The Watch Dog

William Brand

A very weary chirurgeon stepped into her shop and closed the door behind her. It was nearing 4:30pm, and she was laden with items and receipts proving payment and promising delivery of those things she couldn’t realistically carry. She set all that she was carrying upon the nearest counter as Briar stepped out of the kitchen, which smelled of something heavenly cooking.

“Maeve!”, BriarRose exclaimed. “Ya’ve been gone all day”, she exclaimed. “And you look so pale!”, she reprimanded as she came over to grab her friend’s arm. “Are you alright?”, she asked. “Aye”, Maeve replied with a tired smile. “Just weary. Been on ma feet a bit too long, and I’m parched is all”, she said, though she accepted Briar’s assistance to the nearest chair and sat down gratefully. Briar clucked her tongue as she went to fetch a glass of water from the kitchen. When she returned, Maeve was smiling at her, though it was tinged with sadness.

“Maeve. Whatever’s wrong”, she asked, setting down the glass of water, eyes flicking to the pile of purchases that were surely the things BriarRose had asked for. Briar drew up a chair beside Maeve and waited.

“Well, I supposed you will be happy ta hear that I have managed to procure ya safe passage as far as La Margarita. It was the best arrangement I could find. The ship is called La Esperanza, an’ they'll be settin’ sail tomorrow evenin’”, she said in a rush. BriarRose looked surprised. Before she could say anything, Maeve continued. “I managed ta find almost everything ya needed an’ more. The majority of it’will be delivered here ta the shop by noon tomorrow. We can pay them extra when they arrive ta deliver it ta the docks. I would have had them do so already, but I wanted ta make sure you were ok with the arrangements before I presumed too much”, Maeve finished. She regarded Briar, trying to gauge her mood and reaction. BriarRose folded her hands on the table and looked at them. “Briar?”, Maeve asked, leaning forward. “What is it? Is it not a good arrangement? It’s quick I know, but works perfectly for a quick and safe escape for ya…before ya can be found and followed”. She placed a hand on Briar’s arm.

MaeveBanner_justbarber.jpg

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a time the Captain entered and advised Miss Ashcombe that they were no longer set upon by the French Lieutennant and his entourage. He seemed at ease, relieveing himself of his weapons and the fancier coat he'd worn on deck despite the heat. A formality she supposed. Jenny maintained her seat quietly. Though he had smiled she was unsure what would come next. He moved near, then past her to look out the stern windows as the last rays of the evening colored the bay. Hands behind his back but in a casual manner, Captain Lasseter questioned her without meeting her eyes. Affording her whatever comfort might bring forth information if there indeed was any. At the unexpected suggestion that she may be hiding something, Jenny bought her hands quickly together in her lap grasping the scrap of linen once more. She instantly regretted the motion as it betrayed the renewed nervous feeling in her stomach. She was sure it would have been obvious even if he wasn't facing her. Jenny did not speak immediately, carefully choosing what she could and could not afford to divulge. Whether he trusted her and it was simply a matter of protocol or whether he suspected her and assumed she might have more than one reason for keeping secrets. He moved towards the table and her nervousness grew. Did he mean to pick up his pistol? She withdrew that thought immediately. Neither Captain nor crew had given her reason to fear force or mistreatment. But she also realized she didn't really know the man. He had a responsibility to his ship, his crew and his command along with the those of The Watch Dog. Jenny understood as he had displayed before, that Captain Lassseter desired no surprises. Especially in his absence as he announced he was to go ashore shortly. To her relief when he opened the drawer he was simply retrieveing implements to light the lamp in his darkening quarters. Not irons or parchment to sign. "I..." she started. Dorian turned to her immediately as his hands closed the cover on the lamp and set it back on the desk. He hadn't hidden the look in is eyes of urgency for any further threat or information which would affect his men or ship. Jenny shrank back a little as their eyes met. But she didn't look away. She bit her lip and started to speak. After all, once she started it would be too late to stop. "I am ...I have fled from the Isle De Generosite Platation. North of here. My Uncle.." as she spoke, she looked away a moment her face darkening " ..my half uncle is the heir and owner to it" She returned to face her inquisitor. "He is a corrupt man .." Jenny brought a hand to her cheek where the bruise was still fading, shades of purple evident even in the softer glow of the lamp. "..he is as cruel as he is corrupt." She saw a flicker of emotion cross Captain Lasseters face. It was brief, but she surmised he was a man who found violence against women unpalattable. He paused a moment then prompted her to go on. "I was acquainted with your tailor Miss McDonough on a trip into town and we became friendly. We have met on more than one occasion as she had come ashore. I had no where else to turn. I pleaded for her help. For passage off Martinique. However, I fear..." Jenny began to tremble as the events of the past hour became more real. She took a deep breath and started out on an explanation of how there might have been someone following her that night in the rain..her speech rapidly deteriorating into French which between the local dialect and the pace he didn't comprehend. Only a name. Henri Patois. Jenny stopped and looked at her shoes determined to compose herself.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Ashore at the Chirurgeons home

I had drifted in and out of a brief nap after Silkie had left. I was only awoken when I heard the bells ring from the Church. I sat up and drank a bit from the small cup left next to the bed. Sitting with my legs to the side, I yawned. I looked about the room and rubbed my eyes. I noticed that several tomes lined the nearby shelf. A small candle was lit as I moved towards them. The sun had begun to wane and cast a deep shadow in the further reaches of the room. I raised the candle and read the spines of many of the tomes.

