarRose herself looked quite composed and ready to talk. Maeve smiled at her and somberly sat herself down in a chair near her friend. “I take it yer ready ta talk?”, Maeve asked quietly.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

Seeing Maeve walk in to the room, BriarRose smiled and motioned for her to sit down. Pouring the tea and handing a cup to Maeve, she then began to talk. “Maeve, dear, I want you to know that I deeply and truly appreciate the effort and time you took in finding me passage. However, and please, do not be angry with me, but I feel as if I should stay with you for a bit longer. I hope you will not mind nor that you will be angry at my decision. All I ask is that you do not ask about my visit today. I am not used to feeling a fool and would rather forget about it.” BriarRose took a sip of her tea then continued, “Part of me hesitates to stay for fear of your safety, yet I am loathe to leave you so soon.” With that she began nibbling on a piece of cheese waiting for her friend to respond to her decision.

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

Maeve sat down her cup of tea.

“Of course I’m delighted ta have ya stay. However, I truly don’t understand or feel the danger ya feel that yer putting me in, and I don’t quite understand the loss of yer sense of urgency in the matter. Up through yesterday, ya acted and spoke as though ya couldn’t leave soon enough. I’m just confused is all. But yet you still DO seem anxious ta leave, suddenly preferin’ a privateer of questionable standing over passage on a safe merchant ship. Of course ya don’t have to speak of your discourse today at the docks, but ya certainly can understand my confusion?”, Maeve stated.

- Maria Robinson

Aboard the Lucy

As the day progressed into the afternoon, the watch changed and work continued. The Lucy’s bell had been delivered, and Dorian oversaw the installation of it where the old bell mounted, and even now was being vigorously polished by the two Powder Monkeys, Godfrey and Wayne. As the first bell of the Afternoon Watch was upon them, Dorian walked over and begged pardon of the two. As the sand ran out another bell tolled on another ship just before he was about the strike the Lucy’s bell the first time. He waited a moment and yanked the lanyard hard. The bell peeled loud and true, a fine crisp tone. Everyone aboard the ship stopped and looked aft to see and hear the sound. Smiled parted lips for the duration of the resonance. Once it had died, their labors continued. Dorian nodded the boys and they continued polishing the bell. The Captain looked up just in time to see Durand walking off the wharf into town. He turned to the Watch Dog and saw nothing more than the crew working, no sign of William. He was tempted to either head to the Frigate himself, or send a message asking of anything he should be informed of about Durand. As he stood on the Quarterdeck, mulling over what he might do, Mister Brisbane approached.

“Cap’n sah, gonna need ta get aft fer ta ‘fix th’ new sternboard, Sah…”

“Aye, Nigel… th’ deck is yours…”

“Thank you, Sah.”

Dorian nodded to the man and walked briskly off the Holy Ground to the waist, where he watched several men man-handle the sternboard aft. With lines attached and two others in Bo’sun’s chairs over the stern, they put the new name in place. Dorian caught a whiff of coffee and realized he had not eaten the noon meal. He headed to the galley to see what he might find.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

“Aye, Maeve I can understand your confusion. Just call it an uneasy feeling that I had. And I must be honest and say that my nerves have been a bit overwrought with worry. I have been very worried over my predicament and I thought if I went on a dubious privateer ship then those who are looking for me would never suspect it of me. Does that make any sense? And as for your safety I do worry because I know what danger you could be in by keeping me safe.”

BriarRose yawned covering her mouth and shaking her head. “I am sorry Maeve, dear. I am just out of sorts and I am very tired as well. I have not had a very good sleep in what seems like a very long time. Mayhaps I should mix me up one of my own herbals and go lie down.”

Maeve just gazed at her friend a moment, and then shook her head. “Honestly, yer reasonin’ doesn’t make much sense ta me. What will cover yer tracks and movements the best is ta book yerself passage aboard a ship in a way that won’t be traced. Ultimately, I don’t think it would matter much what ship ya chose ta take. No one searchin’ for ya is gonna know that The Watch Dog is a privateer, when the point is that they ultimately not know ya boarded a ship at all, let alone which ship that was in harbor the day ya set sail.” She shook her head again. “I’m goin’ ta have ta just believe that ya have changed yer mind over an uneasy feelin’ an’ leave it at that” she replied honestly.

After a moment, she continued. “Our patient has woken, and her name is Marie. She’s bathin’ at the moment, and I feel that she’ll likely be ready ta leave today if she wants to. So go lie down and take that nap. She won’t be hard ta handle by ma-self”, she said with a smile. With that, she stood, kissed the top of Briar’s head and moved to head up the stairs and back to Marie.

- Maria Robinson

BriarRose got up after Maeve had left the room and went over to her apothecary chest. Opening it up, she took out several herbs and wrapped them in a bit of cheese cloth. Taking her cup BriarRose placed the bundled herbs in to it then added more hot water from the pot. She took the cup upstairs with her where she hoped to soon find both rest and peace for her weary mind and body.

William returned to the ward room of the Watch Dog to count out the final shares for the Whole Company. He first counted the coin meant for those deserving crew of the Lucy. He did this as fast as he could, knowing may of them might have already left for freedoms and debauchery ashore.

The sorting took him longer than it should have. His mind was so distracted by the events of the day that he found himself recounting the shares some seven times. When he was finally done, he set the coins into a crate and called for Miss Smith.

She came when she was called, having waited to take her leave until she was sure the captain would be in need of nothing else. Entering the ward room worldlessly, she stood in all formal posture across from the captain. "How may I be of service, sir?" She asked when he looked up from where he looked over his numbers one last time and acknowledged her.

"Ahh, Miss Smith. Half a moment." William jotted down a small notation in that logbook which reflected all of the newest recruits and set it aside. Then he invited her to sit while he penned a short letter to Captain Lasseter, wherein he explained the conversation with Durand and the need to speak with Miss Ashcombe within a few hours time. When finished, he powdered the paper gently and blew off the excess dust out one of the stern windows. He did not bother with sealing it, as it would only be passing through Tudor's hands before reaching Dorian. "I would like you to take these shares with you when you go ashore and see them to Captain Lasseter with this private letter."

"Aye, Sah."

"Mister Badger is to accompany you on his way ashore. These are his shares." William made a point of separating Jacob's shares from the rest. "Please see that Mister Badger reminds the lads and ladies going ashore that I want no one traveling alone if it can be helped. We've suffered disappearances of late."