Cooperage Question

MorganTyre

That is an interesting question....

Its difficult because the containers were based of of volume that they contained, not size of the container. (Did that make sense?) So as long as it held 36 gallons, it was considered a Barrel, if it was only 9 gallons, it was a Firkin.

Beer Volume Standard Measurements

1 Pin = 4.5 Gallons

1 Firkin = 2 Pins = 9 Gallons

1 Kilderkin = 2 Firkins = 18 Gallons

1 Barrel = 2 Kilderkins = 36 Gallons

1 Hogshead = 6 Firkins = 54 Gallons

1 Puncheon = 2 Barrels = 72 Gallons

1 Butt = 2 Hogsheads = 108 Gallons

I have only seen refrences to volume, not size of the container. Here are more dry and wet weight English measures

http://www.footrule.com/1/conversn/oldengu...r=homepage&ac=0

It also kind of depends what time frame as well. For GAoP, I am pretty sure that they were still using wood bands and not iron around a barrel.

Are you going to be ships cooper?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

wasnt there a measurement for a liquid tun has well?

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

Yes... a tun is 2 Pipes (a pipe is 2 hogsheads) or 252 gallons

GoF

also had read somewhere that the tonnage refered to in merchant ships was how many of those tun it could carry. I could be wrong. thanks GoF!!!

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

Are you going to be ships cooper?

No, I've just had an interest in casks for years though I'm not sure why. I've been decorating my bedroom with a combination traditional/modern nautical theme (to blend my historical interests with my real life occupation/hobby) and I have an empty corner so was thinking either sea-chest or barrel.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Also, many casks weren't necessarily round. Often they were designed to make the most of the ship's hold. Thus, you'd get odd oblong or triangular shaped ones on occasion. A bit late, but they have many barrels in the hold of the Charles W. Morgan, a whaler from the late 19th Century, and they were all designed for her hold and to go in certain locations. Then, the cooper aboard would assemble them as needed for oil. I know some I've seen are large keg-style barrels, and some are thin and long. Therefore, I'd say that just about any dimensions would be appropriate and historically accurate.

Coastie :huh:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I remember listening to the cooper at Mystic Seaport talk about how important the cooper was, and how he managed to construct barrels to fit every nook and cranny onboard ship. Every nook and cranny represented another $X, and those whalers weren't joking around when it came to maximizing profits. In fact, it hasn't really changed today... ships push it to the limits... one of the captains around here was heard to say once something like, "every extra inch in a channel represents another $10000 profit..."

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.