IDEAS for Sticky Topics

I would hate to clutter up the fine forum we have here, but there are certain topics that keep poping up. Might it be possible to creat a sticky post for each of the following?

Hats

Swords

Firearms

Clothing

So that instead of creating new thread (and rehashing the same topic) that newbies and crusty oldies could find it all in one thread

Just an idea

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

That sounds like a fine idea! I would suggest people include small reviews or maybe we could include an impromptu rating system. 1-5 jolly rogers, etc. That would certainly help newbs like meself! :unsure:

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

That sounds like a fine idea! I would suggest people include small reviews or maybe we could include an impromptu rating system. 1-5 jolly rogers, etc. That would certainly help newbs like meself! :D

Too arbitrary, and biased. One man's favorite source is another man's wasteland of cliche pirate garbage. :o

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Ah, but what you could do is use the moderator combine function to combine all the outstanding sword posts into one master sword post, all the various hat posts into a master hat post, etc. Then sticky the master posts at the top.

If someone comes along and posts another topic on hats or whatever...combine it to the master sticky post. That way, those posts will still be active and will at least appear on the master page for the forum when they are the last active post. People will then click in from the main page and read it without even realizing it's a sticky post.

I think that would be cool so long as you don't have more than four or five sticky posts at the top. (Too many sticky posts are annoying IMHO.)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

sigh.....as I've already learned, a lot of people don't read the above topics over the regular posts.

So personally I think you are wasting your time. ;)

True. I have only these past few weeks gotten into the habit of doing it.

My Home on the Web

Ah, but what you could do is use the moderator combine function to combine all the outstanding sword posts into one master sword post, all the various hat posts into a master hat post, etc. Then sticky the master posts at the top.

If someone comes along and posts another topic on hats or whatever...combine it to the master sticky post. That way, those posts will still be active and will at least appear on the master page for the forum when they are the last active post. People will then click in from the main page and read it without even realizing it's a sticky post.

I think that would be cool so long as you don't have more than four or five sticky posts at the top. (Too many sticky posts are annoying IMHO.)

Good thinking - I hope it comes to fruition.

:)

That be a lot of work fer our dear, underpaid Moderators...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Thats a good idea too Caraccioli.

Maybe its time to add more moderators again? Or at the very least, give moderators multi area cabability (so that Black John could move topics between twill, plunder, beyond piracy etc.

Just some ideas.

PS

This really only apples to Plunder and Twill where the SAME topics come up over and over and over.

"Hey where can I find an authentic sword for cheap?" egad!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

The ones that get me are the hat threads... :lol:

I could do as Mark suggest. I suspect it is not too difficult. Hat, sword and coat seem to be the big three. Then shoes (or egad! boots). The sticky part of the wicket in this here neck of the woods is authenticity. If I'm going to be stickin' stuff, I'd rather be stickin' the good stuff. I guess if I'm clumping 'em all together, I don't need to be worrying about separating the wheat from the chaff though, do I.

My Home on the Web

I didn't when I combined the threads about different people's lines of work in Beyond Pyracy. Right or wrong, it's part of the history of the board and its users, really. I'd just paste 'em together. The board has the really cool ability to sort them by date and allows you to name the thread.

I'd help you if I could, but I'm restricted to Beyond Pyracy.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Hats, swords, and boots seem to be the big three.

Perhaps just sticky the topics and let people put up their own links. As someone else said, one man's treasure is another's trash. It wouldn't hurt to put a "buyer beware" warning as well.

For strict authenticity I would direct people to the Captain Twill section of the board.

If you need help, Blackjohn, let me know. ;)

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.