Question for those who went last year

Hawkyns

We're trying to decide if we want to go to PIP or Fantasy Fest this year.

For those who camped in the fort-

1) when were you allowed in?

2)what facilities (water, firewood, straw, bathrooms, etc.) were provided?

3)did they allow cooking fires?

4)how authentic was the camp, ie was it done right or did they allow coleman lanterns and stoves, coolers and chairs with merely a throw over them, and more concerned with comfort than authenticity?

Thanks guys. I'm seriously considering it, but if I take the trouble to get my kit down there, I need to know if it's being done right or if it's a farbfest.

Hawkyns

:P

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

We're trying to decide if we want to go to PIP or Fantasy Fest this year.

For those who camped in the fort-

1) when were you allowed in?

The Friends of Fort Taylor orginization allowed us in on Thursday. You should contact Harry directly at the fort to see how early they'll let you in. They are very accomodating.

2)what facilities (water, firewood, straw, bathrooms, etc.) were provided?

Water is provided inside the fort for drinking and cooking. Bathrooms are walking distance. We did not have straw. Firewood was available in one of the cavernous rooms in the fort. Lots of wood. The showers are on the beach.

3)did they allow cooking fires?

Yes. They dug a fire pit for us right in the grass and we replaced the sod when we left. Harry said the sod took so well that he cannot find the fire pit we had.

4)how authentic was the camp, ie was it done right or did they allow coleman lanterns and stoves, coolers and chairs with merely a throw over them, and more concerned with comfort than authenticity?

Our camp was very authentic. We had wood furniture, period tents and a few extras. Oil burning lamps were hung everwhere. They weren't period, but they also weren't coleman lamps. The only thing unperiod was our luggage which was wrapped away in canvas at the back of our tents.

Patrick's camp was entirely period.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Haven't done it for PiP yet, (although it's looking very promising ;) ) but I have flown with the camp before.

Tent (7x9 wedge), a couple of blankets, weapons, and various odds and ends of gear goes into one of those plastic golf club cases. Basic kitchen, eating gear, and assorted odds and ends goes into a military parachute bag. Clothing goes into a small carryon.

No, I don't take furniture, but I couldn't document it, anyway. A log or two become stools. Likwise for a table. If I take a piece of canvas for a fly, I tie it to whatever trees or fences are available.

Not much comfort, byt very doable. I've found that paring down to absolute basics makes the camp more authentic, anyway.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

William, how did you get your encampment down there?

Three words...glutton for punishment.

Like Hawkyns, I packed just the necessary. The ground cloth went into the same canvas bag as the tent. As did the flag. Rope was coiled into the same bag and a collapsible canvas bucket capped off the top. Everything else went into bags and duffles. I ended up with two check-ins (Tent and suitcase) and one carry-on if you don't count my tricorn hat. The tent was heavy and unpleasant, but it looked great on site.

a350f917.jpg

Furniture was lent to us from the fort in the form of wood benches. We didn't cook on site, so we had no cookware or utensils.

We borrowed the poles from two different vendors. People were very kind to us. It saved us buying poles.

Now Patrick...wow...Patrick brought everything in one very compact and period kit. Check out pictures of his kit and you will find a beautiful and portable camp.

6eb1f413.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I thought the "Open Keg" tavern was very nice. Perhaps not 100% period but with all the lamps and candles it had a real "Feel" to it. To me it was how I imaged a pirate tavern in a captured fort would look like.

Lookin forward to seein ya and your demonstration at the LORE out here in Carona, Cascabel.

Aye, Petee.... It will be good to see ya again, along with the rest of me West Coast shipmates. Keep a weather eye out for an up coming article I wrote for No Quarter Given on flintlocks, if you are a subscriber.

>>>>> Cascabel

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Aye ye have to do the Mallory sqare bit at least once, but if you go in garb and fully armed folks seem to be less pushy. I wonder why...

A few of us should go every night to promote the event, hand out fliers etc., as always in conjunction with the organizers.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

but if you go in garb

I went to Malory Square to watch the sunset in garb.... had a lot of tourist ask if they could take my picture, and then they tried to pay me........ I didn't take the money, but did tell them about PiP........ so maybe passing out flyers might be a good idea..... there were a lot of people in town (and in the bars....) that didn't know PiP was going on at the time also.......