Period Drinking Vessels?

Mick, both of those mugs would work, as they are 18th C repros..... Jas Townsend does very goode as they maonly sell to reenactors...

These might be more in the 1750s timeline, but I can't see them being much different than 30 yrs earlier... a warning tho.... Hot beverages and metal mugs don't mix well... they heat up real fast... folks have burned their lips, etc. trying to drink their mornin' coffee out o' these and suffered for it...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Mick, both of those mugs would work, as they are 18th C repros..... Jas Townsend does very goode as they maonly sell to reenactors...

These might be more in the 1750s timeline, but I can't see them being much different than 30 yrs earlier...

Thanks Dorian. Hmmm... that's what I was a little worried about, i.e. that they may be a little later than GAoP. Does anyone know a pewter or other mettalic mug/tankard that's GAoP for sure? TIA.

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

There were leather "blackjacks" as well... :wub:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

I Like my Drinking Horne i Got from The Horn Shoppe.

It Keeps my Cold Drinks cold and my hot drinks hot without burning your lips. I also tied some knotwork around where i grip it as not to burn or chill my hands off. and you can hang it anywhere or just stick it in the ground.

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

I dont see why not, I mean it seems logical esspecially for the lower classes since it is premade, sturdy, and wouldnt require a lot manhours so the price would be inexpensive. And i think they had cattle in the GAoP :lol:

Hmmm... that's what I was a little worried about, i.e. that they may be a little later than GAoP. Does anyone know a pewter or other mettalic mug/tankard that's GAoP for sure? TIA.

I believe Dorian is correct. My research tells me those (or at least the first style) is actually termed a cann. And they seem to date from mid-1700s.

Ooops! Gotta run! Gonna go catch a movie! If I find out anything more I'll post it.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I dont see why not,  I mean it seems logical esspecially for the lower classes since it is premade, sturdy, and wouldnt require a lot manhours so the price would be inexpensive.  And i think they had cattle in the GAoP  :lol:

I've seen horn cups. I've just never seen a horn cup that was still shaped like a horn, in the era. But I haven't seen everything, that's for sure! :D

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'll Look into it. If I'm wrong, hey it aint the first time, an it wont hurt my feelings. I have both a tankard and a horn. I just prefered the horn due to the thermal advantages i stated and ease of carrying.

I got a difficulty believing in post Viking-era drinking horns. Horn cups with flat bottoms I've certainly come across, but with the point still on? I dunno, it's not like they couldn't afford/didn't have anything more sensible.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Horn cups with flat bottoms I've certainly come across, but with the point still on?

You may be absolutely right, Foxe. Please understand, I am not trying to rewrite History, or prove the existance of somthing that never was, Merely trying to open up the options a bit. And NO disrespect is meant to anyone as I Value your opinions

I don't mind people not agreeing with me :lol: . I offer my opinions and research freely, ignore them or accept them as you will.

There were some really nice horn beakers in that link Deadeye, but you notice they all had flat bottoms.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I Did notice, Foxe. And have since been trying to figure out how to adjust mine, accordingly. It makes me a bit sad, since right now, it holds a 20oz pepsi perfectly, coming to just within a half inch of the lip.. :lol:

*Lamenting* if ONLY i still had my anvil and forge.....

What peaked my interest were the Horn Bottles. I didnt know that cow horn could be manipulated in that way.

By the By.. my Wife throws pottery and i was considering having her make me a rum bottle, would clay bottles be correct?

Boiled horn becomes quite supple so it can be used to make all sorts of things.

If you wanted something very authentic and very maritimey to keep your rum in, how about having your wife make you a ceramic case bottle? Case bottles were most frequently made of glass, but I have seen ceramic examples, including some blue and white painted chinese porcelain ones from the early 18thC. Case bottles come in various sizes, but the important thing is that they're square (so they fit nicely in a case), and most commonly they have similar proportions to a wine bottle, but with a much shorter neck.

640.jpg

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Good to know, Foxe. I guess Now i have to give in and actually let her start throwing again... it makes such a mess :(

So do you think that if I Boiled the Bottom of my horn, it would become pliable enough to attach some prefab round plate to?

Some more drinking (and other interesting items) containers

http://goosebay-workshops.com/LANTERNS-SCO...CES-CHANDELIERS

How about good (but inexpensive) onion bottles. I can only seem to find them for over $30?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!