Interacting with the Public

blackjohn

Very interesting query, indeed.

My husband and I are always very open and aproachable to and by the public. We are asked frequently about adornments and weaponry, and do our best to educate the finer points and add other facts that may not be as well known. Sometimes the questions are simple, others rather complex and we are always more than happy to pour into the willing ear, to share knowledge and views to this passion that has enthralled us both, for years. I have had the pleasure of meeting many folk from many walks and education levels via events, as I am sure we all have. I feel honoured at the pose of each question and the chance to enrich someone else to the differences of mythos and fact.

It is a grand tradition that we keep alive, may it live on and flourish through future generations by the seeds we all plant today.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

I would give Demonstrations at the faires i worked, whether they be on Forge Work, Sand casting, armor making..etc. I also liked to demonstrate a bit of knotwork, just teaching them simple things like figure-eights, clove hitches, crown sennets, things like that... the parents loved when i put the kids in the Handcuff Knot! B)

I Loved answering questions about attire and accoutrements(however thats spelled) like my Bosuns pipe and Marline Spike. And playin around with the Kiddos is always fun.

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

I'm a singer in my guild so basically i sing songs of the sea and go around buyng people for my guild thriving slave trade.

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

I start a great deal of intereaction with people by trying to buy their kids.

I'll say " 'Ear now! How much you be asking fer that little one there? Make a fine powder Monkey he would!" Or I tell them I can always use them for ballast (chuckle) Most parents offer them to me for free!!

I had one little boy going this weekend... he was dressed to the 9's in a captain Hook Disney costume. When he and his folks walked by I bellowed "You there!! Bring me that brat in the hat!" I offered to buy him, his father tried to give him away, his mother laughed and the poor kid hid behind her every time he saw me the rest oif the day. :huh:

(chuckle)

I love my work! :huh:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Aye.. me.. Well me dont do many pirate like things to people .. they be more of stupid things.. har har :huh: ...

What me do is Go up to random people and say "i love you", scream at them, try and hold they hands,hug them, shake der hands, and last but not least Talk Pirate jebrish (spelling) har har :huh: ...Me a funny fellow.. Aye..

I have gotten pretty lame over the years. Maybe Jaded, maybe just crotchety.

I seem to be doing less and less and spend most of my energy trying to put a correct kit together and find kindred spirits to discuss the minutia with.

A lot of it has been brought about by my location (Germany) and to take part in an event, I got to hop on a plane to do it.

That being said, if I am paid to talk to the public (like at a school or event) I will do it and don't mind at all.

Which is so Ironic that pirate is mainly dog-and-pony-show events.

Hopefully, its all a funk that I am in and can get out of it....

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

My big thing at events for the last few years has been navigation, so I've made myself a really sturdy set of instruments that I get the kids to use. By showing the kids how things work, and explaining it in more detail as we go along to the adults I find it works really well keeping everyone interested. I really encourage people to use the instruments too, to realy find out how they work. For example, if I have a group of four kids or more I show them how to use a log reel, and we use it to see how fast they can run. One kid takes the reel, one kid runs with the log, one does the timer and the other counts the knots.

This year I found a fantastic new way of getting people interested. My sea-chest is filled with authentic artefacts that might be owned by a seaman, so I simply open it up and answer questions on the stuff inside. I regularly get people (kids and adults) spending around 40 minutes, even an hour a couple of times, going through my sea-chest. That's why I find it hard to believe that the public aren't interested beyond "Arrggh, this be my cutlass" - once you engage people they really are far more interested in real life than Hollywood IMHE.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Most our work is entirely improvisation. We engage members of the public and then bring piracy to life. For some in the crowd, they enjoy the Hollywood version. Others want to know about what being a pirate was really like. The kids love to hold the swords. It's fun to hand them one and watch it drop to the ground. They're used to toy ones. Always good for some fun. It's funny how know one ever questions us walking a regular city street armed with pistols and swords. I've seen people in civvies shot for less.