"The Method of Physic", Philip Barrough

"Directions for Health, Both Natural and Artificial", William Vaughan

"Mythologiae", Natalis Comes

I removed one of the books and paged through several chapters stopping briefly at some of the more pronounced drawing of the human figure. Smiling, I placed the volume back. I felt a trip to town might refresh the dulling senses from being clapped in my room.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

As he took her elbow she looked up to him questioningly, however his words made sense and as the crowd began to grow she nodded and they slipped through the crowd. As he paused to pick up the dagger and gift her with it she bit back a laugh. Taking the dagger she looked about for a place to hide it and carefully sheathed it down her bodice. “Only you would think to gift me with such as this. Hurry..there is the building ahead where Mr. Pew is currently recovering.” At least she hoped it was so, surely there could not be many buildings such as this…were there?

Behind them voices grew raised and she quickened her pace to try and match his longer legged stride and yet appear as If naught were amiss. Reaching the door she watched him quickly knock, a quick aggressive tap before he too looked behind them.

“Think there will be trouble?” She asked quietly catching his look. She hoped the door would be answered in short order for it sounded like the crowd was still growing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

August 2, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

The jollywatt went out and over the side of the Watch Dog, followed by a crew of rowers. William made one solitary patrol about the weatherdecks, leaving instructions for Tudor as he went. Then he ordered everyone over and down into the waiting small boat, relinquishing command of the frigate to Jacob Badger. Before he could join them, Mister Badger took him aside. "Take the Yoruban, Sah." William looked past Jacob to where Ajayi Abiodun sat at the main mast. The large man looked almost doleful in his boredom. "Captain, 'e's still to wounded too work an' too well to sit about idle. 'e 'as asked after Mister Pew some dozen times. At least in 'is fashion. Why not let 'im go ashore, Cap'n?"

William considered the plight of Ajayi. A few days wounded. Idle. Trapped. He nodded and called for the Yoruban. Ajayi jumped up easily enough, demonstrating that he was not bothered by his injuries. William gestured into the boat and Ajayi went over and down at once. William and Jacob exchanged a nod and William joined the crew in the boat, casting off from the frigate.

Two bells of the First Dog Watch

~Starboard Watches on Duty~

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

I dressed slowly to make sure I did not have a repeat performance as I did with Eric and Luc. I pushed my pistol into my belt around my waist and made a final check of my appearnce before leaving the room. I stopped briefly downstairs to let the women know I was to be gone for no more than a few hours. I had hoped to purchase some things from town and wanted to be back before nightfall. A stern warning from Miss O' Treasagh and Miss Kildare made me promise to be on my best behavior. Little did they know my fingers were crossed behind my back.

I borrowed a cane from the chirurgeon and walked slowly into the late afternoon. As the door shut behind me, I inhaled deeply. Several merchants were still peddling their wares and I ventured out among them.

Several nods from townsfolk and shop owners greeted me along the way. I wondered how many of my crewmates I would meet among the throng in the streets. I thought about my letter to the Captain and pondered about the lack of response. Captain Lasseter also had not been to see me as of late. I half thought they had cut cable and sent the sails aloft, had it not been for my visit from Murin. In mid-thought with slight displeasure, I passed by a small armoury and went to purchase my first of several items.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

BriarRose and Maeve were chatting over the day's purchases and events when Preston came into the front room.

Maeve looked at him and said, "And where might ye be goin'?"

"Well, I am takin' my leave. I've got things ta do and I am tired of been here."

"Sir, you must have a care, you should not be up much less going out side by yourself." BriarRose adomnished.

"I'll not be havin' ya tracin' about town when yer still not recovered." Maeve stated.

"I'll take my chances. I'll not be takin' any orders from the likes of you." And with that he gave a peevish sigh and a look of determination before hobbling with the cane Maeve had left in his room he made his way to the front door looking at them defiantly. Stepping out he slammed the door behind him.

They sat there for a moment in silence too stunned to speak. "Why I never," BriarRose began as she saw the molten red infusing Maeve's face. Taking a breath, BriarRose said, "Maeve, calm down dear, I will see if I can catch him." Running up stairs BriarRose gathered her cloak and pouch. As she came hurrying down the steps there was a swift knock on the door.

Maeve sat there ridged, still seething and holding back her tongue. BriarRose quickly went to answer the door. Two people a man and a woman stood on the step. "Hello, may I be of some assistance?" BriarRose asked.

"We've come to see Preston." the man said in a cheerful voice. BriarRose motioned them to come in to the shop.

Maeve stood up to greet their guests and said, "I am sorry, but ya just missed him."

"Missed him!" The visitors exclaimed in unison. "Aye," Maeve stated still not trusting herself to speak.

