Astrolabes

Fox

Captain Pete Straw, in Top 10 items for your pirate kit

QUOTE (Foxe @ Jun 5 2005, 05:55 PM)

...sextants, at least those we commonly come across, are not period for the GAoP, they were developed by Captain Campbell RN in the 1750s. An octant, Hadley quadrant, Davis quadrant, plain quadrant, cross-staff or astrolabe would be a fine and useful alternative. 

Agreed and understood, except...

The sextant was an easy purchase.

Decided to purchase several guns instead of one astrolabe. They just aren't cost-effective. The reason I have one as my avatar is... so I have at least ONE astrolabe, even if it's only a virtual one.

If someone finds a good source of affordable astrolabes, PLEASE start a new topic thread in PLUNDER.

First off, I was only pointing out the inauthenticity of sextants for those who might be horrified to learn that their gear wasn't quite right. If you're happy with 1750s gear as part of your pirate kit that's absolutely fine by me. And generally speaking yes, sextants are much cheaper and more easily available. Principally I think the problem is that none of the companies who make these repica instruments (Saunders and Cooke, Stanley of London etc) make mariner's astrolabes rather than the much more complex astronomical astrolabes. Mariner's astrolabes would be much cheaper than sextants if anyone made them!

However, if you did want to go more authentic I can think of a couple of places you might try. Steve Millingham used to sell a pewter mariner's astrolabe for about £40, it's not illustrated on his website but it would be worth emailing him to see if he still does them. Incidentally, he also does a fantastic Universal Ring Dial for a very reasonable price.

If you preferred to go wooden (yes, they had wooden instruments, often the particularly large ones were just too heavy to use if made in metal), I can sell you one, but I do only make to order. In addition to astrolabes I have also done in the past quadrants, cross-staffs, beautiful slate protractors copied from the Mary Rose, sounding leads, and various other bits and bobs. Like I said, everything is made bespoke so I can't offer quotes off the top of my head, but I'm pretty reasonably priced.

I have also seen Hadley quadrants for under £100, but I don't know who the supplier is I'm afraid.

Hope that helps.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

...they had wooden instruments, often the particularly large ones were just too heavy to use if made in metal

Though a wooden astrolabe is nice for learning how to use it, they were never used aboard a vessel.

A wooden astrolabe, as you so rightfully pointed out, is lightweight and that defies the entire purpose of an astrolabe. They were meant to be heavy, having a thickness of up to an inch of brass, so that gusts would not disturb the already extremely complicated process of sighting the sun or the north star.

Having built several astrolabes and other period instruments and used them aboard oceangoing ships myself, I can assure you that no pilot worth his salt pirateWink.gif would ever want to use a wooden one. Trying to sight Polaris with a lightweight astrolabe in everything but a light breeze borders on masochism.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Ahoy! I used my moderator powers to split this topic. Things were beginning to sound more "Capt Twill" than "Plunder." If anyone wants to post more info on where to buy good repros of tools useful to navigators, please feel free to do so.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Foxe! Thank you for posting this topic... I didn't think you would bother. I should have done so myself a long time ago, and I appreciate it being here. As soon as I get my head straight (I am going insane trying to find missing gear -- and it ain't cheap), I'll PM you about various products.

Capn Enigma -- Thank you VERY MUCH for the sources. But all you did was confirm my problem -- I am trying to get something cheaper. I am a patient person, and always succeeed in that goal, 'cuz I can wait FOREVER if bnecessary. However, if I get a sudden windfall of cash...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I've just had an email from Steve Millingham of Pewter Replicas. He does still make astrolabes but only to order.

They are working to the extent that they can be used for demonstration etc, and are probably the ideal thing for re-enactors (since they were in fact designed for re-enactors in the first place). The good news is that they sell for £35 (that's $63.66) + p&p

All this has inspired me to have a crack at making a metal astrolabe (hey, I did a theodolite last year, an astrolabe must be easier!) If it works I'll have the jigs etc so I'll be able to offer quotes on metal ones too.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I was in an ebay bidding war this morning with a Brit (probably someone on this board) over an astrolabe. I hate it when I am up against another determined bidder who knows the trick of throwing in a large bid at the very last instant, defeating the attempts of others to out-bid you.

They got it for US$ 58, but only because I forgot that I had to verify my bid in a second window before it would be posted. I literally lost this astrolabe by a matter of one or two seconds.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Blackjohn -- yes, that's what I was trying to do. Typically, I post near to my full price, and let it ride. Within a few hours of closing, I may "up" it if I weant it, but I don't overspend.

In this case (and that's how I have scored a few of my primo batarangs) I was DETERMINED. But forgot about that second window approval. Damn. Next time.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg