Marlinespike Knotwork

Here's some things I've been working on. With my disability, I've been looking into an alternate means of employment, so I thought about selling some of my work, and perhaps taking on some new custom work.

So far, I can make a plethora of things, ranging from monkey's fists to bellropes.

PM or Email me if you're interested in having any work done :huh:

Cats1.jpg

A couple Cat 'o Nine

Cat_PommelBead.jpg

Star Knot, with a bead in the center

AnsteorranTurksHead.jpg

One of my belaying pins(which I also make out of oak) with a Turk's Head Knot

Fender1.jpg

Simple Boat Fender

MonkeysFistsImage.jpg

MonkeysFists.jpg

Monkey's Fists

Handle1.jpg

Ropework Handle

Bottle1.jpg

Knotty Bottle

Ratlines5.jpg

Ratlines6.jpg

Ratlines

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Yes, though not in the style I make. A traditional Cat' was usually made from a 3 foot piece of heavy rope. Roughly a foot of the rope was left for the handle, and the rest was unlaid into it's 3 strands, which were further unlaid into their 3 yarns, giving it 9 tails each 2 feet long. 3 knots were ties in each tail, and the Cat' was sometimes constructed by the person to be flogged.

Sometimes they were just that simple. I have, however, seen examples where the handle has been wormed and parcelled, and some that have been wormed, parcelled, and served. I've only seen one that has been made of decorative knotwork, and I can't remember if it was an extant period piece or not.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

I'm impressed., I had no idea., Capn Mac you got some talent!. I may be in the need for a Bell Ringer and a clevis and suspension rope for the bell as well., for our vessel. I will send you a PM when I am ready., wow nice stuff. :huh:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Cat_PommelBead.jpg

Star Knot, with a bead in the center

Nice work on the star knot, those are particularly difficult. Is that nylon you made it out of? It looks really glossy in the photo but I can't really tell. Walmart markets an 1/8th inch cotton cord which is really nice to work with. It doesn't look period of course as it's braided rather than stranded but the end result is nice and if it's painted (like a bell lanyard) it looks really good. Also, I reccomend learning a six strand diamond knot. You can work it back up over the crown sennit and it has a completely different look and texture. If I can figure out how to post pictures here I'll show an example. In any case, it's a nice break during a long run of sennit.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Here's the sample I was talking about:

100_1581.jpg

The six strand diamond knot I was referring to is that bit just above the star knot. Also, just for the helluvit here are two pictures of a work in progress. The ocean plat isn't adjusted completely and the ends haven't been cut off and sewn into place but that's ok because the line is going to be cannibalized to complete the other mat which also needs considerable adjusting. The line is 7/16" 3-strand dacron that served as main and jib halyards aboard a boat I did some rigging work on fairly recently (including new halyards).

p.s. ignore the sandal-tan foot ;)

100_1582.jpg

100_1583.jpg

Ropework_Header.jpg

Very nice work, maties.

Cap'n Mac, kin ye post how many dubloons ye be willin' t'sell yer pieces fer? (In English: how much are you charging?) ;)

Someone at a pirate faire gave my kids a monkey fist; we put it with the rest of our pirate gear.

And I likes yer mats, Morgan lad.

Very talented sailers we has here. ;)

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

• 4 months later...

Migods, ye lads do beauty work! Most pirates I know around here know knots about as well as they know quantum mechanics, an' for them, it's doin' miracles to know th' difference between a reef an' a granny, let alone knowin' any knots beyond.... (An', it's never I'm askin' tha' lot ta toss me a lifeline!)

I've had an interest in decorative marlinespike seamanship fer a number o' years, noo, an' though I haven't gotten me hands on Smith's book yet, I've had me copy of Ashley's fer quite some time. Never actually got around ta gettin' started, tho'. Too many things kept gettin' in th' way. Mostly, I've just done some lesser decorative things: lanyard knots, those worthwhile for makin' buttons, an' some o' th' more useful knots fer campin' an' such, some of which I've taught ta others locally. Or, in some cases tried ta....

Best o' luck ta ye, Capt'n MacNamara, on your venture! :ph34r: It's amazin' what some pieces will go fer when th' right folks are lookin'!

Gotrum.jpgSignature.jpg

Heck yeah, Cap'n Mac! That's beautiful work! And so is yours, Morgan! I would love to learn to do that so that I could make me own beckets for a sea chest. B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

By the way, does anyone know of any on-line tutorials or sources which teach you how to make a marlinespike becket? B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

Aye, that is indeed beautiful work, but I would need some instructions on how to do that. :)

(1945)

Aye, that is indeed beautiful work, but I would need some instructions on how to do that. :)

I will write up a quick tutorial for a grommet style becket over on captain twill. If it's not up yet check soon. I'm typing this note first.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I think it's rightly over in 'Twill'...

Grande stuff there, Morgan.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Aye, Morgan, thank you so much for that tutorial, it is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I look forward to seeing the next part on how to make the covering and Turk's Head, etc. Thanks again! :) :lol:

(1945)

Ok, the tutorial is finally done. All in all a relatively easy project and a pair could be made in a day for about 4 bucks (10 or so if you use leather). I still think I should have put it here in plunder rather than twill but since I started it there that's where it finished. Enjoy!

Ropework_Header.jpg