We work all sorts of events, most of our own making. It may be a bar, a street festival, a city event or just roaming the streets of St. Augustine, posing for photos. No two days are the same. We also have a band that performs. Some sea chanteys but we found that a 1/2 hour of that and people's eyes start rolling up into their heads, so we do a wide variety of music.

Since no two engagements are the same, it's tough to be really specific. We let the members of the public determine what kind of experience they're going to have at that particular moment.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I seem to be doing less and less and spend most of my energy trying to put a correct kit together and find kindred spirits to discuss the minutia with.

You know, Greg, a few years ago, I craved sitting around and discussing minutia with kindred spirits. But I have to admit that there aren't a lot of kindred spirts out there and most people don't want to discuss what's right; they want to complain about what's wrong. And after a season of sitting around with those negative chumps, I gave up.

At the MD Ren Fest last weekend, I really found what I'd be missing. Yes, people come to see (and be) the fantasy pirates. But as I walked are the Faire and tried to offer my young apprentices for sale or rent to passing men in the crowd, I realized something. You can teach anywhere. Some of it was just good natured goofing around. But I found myself lecturing a couple guys on the reality of prostitution in late 17th century London and the general acceptance of a lady of questionable virtue in society in that time period. We talked about the coffee houses of Covent Garden, the famous mistresses of the aristocracy and all kinds of stuff. And it was fun for me.

I've found that as much as I love hanging out with my fellow reenactors, what I really crave now is chatting with the public. And that can mean portraying a persona in the first person or just answering questions as the modern me. It's all fun.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I love flirting with the ladies. I won't write the material I use, because it really looses all meaning when it's in print. It's more about tone and physicality than words... but no worries mates... it's strictly PG-13 material.

I also love to warn little kids about the dastardly pirates that are rumord to be running about.... and then I tell them to watch out for this one pirate in particular who is the most dangerous, then I describe myself to them.

With adults I aim for people wearing shirts with words on them... I caught this guy wearing a shirt that said "champion stud" on it and had his girlfriend rolling as I made him explain to me the rules of the "stud contest" he had won to earn his shirt.

We also run a pillory at most of the shows we do, and "advertise" baby-sitting services, free ear piercings, marriage counciling (we don't do the counciling, but we give you a very good reason for it) financial advice (your stocks are rising, etc) and "free tickets for the safest ride in the faire... no deaths since late last night"

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

Very good point Kass! We use the entertainment opportunity to engage someone first, then we often boil down into real details about a pirate's life. It's easy to switch between the two once you get used to it.

I forgot that we also do 24 hour pirate marriages, complete with certificate, ring, rice, ceremony and alimony check. Real popular in the bars...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Very good point Kass! We use the entertainment opportunity to engage someone first, then we often boil down into real details about a pirate's life. It's easy to switch between the two once you get used to it.

I forgot that we also do 24 hour pirate marriages, complete with certificate, ring, rice, ceremony and alimony check. Real popular in the bars...

-- Hurricane

A 24 hour Pirate Marriage - I want one! (Do I get to pick the pirate I get to marry?) :P

That could be arranged. I have the print materials that can be sent via email. Just have to pdf them. And you can choose whomever you wish. It's like test driving a car - take one out for a spin and see if ya like it. If not the divorce form is on the back side of the marriage certificate. Handy, huh?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

When I'm feeling up to it (it hard to entertain when your body is hurting like hell), I'll stand by my treasure chest and tell people who are wearing really cool jewlery and such that they would be welcome to donate that item to the treasure chest, guaranteed never to get it back. :P

Lets see our crew has done a library visit in Hampdon, which was a trip because it was also the day of the Hampdon festival. That day was a lot of fun we even walked around the Hampdon festival to drum up business for the library. You know talk like a pirate day. Just to see the little ones faces was enough for me. Some were excited, some were not sure of what to do, and some even smiled. Now me sis kept yelling talk like a pirate day at the library. She can be very loud :P Aye lots of people thought we had too much to drink or visa versa. WHo cares we're pirates I say. It was a lot of fun. Some folks did take pictures.