BriarRose explained, "Aye, he just stormed out of here. He said he had business to take care of and that he was tired of being laid up. I am sorry to say that he stunned us both because he was in such a temper."

Looking over at Maeve, BriarRose said, "Maeve dear, please sit down. You are paler than a ghost." Turning to their guest she continued, "I need to get her some tea and a bite to eat. Please if you could tell me where your friend might be headed so I can find him."

The gentleman said, "I will go and look for him now." And with that he quickly turned and left the shop.

The dark haired beauty introduced her self, "I am Treasure Tribiani. Bill and I are from the Watch Dog. Don't the two of you worry Bill will find him for ya."

BriarRose excused herself to make some tea for Maeve and Miss Trbiani. After making a pot of tea and putting out some biscuits BriarRose carried the tray out to the women. After serving the tea, BriarRose donned on her cloak. Maeve looked at her and said, "And just where da ya think yer goin'"

BriarRose said, "I am going to the docks Maeve." Holding up her hand to stall Maeve's words she continued, "I'll not be having us look incompetent. I am going to the docks to inform either Captain Brand or Captain Lasseter of our dilemma. Miss Tribiani, it was a pleasure to meet you. Maeve I will be back as soon as I can." Pulling the hood up over her head to conceal her face and went out the door.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Startled that Bill had left she blinked and slowly gazed about the room taking note of it’s size and it’s comfort. The room had character, a soothing personality much like the blonde woman who watched her keenly. Turning towards her she offered her a smile “We met upon arrival I think. Miss O'Treasaigh?” her words tumbled to a halt as the fetching redhead who let them in made for the door pulling up her hood and quickly slipping through it. Tilting her head for but a moment she moved to the door herself and opened it and called out for Briar to return. Once the lass had done so she closed the door and gestured for her to sit.

“Please allow Bill to search for Mr. Pew. I understand your need to tell my Captain but I assure you that Bill can find him and if not Captain Brand is no fool, he knows all of us well. Mr. Pew is like the wind and hates to be caged. But if you think it is still necessary to find my captain then you must do that.” She turned fathomless blue green eyes upon the women and moved yet again towards the table and ruthlessly tugged the cap from her head to break the tension. With a grimace she tossed it upon the table so that her own jet locks gleamed in the light of the fire. “I bloody detest those things! They had to have been created by a man!” she snorted with distaste.

“And please call me Treasure, everyone else does.” She said softly her eyes dancing with mischief and laughter. The petite blonde was as fetching as the redhead and both seemed very concerned over what Captain Brand may say or do.

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Aboard the Heron

Listening as intently as he could to Miss Ashcombe as she began to speak rapidly in English, then French of which he only caught a word or two here and there, Dorian was about to try and stop her and hopefully calm. Before he got the chance she cut herself short, just after speaking a name clearly. Henry Patois. The Captain did not recognize the name but it gave him pause, wondering if that was the name of her uncle, or another who she knew. She sat there looking down at the deck, breathing long even breaths.

“Easy gerl… yer safe enough here. I s’pose you’ll just hafta stay outta sight til we weigh anchor an’ depart. If yer uncle’s corruption runs deep… too many eyes about.”

Walking to the other end of the cabin, Dorian took a pitcher off it’s stand and took it to the cabinet, filling a glass with water. He left the pitcher there and took the water to Miss Ashcombe. He bid her to drink it, which she did. He took the empty glass back to the cabinet, allowing him time to think some. He kept rolling the name she said around in his head. It meant something but he could not place it just yet. The ships bells in the bay rang, telling all that time stops for no man, and reminded Dorian he had much to do as the day waned.

“I’m sorry Miss Ashcombe, I have much to do on shore this day. All I can do presently is leave you here, confined to this room. I’ll tell Mister Tucker to have you checked on until I return. If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask.”

He smiled at her and proceeded to show her the important things in the Wardroom, what she was allowed to do and not do. Some cabinets and chests were locked, others not. Again he took up his pistol and cutlass, then donned the fine coat. He unlocked his seachest and pulled out a leather pouch, heavy with coin. This was attached to his belt next to the pistol. He raised his eyebrows at her as he withdrew two small pistols from the chest and put one in each coat pocket. Closing and locking the chest he stood and headed to the table and took up his hat.

“I shall return soon as I can. I’m trusting you won’t abuse my hospitality…”

He winked at her, hoping she understood he was trying to lighten the mood. He bid her good day and headed on deck. As he headed to the Holy Ground he spotted the Samson in the water next to the Frigate, heading towards the Heron. Dorian spoke to his Bo’sun, telling him of Miss Ashcombe’s accommodations given, and the plans for the evening he had. The guardboat was to remain on it’s rounds, only to break for half a turn of the glass for the evening meal. Once all information was relayed, Dorian turned and headed to the waist. As if his mind had been read, the Samson was within hailing range.

“Ahoy th’ Samson! Have you room for another passenger?!”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Maeve couldn’t help but stare a little at the woman she’d briefly met at the docks a few days previous. She was completely transformed from the girl in men’s clothing, to a creature of stunning beauty. She smiled at Treasure, and both BriarRose and Maeve couldn’t help but laugh at her disdainful display of wearing a head covering.

