Need Flint for me 'lock

I got some from dixie... didn't work worth a damn. Especially the saw-cut flints. (I have a theory about that)

The ones I have now came from Track of the Wolf... English flints. so far I haven't changed the first one I got from Track of the Wolf, and I've sparked it a good 200 times.

Now... my theory:

Flint has a natural way of fracturing when you knap it. When you saw cut flint, you're not using the natural fracture lines in the flint, and the edge chips away faster. When a flint has a knapped edge, it seems to last longer. My theory is that even though the edge will not be perfect, or at a perfect angle, it will be much stronger, since it uses the flint's naturally formed fracture lines. When a saw cut flint strikes the frizzen, it "shocks" the flint, causing it to fracture along it's natural fracture lines, usually ending up with a chipped edge that throws little if any spark. Knapped flints are inherintly stonger because they've already been through the "shock" of impact from the knapping process.

Just my theory, based on observation from the two kinds of flint I've used so far. Like any opinion, maybe it's not really the truth, but like I said... it's me theory.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

What type of flints would be appropriate for Loyalist Arms' English doglock pistol? That be the weapon of my choice. Does it need the English style flints? Is Loyalist Arms a reliable vendor? :D

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

I haven't dealt with Loyalist personally, but have heard good things about the quality of their work.

Find out what size the lock is, and if Loyalist sells flints, try some from them. But I highly recommend English flints from Track of the Wolf. If I were to hazard a guess, I would think 5/8 to 1/2 inch flints, but I'd email Loyalist and make sure.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a 20 lot from Ebay., English Flints., cheap an spark everytime.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"