The Musketeer...

Lady Seahawke

All, Just bought the DVD "The Musketeer" staring Cathrine Deneyve, Justin Chambers, Tim Roth and Mena Suvari.

The movie has some absolutely fabulous sword fight sequences. OK, not exactly pirate but, the fight sequence with the ladders and barrels are TERRIFIC.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Personally, I like the fight scene at the begining of The Count of Monte Cristo (2002 version). It seems rather historically accurate as to the way cutlasses would be used by semi-trained sailors. The Musketeer is just a bit too Hollywood for me, but that's just my preference.

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

no, no "Matrix" moves...actually it looks as if the one scene from PotC may have been inspired by "The Musketeer".

the one where Jack and Will duel in the Blacksmith shop and hop...balance on the ladder while fighting. In "Musketeer" the fighting is done with whatever is handy and under various circumstances.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

I saw it as medieval Matrix. Too much jumping around, balancing and such. Combine Matrix and a Jet Lee, put it in the 1600's and you've got Musketeer. But what the hell, swashbuckling films would have done the same if they had the technology in the 30's and 40's.

Coastie :P

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Well everyone sees what they want to see. As I said me...I thougth of PotCs sequences with the sword fight between Jack and Will, Jack's escape from the Royalies...etc. Same type of stuff...so if one is Matrixie so is the other. But, either way it was nice work.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

I wasn't impressed. If the wire work is needed to perk up a fight scene, then it tells me that the actors and the choreographer are second rate. Go back and watch the scenes that Bill Hobbs choreographed. Scenes from the 70's 3 and 4 Musketeers, or the sword scenes from Rob Roy. THOSE are classic fight scenes and no wire work or special effects are needed.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

... Go back and watch the scenes that Bill Hobbs choreographed. Scenes from the 70's 3 and 4 Musketeers, or the sword scenes from Rob Roy. THOSE are classic fight scenes and no wire work or special effects are needed.

<Start rant>

I have to agree. You could see the rapiers (using that term loosly here) flexing they were so light. They needed to be to fight that fast, in that way. Also very stage combat with the hitting of swords only, not actually tring to hit each other.

On an acting note, it looked like Tim Roth phoned that role in. He wasn't into it.

<End rant>

sorry to be anti the movie. It felt like the movie was trying to one up the classic Musketeer story. The only thing I liked was how it was filmed. The cinematography was rather nice.

Now nothing comes close to the fight scenes in the 70's 3 and 4 Musketeers. Different styles with all manner of weapon combos. They pretty much covered off all the weapons (Rapier, dagger, cloak, off hand, case, chair) and none of that close-in filming to cover lack of skill.

As one of the newbies in my fencing group said one night at a manditory screening of the movies said "Does Pothos ever fight with a sword?" :lol: Just like the books.

Oliver Reed's swordsmanship was always first rate. Just like it would have been.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

William, are you refering to the 4th Musketeer where Maureen O'Hara plays the daughter of one of the original musketeers called up to service? I loved that movie! I am a huge fan of the older 40's, 50's, etc. movies. I must admit that I love seeing Earl Flynn as a pirate...I know he can be corny and even cheesy...but there is just something about men acting like men. sigh

I know, I'm acting like a girl now. :lol::lol:

Scarlet McBayne

" Touch not the Cat without a Sheild " McBayne motto

"red is the Rose in yander garden grows

Fair is the Lily of the Valley"

The 3&4 Musketeer movies I'm refering too are the one that were filmed together, then split for release (only Chuck Heston got paid for both). Probably the movies that were the closest to the book I've seen so far.

The Return of the Musketeers was from the 2nd book (20years after) where to try to save Charles from the headsmen.

You can act like a girl any time m'lady. Not enought men acting like men and ladies acting like ladies these days (I don't mean the sexist way)

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

well if'n the thought that wires be needed for lack of skill then I guess POTC wasn't that great either.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

then again, what be manly and what be lady like ....is a manner of opinion...

females that were pirates, liked pirates, loved pirates were never considered lady like....

as for manly well, again the definition is a guy being pigeon holed into someone else's definition...etc. shrug...whatever.

Me, I will be ...what I want, when I want, and how I want and hang anyone else's definition.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

• 2 weeks later...

Ah... The Musketeer.

(Gag!)

Do not use Rapiers in the style of Chines Broadswords!

And too many ladders and spider-man-esque running up walls!

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

In the non-pirate swashbuckling vein I would also highly recommend "The Duellists", about an ongoing duel between two Napoleonic soldiers over the course of something like 20 years. Early Ridley Scott film.

Tho' I would have to echo the previous posts in this topic that cite the 70's era Musketeers films. These films, quite simply, own when it comes to fight scenes.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. -- Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

Good film, the Musketeer. Justin Chambers in quite a different way of acting. There a more nice films with swashbuckling scenes, like Three Musketeers (with Oliver Platt), A Man in the Iron Mask (with Gabriel Byrne), Veronique, Count of Monte Christo and more......

My DVD-colllection is huge, especially period pieces......

That's my real treasure....... :rolleyes:

piratescavebanner.jpg

In the non-pirate swashbuckling vein I would also highly recommend "The Duellists", about an ongoing duel between two Napoleonic soldiers over the course of something like 20 years. Early Ridley Scott film.

I second the reccomendation of "The Duellists". Kieth Carradine and Harvey Keitel, Ridley Scott.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I wasn't impressed. If the wire work is needed to perk up a fight scene, then it tells me that the actors and the choreographer are second rate. Go back and watch the scenes that Bill Hobbs choreographed. Scenes from the 70's 3 and 4 Musketeers, or the sword scenes from Rob Roy. THOSE are classic fight scenes and no wire work or special effects are needed.

Hawkyns

Exactly my thoughts as well, Hawkyns, and I'm a big Tim Roth fan. The movie couldn't even keep me awake. If I want wires and such I'll watch Crouching Tiger, etc.

Hey; they could do a version of Rob Roy that way: Crouching Tartan/ Hidden Dragoons.

No? Ah well, its still early and the rum be flowin.......

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Hey; they could do a version of Rob Roy that way: Crouching Tartan/ Hidden Dragoons.

Nae, lad. Put a man in kilts up on a wire an' 'is "dragoons" wouldna' stay hidden...different sorta movie...different weapons...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...