Learn to use yer sabre & cutlas!

demivolte

The Los Angeles based Classical Blade Society offers foil, epee and sabre fencing and training in the classical European style. An interest from many reenactors has led to private lessons in historic sabre, spadroon, cutlass and other weapons, (Not sport fencing). Classes are held in the upstairs dance hall of the historic Glendale Centre Theatre. For more information visit:

http://classicalbladesociety.com/

This is interesting.

I have heard that there was no formal training of weapons for seamen during the GAoP for Navy sailors or pirates.

I can't imagine that some sod in Plymouth that got press ganged into the navy or some merchantmen turned pirate had much training with weapons.

Does anyone (HEY FOXE!!!) know when weapons training became part of the seamen's art?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Thanks Black John...

Then I wonder what the "schools" that teach classical cutlass training do? I imagine that they try to apply a classical style to an early 18th century hanger/cutlass?

Now smallsword techinique makes sense but for the regular joe seamen, I don't think he was trained.

Maybe I should open a school for GAoP "cutlass" training.... :blink:

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I don't think this is exactly along the same lines.... but I will post anyway.....

I use to be a SCA Heavy weapons fighter..... and Meredieas was (back then) thinking of going to or allow fencing.... OK foils can "hurt" but why go to schlaggers.... you need more armour (OK I know this only makes sence to people who know what I'm typing.....) I just think ... playing with foils alows you to do your stuff... (well fight) with out so much armor or ...... ok pain...

I'm thinking of getting some fencing mask offa E-Bay (more foils be easy to get....) and just "playing" at "Swashbuckling"....... lighter armour, so you don't get hurt (well maybe some "welts")

I don't have to "smash" my opponet.... (and it they happen to be female where is the fun in that...) but just to play.... sword fight for fun.......

(dang... and once again..... the idea is cool, just didn't type out the way I wanted it to.... rats...)

Few manuals were ever specifically dedicated to the use of the sidearm in the navies of the United Kingdom and the United States. Only within the last third of the 19th century–at a time when naval engagements no longer were decided by boarding and hand-to-hand combat but by long-distance artillery–do we find printed manuals issued to provide uniformity to naval sword practice.

Which does not mean that sword practice was neglected aboard warships in the preceding decades. But the systems varied with the times–and closely reflected the favored edged-weapons systems as applied by the landlubbers of the period.

This close relationship between naval sword systems and those practiced on terra firma is not coincidental. Edward Anthony Angelo, grandson of the venerable Domenico Malevolti Angelo, son of Henry "Harry" Angelo, and brother of the influential Henry Angelo Jr., mentions that his late sibling's Naval Cutlass Exercise was based on the one for the Highland Broadsword:

During the blockade of the Scheld and Dutch ports, in the summer of 1812, my brother was on a visit to his friend, Captain Rainier, of the 'Norge' frigate, and whilst on board that ship, thinking it might be beneficial, and an amusement, to the sailors, he drilled the crew in an appropriate use of their cutlasses, and it met with such approbation and practice in other ships, that it ultimately became a portion of the instruction for the Navy, on board the 'Excellent' in Portsmouth.3

A woodcut created around 1860 by W. Thomas depicts "Sword Practice Aboard H.M.S. Britannia" and shows ridiculously young sailors practicing singlestick with a bearded master-at-arms... at the same close distance that characterizes early Victorian backswording systems.

Best,

Andrew Villaverde

http://classicalbladesociety.com

Few manuals were ever specifically dedicated to the use of the sidearm in the navies of the United Kingdom and the United States. Only within the last third of the 19th century–at a time when naval engagements no longer were decided by boarding and hand-to-hand combat but by long-distance artillery–do we find printed manuals issued to provide uniformity to naval sword practice.

Which does not mean that sword practice was neglected aboard warships in the preceding decades.

I admire your research!

We've been instructing in maritime boarding weapons for a couple of years now and came to the same conclusions. The classes we teach rely less on simple miltary style drills or Hutton, Lonergan, Waite, Corbsier and Angelo (though we consider them primary resources )and are more geared to mixing weapons styles and techniques common to the average crewman; one who, while he may have been exposed to naval sword exercises, is more at home brawling, knife fighting and grappling. It paints a bigger picture overall of the actual potential of this weapon once you stop thinking of it as a fat saber.

Its a bit off-topic for this forum, but we have a similar conversation going over on Capt. Twill's forum.

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."