When the Annapolis Maritme festival was around we did go to that and walk around. Just loved the comments when we walk through town. Listened to the pyrates royal perform and then walked around some more looking to plunder.

Mostly we have been to the PARF and the MDRF. Great fun and will be going them again next year. We are looking to do more pirate events ifen they come up. We shall see sorry I would love to reenacting but costs too much and I love talking to the public to much so I guess that is out.

Sealegs Constance

I am what I am

Most o ye knows me addiction to the front gates at every renfaire and pirate festival save one out here. And me real job be peace tying all weapons, me lines include many ye all use and mayhaps need ta save.

To women:

Aye lass ifin ye come in without an escourt ye might not get out alive!

(If thier ankles are showin) Aye see ye be lookin fer a man showin yer wears liken ye does!

Ye have come here ta share yer smile with us taday. God bless ye! And may he keep ye safe from marauding pirates on the prowl.

(If she's dressed in garb and he's not) So! Ye bring this skank of a mondane in here ta have him replaced eh? Well lookin at the likes a him I see that won't be hard!

(if she's with more than one man) Well I can tell ye right now that I hope ye won't be plannin on walkin outa here seein as how ye plan on taking these men on all alone!

(To a woman with children in tow) Well I can tell ye right now ye got yer hands full as you like. or best be puttin a leash on them girls a yers. Fer pirates likes em young they does! or How much fer the oldest? I be lookin fer a good cabin boy, but can the boy sweat?

Ta men and women:

I ask if they are a couple then upon answer I add are yer married if not I say Aye then ye be livin in sin! and the likes a this crowd a pirates will be certain ta makes ye fit right in just liken to the family ye never had, welcome

or if they say they are married then I ask the woman how much were she drinking when she decided to marry the likes o this skank of a man.

Ta men and women with a whole family in tow:

I ask the women ifin they be her children and then walks up to the man and put me arm around him shakin me head to the negatives and mention that he's lucky shes so good looking OR I say then its certain ye not be the real father (OR I'll say to the man) Are they yers as well? And if he says yes then I say how is it that they are so good looking and you are sooo ugly? Then I'll add yer wife has some good genes aye!

To men:

I ask them why they be comin in ta the faire? answers range from fer the women, to for the turkey legs or where's the ale stand. I plays off each of em.

to the children (and this is why we all faire, "for the children"). I give the pirate dressed children gold dabloons and silver pieces I tells them that they might need ta bribe their way loose in case they get separated from thier parents. To other costumed children I give them all dragon tears (irridescent half marbles) I tells em Its a magical stone "the queens own jewels" and ifin ye hold it in yer hand and ye make a fist whens ye brings it to yer heart ye can make a wish and yer wish'll come true! (then I ad) but don't be waisting yer wish on somethin like ice cream I'm sure yer parents got that covered.

Of course now you've planted ice cream in thier heads and that's all their going to talk about till they get to the ice cream vendor. (note: use a food vendors bill of fairefer kids that is at yer faire just in case ye doesn't have ice cream there) To the un costumed children I give them small dragon tears black ones I call black pearls and clear ones I call diamonds. I tells em to hold them in thier hand ifin they should see a dragon, adding that they will protect them.

I have said many more things to any one of a thousand different situations and the need to be quick and with certain care in yer manner where a conflict of the patrons need to be recognized as an individual of stature and class is not diminished by yer words. I've even said some really stupid things that have come back te haunt me. Keep it simple and make them all feel welcome into the magical world of difference. Ifin it weren't fer the likes o them we wouldn't even have a place to play!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Ifin it weren't fer the likes o them we wouldn't even have a place to play!

well said there mate.

