Seeking Help Building Chests

I want to build two wooden chests that at least wouldn't stand out in the GAOP. My youngest daughter will start working with hand tools at preschool next week (they had them practicing before the holiday break), and I thought it would be a fun project for the girls and me.

Anyhow, one of them I want to contain and disguise an igloo cooler. The other I would like for storing and transporting some of my period-styled clothing. I am EXTREMELY limited on funds here, so although I'd like a nice period look, I can't spend a lot of money on hardware. I am, however, willing to spend time and effort.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I built a chest not to long ago, and it was pretty easy. I built mine out of 1x12's from Home Depot, 2 gate hinges, and 2 hasps. It was a rectangle shape, more like than the real thing than the hump back in the cartoons. Cost was about $50 all together. You could make yours out of a reconfigured box, reattach the lid with some glued on fabric strips, hot glue some buttons to simulate rivets, and finish it with a cool paint job. Just don't forget to fill it with lot's of booty.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

some mighty fancy chests those be laddy-buck!!! but perhaps a bit too much for a lass on a tight budget but many o' the ideas could be adapted t' less costly building techniques :) bonnie m' lass how soon do ye wants t' begin this project ....i'll see about adapting some plan drawings that would be a might easier for you and the little darlin' to make but still durable and serviceable fer many a sea-mile!!!

some mighty fancy chests those be laddy-buck!!! but perhaps a bit too much for a lass on a tight budget but many o' the ideas could be adapted t' less costly building techniques :) bonnie m' lass how soon do ye wants t' begin this project ....i'll see about adapting some plan drawings that would be a might easier for you and the little darlin' to make but still durable and serviceable fer many a sea-mile!!!

That would be wonderful! I'm not in a huge rush, but would like to get these completed before warm weather comes.