St. Mary's City Grand Muster

Hawkyns

For those of you in the mid-Atlantic region, the grand muster is coming up. Great living history for those of you interested in the 17th century.

Pretty hard core authentic, and the added attraction of the Dove, moored at the site.

The Militia is Coming!

Before the states were united and before the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines were organized, Maryland’s colonists had to fend for themselves. Lord Baltimore instructed able-bodied male colonists to be armed and prepared to defend the colony against pirates, Virginians, and others intent on plundering. The colonists would periodically travel from far-flung plantations to practice their soldiers’ skills together. Perhaps their families, anxious for an opportunity to visit or trade, would accompany them to these gatherings.

The sights, smells, and sounds of a 17th-century encampment will surround visitors to the Grand Militia Muster at Historic St. Mary’s City on Saturday, October 15. Modern day members of the all-volunteer St. Maries Citty Militia will host 17th-century re-enactors from across the region for a day long festival of competitions, drills, and socializing.

Militia Muster activities will take place from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. and are included with admission to the museum. Fees are $7.50 for adults, $6.00 for students and seniors, $3.50 for children ages 6-12, and free for those less than five years old.

Historic St. Mary's City is a museum of living history and archaeology on the site of Maryland’s colonial capital. Costumed interpreters and recreated 17th-century structures bring visitors face to face with the past. For more information about this event or the museum, call 1-800-SMC-1634 or 240-895-4990 or visit our website at www.stmaryscity.org.

Hawkyns

:o

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I've wanted to do this event for a long time. However, #2 son's birthday is that day, so it won't be this year. I believe a couple of my friends may be there as participants. Unless they are off doing the Battle of Hastings re-enactment at Marietta Mansion. That's September and October... notorious for too many conflicting events.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I've been talking about bringing the girls down to St. Mary's all year. They're all kitted out for it and everything. But now that it's here, we're moving house and five million other things are going on. We'll miss seeing you, Rod. Hopefully we'll make it next year. Give our love to everyone! :(

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

So send the girls down anyway. Blackwell's will umm.. take care of them :lol:

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I'll be there. I command 3 Company, Sir Thomas Blackwell's Reg't of Foote, a good comapny of Royalist Musketeers.

Sutlers at this event are few, but good. Practical Goose, Buzzard's Nest, Tuckahoe Trading Co. are usually there, but I don't know the list for this year. I'm told that Sykes will not be there, but I can always hope that Raffaella will change her mind.

Hawkyns

B)

rod_21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bump to remind all you mid-Atlantic types of where to be next weekend.

Hawkyns

:blink:

rod_21.jpg