What i found that is quite ta bein some fun is ye get a program o' the fair ye be at, that is if there be a map o' the land inside o' it, and use the map to make it into the treasure map. Ye need at least one other person with ye ta ask the important questions as ye be lookin at yer map.

question one, wheres the x on the map?

answer, theres no x on the map then anyone could find it, its on the ground.

question two, where did ye put the x at?

answer, I remeber i put it in the shade last night after i got out o' the pub

so with em two questions ye can go around yellin at each other while ye ask ifn anyone seen a big x on the ground.

Most o ye knows me addiction to the front gates at every renfaire and pirate festival save one out here. And me real job be peace tying all weapons, me lines include many ye all use and mayhaps need ta save.

To women:

Aye lass ifin ye come in without an escourt ye might not get out alive!

(If thier ankles are showin) Aye see ye be lookin fer a man showin yer wears liken ye does!

Ye have come here ta share yer smile with us taday. God bless ye! And may he keep ye safe from marauding pirates on the prowl.

(If she's dressed in garb and he's not) So! Ye bring this skank of a mondane in here ta have him replaced eh? Well lookin at the likes a him I see that won't be hard!

(if she's with more than one man) Well I can tell ye right now that I hope ye won't be plannin on walkin outa here seein as how ye plan on taking these men on all alone!

(To a woman with children in tow) Well I can tell ye right now ye got yer hands full as you like. or best be puttin a leash on them girls a yers. Fer pirates likes em young they does! or How much fer the oldest? I be lookin fer a good cabin boy, but can the boy sweat?

Ta men and women:

I ask if they are a couple then upon answer I add are yer married if not I say Aye then ye be livin in sin! and the likes a this crowd a pirates will be certain ta makes ye fit right in just liken to the family ye never had, welcome

or if they say they are married then I ask the woman how much were she drinking when she decided to marry the likes o this skank of a man.

Ta men and women with a whole family in tow:

I ask the women ifin they be her children and then walks up to the man and put me arm around him shakin me head to the negatives and mention that he's lucky shes so good looking OR I say then its certain ye not be the real father (OR I'll say to the man) Are they yers as well? And if he says yes then I say how is it that they are so good looking and you are sooo ugly? Then I'll add yer wife has some good genes aye!

To men:

I ask them why they be comin in ta the faire? answers range from fer the women, to for the turkey legs or where's the ale stand. I plays off each of em.

to the children (and this is why we all faire, "for the children"). I give the pirate dressed children gold dabloons and silver pieces I tells them that they might need ta bribe their way loose in case they get separated from thier parents. To other costumed children I give them all dragon tears (irridescent half marbles) I tells em Its a magical stone "the queens own jewels" and ifin ye hold it in yer hand and ye make a fist whens ye brings it to yer heart ye can make a wish and yer wish'll come true! (then I ad) but don't be waisting yer wish on somethin like ice cream I'm sure yer parents got that covered.

Of course now you've planted ice cream in thier heads and that's all their going to talk about till they get to the ice cream vendor. (note: use a food vendors bill of fairefer kids that is at yer faire just in case ye doesn't have ice cream there) To the un costumed children I give them small dragon tears black ones I call black pearls and clear ones I call diamonds. I tells em to hold them in thier hand ifin they should see a dragon, adding that they will protect them.

I have said many more things to any one of a thousand different situations and the need to be quick and with certain care in yer manner where a conflict of the patrons need to be recognized as an individual of stature and class is not diminished by yer words. I've even said some really stupid things that have come back te haunt me. Keep it simple and make them all feel welcome into the magical world of difference. Ifin it weren't fer the likes o them we wouldn't even have a place to play!

or just scaren the living daylights out of me friend at escondido last october when you practically lifted me off the ground with a hug. lol she just kind of stood wide eyed then didnt say anything for a long time.

But why is the rum gone?

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

tis so true lol... i worked security at long beach (where i met diego) he taught me well how to harass a crowd.

But why is the rum gone?