“Please sit”, she said to Treasure, gesturing wearily to a chair. She did so, glad to sit after so much walking in town today. BriarRose poured her a cup of tea, but her eyes kept flickering restlessly to the door.

“At least let me write up a note and have it delivered to the Captain, so he at least knows what’s happening and that we aren’t responsible”, she pleaded suddenly. Maeve regarded her, and Treasure merely nodded and spoke. “I understand you are feeling badly about his departure, but such a thing isn’t entirely unexpected from the likes of Preston. I can assure you that the Captain will hold nothing against you. He’s well aware of Preston’s temperament”. BriarRose still looked unsatisfied. It was upsetting to have an unwell patient you’d been charged to care for up and decide to leave, when you have someone else to answer to them for.

Maeve put a light hand on Briar’s arm. “How about simply writing a letter, briefly informing the Captain of what has happened and letting him know as well that a member of his own crew is out and about, looking for him as we speak. Perhaps Treasure here would be so kind as to give the letter to the Captain…unless you are not returning anytime soon?”, she questioned, looking now at Miss Tribiani.

Treasure looked thoughtful. “I had no plans to return straight away….perhaps we could find a boy to deliver it straight away?”, she suggested.

“Aye”, BriarRose said, looking more satisfied. With that, she moved away from the table to find paper and writing utensil.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

BriarRose went over to the desk feeling a bit more satisfied to be doing something concerning their escaped patient. Taking out two sheets of parchment, a quill and an ink bottle she began to write a letter to each captain. She was straight forward and to the point as she wrote:

Dear Captain Brand and Captain Lasseter,

I would like to regretfully inform you that our patient, Preston, you had given to Maeve and myself for his care has escaped the confines of the shop. He was determined to leave and neither one of us could persuade him to stay.

Here she paused and turned to look at Treasure she asked her, "Who was the gentleman that went to look for Preston?"

Treasure smiled and replied, "Oh that would be, Billy, or Bill Flint."

BriarRose thanked her and turned around to continue her letter.

At present one of your crew members, Mr. Bill Flint, is looking for him.

Please advise us if there is anything else we can do to help search for your

crew member. I am very worried for he is still quite unwell.

Sincerely,

BriarRose Kildare

With that she sealed both letters with wax, putting her crest imprint from a ring she wore with in the wax.

Going to the door she opened it. There on the corner was a group of street urchins. Calling to one of the boys who came over to her, BriarRose instructed him to deliver a letter to the Watch Dog for Captain Brand and a letter to the Heron for Captain Lasseter. Reaching into her pocket she gave the youngster several coins in payment. He took off running down the street towards the docks.

Closing the door she smiled walking over to the table and sitting down with Maeve and Treasure. Just as she sat down, Mandrake jumped up in to her lap. Turning his head, his gold-green eyes blinked at Treasure.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Still sipping her tea she toyed with the cap and debated tossing it into the fire, on the Dog there was no need to confine her dress to strict society. On the Dog she was unfettered, could wear and be comfortable in her mens clothing. It appealed to her, though to be honest dressing in a gown did as well. As Briar returned to her seat she smiled at the lass then grew still as the black ball of fur leapt into a well covered lap.

A whimper and a scratch upon the door came followed by a heft woof and she jerked her gaze from the knowing eyes of the kitten and towards the door. “My..ah..my fellow crewmate Argus.” She need say nothing more for Miss O’ Treasigh arched a single honeyed brow and told her to let the dog within. Rising she shook out her skirts still eyeing the kitten and opened the door letting the big pup within. Sniffing he smelled the biscuits upon the table and made for them but a command from Treasure had him sitting with a long look upon his jowls that had all three laughing. When the kitten meowed he tilted his head and amber eyes searched for and locked upon the bundle of fur Briar held. He whimpered and his tail beat a fast tattoo upon the boards.

Still she looked out upon the street which was slowly dying of traffic as the sun began to fall casting long shadows and toyed with the collar upon her throat. Reluctantly she turned and closed the door and returned to the table to sit. “So both of you are Doctor’s? Or midwives?” If so..well she had plans for the evening and she would need some tips on prevention.

