Do it yourself Pyrate map

Patrick Hand

I was rearranging some of my Pyrate files, and found this map I made last year. I figure someone else might like the idea enough to make one of their own�

I originally made this map in Photoshop, but the idea would also work by tracing . What I did, was scan a map, I then made a new layer and put a dot on all the places that I wanted on the map. I deleted the original map, and then started adding islands where the dots were. Added a few other layers for water, etc� and ended up with a scale map of Central California. But it looks much more Pyrate like than the one showing rivers and places that I never go�

map.jpg

That's an interesting method. When it comes to making ficticious maps, I just kinda start by making a bunch of jagged lines that become landmasses.

One thing about tracing over a map is that you're bound to get it looking realistic - EG, your islands're all facing the same way as far as length and width go.