Pirate (Toy) Guns

I decided to postpone buying a replica pistol until Denix starts making them again. Everybody seems to be out of stock except Ebay, so prices are only gonna climb until some of the backlog orders can be met. Besides my WebTV has problems working with Ebay (very slow loading, amongst other quibbles) and I don't know which vendors I can trust. In the meantime, I did find a temporary substitute at Paul Bunyan's, even though it's not quite historically accurate.

I ordered their Double-Barrelled Cap Pistol. This one is pretty big (about 12" from butt to muzzle), and kind of interesting from a mechanical standpoint. You have to cock the left hammer before the right hammer will set. There's one trigger, and pulling it releases the right hammer, then the left hammer. Both hammers will go in quick succession if you pull the trigger back in one motion, but it's easy to fire them singly if you prefer. Too bad they don't still make the stick-on caps Mattel used to make in the 60's. They'd be perfect for this thing.

1-2-687.jpg

Here's a big pic of my new toy!

They also sell a Blunderbuss Pistol and various other toy implements of violence that might (or might not) be appropriate gifts for any pirate offspring you may happen to have.

My pistol came in the mail less than a week after I ordered it. Also included, at no extra charge, was a coupon good for $5 off at one of their restaurants. This might prove of some slight interest to you, if you happen to be planning a trip out thataways.

--Cap'n Bob

Ooh ooh, that's going on my Christmas list! :lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I got one just like that at Disneyworld when I was a kid. Except back then they were better as the stocks were real wood with a nice stained finish. They also weren't required to put those ghastly orange cappers on the barrel either. Ahhh they don't make 'em like they used ta! :lol:

Still, I give them props for still making them. That's cool!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I got one just like that at Disneyworld when I was a kid. Except back then they were better as the stocks were real wood with a nice stained finish. They also weren't required to put those ghastly orange cappers on the barrel either. Ahhh they don't make 'em like they used ta!  :rolleyes:

These are made of wood and metal. Alas, the wood is painted brown. Perhaps I'll disassemble mine, strip the wood, stain and refinish it. I've already had it apart once to paint the barrels & end caps with "hammered metal" paint. They're made by the Parris Manufacturing Co.

The PMC website mentions some kind of caps for these guys but I dunno where to find 'em. I suppose I could just stick a paper cap to the anvil with a dab of rubber cement.

--Cap'n Bob

one of the little nightmares i mean little darling children :huh: on my street has on of those that he fires in my direction all the time... i'm afraid of the sound the caps make.... so they like to watch me jump.

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Bonney... Next time one of the little "darlings" does that.... just whip out yer blunderbuss and return fire........ :huh:

That should stop them really quick........ :ph34r:

(My lawyer says that I have to put in a disclaimer about suggesting the above...... Dang... they take alla th' fun outta being a Pyrate..........)

Bonney... Next time one of the little "darlings" does that.... just whip out yer blunderbuss and return fire........ :P

That should stop them really quick........ :P

(My lawyer says that I have to put in a disclaimer about suggesting the above...... Dang... they take alla th' fun outta being a Pyrate..........)

:P oh yeah that'll work... actually there on to being ninjas now... which means i hear a lot of "you cant see me!" coming from bushes before a loud "hiya!..." i can live with hiya

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

actually there on to being ninjas now.

Ninjas....... hummmmmm... with your blunderbuss you can finaly settle the whole Pyrate vs. Ninja thing once and for all.... and get rid of them all at the same time.....

(My Lawyer said almost the same thing as he said in the eairier post..... Basicaly... It's not nice to shoot ninjas, and there may be some leagal problems if you take my advice.....)

:unsure::unsure::o:o:o:o:o:o:o

::: wheezin', sounding like a hound dog, tears streaming down her face; rolling on the deck; gullet hurtin'::::

:o:o:o:o

Oh, dear God.. Patrick.. that is ... TOO GOOD! :: Applauds::

Reminds me of that scene in "the 3 Musketeers" that had Kiefer Sutherland, and some others in it... The one gent that was a musketeer and a pirate... facing some Oriental Ninja like dude... doing some fancy moves... then the Musketeer (was it Porthos?) mocked him in return, only to swiftly slash the rope.. & down into the drink went th' Oriental! Too hilarious!

Aye.. Pirates are far better.

::: still recovering from the image:: Too hilarious.

As to the pistol.. I've a couple of the older wood and metal toy pistols. No orange crappy cover either. Now... I just have to find those little paper caps. The little plastic ones don't work so well on these cap pistols.

You can see the toy pistol in the signature.

I've a better non-firing replica since then. The 2 toy cap pistols I've reserved for my nephew to use at the pirate events.

:unsure:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Well, I've got it apart again. I sanded off the old crep-brown paint. I then rasped and sanded it into a more pleasing shape. The right-angle edges of the fore-end and the oddly-pointed butt didn't look quite right to me.

I've stained it a dark brown, which really brought out the wood grain. I don't understand why anyone would take a wood object and hide the beautiful grain under an opaque "wood brown" finish. When the stain's dry I'll give it a coupla coats of satin-finish spar urethane. When I reassemble it I'll try to get some digipics and post the result.

--Cap'n Bob

• 1 month later...

I finally got a pic of me pistols in their final form. The top pistol in the image below started out as a toy civil war pistol that I bought from Arrow Gift Shop. Much as I did with the double-barreled pistol below it, I removed the metal bits, reshaped and refinished the stock, repositioned the barrel band, and then put it all back together. Not bad work for an amateur, what?

braceopistols.jpg