Aboard the Samson

William had the jollywatt put along side the Heron and take on Captain Lasseter, who joined him in the sternsheets. Sitting there while the boat was rowed towards shore, much discussion was had between them. Dorian informed William of what he hoped was the last they would see of Lieutenant Turcotte and of Miss Ashcombe being sequestered below decks until they left port. William spoke of the happenings on the ‘Dog, one of which concerned Mister Pew resigning his post, and recommending others for positions, such as Eric Franklin as his replacement. This caught Dorian unawares, however in some ways it did not surprise him, considering Preston’s recent illness. He discussed the position that he had thought to give Preston on the Heron with William and both men agreed it was a good solution, if the former Master-at-Arms agreed to it. Their discussion quickly brought them to the docks and soon they would find themselves in the streets of St. Louis as the sun turned the sky over to the rising full moon.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Jenny had waited eyes to the floor, composing herself. After a pause long enough to cause her to look up, the Captain had spoken. He didn't question her further. Mindful that the Samson was likely approaching and concerned with tasks not yet completed, he seemed satisfied with the information given. Considering her plight and that the Lieutennant wasn't likely to return, Dorian left Miss Ashcombe to the confines of the Heron's Ward room under the watchful eye of Mister Tucker. He'd shown her about much to her surprise, pointing out various chests and cabinets as he readied himself to go ashore. Jenny watched as Captain Lasseter again donned the coat, arms and no small amount of coin, to which he added a pair of small pistols. Smiling as he did so. Jenny thought that perhaps though less solemn than Captain brand, he was a man who equally relished his position in life and whatever may come with it. He invited her to make herself comfortable, joking for a moment that she should take care not to abuse his hopspitality. Which Jenny took him to mean seriously until he winked at her seing the obvious look of shock at such a statement. Captain Lasseter touched his hat and was gone. Alone for what would likely be some time, Jenny walked about the Ward Room absorbed in the trappinngs of a ships Captain. She ran her hand along the scrolled trim of one wall and peered into the cupboards and chests finding one which contained a coat, weskets, oilskins and on its shelf shoes and cutlasses leaned in it's corner. Among them was one she recognized as a mortuary sword. Longer than the others with an ornately carved guard. Jenny had learned from her uncle in her earlier days at the plantation, the difference in weapons meant for various situations and forms of attack, defense or simply ceremony. Martin Garaud coveted a fine collection of such weapons. One, he'd said with reverence which was priceless. Belonging to a general of the previous Century and which hung above the mantle in his private study. Jenny touched the basket of the sword, tracing its engravings. She wondered what service it had seen. What lives or forutne it may have saved or taken at it's able handling. A sound at the door made her jump and she closed the cabinet quickly. Jenny answered the knock and a man entered introducing hinmself as the Bosun Mister Tucker. Miss Ashcombe returned his greeting with propriety that felt awkward dressed as she was. Still she was grateful as she'd realized she didn't know what the officer looked like which Captain Lasseter had told her about. He seemed a pleasant man as well and after seeing that she was commfortable, excused himself again to his duties. Jenny continued to the trunks and sea chest opening only those she had been told she was allowed. Inside finding various books, items for daily living and some she didn't recoginise and found quite curious. She resolved to ask Murin several more questions when next they met. Jenny missed Murin then, wishing for someone to talk to and quiet her nerves, though the sounds from above and the slow movement of the ship were a comfort. She sat at the table and closed her eyes trying to ignore the throbbing which though a measure less had returned. Jenny glanced at the cabinet and it's dark bottles but would not take any drink without permission. She turned instead to the contentes of the small drawer. Finding quill and ink, parchment, the tinderbox he had used earlier, a ropemaker's tool with simply carved handle and a folded letter which she did not open. On a shelf she found a tin with a few odd buttons, needle and thread and next to it a tin of fine tobacco. As she inhaled the rich aroma of its contents Jenny wondered if the Captain had a tailor such as Miss McDonough was for the Watch Dog. She replaced the tin considering that she might make herself useful during the long hours of the journey. Next there were several ledgers. Jenny ran a hand along the spines selecting one and as curiosity prompted her, opened it. She stepped toward the lamp and inspected the book revealing row upon row of neatly penned names and other information which filled its pages owing to one meticulous with such keeping of records. Jenny replaced the book finding another which contained drawings and text about various animals of land and sea and settled back at the table to read. After a short time the days events left her weary and she laid her head upon crosssed arms meaning only to rest a moment and fell asleep over the open book.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

I had not yet gone a cable's length from Miss O'Treasaighs when I heard a familiar voice.

"Mister Pew!", called Bill Flint.

I stopped and turned to find Bill in a quick step to catch up.

"Mister Flint, m' goode man." I offered a hand and we shook and spoke briefly. Mister Flint told me of both his and Treasure's recent arrival at the Chirugeon's and finding me to be gone. I laughed and asked him to continue with me on my trip to town. He agreed and we set forth again.

At the Wharf

The Samson tied off to the docks and the two captains departed the boat with the big Yoruban in tow. Captain Brand gave instruction to the boat crew that he would return shortly, as he hoped his business would be concluded as quickly as possible. Dorian on the other hand had much to accomplish and knew he would not be returning at the same time as William. He asked the Captain of the Frigate if he would relay a message to the Heron to have the Jollywatt sent to the docks to wait for his return. As they were about to part company a small boy was calling out to any and all of the boat crews at the wharf.

“Messages pour les capitaines du chien de garde et du héron ! Je cherche le capitaine du chien de garde et du héron !”

This caught both Captains’ attention and William called the boy over. The urchin asked if they knew who he was in search of, to which William told him he had found not one, but both of the men he was seeking. The boy handed over the messages and was rewarded with coin. He thanked the Captain and was off with a wide grin. William handed over the one message with Dorian’s name on it. Dorian looked at William and they both opened the messages at the same time. Their reactions were near identical. Both men sighed and chuckled, shaking their heads.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

August 2, 1704 - St. Louis docks

Three bells of the First Dog Watch

William made a face at the darkening sky and looked about at the small group. He had brought along Ajayi to see Mister Pew. He had also brought Joshua Wellings, Kevin Norman and Klaas Scymmelpenninck to serve him on his errands ashore. These three men were all relatively new to the 'Dog and he meant to test them by this short journey. His motives were two fold, for two of them were not fit enough yet to move the cargo for auction aboard the 'Dog, and he thought the walking would do them some good.

