Historical documents...

I didn't see a thread on this, and it's likely nothing new to anyone here, but still... I've been making a pile of fake historical documents (not forgeries, just... facsimiles), and thought I might share it here.

I've particularly been leaning towards letters of marque and other nautical items. Once you find the text you're looking for (easy to do with a Google search) just print it with a regular printer. I've found that some of the better-looking fonts (if they happen to be available on your word processor) are Blackadder ITC, French Script MT, Bradley Hand ITC, and Vivaldi.

For some added exotic-ness, run the text through an online translator (also easily found with a Google). The translations are usually pretty bad as far as language goes, but it looks nice.

Soak the printed document in some coffee and water (about half-n-half, the way I brew coffee) for fifteen to twenty minutes, then let it dry.

For a seal (especially to make those letters of marque more official) burn one of your colored candles for a bit, pour some of the wax onto the document - after it's dried out completely - and press a button with some sort of embossing onto it. They won't pass any real scrutiny, but make a nice prop...

sig2.jpg

These guys have the best product on the market. I have Morgans letter of Marque on my wall. Their paper is amazing. I have done everything possible to duplicate it over the years but today's paper is treated with chemicals and preservatives in many cases, so you have to reall make your own paper from scratch (a blender comes in real handy).

Check out their tutorial on how they make Olde Paper on their site and you may get a hint of to. Or perhaps you can sway them to sell just the paper...

http://www.piratedocuments.com

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

The quality is amazing, canwilliam. Looks like it came right from the times, right down to the wax red seal...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Hurricane, is their site still up and running?

I sent them an order today; didn't receive the confirmation the order form mentioned. Then when I wrote to them -

CaptConch@piratedocuments.com

it bounced. (?) :lol:

Do you have a phone number for them?

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Send the email to: CaptainConch@piratedocuments.com

This one works as we just corresponded yesterday about his fine work... and a slight typo on the site concerning Sir Henry...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

If you're copying printed documents and can't find graphic copies of the original to print then the font Caslon Antique (available HERE) is basically a copy of 17th century print.

For paper I tend to start off with cartridge paper, which is basically the same as some period paper, particularly once it's been folded a few times and the edges have got a bit dogged. I never stain my documents because I don't want them to look "old". They might look old now, but in 1700 (or whenever) they'd have been freshly printed. Gently going over them with some vegetable oil on a wad of tissue paper will impregnate them with oil, ideal for maritime documents and charts.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

As for the looking old part, I actually agree with you - at the time they were new, of course they wouldn't look old. But for them what don't actually think that far through, if it doesn't look old, it doesn't look right to 'em. So, as props, I like 'em aged if it's being seen by the uninitiated.

It's sad when you have to be wrong to look right, but that's the case in too many aspects of life...

sig2.jpg