"Gentlemen, we have a vagabond crew member about shore and two women who would like to see him returned to their care at once. Mister Norman, you're with Captain Lasseter. Mister Wellings, you'll take Ajayi and search about town. I will take Scymmelpenninck with me. Captain Lasseter and I have business ashore and we will watch for Mister Pew wherever we go. If any of you should find Mister Pew, you shall send him to the chirurgeons forthwith. If you should instead find other wayward boys of the Heron and 'Dog, you may ask them to be on the watch for Mister Pew. I leave you all to your duties as you see fit."

"Sah...how shall I know Mister..."Joshua Wellings began.

"Pew." William finished. "Sorry, Mister Wellings. Half a moment." William called Paul Mooney out of the Jollywatt to go with him, while he sent Klaas with Joshua and Ajayi. He confirmed several times with the Dutchman that he understood who they were after before he let them go. As they departed, William called after Joshua. "Mind where you go and what you say." He cautioned, looking at Ajayi. Ajayi did not seem to understand this unspoken caution, but a Joshua nodded only a moment after.

"I understand, sah."

"Thank you, Mister Wellings." William watched them go and then walked a ways with Dorian before the pairs parted for their separate errands ashore.

The coil of sisal nipped into the ruddy blister that complimented the collection of insults marring his skillful hand. He lifted the finger to his lips and nipped back at the pain restraining a curse of merit that measured the injury. Continuing, Alder bound the sculpture beneath the canvas with the remainder of the marginal cord as Robert pondered the eventual engineering of affixing this lass aboard the Heron's bow.

The carpenter secured each section in preparation for travel, yet deftly masked well placed knots set to undo and not jam upon the likelihood of Captain Lasseter inspection. Pleased with his efforts despite the limited repertoire of knots at his command, Alder ushered Robert’s attention.

“Tha Captain might be about any time, eh?” Alder offered as much query as statement.

“Aye, that ‘e shud, Lad.” replied Robert equally anxious to indulge in drink and all manner of escape at the Inn, though action to this end was unforthcoming. “We shud wait on em.”

“Aye” exhaled the land-weary carpenter; hopeful that amid the uncomfortable stillness of the floorboards, Captian Lasseter's seafaring presence would supervene.

In the stale air of the chandlery, lanterns gradually exchange authority as wicks were allowed to rise and the veil of night began to fall.

Alder.jpg

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Twain

At the Wharf, St. Louis, Martinique

As the group of men from the ships separated, Dorian walked along with William for a distance while those with them trailed behind.

“Just like Pew t’do such when we finally get time t’be about. We’ll find ‘im I’m sure of it. Probably in th’ nearest Ordinary makin’ friendly wi’ th’ gerls.”

Both men chuckle some more and soon parted ways, Brand to the Jewelers and Lasseter to the office of the Dock Warden and other points beyond. As they parted, each man in tow joined the Captain they were with, Kevin Norman came up even beside Captain Lasseter and gave a quick sideways salute, as he did not know him aside form the trip to shore and introductions on the wharf. Dorian gave him a nod and looked the man over. He was above average height and strongly built. He looked slightly nervous, so Dorian broke the silence.

“Well Mister Norman… wot ‘ave ye t’say fer yerself?”

Kevin worked his jaw then swallowed loudly.

“Captain Lasseter, Sah, I was made prisoner here after the Rounder run aground near th’ Grand Turks. Well, we weren’t captured right off, me an’ Brent’n. Had some good luck an’ some bad, you understand how it can be, Sah?”

Dorian smiled at the man and nodded his understanding. Kevin made to go on, but since Captain Lasseter had only nodded and not spoken he was apprehensive, instead he ran a hand though his shaggy hair and remained silent. They arrived at the Dock Warden’s office and Dorian had an interesting conversation with the man in charge. Some haggling was done to get a good spot at the wharf side. No secrets were to be had from Kevin, as he was right there the whole time, once Dorian had to ask him to step away as he was crowding them as they came to an accord. The man didn’t take offence, nor did he offer apology, he just took a pace back. The Deal made and some specie given, Captain Lasseter and Mister Norman headed into the town to find the Chandlers where the Carpenter of the Heron had been sent to do some special work. On the way, they stopped in to another Chandlery and Dorian inspected a box full of brass plates he had ordered. As he held up each plate to the light, Kevin whispered each word that was engraved on each. After six such readings Dorian put the plates back into the box and turned to his comrade.

“Mister Norman… Kevin is it? I would appreciate some quiet while I inspect my order.”

“Oh, Aye Sah… I’ll… I’ll be right ‘ere.”

“Thank you, Kevin…”

Mister Norman stepped over and feigned interest in a set of pewter goblets as Dorian finished up his business. And soon they were at the door of the other Chandlery where the owner bid them entry and showed them to the back room where work on the figure head was accomplished.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Bill and I continued the well worth paths from the homes into town proper. Several lanterns had begun to be lit by the shop keepers in the coming evening.

"It 's been done Mister Flint," I mentioned breaking the silence between us. Bill crooked his neck and looked down at me.

"Sir?"

"I sent over a letter t' th' Captain. I offer'd yeself 's Master-t-arms 'board th' Heron." Bill stopped in mid-step.

"Sir?"

I leaned on the cane and motioned for him to keep up. "I need a few things Bill, please keep up." I smiled as Bill took the two large gaits he needed to return to my side. "I may jus' stay 'ere 'n th' island Mister Flint. I dinnot know when or if my health will return."

"What about the Watch Dog Mister Pew?"

I coughed into the small handkerchief. "Eric Franklin will take o'er my duties aboard th' Watch Dog. Luc 'll report t' Eric 's sergeant, 'n Jean 'll b' second 'n charge o' th' marines, or 't least thas wot I requested from th' Captain."

Bill was always a man of few words, proud to let his actions speak for themselves, but he seemed unable to produce either.

I arrived at my first destination and waved Bill inside. "Come."

The bookseller was ready to close, but for a few coins and a slight berating from his wife he remained open and even helped me chose some appropriate tomes for the Ward Room. He wrapped the books in heavy paper and bound them for transport. Payment and gratitude exchanged, we departed for the accoutre much to Bill's delight.

The trip to the gunsmith involved much conversation about the future, should the Captains agree to the drastic change in officers. Bill was concerned about the new recruits, worried they could hold muster since their incarceration ashore here. "How many are marines Mister Pew, " he asked cautiously.

"A few, from wha' Mister Franklin 'as discussed wit' me," I replied, "as t' th' number, I dinnot know."

Mister Flint continued to talk over what he would like to see from the men and to have them begin to drill while we were still ashore at Martinique. Once at sea again, he would continue to have them work on aim, speed and accuracy. Bill even began to discuss the prize offered for the first marine to remove a helmsman from his post.

We continued through the evening until I had my arms full and even had Bill returning with a breadfruit pie wrapped in a cheesecloth.

I knocked at the chirurgeon's and paused then opened the large door.

It was with no small relief, and checked annoyance, that Maeve received Mr. Pew upon his return with Mr. Flint. She said nothing more than to simply say she was glad for his safe return, and thanked Mr. Flint for finding him and returning him safely into their care. Briar remained where she sat, arms tightly folded, saying nothing. Miss Tribbiani stood and went to Bill’s arm, exclaiming how glad she was also that Bill had found him. Pew merely gave everyone a weary smile and excused himself and his packages to his room for the evening. Maeve called after him, just before he shut to door to the surgery, telling him a warm dinner would be brought to him soon.

Bill, however, did not look as though he took any pride or joy in returning Preston. Instead, he looked reflective and as though much weighed on his mind. Treasure seemed to notice this, and with regret, thanked the two doctor for their hospitality and advice, and left with Argus and Mr. Flint, intent, or so it seemed, to have the latter's thoughts once they were alone.

- Maria Robinson

August 2, 1704 - At the jewelry shop of Monsieur Thibault Molyneaux

William sat patiently before Monsieur Thibault Molyneaux while he examined the last of the Ilex Fortune. The jeweler was meticulous to say the least, spending a significant amount of time on each item as it passed through his fingers. He would pause only long enough to make a notation. Then he would return to the small pile to extract another unusual trinket. His face was a practiced mask of gentle dispassion. He never smiled or frowned in any way. He never raised an eyebrow. He never said a word.

"Do you play at cards, Monsieur?" William asked quietly.

"Non. Je m'occupe du certain, Capitaine." Thibault returned, smiling a little at the question.

Adélaïde Molyneux, the daughter of Monsieur Molyneaux, came in at the curtain from the adjacent room and offered William tea. He took it graciously, having always hated tea, for she was a beautiful woman and William was no fool. She smiled but a little, for she was possessed of the same unreadable face as her father.

"This one is a...ce qui est le mot...paste." Monsieur Molyneaux said, smiling more than usual. He handed it over to William at once. William excepted it, bemused.

"An imposter..." he said, shaking his head. "I shall make a present of it then at an appropriate time."

No other fakes were discovered and the appraisals continued for the better part of an hour. The jeweler's hired man came to the doorway to see how the business was going and William and he exchanged their usual nod. Adélaïde appeared again only once more to refresh William's cup, this time offering him sugar, which sweetened his graciousness. Sugar was a luxury he was not often afforded and he made a note to himself to buy a share's worth before leaving port.

First bell of Second Dog Watch

Ward Room of The Heron

The lamp flickered with fresh air as Miss Moore opened the door to the ward room. She had knocked but hearing no answer entered. Seeing Miss Ashcombe with her head upon her hands still at the Captain's table, Callie thought to wake her. She set the tray atop the smaller cabinet and regarded the woman once again motionless in front of her. The bandages she'd placed earlier were gone and the womans breathing appeared steady. Miss Moore shook her head slowly and clucked her tounge in compassion, choosing to let Miss Ashcome enjoy the peace she had found. Callie placed the tray of food and water nearby, checked the lamp and left closing the door quietly behind her.

redcat-wd-banner2.jpg

August 2, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

The business of selling the Maastrict goods continued despite the darkness, though Mister Badger did not like the lateness of the hour. There were not so many strangers aboard that they could not watch them all by lamplight, but even so, one fool was found pocketing an item unpaid for. Mister Badger put him over the side head first with no more warning than a hearty 'Farewell!' as he hoisted the man over the rail by the seat of his pants. There followed a very satisfying splash with French profanity coming immediately before and after.

Tudor smiled to hear so little French strung together with so much cursing as the man found his way into the first available boat. Then Eric Franklin pointed an unloaded musket at the man and politely asked him to return his ill gotten goods. Not knowing the nature of the weapon the man was obliged to comply and finding himself in the wrong boat, he was also obliged to swim again.

After he was gone the auction of goods continued and bales, crates, boxes, casks, and barrels all made their way over the side into waiting boats as Tudor conducted each merchant aft, there to make their mark in the careful ledgers of the Watch Dog. The Ilex strongbox begin to fill again and it would soon brim with the final shares of their recent adventures.

Elsewhere near Fort Royal

Turcotte was not happy. He stood at one of three windows in the room with a glass of untouched port, staring out at the Cul du Sac Royal and the few bobbing lights which belied the ships at anchor there. He watched two specific groups of lights. The first set betraying a larger ship and the second a smaller one. He tapped the edge of his glass with the heavy gold ring on his left hand. He often did this without knowing that he did so. It was a tick of impatience that he was unaware of most of the time, though everyone around him was so used to it by now that they had taken to mimicking the tapping when he was not about.

Quirion Charron was also there. He sat at the only table in the room shuffling a deck of cards that were so worn that they were now 'marked cards' that could be discerned by their stains alone. He was alone at the table and alone in the room, but for the Lieutenant. He shuffled the cards to take his mind off of the pervasive silence. The Lieutenant was in a mood.

"Come and sit, Sah." He offered, and Turcotte answered him with silence. "It can do no good to brood, sah, until we hear from L'Ours."

"Thank you, Charron." Turcotte returned impatiently, and he did not turn from the window. Quirion continued shuffling the cards. Turcotte tapped.

After a time there came a knock at the door. Quirion might have sighed with relief, but for the Lieutenant's mood. Instead, he stood up casually, going to the door with no more haste than a man quite put out to be bothered at that moment, though he was relieved at the interruption. He was even more relieved to find the very man they had been waiting for standing in the doorway. Quirion ushered him in at once.

"What is it, Raul?" the man asked, obviously in a similar mood. He stood just inside the door, and though Quirion offered him a chair, he refused. In fact, though he had only just arrived, he kept his coat and hat and his whole demeanor was that of a man bent on departure. "What do you want of me...Raul?"

Lieutenant Raul Turcotte did not like being addressed informally. It goaded him a little to be addressed in just such a way in front of Sergeant Charron. He felt that his rank alone earned him some guaranteed respect. He crossed to the table and set the glass of port down. He gestured to an empty chair, but the man did not move.

"What...do...you...want...of...me...Raul?" the man repeated, painfully slow and in a tone most certainly designed to upset the Lieutenant. Before Turcotte could answer, he added. "Have you a quill and ink enough to write with? Shall I transpose my distaste into simple notes of few words? Shall I explain my displeasure at being summoned in this manner? Shall I describe the fragrance and form of that woman whose company I departed not half an hour ago...?"

Quirion was not glad to be there. The Lieutenant was in a foul mood to be sure, but to see and hear L'Ours in such a mood was so much worse. L'Ours...The Bear...as many on Martinique and elsewhere called him, was a man of significant weight, both physically and politically. He was not fat, but like a bear he was wide in the shoulders, tall and gruff. He held no true position in this government or any other and he was not of any military rank, but he held influence over a few men of power and many a man owed him enough that his influence was dangerous. He all but growled at Turcotte as he stood in his heavy coat and hat and Quirion would have accepted a stiff drink, a stiff cot somewhere or a stiff boot to the head not to be there just then.

"You owe me a favor." Turcotte said with too much vinegar in his voice, as if the owing of favors lent him the greater power. It didn't.

Two bells of the Second Dog Watch

The dratted cap was placed upon her head and with Argus at their heels she strolled at his side. The night was lovely, the air heavy with scents of flowers and sea, with the scents of victuals being cooked. Bill was quiet and reflective so she left him to his thoughts, her own filled with the events of the day. Her stomach growled and Argus whined and loathe as she was to break Bill from his thoughts she was hungry.

“Bill? There is a tavern ahead..perhaps we can sup there?”

“Aye. “

As he fell back into his silence she maneuvered them through the last of the street vendors closing or already on their way home and entered a small but neat tavern. The smells from the kitchen promising and as it was already crowded she could not see a table. But Bill did and quickly had them settled in a small corner. A tavern wench appeared and they both ordered and waited for their food. Bill still silent, Treasure merely waiting.